September 12th, 2008

Anderson's View: The storm is coming, and everyone here knows it

Anderson Cooper

The storm is coming, and everyone here knows it. Right now store owners are boarding up their windows, but you hardly see anyone on the street, and in downtown Houston there aren't many cars on the roads, just a few police cruisers slowly gliding by.

We've been trying to decide where we should locate ourselves to cover the storm. Normally, we'd go to Galveston, but we are going to need to stay on the air all during the storm to anchor 360 tonight.

If we are in Galveston, it's likely we'd be knocked off the air by the storm at a certain point, so we are thinking of staying in Houston, or moving just a bit further south. Gary Tuchman will be in Galveston and we have correspondents fanned out in spots all around the coast.

The most difficult challenge in covering hurricanes is finding a secure location for the satellite truck. If it's too exposed it can flip over in the high winds. If its in a low lying area it can get swept away by flood waters. Ideally, we look for a spot that has several fallback options for us, so if the storm gets really bad we have a spot to retreat to and still broadcast. It's always a gamble finding the right spot, but we've covered a lot of these storms unfortunately, and have learned what to look for.

There's already been rescues by the coast guard along the coast, and there's already flooding in Galveston. Last night the national weather service put out an advisory warning people in low lying areas of Galveston and other coastal areas that they face "certain death" if they stay behind. I'd never heard that kind of warning before. Let's hope everyone is listening.

Post by:
Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Hurricane Ike • T1
  1. anne,newfoundland canada

Anderson:

You and all of the entire CNN team are to be congratulated for your coverage.

Thank heavens you are all ok,though I have to admit,when you asked Chad about going to Galveston the other night,I was worried you might actually GO THERE!

To all of you who braved the weather conditions,I am glad you are all safe.

I hope as well,that we can ALSO get some updates as to the after effects of Gustav in the Gulf Coast areas,too.

Take care.

September 15, 2008 at 9:09 am |
  2. Naissa, Texas

Hey Anderson,

Can you please thank all of the CNN reporters for what y'all did throughout the storm in keeping us all informed. You all did unbelievable jobs, and we knew who to turn to when we felt lost. I told my mom I was going to drive to Houston and see if I could see you so you could sign my copy of Dispatches. She glared at me with 'The Look,' said I was crazy, and went back to bed. Haha.

Haha, I got a kick out of seeing that water snake swim right by you. It's nothing here, trust me. We swim with 'em! Anyway, thank you, again.

September 15, 2008 at 1:00 am |
  3. Karen Kirkpatrick

Thanks for sticking around. The real story is unfolding now

September 15, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  4. Stephen Fitzgerald

Anderson, We have watched more and more of your segments and I like what you are doing. Tonight we watched Lou Dobbs, the weather segment and then Sarah Palin revealed. The reporter approached this like he was a democrat for Obama. He looked for things that he could present in a negative way and inserted his own bias. I was offended and I turned it off. I resent that a lot and I hope McCain and Palin rain all over that reporter for that. That was politically motivated and unfair. I wish I could say what this really makes me feel like saying and doing.

September 14, 2008 at 9:55 pm |
  5. Martin

Regarding Saturday nights broadcast: I thought standing in waist high water in waders for more than five minutes was excessive. I don't need sensationalizm, just information.

September 14, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  6. Carole Smith

Crystal Beach needs your help. During Katrina I became a super fan of yours Anderson Cooper. But why are you not finding info on Bolivar & Crystal Beach area. We are 1 of the largest areas of Galveston County but receive very, very little in return for our tax dollars.
    Please help us find info about our property. My property is beachfront in Holiday Beach addition any information for this area will be greatly appreciated for myself & other owners.
    Regards,
    Carole Smith

September 14, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  7. Dee Stevens

Some Added Post Script Today, both AC360 & CNN worked collectively in the past three days to bring the best news coverage in conjunction with the staff and crew to report the top news stories from Texas and California. Thanks for a job well done Anderson Cooper.

September 14, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  8. Toni

Hello,
    Was anyone shocked to learn that Palin took her three day old baby to work ? That shows a sense of charcter that is truly scary.

September 14, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  9. Franes Patterson

Have always admired the honest approach of your program in getting the truth of the matter out to the people – 'Keeping them honest approach' is essential and never more important than now in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

Through your larger audience, please bring the following broadcast and story of the people in Houston and Galeveston to the forefront .... Galveston Police Officer Fred Horton (KHOV.com)

To you and your entire production team keep up the honorable work.
    Frances Patterson
    Brea – CA

September 14, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  10. deborah, OH

I was extremely impressed, as always, with your coverage of Ike, Anderson. Everybody did a great job (I kept thinking Susan C. was going to blow away!).
    Your inclusion of the part with Dan Rather was extremely timely & thrilled me to death (I watched him before you existed).
    Also, Anderson & Erica, your coveage of that AWFULLY HORRIFIC train wreck in Ca. was really amazing. Looking inside the wrecked car, & watching the brave firefighters working to find people, was really great.
    Again, Anderson & all, thanks for a 'job' very well done.

September 14, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  11. Steve Karb

I was interested to find out if there are efforts being made to dissolve the air temperatures that cause huricanes. I know messing with nature might sound crazy, but with high tech bombs to change air temperature, microwaves to change windflow...something needs to be done in the future. We can't allow this to continue. I never hear of anything being studied. If a camera can be placed on Mars...things can happen. I appreciate your fantastic coverage, but it is time for action to be developed.

September 14, 2008 at 2:24 am |
  12. Brandi-bottom of the boot

k, gustav is long gone, just got our lights on, then ike decides to take them out again! lol definitely owe a great amount of thanks to the national guard for sticking around. we just got the lights back so i can use my computer! yay!

hey anderson, you really should watch for alligators in that water! lmao your mom is definitely gonna fuss you for that!

September 14, 2008 at 1:31 am |
  13. Dee Stevens

Thank you for your top notch coverage Anderson of Hurricane Ike in Texas, all of the CNN staff and crew brought minute-to-minute coverage in a on site way with an eyewitness account. Your interview AC with Dan Rather was the highlight of AC360 Friday evening. Be wise, be careful, be safe.

September 13, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

I have to say that I was happy that Anderson covered the train crash in California and spent a pretty good amount of time on that. I always think that other news stories get pushed off the list when there's a big hurricane but this story was so serious that I'm glad that Anderson & Erica were there to give us the details (even with all of the anxiety and chaos surrounding the hurricane). Thanks!

September 13, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  15. Lisa Washington

Anderson do you guys get any skeep during these storm. Is there certain shift that you do. Keep safe and take care.

September 13, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  16. Scripter

You guys blow my mind. Your dedication is unequaled. However, as others have said before me, my NEED to know about the conditions inside that hellicane, on a nonosecond by nanosecond basis is NOT equal to my concern for your safety. Since you don't have time to pray, I'll try to pray for you. Dear Jesus, please cradle these courageous guys in Your Arms as they do their jobs. Please clear their pathways, and shelter their footsteps, each step of the way, as they go. Please give them SAFE HARBOR !!! Thank You, Jesus. Amen !!!!

September 13, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  17. Beth

Andy,

Loved the comment re the memo on the red CNN rain slickers ... did ya miss getting the one about staying off the streets of Houston when the window are blowing out!? 🙂

Stay safe please – and as usual – exceptional coverage by the entire team.

Beth
    Ontario, Canada

September 13, 2008 at 11:50 am |
  18. Peter Powell

Congratulations on hurricane coverages!!
    Why not get ORANGE Hard Hats for you and all correspondents and crew members in harms way.
    Put the CNN logo on it and a great soft chin strap and it will not only be necessary for safety but look cool as a duck in water!
    Eventually that flying stuff debris that almost hit Anderson will harm someone and you wished you had it! (The CNN Hard Hat!) Besides you can sell them!
    Peter Powell, Indy Producer of programs for PBS.

September 13, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  19. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Great job Anderson
    The coverage is is allways amazing in the misdst of blowing rain and wind there you are right in the thick of things. It's preety scary for you and your team of reporters Gary Tuchman is being blown awy there in Glavaston and it doesn't lok good.
    Please stay safe Anderson!
    You are the best !

Michelle

September 13, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  20. EJ (USA)

So are Anderson and his crew in Houston all ok?

September 13, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  21. Dee Stevens

Thank you for your top notch coverage of Hurricane Ike in Texas, all of the CNN staff an crew brought minute -to-minute coverage in a on site way with an eyewitness account. Your interview AC with Dan Rather was the highlight of AC360 Friday evening. Be wise, be careful, be safe.

September 13, 2008 at 9:55 am |
  22. Jacquie

great coverage Anderson, staff and crew...you have many disastrous and tragic events to report on this evening across our country. keep up the good work and keep yourself and your crew safe.

September 13, 2008 at 2:00 am |
  23. Annie Kate

Hi Anderson

The coverage is amazing but it sounds like you are really going to have a terribly long night waiting on Ike to get to Houston. You're pretty wet right now – I guess at some point getting more wet is immaterial. I hope the people that stayed, especially those with children, are right and they can survive the storm, but with the storm surge in Galveston predicted to be so high I just can't imagine being able to stay safe in those kinds of conditions. Watch for stuff blowing around and stay safe.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 13, 2008 at 1:59 am |
  24. lpfoong, Malaysia

Ok...you are all at it again.
    A lot of people are appreciative of your dedication and keeping them informed, so I guess that's what makes it worthwhile.
    Besides torrential rain and unimaginable wind trashing, you and your crew might also be facing the downpour of 'broken glass debris' and whatever else that are dangerous.
    I think the lot of you need more than that red windbreaker and cap.
    See you next week...right?
    Stay safe and take care. Our prayers to all affected by this storm.

September 13, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  25. Jen Petty

We're right down the street from you, waiting the storm out. We actually just moved here from Utah a month ago, so this is quite the experience for us. Thanks for all the coverage. We are glued to the TV, wondering if we should have left or not!

Houston

September 13, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  26. Lilibeth

Hi Anderson, I watched the show tonight. Please, please be careful. I can't say it enough. Take care,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

September 13, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  27. EJ (USA)

All of you reporters better be ok when I wake up tomorrow. You really make a lot of us nervous.

September 13, 2008 at 12:28 am |
  28. Diane McKeel

Please take care CNN all of you, do you all take survival training?
    ? Difference in winds in cat 4 winds vs Cat 4 hurricane winds?

September 13, 2008 at 12:26 am |
  29. Sahira

Hey Anderson,

Thanks so much for bringing us all the updates on what is going on in Texas. Just watching the coverage on TV scares the heck out of me! I admire your willingness to cover these storms. It takes a special person to put themselves in harms way.
    Please be safe and come back home soon.

Take care!

P.S. Thanks for blogging and letting us know that you are okay.

September 13, 2008 at 12:25 am |
  30. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope you all stay safe. Mother Nature has no limits. Humans do. Take Care and hold on to your hat. I hope when the morning comes, the damage will be less than predicted. Take Care. My thoughts are with everyone in Ike's path.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

September 13, 2008 at 12:22 am |