September 13th, 2008

Bacliff Residents Not Evacuating

Rick Bastien
CNN Media Producer

In Bacliff, many residents not evacuating...

When asked how he has prepared for the storm, resident Steven Alexander said "it ain’t nothing but a little wind and rain." Steven said he’s been nearly a lifelong resident of Bacliff, but he hadn’t done any preparations for Hurricane Ike; he was only concerned with flooding. This sentiment is shared with several other residents of the small Galveston Bay town.

Charles Slaydon has also lived in Bacliff his entire life, and he survived a typhoon during Vietnam war while staying on a Navy ship. Slaydon runs a local business repairing and buildings masts for boats, and joked that the hurricane could "break every one of those masts." But Slaydon, who carries his pet parrot, Gracie, on his shoulder, also acknowledged that Ike is going to be a lot worse than the locals expect, saying "there’s a lot of people who don’t think this storm is as bad as its going to be, but it’s a bad boy".

Filed under: Hurricane Ike
  1. Peace Out

Salvation Army number to call is 1-800-725-2769 ! Looks worse than a mean bull ride and it's great to know the Red Cross and Salvation Army are moving fast !Find a loved one in Texas number to call is 1-800-588-9822 !

September 14, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  2. cameron

Does anyone know anything about the Tomball, TX area?

September 14, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  3. Tammie

I agree that an adult has the right to stay if they want to even though a mandatory evacuation has been declared. However, I have grave concerns about adults that risk their childrens lives and by not evacuating them...I think they should be held accountable to the law if something happens to a minor because of their neglect to provide safe haven. I also agree that if they are in a zone that was under mandatory evacuation then they should have to pay for their rescue....whether it be monetary or community service...taxpayers should not have to pay for their stupidity!!!!!

September 14, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  4. Unuma22

My prayers go out to all those affected by this hurricane one way or another.

Natural disasters are things we cant control but we have been blessed with knowledge to help us predict their traits.
    I have a problem with people not heeding a warning.If you have been warned about a hurricane i think you should leave no matter the circumstances.

Matthew Davis i don't believe in name calling but as much as the coast guards job is to rescue people,they are human beings too and have families and loved ones. Why stubborn people put them in harms way when they should have left in the first place.

September 14, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  5. Jen

With a mandatory evacuation and such dire warnings, isn't it considered child endangerment for people who stayed behind with minors?

September 14, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  6. jbl

I hope that the independent-minded, able-bodied, true-blue Texans who refused to evacuate, then had to be rescued after the story (putting their rescuers at risk) are charged for the cost of their rescue. Hate the government–except when you need it.

September 14, 2008 at 9:52 am |
  7. Harry Plummer

Why should recue workers risk their own lives or even bother about those who choose to stay.
    They get everything that they deserve. Don't bother with them. Let them rot and don't waste our time. Good riddance. It will get idiots out of the gene pool.

September 14, 2008 at 6:31 am |
  8. David G.

Hours before the storm, one of the major networks was interviewing people in a bar less than a hundred feet from the Gulf. Their plan was to get drunk and ride out the storm. I wonder what assistance they required to prevent their untimely death. I wonder if they still think that their behavior was the right thing to dol
    I have not heard one convincing arguement to ignore a Mandatory Evacuation Order during an extreme state of emergency. If residents choose not to take advantage of preparations designed to provide free transportation if needed, to provide a safe and warm shelter, and fresh water and food , then any additional assistance that they require adds to the enourmous costs involved.

To this end II have two suggestions:

1-Recoup the increase costs by adding a surcharge to their property taxes.
    2-If rescue is necessary, then that resident should be billed. accordingly. Due to the possibility that additional rescuers may be required, the resident may be denying others life saving assistance, and the fact that rescue workers are being placed in greater danger, requires that this resident be responsible for the associated costs.

September 14, 2008 at 3:31 am |
  9. Ed Kelly

I agree with the person who said those who stayed, defying mandatory evacuation orders, then crying for help should be fined -or should have to pay for their rescue. Not only are brave people risking themselves for these idiots, but there's a lot of tax dollars paying for these efforts. If they refuse to pay, put a lien on their property or put them in jail.

September 13, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  10. Matthew S. Davis

To Paul Hood. You are the idiot. Rescuing people is what the coast guard does. Nobody signs on for these jobs without being aware of the danger
    involved. Leave all of my good people in Galveston alone if you are not offering some kind of support.

September 13, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  11. Nancy, Richmond VA

I would like to know what happened to Mr. Alexander. Are our tax dollars being spent to go rescue this jerk? I do not wish harm on anyone, but he'd be the LAST person I'd go check on and rescue.

September 13, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  12. Carole

No person has the right to say that another person should leave their pet(s) behind. "Judge not, lest ye be judged"

September 13, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  13. Liz New Orleans LA

Having lived through Katrina, I can assure you it is not "manly" or "tough" to stand toe to toe with a hurricane. It is Manly to pick your battles wisely, protect your family and acknowledge that you mean something to someone(s). And act accordingly.

We have the "macho" types too who say "I stayed for Katrina"... Sadly we have a bunch of people who stayed and won't be saying anything ever again.

September 13, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  14. Debbie, Denham Springs, Louisiana

I can't believe this is happening. We just finished with Gustav, which hit Baton Rouge pretty hard (not much coverage on Baton Rouge for some reason). But this is much much worse for Texas. Having dealt with hurricanes my whole life, I think I've had enough. If you've never lived through one, you can't imagine how terrifying they are. After Gustave, the grocery stores here had very little food for days and parts of Baton Rouge looked like a war zone. People tell me that everywhere has weather, but not everywhere has hurricanes. As soon as I can move away from here, I will. I am praying so much for Texas right now. Texas has always helped us get through these things and we will be here for them. I know that Governor Jindal will offer anything he can to help.

September 13, 2008 at 8:45 am |
  15. Paul Hood

If you live in an area that has been designated a "mandatory evacuation" area, and you decide to stay, I think you should be fined $5000. In addition, we should not allow our brave coast guard, firefighters, or law enforcement personnel to risk their lives to save idiots that do not heed the warnings to evacuate.

September 13, 2008 at 6:55 am |
  16. ir

it is very sad situation. hold on, people.

September 13, 2008 at 4:30 am |
  17. Caryn

I live in Meyerland ( a subdivision of Houston). It's VERY scary outside. Who ever just mentioned that the reporters should be in Galveston to report on Ike and that Houston does not show a clear representation of the hurricane is bonkers. my parent's house has been around since the 1960's and the pressure is so bad outside that its causing their french doors to "buzz" from the excess wind. We have lost power and have not had power since the storm came inland. There will be nothing left of Galveston if its this bad in Houston.

September 13, 2008 at 4:16 am |
  18. KCW

Aside from a fraction of people that truly can't afford to leave, I have no sympathy for the fate of people that ignore these risks.

If Steven Alexander survives this storm, he will be around to comment about a "little wind and rain" for the next storm. If he doesn't, he will be... much quieter about it.

September 13, 2008 at 4:12 am |
  19. Alex Small

Jim, I would understand your point if it was daylight. How on Earth are the anchors supposed to report on the flooding when all the power is out? The coverage is simply to show us the force of Hurricane Ike. What else is there to do? It's a damn hurricane!

Wait until tomorrow morning for flooding information.

September 13, 2008 at 3:44 am |
  20. bill

do not forget the homeless people in houston that I saw here in Atlanta some cable is carrying a local Houston channel and we just saw people lying around a building. I guess neither CNN or Houston want any controversy. Is that why my last e-mail was canned or because someone said the katrina people had a good time?

September 13, 2008 at 3:14 am |
  21. bill gaffney

I just saw some homeless peolpe lying by a building as KHOU t.v.
    van went by, they had just pieces of long cardboard to protect them. Someof them did not have anything except their clothes to protect them form the wind. It brings to mind Mrs. Bush's comment about the Katrina victims that were visting her great state"they never had it so good"I am sure Texas officals will reply that these were crazy people who really were not in distress, the pictures did not look that way!

September 13, 2008 at 3:07 am |
  22. Diane Smith

Thank You all 4 great coverage! I live Gallatin TN,and just wanted to let you know that gas here went from $3.57 this morning and this evening at 6pm it was $4.89!! That really is wrong.
    Stay safe all of you brave CNN folks.

September 13, 2008 at 2:22 am |
  23. Amanda Walton

All I can say is WOW...prayers for their safety

September 13, 2008 at 2:00 am |
  24. Salaina

storm proof..???this is not a storm ! its a disaster as said by reporters....CNN...what ever it is ...it is a giant monstrous bad baad bad hurricane..i heard the size of Ike is same as size of Texas....my sister her self is not evacuating and taking a big risk...you face certain death,....that statement hurts......

September 13, 2008 at 1:55 am |
  25. Zen

I think that's called "Execution by proxy".

September 13, 2008 at 1:54 am |
  26. Devin

im in little rock...and gas is running out here as well. Thought id let you know.

September 13, 2008 at 1:52 am |
  27. Jim

I live in Santa fe,Texas watching you from Canada. Rick was in Laporte standing in a puddle at a cross street. He stepped out of camera to retrieve a small dead tree limb to show you T.V Viewers as he proceeded to take up his station in the same puddle. With some serious events occurring your guys are looking desperate to manufacture trama. I am watching Anderson in Houston while he is watching to see if a skyscraper comes tumbling down. Please gives us reports on flooded parts of galveston, Dickinson, laMarque, Texas City-the first towns inland from galveston, also Tiki Island, Bayou Vista. Wheres the coverage? For God's sake get that lady out of the shrubs in Clute all scared up about the Chemical plant behind her.

Jim

September 13, 2008 at 1:49 am |
  28. Annie Kate

I'm surprised that under a mandatory evacuation that the police allow the bars to stay open. They should shut them down and tell the people to go home and shelter since its too late to go anywhere now.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 13, 2008 at 1:49 am |
  29. CBM

"If you don't evacuate you face certain death" If that was said then why 1000 inmates remain in Galveston jail??
    Isn't there a system to evacuate them in place? They are saying that the jail is "storm proof".

September 13, 2008 at 1:40 am |
  30. elipat

I think the bars should be closed......public safety issue if nothing else. Also, maybe to curb the problem of ignorant people not evacuating, we should force them to pay for their rescue.

September 13, 2008 at 1:36 am |