September 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/16/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Marty from PA

GM should lobby the fed to provide a special exemption or tax credit for early orders to purchase the Volt. Nice ride!!

September 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Jennifer - Michigan

Good night Erica and Anderson. Excellent show tonight.

September 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Lisa in MI

The Volt has been in the news a lot here in MI. Touted as perfect for daily commute...40 miles, no need for gasoline.

September 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

Anderson, why don't you just tell the pizza place to make the pizza without cheese?

September 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Lisa L

NASTY!! Pizza Man Yuck!

September 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  6. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Oh boy, I can hardly wait for my next pizza! Thanks for a stimulating blog and a great show! Good night gang!

September 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar

Good night Anderson, Erica and best blogger!!!!
    Have a great night!!!! Sleep tight!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Whoa!!!! that is so not good idea with the shot!!!!! made me sick!!!!

September 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Tuesday Evening..The Shot of the Day proves one thing. Pizza and a few germs won't kill you. Of course it's best not to see how a meal is prepared or delivered!! Night all.

September 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Joanne

New to blogging.. hi to all.
    I have to agree with Kathy from Chicago. All these banks saw money instead of twhat people could "REALLY" afford for mortgages. They need ( coporate America) look at thier long term goals that don't include government bailout.

September 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Tracy Kennedy, Colonial Heights, VA

Well, goodnight everyone!

Great show, 360 team! It was definitely worth procrastinating my homework for!

September 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Clarence, Albuquerque

I'll have the ' rocky road' pizza. thank you. and make the crust a little crunchier than usual. and if you need a tip ,,,, remember to wash your hands before eating.

September 16, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Michelle

Palin and Troopergate –

What is done in the dark, will come to the light. Whoo ooh! I wanted her to fall off the face of the earth.

My womens intuition says she is bad, very bad.

September 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Robin

I think the more the McCain camp tries to derail the "Troopergate" investigation the more Palin appears guilty of abuse of power.

September 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Jacqui Chan

imagine if the government actually got to the bottom of this whole Sara Palin fiasco and actually gave us the whole truth for once

September 16, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Michelle

Are there real and severe consequences in place against upper management in the cases where these mega companies fail? Severe like, lost of upper management jobs, lost of parachute packages, etc? After all these failures were on their watch, therefore, their failures. What can we do to make sure this happens? Why does the average tax payer have to pay to save them, and they simply walk away rich?

September 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Edwin from Va

I will cooperate with toopergate, no wait I will not... wait it is executive privilege, who is this talking Karl Rove?? No is Sara who??

Sounds like an old story..

September 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Ron

Good Evening all:

I tuned in this morning to find out that the federal government was bailing out another financial institution. What about the rest of us that are suffering because Washington won't just get it right.

September 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Tracy Kennedy, Colonial Heights, VA

Woo! That's what Congress should be giving $85 billion towards! I'd love to have me an electric car!!

September 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I saw that Chevy VOLT at the L.A. auto show . It was my favorite of all at the show. Very cool, very creative, very stylish, but rather small (not sure how practical).

September 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Polling in Indiana has consistantly showed McCain ahead. Colorado and New Mexico are more likely to swing for Obama then Indiana, although McCain has moved up in most battleground states since the Republican convention.

September 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Heather

Finally bringing the electric car back!

September 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Brittany

Why would the Feds bail out Bear Stehrns and not AIG? What do they use in their decision making in such a situation as this. Will this information be made public, being that it is our tax dollars keeping these companies afloat. I do not disagree with the bail out. Although I wish it didn't have to happen. It would have been bad for them to file bankruptcy.

September 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Jennifer - Michigan

I think we're all having a hard time looking at our accounts. I try not to look, just put it in the file.

September 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Lisa from Arizona

Open and honest? I cannot believe the lowhanded campaign McCain in running. And Palin, now not going to cooperate with the "Troopergate" investigation, with the campaign stating it is tainted.
    3 Republicans and 2 Democrats were on the council that asked for the Subpoenas.. What is she hiding?

September 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Heather

The fall of all these financial institutions is just the beginning. This isnt over.

September 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Lisa L

Let's All Do Our Part... Get out and Register at least 2 people to Vote and also make sure you get them to the poll. Sept 30th Is Blue Day for Obama..

September 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Patty

Matt,

Your right on! I couln't agree more or said it better.

September 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Edwin from Va

Gregg
    I am doing the same in Va.. This is a challenge but we have to try.

September 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Katt in FL

Hi Everyone,
    I live in Florida and I see a change in the air, I think Obama will take Florida. I hear the frustration all arond me, people really are sick of the same ol' samo.

September 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Elizabeth - NYC

I am glad the govt is going to help AIG. But these big companies need to get their act together and clean up their balance sheets and protect their future. Corporate America needs to have a long-term view instead of Short-term.

Regarding the candidates, they have a big job ahead of them. Let's face it this country has a lot of issues whoever wins will not have it easy.

September 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Heather

Suze is amazing and smart.Always helpful.

September 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Christine

Obama is really sure of himself. I really hope all the people who think that he will cure all ills are ready to face the ruin of our country.

I trust NO poll as I know of no one who has ever been involved in one.

September 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Chuck, Minnesota

For McCain to claim the economy is in good shape proves he has a more positive outlook than Obama. Obama is too negative ... not a good trait in a leader. A leader with a positive vision for the country and the economy is what is needed ... not negative.

September 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  34. ron

Good program, as usual.

I am wondering, though, when you show the candidates, as you did tonight, you showed everyone but BIDEN. He had some great comments on the financial crisis today and deserved equal time to Palin, don't you think?

Ron

September 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Richard Press

John McCain has repeatedly and on many occasions stated that the fundamentals of the economy are strong. His statement yesterday was just another time he has stated this and obviously was the wrong thing to say in the face of the wall street melt down. But it's not the first time he said it nor was it misinterpreted as your broadcast has implied.

September 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Doug DeMarco

What in the world is the government doing? The CEO's and Shareholders of these companies should be going to jail. If the econony crashes because of their actions, they should be sent to prison for their actions. They have raped the economy, rape is a felony!!!!!!!

September 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Guy Thornsberry

Im in South Bend Indiana now and there is a lot of truth to your topic.
    Everyone i talk with is Obama hands down.

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Kathy, Chicago

Obama could get Northern IN and Indy, but the rest of In. is up for grabs.

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  39. mack

We pay taxes to the IRS so the IRS can pay their debt to the Federal Reserve Bank and the F R B will lend 85bil that the IRS will tax us to pay that debt for AIG. WOW!

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Thanks Ernie, I wondered if any of the candidates had sounded the warning before it ballooned into this mess.

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Dorothy

What worries me is that people will hold onto this "illusion" of Palin that they seem to have and not really look at the reality of the issues.

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  42. EJ (USA)

It's hard to pay down credit card debt when one doesn't have a job. People in Ohio and Indiana should really be voting on the economy – but I doubt it.

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Jacqui Chan

wow that's wonderful there should be more people around registering peops 2 vote! I think the government makes it to hard; why is there a 30 day cut-off. It's unnecessary and it keeps thousands of citizens away every time!

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |