September 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Thank you Casey and Lorie Ann et all! I greatly appreciate your prayers and we are going to need them!
    You are all the best!
    XXOO

September 11, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar

Minou,
    Of course, they will be safe for now, I hope..........

September 11, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Angela, Vancouver

Kathleen, you hit the nail on the head! I completely see that in her

September 11, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  4. lynn

Whay a hurricane season this has been. Let's hope this one fizzles a bit like Gustav. I hope Chad Myers doesn't have more bad news as he looks out into the Atlantic.

September 11, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Louise

If she wants to run with the big dogs she should not whine like a puppy

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  6. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I remember being in Galveston in the early 80s and it was like a ghost town (post storm). I got the impression it takes a perpetual beating.

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Ben Wiles | Alexandria, VA

Considering that today commemorates 9/11, which was the catalyst for the Bush Doctrine, it's strange that there has barely been mentioned that it was obvious that Governor Palin does not know what the Bush Doctrine is.

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Jana, Indiana

Anderson you need to stay put in Houston and Gary you need to get out of Galveston.

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

I hope Gary and Anderson don't try and ride it out in any of the worst areas! It looks like a real monster!

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

The way I see it, if McCain wins we may have a VP who isn't qualified end up as Presdient if something happens. If Obama wins, the probability is 100% that we will have an unqualified Presdient.

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  11. deborah, OH

Yes, Anderson, keep your eye out for the flying debris again! We want you, & everyone, back in NYC safe & sound.

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Tracey - Boston

Jonathon:

Obama has talked about education.

Gary-Anderson you guys are crazy to stay close to the coast.

Producers: you are crazy to let them stay!

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Kim-Canada

that is going to be one huge storm once it makes landfall. Very scary. Hope all are able to be safe.

September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Minou, New York City

Is it safe for Gary and team to be in Galveston?

September 11, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Patty

"divorced' from the realities of everyday Americans lives.....
    Did I just hear McCain finally admit it ????????

September 11, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Steve - southern Illinois

My heart goes out to everyone in the path of the hurricane. I will say prayers for you.

September 11, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Linda

This hiding Palin from the press, not letting her answer questions of reporters "off the cuff' is just more of the same. Secrecy, a puppet being told what to say. I can't make a decision based on her "spunk", I want to know what SHE believes...I already know what Bush and his puppeteers believe,..I don't need it put in a pretty package, it's still the same. There's so many rumors floating around I would think she would want to answer them.

September 11, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, Ohio

CaseyJ-PalmSprings, CA, I agree. I think Charlie Gibson was a good choice. I like seeing the candidates grilled a little bit as long as the grilling is done in a non-partisan way.

September 11, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Desmond P. Key

best of wishes to the strong americans who lost a loved one on 9-11. WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember to whom much has been given, much is required. As Americans we must press forward and give life to the great sacrafice of 9-11

September 11, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  20. M.E. Richmond TX

Thanks to all for your good wishes for Texas - we appreciate your thoughts and prayers as Ike presents himself within the next 24 hours.

September 11, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Heidi Berg

please be careful out there tommorrow

September 11, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Mike - Texas

I still remember 9/11 like it was yesterday.. We should be so thankful for the service of our troops which have kept us safe.

September 11, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Senator Obama has been completely right about Iran and Iraq. What planet is John McCain living on? The "bad" countries are the ones we need to keep communications open with as well–not cut them off so we don't have any leverage or don't have any idea of what they're up to.

September 11, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. deborah, OH

Anderson, Gary, & all in the Houston/Galveston area–be safe & be careful! Chad, let them know where they need to be. Thanks for covering this–& spreading the evacuation word–& those dire warnings.

September 11, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Kim-Canada

I'm a bit surprised about peoples comments on Charlie Gibson. After the Republicans – McCains treatment of the media, I don't think they could expect a red carpet. I was happy to see Gibson tough on some questions.

September 11, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  26. jonathan Puerto Rico

Neither candidate has really talked about the education. This is in my opinion an issue of great importance. Education is the backbone of any country.

September 11, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Kathy, Chicago

We will all always remember 9/11. We will always remember what we were doing at that moment it happened. I'm back to work after puppy leave, but i still stopped to say a prayer for the survivers and the families of those lost. My thoughts and prayers are with those in Texas also.

September 11, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Kelly Bailey

Just watching the short clip of Palin I felt she was tense and rehearsed in most of her answers. She was obviously doing her best not to appear pressured and I for one cannot even imagen her as vice president let alone, God forbid, president of the United States. realize

September 11, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse NY

It's nice that Onbama has finally admitted the obvious, that the surge has worked. If he had his way, he would have pulled troops out last year and Iraq would have collapsed.

September 11, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Shannon

I think Charlie Gibson was the same as always. I am amazed at how those Palin supporters cry when they think anyone is being mean to her. If she wants to be treated the same as everyone else, she has to step up and you all can't baby her.

September 11, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Louise

to all of you that think that Charlie Gibson was condesending, do you think that maybe he was responding to her condescension (sp) to her?

September 11, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Jana, Indiana

I would like to see the whole interview with Sarah Palin, but the clips that I have seen, I think she has done a good job.

September 11, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Dean

Mike,
    Not true. I would have never posted at all because I would have felt that Palin knew what her potential job required of her (that would be intimate knowledge of her own government and especially that of the position she may one day have to take).

September 11, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Tracey - Boston

From what I understand and according to the maps...Houston is about 20-25 miles from Galveston which is literally on the coast. Looks like moving to the NW would be best.

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Ken in NC

@ EJ (USA)

i agree with you about Charlie in his interview. He is that way with everyone he interviews. It is just the way he sounds.

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Tiffany

Prayers to everyone in Ike's path.

I found Sarah Palin's interview clear evidence that she doesn't have a clue. Her lines were scripted, she sounded extremely nervous, and not well versed in foreign policies.

She better stick to politics because she wouldn't make a good actress (back to the late night study sessions with President Bushs' advisors-if their lucky she'll be better for the VP debate).

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

I've heard of the Bush doctrine – I just could not quote it. I'm sure everyone in the Senate and House know exactly what the Bush Doctrine is.

This was discussed moreso in the aftermath of the start of the Iraq war right? And also when he talked about the 3 Axes of Evil. The pundits don't really discuss "The Bush Doctrine" much anymore – but I would think most lawmakers and politicos have heard about it.

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Karen-Lees Summit, MO

Sarah, I agree. I hope they talk about issues during the debate.

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Adriana

I think that Sarah Palin is really trying to be up to the challange, but is this enough for our country? The question is which ticket will make us feel safer and more prosper...It's not so hard to figure out...
    Anderson, please take care...

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar

Jacqui Chan,
    I am sorry about your cousin, my prayers and thoughts with you on sept 11, 2001.....

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  41. John H. - Tampa

She proved tonight and will continue to prove that she is definitely not ready for this job. We can only pray for John McCain's health if the Republicans are elected.

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, Ohio

It was nice to see some real unity in light of all this campaign divisiveness.

September 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  43. tiri

Jo Ann, I disagree. I think with her background in elections, public speaking and lets not forget the media, she's well adjusted to "speaking on her feet", however I feel the topics, though clearly not the questions themselves were carefully scrutinized before the interview.

September 11, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Sherry

Todd-
    I didn't think Gibson was condescending. I perceived him as waiting for Palin's meandering answers. His position as the first interviewer puts him on the spot since we really know very little about her except the sound bites which repeat the acceptance speech. Who knows when they will allow another interview or questions from the public...

September 11, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  45. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann..."Most people will probably be surprised by how well Palin did without the teleprompter."

Let's hope for her sake, she can keep it up. Only time will tell.

September 11, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Louise

No I don' t think that most people will be surprised at how well she did without a teleprompter, because she did not do well, teleprompter or not

September 11, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I'm afraid many people will try to ride out Ike. They may look at Gustav and think they can stay put, and it will not be as bad as predicted.
    Stay safe Betty Ann from Texas and everyone else too. My thoughts are with you.

September 11, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Jen

It is more clear to me now than ever that McCain is using her, telling her what to say, parading her on stage for applause and through her he is using women all over, it is disgusting.

September 11, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Kathleen Shellady

Palin reminds me of many people I have worked with over time. They were quick to judge, slow to listen (except to their own opinions) and commanded respect before earning it. A nice woman, but not ready to lead.

September 11, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Marydth, Utah

Hope the people in Texas heed the warnings and hope that Texas is prepared to evacuate those who cannot get out themselves. My thoughts are with them. Unfortunately on the Palin question, I think people will see what they want to as evidenced by Anderson's experts. In many ways I imagine people have or are close to making a decision and turning out the vote will be the big decider in the election.

September 11, 2008 at 10:42 pm |