September 17th, 2008

360 Webcast

David M. Reisner
AC360 Digital Producer

We promised you more interactivity and more behind-the-scenes action on AC360 and AC360.com.
Well, here it is!

Introducing '360 Webcast'

AC360's very own Erica Hill takes you behind the scenes during AC360's commercial breaks. It's a look you can't see anywhere else.

So here's what you do:

1. Watch the show (...duh)
  2. Log on to AC360.COM (...I think you are already there!)
  3. Click on this link
  4. and stay tuned during commerical breaks for all the inside action.

It's a really fun new way of watching the show. Before guests walk off the set, they'll chat with Erica... Its a chance for us to get in any last minute questions,  and give them feedback from the live blog. Take a look at last night's '360 Webcast' for some last minute tips Suze Orman gave during the break:

But wait, theres more!
Learn some of the 'inside TV' terms we use on the program, see how we search for stories, and learn just how we bring our nightly newscast to your living rooms and laptops.

So what are you waiting for!?!

Oh... right... '360 Webcast' will be on from 10p ET – 11p ET

Here another great examples of what happens on '360 Webcast' during commericials.
Turns out, the jokes are even funnier when you know whats been going on behind the scenes!

Check out this clip at around 3:35 in to see what i'm talking about. Who knew Beat 360 could be even funnier.

So make sure to watch tonight! See you online!

Filed under: 360 Webcast • Behind The Scenes • T1
  1. Craig - Madison, WI

David (and Anderson),
    I have a question about CNN (and other news organizations) on how you cover the campaign. Why do you continue to show coverage of a campaign talking about points which have been proven to be wrong? Isn't showing these clips sort of aiding and abetting a crime ? Seriously, if something is debunked or clearly spun to distort the facts, why continue to show these yahoo's saying the same lie again ? If you do show it, why are you not calling them out EVERY time the clip has finished. Isn't your job to keep them honest ? Isn't your job to keep the public properly informed ? Some of this stuff is totally rediculous, and yet you guys (and others) keep playing it.

You must realize that there are people who decide their vote based on your snips of coverage. Some may only decide their vote by watching 1 specific night of news. If you don't stay on top of these campaigns EVERY day, you are not doing your job.

Please, I'd love for Anderson to explain this.

September 18, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  2. gerryf

can we just buy a tee shirt that says I watch anderson coper ac360 on CNN that would be nice. I will never be fast enough to win the beat 360 but I would like a nice shirt!!!

September 18, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  3. Ratna, New York, NY

Yes! I liked Suze Orman behind the scenes and the additional tips given on the webcast.

Uncensored for the anchors, but not for the bloggers. But anyway, censoring bloggers is okay! God knows whether the next blogger could be my future employer. Yah bad CNN blog comments don't look good on my resume either.

September 18, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  4. Alheli Picazo, ("Ala-Lee Picasso"), Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Here's another one:

"360 Unscripted"

September 18, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  5. Mike

Interesting piece.., really enjoyed it. Hope there will be more 'behind'the'scenes' ? Anderson Cooper and Erika Hill.., you make a good team. I do have one problem though.., when I watch the show and you mention a question and ask for our comments/"blogging'.., I run into a problem. I 'do not' have a laptop computer when I sit in my recliner watching the show. I 'do have' a computer room with computer (well.., that makes sense). I have to get up from my recliner to go to the computer room to participate on the question, issue, topic, story, 'blog', etc.. Then I miss part of your show. So, I have to wait until your show is over before I can participate in the discussion. All of us.., don't have a laptop computer linked up to the internet to immediately participate in the discussion. Most of us have to wait unitl your show is over to participate ('blog') on your stories, questions, issues/topics, etc. Mike in Montana

September 18, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  6. Alheli Picazo, ("Ala-Lee Picasso"), Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Or maybe

"Inside the Ring"

September 18, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  7. Alheli Picazo, ("Ala-Lee Picasso"), Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"The Radius" (because AC is 360 degrees and Erica is giving us the inside look!)

September 18, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  8. Alheli Picazo, ("Ala-Lee Picasso"), Calgary, Alberta, Canada

What about

"Eyes on Erica"

"Behind The Camera"

"Behind the Lens"

"Beyond the Lens"

"The Next Degree"

September 18, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  9. mike najam

AMERICA INSIDER

September 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  10. mike najam

hey guys i love your show
    how about this name for ecica show
    <<>>
    GOOD LUCK

September 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  11. Elizabeth

Oooh yeah Jolene, seeing inside the control room would be interesting! I don't know if you guys are allowed to do it for security reasons or something like that though...

What about AmERICAm or AmErica Cam

You get America plus Erica plus cam

We like all three of those things don't we?

September 18, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  12. dominic (toronto)

can you guys post erica's webcast online after each show? i can never log in quick enough because of the traffic! love to see erica more often!

September 18, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  13. Lizzy

I agree with the poster who said that Erica should be the permanent anchor in Campbell Brown's time slot.

September 18, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  14. Cherisa

I had gotten out of the habit of following the live blog, but I caught the webcast last night. Definitely adds to the appeal, showing a side of all of you that we don't get to see much. Good job, Erica.

September 18, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  15. Fay, CA

I second the comment by Mchelle Fonthill in Canada who'd like to see the webcast on cnn.video after they've aired–it's the only way I can watch it–it would be great if the webcasts could be added each day to cnn video for those of us who can't access them during the show.

September 18, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  16. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Erica's view from 360 degrees

September 18, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  17. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi there, The webcasts are so much fun. It makes the show more interesting and informative. It was great to hear from the guests impromptu like that. Very good idea – it's a lot of fun. Erica does a great job with it. Thanks.

September 18, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  18. pat napolitano

Anderson...love your show and Erica also. Gives me a laugh in this fearful times we live in. Feel you are the fairest and most honest of all newscasters. If only others would do the same instead of slanting the stories to their own preferences. i.e. Shawn Hannity.
    Keep up the good work.

September 18, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  19. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

I love the idea of the webcast but unfourntuatley I can't see it during the show .I gues it's issue with my system.I would like to see liks of it on the video link on cnn website that would be great . I also had some idea as to what to call your segment:Techno-chatter with Erica,or Erica's cyber web? it's just an idea.
    thanks for this feature.
    See you on 360

September 18, 2008 at 9:40 am |
  20. Robert

how about this one, I AM-ERICA Blog.com

September 18, 2008 at 3:31 am |
  21. Robert

Erica 360
    Erica 360+1
    Erica's Blog on Am-Erica

September 18, 2008 at 3:18 am |
  22. Ike not the Hurricane

There's about 3 minute commercial breaks between segments right? Why not call this EH180...180 seconds in 3 minutes....or perhpas EH240 if they are 4 minute intervals? Erica, you can paypal me my royalties any time sugar! ; )

September 18, 2008 at 2:49 am |
  23. Grant Gould

Regarding the name for Erica Hill program....How about eBreak

September 18, 2008 at 2:25 am |
  24. Rik Steernberg

Cam Behind the Hill
    Erica Hill Hits
    The Hits behind AC
    Hill's hits behind the 360
    AC 360's 2nd Demension

September 18, 2008 at 2:00 am |
  25. Jolene

Erica is doing a great job with the webcasts and I wish her the best in luck in getting AC his own mic. I think that’s the easy part, it’s getting Cooper to actually use the mic that will be the hard part I’m sure.

Here’s my suggestion for what to call them. Since they are broadcasted during the commercial “breaks”, how about calling them “360 Web Breaks” or if you want to get fancy:

– 360 Web Break-aways
    – Gimme a 360 Web Break
    – 360 Web Breakouts (maybe not this one… some might think they will get a zit watching them)
    – Inside Studio 360 Web Breaks

It would also be cool to see the control room during some of them. Good Luck!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

September 18, 2008 at 1:56 am |
  26. sohnn

I like the show, esp Erica ..............................

September 18, 2008 at 12:43 am |
  27. Gus Roros-Baltimore, MD

we understand your looking for a name for Erica's web cast, my husband thought of a great one, Ericast, please let us know what you think. Thanks!

September 17, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  28. Justin R

I think you should call your Webcast "Ericast."

September 17, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  29. Nan C

Congrats Erica!

September 17, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  30. Sharlene

Haven't watched Erica's "infomercials" yet, but Anderson did ask about a name for her show – how about "Erica's Extra's"?

September 17, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  31. dorothy

Hi Erica

Does your webcam come up every commercial or just on some of them? Curious because I don't get them on every commercial.

I love behind the scenes!

MODERATOR: right now Erica hosts the webcast during three commercial breaks. We hope to add more in the future.

September 17, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  32. Scott McLauchlan

Great stuff! Give the segment host a little more credit though, so how about naming it "Ericam 360".

Scott
    Toronto, Ontario
    Canada

September 17, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  33. Tim O'Neil

Good Evening,

First thanks for your reporting and reaching out!

I listen to all sides of an issue and look for people I feel provide the same. I look for those who provide as a courtesy but provide an open mind to what is happening. For what it is worth, I feel we are being attack both economically (stock market's movements) and recent terrorist attacks are some how inter-related??

R/TimO

September 17, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  34. Colton, San Jose, CA

HEY DAVID!!!!
    This is the coolest thing EVER!!! And you say you need a name? What about...Erica's Effusive....Because effusive..is a synonym for show..i guess... I just thought it ought to be catchy and fancy(Like Anderson said) Hope this helped...i might be back with more...And if you use one of my ideas do i get a AC 360 T-shirt!?!?!?!!?! I NEED ONE....thanks! You guys are the greatest =D

September 17, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  35. bertran murphy

I love the webcast, but why is it not provided in Quicktime as well? Window Media Player is a drag and doesn't offer near the quality of Quicktime. Also, why bother with a popup window for the video? Why not simply embed it in the page? There should be no need to turn off my popup blocker in order to see the video.

As for a name how about just "EH 180"? Or "EH 360+"?

And why not just dump Campbell Brown and give Erica Hill the time slot? She is infintely superior to Campbell Brown. Infinitely superior.

September 17, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  36. Derek Elrod

I love this webcast that Erica Hill is doing during the commercials!!! This is fantastic! Keep it up every night! It makes me feel more connected and it is very fun! Good job as always Erica!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  37. Tyrone, San Francisco, Ca

I’m so much in love with CNN, I watch everything! Twice!!
    I think the ‘360 Webcast’ should be renamed “Erica>>>All Around”
    keep up the Great Work!!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  38. Wayne

Sooo ya need a name for the spots?

I'm thinkin', "Erica Between the Lines"

It does make sense if ya.. read between the lines. 🙂

September 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Dale Tuller

What about calling these the EriCast!

September 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Amanda Silver

Hey Anderson,
    I love your show! You and Erica are quite the pair. Here's an idea for Erica's webcast: why not call it "ERI-CAST"?
    Luv Ya!
    -Amanda

September 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Akeim- Jacksonville FL

I love you guys. I have a Kathy Griffin Crush on the both of ya *LOL*

September 17, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Akeim- Jacksonville FL

Andercam and Hills eye view.

September 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Bob

Erica,

You said tonight you need a name for your webcast? How about the ERICAST?

September 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Maureen/CA

I am Charcoal Sniper Palin. My friend sent this link to me earlier. Fun! Thanks Erica

September 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  45. jackie Chino Hills, CA

i love the webcast! erica is the best, hands down. much love =)

September 17, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  46. Heidi Berg

This was really funny

September 17, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  47. Maureen/CA

Okey dokey – I will give this a try. Hey Anderson – who will be moderating next Friday's debate and will they be asking questions from voters?

September 17, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  48. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hey David,

Any chance that you guys can post the webcam spots on the blog each day as you have here?

Typically I am so engrossed in the show that if I try to do this at the same time my head threatens explode. Hate to miss the good stuff.

Much appreciated.

September 17, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo David!
    It is awesome webcast!!!! I'm enjoying watch webcast durning break time....... It's so funny to watch Anderson Cooper with Erica....... Maybe you need this " The Shot" to show viewer in the country!!!! I did clink the link once! That is cool I watch webcast!!!! Thank you so much for share with me....... See you there online!
    Megan D.......
    Shoreline, Wa

September 17, 2008 at 9:08 pm |
  50. Annie Kate

All these features – its all I can do to keep up with the show but I'll try this – sounds like fun. I especially liked the thing with Anderson where he was deprived of his blackberry for 5 minutes and he said he took it to the shower with him. I guess he could have worse habits but having had a blackberry for my last job I'm not so sure what that would be. Anderson – there is life without a blackberry – I overcame my addiction – you can too!! (Just teasing but my family thought it was a hoot remembering mine).

Annie Kate