September 17th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/17/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jen Gallo

Helloooo Erica,Coop and everyone......
    This is a REALLY scary time and I can only pray that we are ready to create a shift.Its time to create change but the truth being its going to take everyone's participation–no one president/person can do it alone....no matter how much "fighting" he has done for the country-Lol!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Cassie

The Republicans are not answering what they are going to do with the economy. I have not heard any plans come out of there mouths during this economic down turn. Anderson why ain't the Republicans giving us thier policies to fix this mess not the same old stump speech?

September 17, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  3. MaryBeth

Supposedly, the buyout of AIG was to save us...that's what the govt is saying..that AIG is too important to let fail and if it did fail, we would suffer horribly, possibly plunge straight into a depression...so the govt did it to save the American ppl...*shrug*

September 17, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Chris

I would like to see the candidates stop all of the bashing and get to the point! We need decisions on the economy and world affairs. Not mud slinging!

September 17, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Robin

Did I just hear Anderson say we lost $700 Billion dollars today? $700 BILLION. We are not headed towards a recession, we are headed towards a depression.

September 17, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  6. RJ

Nice job, CNN, of chopping up the McCain-Palin town hall meeting. I watched it and it was awful. She stumbled on the foreign policy question. But, who would know it watching your chopped broadcast.

September 17, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Kyle

Anderson, I was wondering if the CNN or National Polls take into account the massive number of young adults who only use cell phones.

September 17, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Jane Toms

Cindy Crowley has just said "the Obama campaign are rejoicing because they have had a great week, because wall street is in trouble", who wants a president who rejoices when things are going wrong?????

September 17, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Franco Russo

By the way it was Senator McCain that warned everyone that this would happen and introduced a regulatory bill to prevent this but it was blocked by none other than the Democrats....so please spare me that this is all Republican based.

I'm an independant and more and more of us are goin McCain. Obama is continually taking the high road and more and more he is being caught with his hand in the cookie jar

September 17, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  10. ebony

Palin is truly a politician! She did not give an answer to any of the questions! She really scares me!

September 17, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Nicole A. - Indianapolis

Wow! She still couldn't offer any specifics.

September 17, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Tom K, Frankfort NY

The more scrutiny this gets the more likely that those Wall Street execs had better spend their ill gotten money on defense lawyers...
    Also I would not look to travel to any countries where they could be indicted. or worse. And how can John McCain so conveniently repudiate his party's political philosophy that browbeats government
    regulation?

September 17, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

Who is the one running for predident, Palin or McCain? Sounds like she is the one taking center stage

September 17, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Barbara in NC

Maverick = unpredictable, reckless. We need predictable and stable. We need someone that is an expert on the Constitution and lives by it. NOT two mavericks that have short fuzes.

September 17, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  15. Markus L.

The so called Town Hall Meeting was pre-ticketed. So all those people where Republicans i guess !

September 17, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Dave

I would like to see both candidates go in to "Town Hall Meetings" of the other side and answer real questions.

September 17, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Margaret Wilson

Too much greed that it is a plague of the elite. I am not asking for a million dollars just be able to afford a life without killing myself or running over dedicated honest hard working employees.

September 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. andrea

Are we bailing out the rich again ?

September 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Tracey, NYC

Obama.....keep talking about the issues and how you will turn around this horrible Economy...and people will come around eventually even if they do not want to....

September 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Sebastian

Here is something to think about, for 85 billion, you could have every citizen with healthcare, fully covered health care.......by saving AIG, I think the US government just bought that for everyone.....?

September 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Dave

Yes Palin took questions, only she didn't really answer them to much, but something is better then nothing

September 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers...
    Ouch!!!! not good day for stock wall!!!!! it is very scary!!!! if we are going to broke or no money going down and down.......

September 17, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Clarence...That 700 billion loss is primarily all on paper. The reference is to the value of stocks that are held, not actually cash losses from sales.

September 17, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Dave

Has any one taken a look in to the people that are being polled? how about an investigation in to the demographic that gets polled. Lets keep the polls honest, depending on where they are taken will drastically change the results.

September 17, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  25. ebony

I pray Obama get's it but I feel sorry that he will inherit all these problems! But I truly believe that he is progressive and carry us forward!

September 17, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Nicole A. - Indianapolis

I know why the polls reflect that the race is closer than it should be...."That pink elephant in the room" that nobody is going to talk about. And that's unfortunate.

September 17, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Jason-Tampa, FL

Tracy in NYC, Biden is also at fault at this 36+yrs in the Senate and by the way VOTED for the Credit Card companies going against regular people like YOU & I

September 17, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Jatovi, NC

I don't know if anyone saw the town hall meeting for town hall meeting McCain and Palin had, but she is bad, and not good bad just bad bad. Her answer, if you can call it that, to the national security question was embarrassing.

September 17, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Jana, Indiana

And how many years have Biden been in Washington? I think as long or if not longer than McCain.

September 17, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama seems to forget that Biden has been in Washington his whole adult life, and thet Chris Dodd (D-CT) has oversight responsibility for the areas of the economy that are failing.

September 17, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Margaret Wilson

Excuse any typos but I have had to work long hours to afford our economy 🙁 Working hard on future partial ownership of the business I work for.

September 17, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, people blogging. Coming clean on the stock market? Seems like we've been coming clean all year. That's people's hard earned money.

September 17, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Clarence, Albuquerque

Did I hear correctly? 700 Billion lost on wall street? Even with 89 Billion promised to AIG? I think I'm more worried about the presidential race of my Ben Franklins and George Washingtons
    to the poor house.

September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. MaryBeth

What is the deal with teleprompters? Why is the media suddenly so against them? Aren't they kind of like note cards?

September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Fay, CA

It's not surprising that McCain and Palin are taking a hit in the polls–the economy is in a shambles and neither he nor his running mate seem to have a clue how to deal with it.

September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Veronica, NV

I just saw Barack Obama here in Las Vegas. He is right on track with his change message. He was great.

September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Dulcie

It's so scary, I found myself laughing today. Because it's either laugh or cry. I'm no economic wiz, but I could see this coming last spring.

Doesn't make me feel one bit better. Cripes, it's a bloodbath. We desperately need REAL change and not more of the Republican Cabal.

September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. ebony

How can McCain say we're not going to stand for it in Washington anymore when he has been part of the corruption and the deregulation? We can't afford to have 4 more years! 8 is enought!

September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. jackie Chino Hills, CA

if you notice through this, about, 2 year election coverage, we kind of went over the issues....started with the war, then global warming, then oil, now the economy. thought about last night. i'm sure i've missed some stuff.

September 17, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. MaryBeth

Wall Street got greedy. The whole deregulation/nonregulation of these companies is the problem...and the GOP was in charge of all that.

September 17, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Margaret Wilson

This is something everyone should be looking at closely. Where were the regulators?

September 17, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

This is getting crazy.

September 17, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Barbara in NC

I took out my stable stocks today and bought HARD GOLD. The millionaires cannot steal that from me.

Do the millionaires endorsing McCain make you want to vote FOR THE MILLIONAIRES? Not me

September 17, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. deborah, OH

Yes, exactly what is this country 'sliding' into?

September 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. ebony

Even if it stops we are in so much debt to all the other countries they can just take us over!

September 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Tracey, NYC

BIDEN will make a better VP any day....hands down!

The Economy is tanking.......OMG

The Dow went down 449 points!! Asian markets are starting to turns as well......

September 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Margaret Wilson

What is with everybody? Don't they remember that these wallstreet firms are the ones the Republicans wanted us to trust with social security should it have been privitized!!!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  48. ebony

Anybody that is willing to give the Republican's another chance to take us even further into this crisis has got to be a foo! I'm scared and I know for sure we definitely need a change! We can't keep doing the same thing over and over again!

September 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Veronica, NV

Good Evening Everyone!

Looks like Wall Street is in deep trouble.

September 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  50. MaryBeth

Hrm....are we sliding into a depression?

September 17, 2008 at 10:01 pm |