September 12th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Here comes Ike

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Anderson Cooper’s live reporting from Texas tonight will dominate our headlines. Ike’s path is measuring at 700 miles across and roughly 3.5 million people live in its potential impact zone. We have been reporting on the major emergency preparations underway as Texans prepare for the worst. Our Meteorologists tell us to expect Ike to strike the Galveston area as a Category 2 or 3 storm and to still have hurricane-force winds as it hits downtown Houston. It’s going to get nasty.

Our correspondents fanned out across the Houston-Galveston area will support Anderson’s anchoring from downtown Houston. We sent Anderson last night because we weren’t sure if he’d make it there if he left today, given that the airport closures are going to take effect so for those of you loyal fans watching, you already got a preview from him yesterday.

It’s unclear if/how the candidates’ schedules will be affected by the storm. We do know that Sen. Biden has canceled his plans to go to Texas and attend rallies because he doesn’t want to use up any resources geared towards storm preparedness. At the moment, it looks like Barack Obama is not cancelling his plans to take the gloves off, as he releases not one, but two ads slamming John Mccain, mocking him as out-of-touch, out of-date, and computer illiterate. This fighting spirit has been ramped up in a week that has seen the John Mccain/Sarah Palin ticket get a boost. John Mccain is hitting back with his own campaign called “Disrespectful” criticizing the Obama campaign for going after Sarah Palin. I guess the civility from yesterday is gone.

Viewers got a good whiff of Sarah Palin last night, in her first Q&A session with a reporter. I can’t wait to read all your comments analyzing it for yourselves.

For our part we are trying to decide the best balance of politics versus hurricane to offer you tonight, but I have to say, I think the hurricane is going to steal the headlines, hands down. I guess there are some things no candidate can fight against, and that is Mother Nature.

Filed under: Hurricane Ike • The Buzz
  1. Jolene

Penny:
    Well, I hope the CNN folks covering Hurricane Ike in Galveston don't pull a "Geraldo" and stay away from the water. I never watch Fox but just had to when I heard Geraldo wiped out today while reporting near or should I say in the water. Don't want any of the CNN reporters to look foolish out there. Stay safe. Since the storm surge appears to be getting worse as we head into the evening, I'm sure most of us will have an interest in what's happening in Texas.

I watched Palin's interview that aired early and late evening last night. I was more impressed with Sarah than Gibson. He acted as though he didn't want the gig (either that or he ate something there in Alaska that didn't agree with him). He seemed annoyed and it showed in his facial expressions. The interview had some bad editing too. I would prefer just seeing all of her answers and not the cut and paste job that ABC gave us. I thought she did good and I knew the press would be all over the Bush doctrine question. She would have faired much better if she just admitted she didn't know. A better question would have been what the McCain doctrine would look like.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

September 12, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  2. Brenda Harris

Let me say this first. Mccain threw the first punch when there was suppose to be a truce. During the first fews moments of his speech Mccain attacked the Congress. How does he think he can be effective when he belittles the congress. Having him along with his side kick in charge would create a disaster in Washington. And what was that he said about a divorce. We need harmony we need someone who can bring the country together as a WHOLE.

Palin almost showed her true colors last night. Two of thee questions she answered were false. She's not so bubbly either without a script. Listen think about it ; we need someone capable of representing the whole country domestic and foreign. Not just in a corner of it.

September 12, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  3. Jim

I've been watching the news this morning & seeing STUPIDITY INCARNATE- What part of EVACUATE do these idiots NOT understand???????? They not only put themsevles but others in harms way . CNN- Your NOT helping the situation as they people see you & think They are ok to be here Then so am I- Get the reporters Where they can cover the storm from a SAFE distance or invest some of Your Money on Cameras that can be left to monitor the storm close up with a live feed to your reporters .

September 12, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  4. Debbie

Is Anderson gonna be okay??

September 12, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  5. Fay, CA

Sarah Palin said nothing that convinced me that she was ready to take on the role of VP or president and I thought David Gergen let her off too easy for her apparent confusion about the Bush Doctrine–reporters and the public may not know what it is, but I would expect that a candidate running for Republican VP would know and she appeared to be uncertain. Obama needs to focus on McCain, but I hope reporters continue to press Palin on her record and qualifications for VP–the thought of her anywhere near the White House and making critical decisions is rather frightening.

The graphic of Ike on 360 last night looked unbelievably huge–it's always interesting to watch CNN's hurricane coverage, but I hope none of the reporters will be taking unnecessary risks to bring us the story–stay safe out there.

September 12, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  6. Dee from CT

It never ceases to amaze me that journalists [and their crews] rush into danger, while just about everyone else is scrambling to leave. This more unmistakable as I watched Anderson report last night that the Weather Service had issued a "leave or face certain death" statement. Yet, there you all are reporting as it happens.

Stay safe, come home safe.

September 12, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  7. deborah, OH

Thanks for the post, Penny Manis!
    Please try to keep them (Anderson, Gary, Susan, & all) safe in Texas. We sometimes have to remind tham to be safe.

Palin still has unimpressed me, & scares me a bit. And, please, don't judge all women by her interesting takes on the issues.

September 12, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  8. Christine Burdikoff

I am surprised CNN has not been linking the two stories. If we learn anything from IKE it should be that we need to look for other forms of evergy to fuel the US due to the detramental effect hurricanes can cause on our economy! The United States is obligated to protect the US economy and in my option additional drilling in the Gulf is only a very short term temporary solution that can easily be offset by CAT 4 or 5 hurricane.

September 12, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  9. Eileen Beatty

Penny –
    Please make sure all of your correspondents and crews are safe. I listened to Anderson Cooper last night trying to figure out how he can cover this storm. Yes, it is big news, but the American people can wait until it's safe to see the footage. Contrary to what the media believes, Americans would rather know that everyone is safe, and no lives have been lost. Godspeed to all those in YIKE"s path – Liked the play on words in the headline – at least someone has a sense of humor!

September 12, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  10. Jewel

The focus and our prayers should be for the people in Texas.. polictics can wait. I think this is a good sign of where our priorities need to be.......

September 12, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  11. Nancy Schwoerer

Anderson, first of all, Stay Safe!!!
    I watched the "pitbull" and Charlie Gibson last night. I was pleased that Charlie got the part of the "first interviewer", looking over his eyeglasses and looking every bit the part of a dear fatherly figure. But there is nothing soft about Charlie! He nailed the questions. Sarah Palin responded as I thought she might in a confident way that resembles a job candidate who really wants the position but comes up short in qualifications. When you take her current role of Governor of a state of 700,000 citizens with less than 2 years in the job, she has just been tapped to be the possible next VP and a hearbeat away from President, I am concerned. I am bothered by her views of Global Warming and a Woman's Right to Choose. She has her right and I have mine!!! Thank you for listening!

September 12, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  12. DeNada de Tejas

Ironic that Ike is hitting Texas – wonder if that is divine justice or a message to Bushes? Since they prayed for rain on Obama's acceptance speech in Denver a few weeks ago, seems as if we've had a spate of hurricanes and tropical storms heading our way.

So maybe you can tie politics to Ike somehow – not to mention his namesake, Ike Eisenhower (or was it Ike Turner, since nobody seems to remember the prez of same name)... Probably the original Ike is trying to send us "message" about who (NOT) to vote for! I think he's trying to tell us not to vote for four more years of misery under the GOP candidates. And it could be a very sobering message, depending on the damage he wreaks.

September 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  13. Sondra

Define Stupid!!!!!,

September 12, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  14. Jessica

I would consider myself a fairly intelligent, hard-working woman. I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Northeastern University in Boston and work full time as a mother to a 16 month old son as well as having another on the way. Never in my life have I been so disgusted with the lack of people's ability to OPEN THEIR EYES. When I watch Palin speak, I hear nothing but a condescending, lackluster person and politician who has no idea what the VP of the US should stand for. For goodness sake, doesn't it mean anything in this world to sound like an intelligent human being if you are running for VP to the commander in chief of the strongest army in the world? What a disgrace to this country and a VERY scary disgrace at that....is it possible to impeach a nominee? Let's try...for the sake of our country, our people and our children.

September 12, 2008 at 11:52 am |
  15. Cindy

I hope that Anderson and all of the other reporters and crew stay safe out in Texas. This is gearing up to be one heck of a storm! I hope that people heed the warnings and actually leave! I am afraid some won't because of what happened with Gustav. I hope I am wrong!

I think Sarah did great with her interview. I know the dems and their supporters may try to knock her on the Bush doctrine thing but if they are truly honest with themselves most of them probably had no idea what it meant either until it was explained. Even Gergen said that! Besides that Obama has made his gaffes concerning foreign policy and Russia!

Cindy...Ga.

September 12, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  16. Laura

Please make sure you guys are careful while reporting!!

September 12, 2008 at 11:42 am |
  17. Ramon

I am worried about Houston. I live in Baton Rouge and just drove through there after Hurricane Gustav to stay with friends just outside of San Antonio.

Watch for stories on Houston's traffic problems in the coming week. That city is gridlocked all of the time, and its failure to accommodate for its residents has left them unable to evacuate. Pray for Houston

September 12, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  18. Deborah Richardson

Where will Anderson be reporting from tonight??

September 12, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  19. Laura Porter

I think you are mis-pronouncing the storm's name....
    IKE in this instance is actually pronounced – EEK!

Stay Safe!

September 12, 2008 at 11:18 am |
  20. Wally

I find it disconcerting when intelligent people running for elected office cannot remember that when a word has been spoken it cannot be recalled. Mr. Obama's comments about lipstick on a pig is a very good example of this. He should have engaged his brain before he put his mouth in gear. If he continues in this vein it will cost him the election. Get ready for more of the same.

September 12, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  21. judy mitchell

When relief efforts are made, people without water, electricity or a place to cook get 50# bags of flour or grain, etc. What are they supposed to do with this kind of help?

September 12, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  22. Mike

I realize that we want a President who has a stiff backbone, but it seems like the "fighting spirit" and the "take the gloves off" attitude described has led to the personal attacks the two candidates have heaped on each other. Neither of them seem to have the backbone to just state and defend their platforms: instead they resort to gangland attitude of "you hit me – I hit you harder". Shame on them and their campaign workers. I don't care if it sells newspapers, or gets people to watch a certain "news" (and I use that term loosely) show on the television. Tell me what they stand for!!! Tell me what their qualifications are (WITHOUT the "you don't have a clue attitude")!! Tell me their plans!! Use impartial language (now THAT'S a novel concept for today's reporters!) so I can make an INFORMED decision rather than and emotional one.

September 12, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  23. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Mother Nature has a way of mudslinging far beyond what any campaign can dish out. I hope the people of Texas are spared her full fury.
    I personally thought Governor Palin was ok in her interview and want to see the rest of it. However, I guess it's just wishful thinking to think that the tornado swirling around her will move on anytime soon.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

September 12, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  24. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Good Morning Anderson and staff
    I saw Anderson reporting last night from Houston and it sounded dreadful how fast and huge the Hurricane is getting. I hope Anderson and his team are safe in a good location away form too much wind and rain and debirs that is blowing around ,it's not going to be good my thoughts and prayers are with the familes as they get out of Ike's path and hopefully they got out before this happens.
    see you later on 360
    Michelle

September 12, 2008 at 10:55 am |
  25. Norma Newman

We lost the most qualified person to be President Hillary Clinton, who could have had a chance to help this country recover from the great ruin that Mr. Bush and his cronies have wrought. Now John McCain who is a decent man gives us the choice of Annie Oakley as vice president, and we have Barack Obama with no real experience. It is unbelieveable how the pundits can use their influence to leave the American people with no real choice. When will the Democratic party get rid of their way out left wing liberals and come back to represent the normal people of the party.

September 12, 2008 at 10:54 am |
  26. kathleen

CNN rain coats are not superhero gear.
    I learned something from a CNN report. It only takes 2 feet of water to cause vehicles to float. The wind will be an issue, however the estimated 20 ft of water will cause trouble. 20ft is like the roof top of a 3 story building. The winds are going to get strong enough to push buildings off of their foundations.

Please listen to the President.

unless you have the CNN Ark.

OK think about the cost of your equipment, if loss of life doesn't impact you. This is the storm of the century.

September 12, 2008 at 10:54 am |
  27. Anne

I, like so many others, will be glued to CNN watching "Ike's" progress. As much as I enjoy the coverage my concern is for the safety of the reporters. I know, I know, every precaution is taken, however, I think Ike might turn out to be the baddest we have seen in awhile and my thoughts and prayers are with all the folks affected by this storm.
    So, from your neighbour to the North, thank you for what you do. Be safe! Godspeed Anderson and please look out for flying cardboard and such, we don't want anything to happen to those pretty blue eyes...

September 12, 2008 at 10:50 am |
  28. Pati Mc, Camp Hill, PA

Anderson and crew, PLEASE be careful. I am glad that y'all are making him stay in Houston. What about Gary? Hope you moved him from Galveston. This storm is off the hook.

We all need to continue to keep everyone in our thoughts and prayers.

September 12, 2008 at 10:46 am |
  29. Sandra, Wadley Ga

Good morning Penny. I look forward to Anderson and the CNN crew reporting from Texas tonight. This storm looks ominous with walls of water already crashing over the seawall in Galveston. I pray for the safety of those in the path of this storm.

September 12, 2008 at 10:42 am |
  30. NC for Obama

I can't believe that McCain would be campaigning today with this huge Hurricane about to to hit Texas. He stopped the Republican convention because the threat of one hitting Louisiana would make it improper to be talking politics. He did photo-ops of himself making up care packages to be sent to the Gulf. Ike looks like it is going to be the real thing and what no Republican telethon for Texas? No McCain photos looking concerned? No planned speeches from the Hurricane zone? I guess McCain really was just using New Orleans as a political toy like we all suspected. What a hypocrite!

September 12, 2008 at 10:30 am |