September 16th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Be well

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

In the aftermath of Ike, that goodwill we hear so much about in times of trouble is – I am happy to report – alive and well.
__________

BPA is the new evil doer. There’s been so much talk about this plastic ingredient and what it could do to you and your kids, that nothing seems safe anymore. You buy a reusable plastic bottle thinking it’s not only cheaper than buying bottled water, but also better for the planet, only to find out the earth-friendly vessel could be linked to risks of heart disease and diabetes.

Parents I know were understandably freaked out. Some switched to glad bottles for their babies, others got rid of all the plastic cups in their house and replaced them with BPA-free models or metal sports bottles, and most decided the convenience of the dishwasher wasn’t worth the risk of leaching chemicals. But it turns out, most of us already have some BPA floating through our bodies.

The FDA has said BPA is safe, but recommends avoiding plastic containers marked with the recycling number “7” and not warming up food in plastic containers. But a new study today from the American Medical Association now says those health concerns “deserve scientific follow-up”. What’s the real story here? Check out this link.

__________

If you enjoyed Tina Fey on SNL, you may like this snappy wrap of fellow Sarah Palin impersonators from one of my favorite CNN correspondents, Jeanne Moos.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. vicki

I live in Oregon where we recycle everything we can. BUT, when we go on a trip, or to a park, etc. there aren't always places to recycle things. I think companies that sell bottled water, should be charged an amount. to go toward recycling efforts, in public places. Make recycling easy to do, and most people will participate. They make a fortune on this water, so they should be able to help in recycling efforts as well.

September 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Annie Kate

All the Palin impersonators are great! That was so funny. Thanks for pointing it out to us Erica – it was really good for a few smiles.

Sometimes I think science is going to find out everything we use is bad for us. If it isn't natural I guess we should assume it might have a negative effect on us. Nature knows best I think.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 16, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  3. Heather

I recycle every water bottle and collect the five cents I paid when I buy the packs of water.

September 16, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  4. Eugenia-San Francisco, Ca

Hi,
    I see people buying cases of bottled water at Costco, can't help but to think where all of the used plastic bottles are going. If you add in the factor that they release chemicals into the water, I just can't understand why people buy them. They have REVERSE OSMOSIS systems that go under your kitchen sink, if you buy a couple metal sports bottles your set for years!

September 16, 2008 at 8:31 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Erica!!!
    I agree with you...... I am glad that people are safe in Texas aftermath Ike. Thanks for posting or share with me........ I agree with you!!! My favorite is Saturday Night Live Tina Fey, she made me so laugh, but Jeannie Moos..... she is so funny one!!!! I will see you soon tonight on Live Blog and program. See you there!
    Megan D.......
    Shoreline, Wa

September 16, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  6. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Hi Erica., love everything you post.. I think Mrs.Palin should be a preacher, the republicans think shes "Saint Palin".. see you tonight.

September 16, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  7. Heather,Ca,US

Hello Erica,

I am completely and totally confused when it comes to this chemical that it is plastic. I know that one chemical is used to make plastic bendable. I know that you are not supposed to put bottle water in warm uninsulated places because the chemicals in the plastic in hot temperatures will leak into the water. I guess another study was done linking it to criminal behavior. It does not help when the FDA and the AMA don't agree on studies and their findings. It puts us the consumer in a state of confusion. The invention of plastic is incredible and it has changed the way we live our lives. Its amazing what they can do with polymers. However, there has to be some joint agreed upon opinion that we can follow. We all need the correct and supported information to make a well informed decision about what plastics are safe and what plastics are not. There has to be regulation of some kind.

I thought Tina Fey and Amy were hilarious. I also thought Gina was really funny to. I did not find the women with the baby on her back holding a weapon of mass distraction funny,I thought it was scarry.

September 16, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  8. Mimi

The day Senator McCain announced Govenor Palin as his VP pick her financial records should have been open for review, whats the hold up, are they trying to doctor her financial records? And whats this about Palin not cooperating with the investigation in Alaska? I wonder what else Palin is hiding.

September 16, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  9. Kelsey

Hi Erica,
    Thanks for posting....it's always great to stop by this site and read a message from you!

I feel really strongly about this plastic debate. I am currently switching from plastics to other types of containers. Not only is plastic bad for the enviroment, (and uses oil to produce) but there are a lot of concerns about the health of using these products. I hope that the FDA and AMA do some serious looking into all plastic products.

September 16, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  10. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Erica,
    I stopped heating foods and liquids in plastic many years ago. Who knows if it's dangerous or not? It seems to be still in question. I just figure better to be safe than sorry.
    The SNL skit was really funny! Tina Fey does a great inpersonation. Have a good night, see you later.

September 16, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  11. Madeline

Pete, cite your sources. This is the first time I've heard about the "army of lawyers." From what I've heard, Palin has a lawyer to represent her in the investigation which is smart. Also, every single American has the right to consult with a lawyer.....it's not a right that is unique to just Republicans.

September 16, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  12. DA in Arizona

Hi Erica! You know, with all the issues now with plastic bottles and BPA, it's almost as if you can't win! Everyday it is something else that will cause cancer, or create other health issues. But, I have stopped using plastic in the microwave, and have purchased an aluminum water bottle.

I loved Tina Fey as Sarah Palin on SNL. I hope they find a way to get Tina on every now and then to impersonate Sarah. Too funny!!

September 16, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  13. Ratna, New York, NY

Erica,

I remember those good old days when my younger sister was still a baby. We used glass baby bottles and I helped mom sterilize these bottles and nipples.

I hope that everyone gets enough of Sarah Palin and get bored of her.

September 16, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  14. Pete From Texas

We have already seen the Republicans (Bush Admin) refuse to appear before Congress under subpeonas for specific investigations. I understand an army of lawyers(representing Palin) showed up in Alaska the day after her nomination. With the blocking of investigation of her abuse of power– Are we now already seeing more of the same "Republicans do not not have to abide by the same laws" as the rest of us do? I am so disgusted with anyone who does not open their eyes and ears to the blatant disregard for Americans that has been displayed and continue to be displayed by the Republicans. I am an American and I believe our constitution and laws provides equality for all. Vote for Obama–don't let the republicans still the heart and soul of America.

September 16, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  15. Alexander

Good to see you posting again, Erica. As always, I agree with your viewpoints and am glad you shared them.: )

September 16, 2008 at 7:00 pm |