September 17th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/17/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sonya

John McCain has literally handed the presidency over to Barack Obama. But the polls are still tied??? I realize that there is discrimination in this country, But I never realized the multitude of people who would rather see this country fall than to vote for a black man, until now!

September 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Kacy

I don't care who wins. I wish we could have a consenus for once. A good old fasion land slide!

September 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  3. steven

At least now that the economy is in trouble we can get into some real issues...i was getting tired of the frivolous jabs

September 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Lisa --MI

It amazes me that anyone would want the Presidency with the mess that has been left to clean up.

September 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Keith

I hope the republicans don't bail out detroit; having part ownership in AIG is enough for me, even tho I wasn't asked to buy it.

September 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  6. patrick

does anyone else out there have a problem with the goverenment helping out big business but if you as a person make over $48,000 a year you can not file for protection under chapter 7. but we can use 85 billion dollars of our tax payer money to help a business that has been run the wrong way

September 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Emma

The Republican party nor the Democratic party has any responsibility of the Wall Street disaster. Greed, unethical behaviors, wrong choices, and such are the reason for this mess. People should not blame a current president or party or future party. Furhtermore, McCain is a republican but that does not mean that he will follow the path of Bush and does not mean that if elected the economy will get worse. McCain has experience and I would trust him better for fixing this mess than an inexperienced newbie.

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  8. MaryBeth

@David: that's the whole reason I don't trust polls. They don't get all of us gen-xers that don't have land lines. Our cell phone numbers aren't published, so how can we be called?

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Stefanie Morris

It is very disturbing to me that with all the crisis in this country on Wall Street and the financial woes that everyday Americans are facing, Barack Obama has a fundraiser charging over $9,000.00 just for his campaign. We are supposed to trust that he will change all this and make America better financially when he raises that kind of money to support his campaign just so he can win? That is obsurd!!!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Steve White

Has anyone noticed the annoying habit that Sarah Palin has of repeating the same words over and over in the same sentence when answering a question? I guess she is just trying to make the talking point fit the question

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Eric Walker

I am in S Florida and it is reported that the Republicans are sending out Do Not forward letters, return to sender, (better known as cagging)

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hopefully Florida will turn blue

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Sam

The whole world watching knows that Sarah Palin is not capable of doing the job.Will Americans vote for Mccain/Palin just because of gender?

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Tommy - Albany, NY

I wonder why Obama wont accept any town hall meetings with McCain? .... Oh I know, because he cant think for himself, he is a charismatic speaker, but thats about it

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Michelle

At what point do people and corporations take personal responsiblity? The Wall Street Crisis and housing crisis is the fault of the companies themselves.

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Denise

I saw palin's take questions, she never really answered direct, she played that same evasive game that the republicans have a history of doings. Don't say to much because it can and will be picked apart.

If she really want to win, she better get on board and answer questions direct and to the point, and stop fumbling over her words.

Denise

September 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. john

HOLY COW!!!!Did you see that townhall meeting in michigan with Palin and Mccain?WOW i would say great choice in VP...lmao omg what was this man thinking in choosing this lady??/Great judgement Mccain...lol..PLease call for the DEBATES NOW PLEASE....and please do more townhall meetings...lol

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Natalie

My mutual funds are in a free fall and have been for the last 3 months. I know I'm supposed to be investing for the long hall but this has me in a bit of a panic. I'm not rich enough to to be throwing away money. Nobody seems to provide any advise about what I should do.

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse NY

I've heard more than once that the Obama campaign is elated about the bad economic news. It helps their chances. Seems like Candy Crowley just confirmed that. Says a lot about Obama's love for his country.

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Betty Ann, Nacogdches,TX

Are you kidding? The stock market is crashing and the gulf of Texas is devastated. Pe0ple in my community still don't have electricity.
    Palin is an imposter. She makes me sick with her fasination of killing for fun.
    Kinda of makes me wish my internet and cable was still down. 🙁

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Marian

Wonder how McCain feels as he is constantly having to take a backseat to Palin – he is actually beginning to look out of place and one wonders who is really first on the ticket.

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. LaVelle from Atlanta, GA

Mccain and Sarah are complete liars, they keep dodging the important issues, while trying to scare Americans against Barack. Well Let me tell you this republicans, its not gonna happen this time around and not even a bulldog with lipstick will not keep me from voting for Barack.

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Julie Manthey

she's taking center stage at times because that's what the people want. They want to learn more about her. I don't see why this is such a surprise.

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Derrick Thomas

Is this a JOKE!! I just watched the comment Senator Palin made to the town hall meeting and I say if that's what it take to be a Vice Presidental sign me up!!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Curtis, CA

It is just horrific to make kids work on phone banks. It's like an extension of religious brainwashing.

September 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Glen, Fancy Farm, Ky

Palin stretches the truth with everything that comes out of her mouth.

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  27. deborah, OH

Hello, Erica!! Welcome!

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Joey

Watching Mccain and Palin reminds me of the "good cop/bad cop" scenario....when one person can't answer the question from the audience, the other one puts in a comment to throw the crowd off-task and then moves on to a completely different direction.

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Tamarra

Sarah Palin said she will give specifics if asked. She was asked and had nothing to say. Obama always have a plan.

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  30. David Wiggins

I think that if Obama is in a dead heat with McCain in polls he will win BIG come election time because so many young voters not only use cell-phones, but aren't home in the evenings to answer phone calls as well as live in dorms without listed numbers.

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Liz

Andrea – It's not just the rich. If you have a 401K it's going to be ugly or if even if you have annuities and the companies that insure them go under – you may not be protected (as I understand, it depends on the state you're in??)

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Jacquelineph, NY

Hi Anderson, Erica, Bloggers!

Am I the only one not worried about the market?

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  33. dan

why american people cannot see what the Mcain admin is all about it should be clear another 4 years of bush and worse on the foreign affairs

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Andrew FL

Does McCain and Sarah Palin represent change or is it just exchange... exchange for Bush and Cheney ?

September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Judie

Why was the woman at the town hall asking the question about womens rights of Palin reading her question from a card? Were these q&a pre planned?

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Shane

Hey Erica and AC,

Just watched Candy's update from the Obama trail. Is that gal having the time of her reporter life out there or what? Tell her I can't WAIT to read her book ( I assume she will write one) when all of this craziness is over. Keep up the good work. I am counting on all of you.

Shane

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Preston - Puyallup WA

Hi Erica

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Barbara in NC

Palin acting like Rove and the others already – no transparency. What gives there? She’s hiding something.

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Phil in NE Florida

Ok, honestly now, which seems more like a scripted episode, the republicans today at town hall,...or SNL this Saturday night? I can't tell the difference :<

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. ericacnn

Hellloooo, bloggers!

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. marlon

I'm pretty BITTER that Sarah Palin has not taken any serious questions from the public. Seeing her foreign policy nonanswer today just goes to show you that John McCain made his choice on political calculation and not based on someone he believed would be ready on day one.

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. jesse tatro

AC can you explain to me why, the Democratic Congress which has over sight of many of these areas which are experiencing duress in this financial crisis, are not being held to account ? Everyone knows the Presidency has little or no effect in such matters ?

jesse tatro
    massena NY

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Bob

Sarah Palin did not answer the question posed at the town hall meeting in MI. It is clear she did not have any specfics with regard to foreign policy experience. She dodged the question completely. It is clear she is not ready to be VP. Biden is. Obama is the visionary for change that is sorely needed. McCain has no idea what kind of change we need. Obama is the best candidate by far.

September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Diana

Why can't McCain and Palin ever give a Straight answer on any question?.. How can he do anything for the economy with all of the lobbyist on his staff and in his pocket?

September 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Chrissy

i just watched the piece on 360, with palin & mc cain at their town hall meeting, did anyone else get the impression that they just didn't answer the questions they were asked?

September 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  46. deborah, OH

Palin seems to be overshadowing McCain–what does that say about him & his ability to lead? And Biden & McCain have been in Washington a long time–doing EXACTLY WHAT so the country can end up like this right now??!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm getting tired of all the 'blame the Republicans'. Congress has oversight authority and is controlled by Democrats. It has done zip in the last 2 years to take any corrective action.

September 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Perry

Anyone see those clips from the town hall with Sarah Palin? Wow, talk about weak. I wanted to hear even one specific on that economic empowerment for women and that foreign policy question, and she didn't even answer. I am so not convinced by that

September 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Fay, CA

The real test for Palin in terms of what she does or doesn't know about the economy, and foreign and domestic policy will be in the debates–she doesn't even sound surefooted in the "friendly" territory of her own supporters.

September 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Margaret Wilson

When did our country get into the biz of buying corporations? Who approved this deal? Is this a new form of welfare for the unpoor?

September 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm |