September 12th, 2008

"An 'American Idol' candidate"

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/11/art.vert.palin.fan.jpg width=292 height=320]Roger Ebert
Chicago Sun-Times Movie Critic

I think I might be able to explain some of Sarah Palin's appeal. She's the "American Idol" candidate. Consider. What defines an "American Idol" finalist?

They're good-looking, work well on television, have a sunny personality, are fierce competitors, and so talented, why, they're darned near the real thing. There's a reason "American Idol" gets such high ratings. People identify with the contestants. They think, Hey, that could be me up there on that show!

My problem is, I don't want to be up there. I don't want a vice president who is darned near good enough. I want a vice president who is better, wiser, well-traveled, has met world leaders, who three months ago had an opinion on Iraq. Someone who doesn't repeat bald- faced lies about earmarks and the Bridge to Nowhere. Someone who doesn't appoint Alaskan politicians to "study" global warming, because, hello! It has been studied. The returns are convincing enough that John McCain and Barack Obama are darned near in agreement.

Keep reading...

Filed under: Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Baba

Mr. Ebert,
    First of all not everyone in this country is in LOVE with going to Europe. As a 46 year old woman, my priority has always been taking care of my children and helping my husband. That's why, like Palin, I am still married and have a son, now in college, who still loves his parents. And although he could have gone to any "Ivy League" college, he decided to stay close to home. And NO, I would NOT be any prouder if he attended Harvard, or Yale. Family, values, integrity is what matters. That Sarah Palin was able to manage family and career is trully admireable, and I will say that this is probably her greatest appeal. She is like every woman. She is like me and my friends who care about what is good, right and just. I too went to 4 different colleges. My family and others came first. Too bad many in this country don't get it at all. She will make an awsome Vice President!

September 12, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  2. Georgia Wallace

Anderson, I was so pleased that you pressed for a direct answer to your questions re: Palin's "famous press interview" w/Chas.Gibson. All Americans now know how easy it is for politicians to dance around the answer with their scripted talking points. And ... WE ARE SOOOOO TIRED OF LISTENING TO IT! I heard John Roberts press for an answer to his question on the early morning show. I believe CNN has the very best journalists for political coverage and if you all want to validate your credentials, just keep pressing for the answers ... the questions are worthy of an honest answer. In case you're curious, I lean more to being an independent that either Dem or Rep. I do think, however, the Republicans are the biggest whiners I have ever heard. I thought it was interesting that McCain never whined about the second line of Obama's "lipstick/pig" comment, which was about the fish wrapped in new paper and still stinking.....

September 12, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  3. Melissa, Los Angeles

Palin is an American Idol candidate just like Obama is too. I just think Obama is better than another 4 years of McSame.

September 12, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  4. Shae

I don't think that Sarah is an American idol, perhaps an idol to some of America's most stupid people. You see the truth here is not about who is the most popular candidate, but who is the right candidate to get this nation back on track. This "soccer mom" that we hear referring to Sarah Palin. Well, I'm no soccer mom, but I am a mother with kids, however, I know that doesn't qualify me to become president of the United States or VP for that matter. I wish people would come up with a better excuse than this lady is a mother. How many women are not mothers? We as Americans need someone who has the world's best interest at heart, not someone who is trying to use the people to gain the world.

I'm the spouse of an active duty soldier and my husband has been on numerous deployment to Iraq. He just return home from Iraq, January 19, 2008 and my least concern is popularity or whether this women is young and attractive. We have people dying over there eachday.Although it may not affect many of you, is not an excuse to ignore this problem. These soldiers need the support of the American people to make the right chioce, so that they have a much brighter future as you and I.

September 12, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  5. rupa

i'm a little angry ...so more cruel...thought a perfect candidate for playboy mansion than whitehouse mansion.

sorry though.

September 12, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  6. MW

Roger – I loved your article. I agree with everything. Bushs' approval rating was 27% at one point. This means that HALF of the people that voted for him do not approve of him. This means that those people realized that they messed up by voting for him. So why are those people voting for Bush #2 now? I think that this is what happens when people make uneducated decisions when voting. It is not rocket science people. Loved Obama last night on CNN. He is the smart choice, unless you really want to see this country sink down even farther. Anyone that believes that McCain will run an administration differently than Bush is dreaming, and extremely gullible. And anyone that would vote for a VP that believes that the Flintstones was a documentary is ignorant. I am thankful that at least the electoral college polls show that Obama has a strong lead over McCain. Hopefully some of those voters that messed up in 2004 will educate themselves this time around.

September 12, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  7. nate

Ebert, stick to reviewing movies that the majority of American's don't care for. Your better at that than political commentaries!

September 12, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  8. Annie Kate

I read that the committee Governor Palin formed to "study" global warming for Alaska has never even met. Don't guess they are doing much studying.....

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 12, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  9. Corey Norman

Sarah Palin is no more the "American Idol" candidate than Barack Obama is.

September 12, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  10. Alex

Gee Roger...do you think you can share your choice in candidates and make it more clear? Your reporting is so typical of the liberal media. Guess you must have slept through Journalism 101!

September 12, 2008 at 8:28 am |