September 12th, 2008

By Ike's landfall, deadliest U.S. storm monument may be underwater

Ismael Estrada
AC360 Producer

Here is the monument to the 1900 Storm that is estimated to have killed between 8 and 12 thousand people in and around the city of Galveston. As you can see the tide waters are crashing in on what is a 17 foot Seawall. If predictions are correct, parts of this monument will be under water by the time hurricane Ike makes landfall.

Here is a picture of Gary reporting from Seawall Blvd. with cameraman Gregg Canes. Look at those waves! And the storm isn't even here yet...
______________________

Post by:
Filed under: Hurricane Ike • Ismael Estrada
  1. pam

Anderson, what's going on in New Orleans? I understand train cars are being used on the leeves.

September 12, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  2. Melissa, Los Angeles

Nature is so beautiful yet destructive all at the same time. Great pictures but I feel bad for the people in it's path. Hope people in TX learned from Katrina to get out before they lose the chance to.

September 12, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  3. Allen

The people in Texas need only to see the trail of destruction in the carribean namely – Haiti, Turks and Caicos, Cuba and the Bahamas that was left by Ike to know this a extremely dangerous hurricane. To stay in it's path one must have a death wish. God be with Texas.

September 12, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  4. South Louisiana

You guys need to head to South Terrebonne Parish in Louisiana. Heartbreaking flooding going on today.

September 12, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  5. Emily

Oh. My. God. I am from Houston, living in Austin, and spent much of my childhood playing in Galveston. I can tell you I have NEVER seen ANYTHING like this. For those who are unaware, the water isn't normally directly at the foot of the seawall. There's the ocean, a beach, and then the seawall where the street starts. High tide pushes the water a little close to the wall, but I've never seen it anywhere NEAR the wall. Now it is right at the lip and rising 17 feet above it. I am just blown away by these images because I never thought I'd see anything like this.

Galveston has a history museum where you can see images from the 1900 hurricane and watch a short documentary film. We actually had family in that storm. I hope Ike doesn't leave that kind of history. I am just shocked. It looks like my family in Houston will be OK, but our boat in Kema (near Galveston) might not be....

September 12, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  6. Pati Mc, Camp Hill, PA

Whoa, Gary, it looks like you are about to get swept away! It sorta looks like fun. I know, I know, I am nuts. But hey, YOU are doing it.

Hard to imagine that the storm is not even here yet. Wow!

Seriously take it easy out there.

September 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  7. JM

I would like to see a story about how the crew and reporters are prepared for working in a potential disaster area. Training, supplies, security, communications, water treatment etc. This type of story would add a personal aspect to the stories of these reporters in harms way and make the "reporting from the seawall" seem much safer and more responsible.

September 12, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  8. Richard Newton

Please send someone to Rockport/Fulton. My parents live there and I would like to see what is going on there as well.

September 12, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  9. alice

Anderson..even though this hurricane is not directly hitting New Orleans, could flooding still be a danger there simply because of the massive size of this hurricane and because of the storm surge expected?

September 12, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  10. Philip B. Olson

I am not sure how the 17 refinerees in the Houston area will be affected, but gas in Nacogdoches, TX (2.5 hours northeast of downtown Houston) went from $3.62 per gallon for regular unleaded to $3.79. As we wish for the safety of those leaving the Houston and Galveston areas for the north, and knowing that many evacuees are heading through our area, let us remind the oil companies not to take advantage of the good citizens of this state who have to leave there homes. Is it fair for the oil companies to gouge gas prices in the name of profit?
    Please, if I am off base, I would welcome an opportunity to be corrected!

September 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  11. Jenny Rome Ga

Whoa !!!!!!! What a picture!

September 12, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  12. Cindy

I hope that Ike doesn't overtake the 1900 storm as being the deadliest ever! I hop that the ones who stayed go to the highest structure there for safety!

And I hope Gary and the crew stay safe!

Cindy..Ga.