September 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lauren, Northern California

My prayers are with all the people in Texas. This is such a scary storm. I agree that Palin is not ready to be VP. Not having met any leaders of other countries just shows how little she knows.
    Biden will show just how little foreign affairs experience she has.
    He has met many leaders of other countries and has a lot of foreign affair experience. I feel that McCain has really put our country at risk by choosing Sarah Palin.

September 11, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Rayford

Did anyone catch the comment McCain made about being divorced from the everyday struggles of the American people. That was definitely a slip. That could come back to hurt him later.

September 11, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Yes I agree with Mark Halperin, Sept 11 brought out the public servant in Sen McCain and Sen Obama, I do think the questions about community organizers, mayors helped untangle that issue, very good down to earth forum tonight, balanced. I agree with David Gergen, Obama was stronger tonight

September 11, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Louise

I hope that Biden eats her alive in the debate

September 11, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Jorge, New Mexico

What was once Obama's election to loose is now McCain's to loose. Obama has been sliding since August and he better get back on message or we will have another 4, possibly 8 yrs of another neo-con regime!

September 11, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Dianne - California

Todd Offutt....I agree with you. Charlie Gibson was more than condesending.

I hope all is going well with the evac in Texas! Anderson mentioned, people leaving by plane. I hope someone is sponsoring a plane for the low income and underprivledged.

September 11, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Sarah

Sarah Palin thinks that the attack of Georgia was unprovoked? Great another leader that doesn't read papers. Well Sarah once upon a time there was a small country between Russia and Georgia........

September 11, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Jana, Indiana

Anderson and all of the 360 corespondents down in Texas, please stay safe. This looks like it is going to be a BAD hurricane.

September 11, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Anthony Hunt

Anderson, why is so much being made of Sarah Palin's son going to Iraq. I ahve a son who is in Iraq for the third time and there was no big ceromony about it. Joe Biden son is on his way there also and there was no big send off. What is so special about Sarah's son. The Heirs to the English Throne have been to Iraq also and no one knew when or how,
    One other remark about this Sarah Palin, why is her husband always up front and center, when all the other canidates spouses are either in the background or not there at all?

September 11, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Randi - NY

Palin looked uncomfortable. She jumped on the answers, sounding scripted, overly confident and not thoughful. My first impression (besides her being significantly prepped), is she has a sheltered perspective and isn't one for introspection. So far, appears a lot like Bush.

September 11, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  11. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Betty Ann...I was thinking about you as I tuned-in and saw the latest update on the storm (good thoughts).

September 11, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, Ohio

Most people will probably be surprised by how well Palin did without the teleprompter.

September 11, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  13. katiedid

I think Palin looked tentative in some of her answers.

September 11, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Derryck

This night was good for the both of them. But not for Sarah She was weak and scared.

September 11, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Mark

Thanks for your efforts and coverage on so much, done so well, especially now the Ike info as my parents – in their mid-80's – are in Houston getting ready to be battered.

September 11, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Ana-Boston

Anderson, being in the field shows the real jornailsm. You are such an inspiration.

September 11, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Mark

Interesting that McCain said in his interview tonight that it's "easy for him in Washington to be removed from what's going on with the people." I hope the Dems get that byte.

September 11, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Juliet, Chandler AZ

David Gerger was right to compare Palin to an ordinary citizen. If nothing else, Palin has proven to America that she is an ordinary citizen.

September 11, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Dee T

What about the people in southern Louisiana? That whole coastline looks like it will be under water again, being on the right side of Ike. Have they been evacuated? And what about the storm surge hitting New Orleans?

P.S. First time I've ever heard of the "Bush Doctrine." Guess Palin isn't as close to Bush as the Dems would have everyone believe!

September 11, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Sarah E

I can't wait for the debates. I am hopeful that the questions to the candidates are not about lipstick and love of country. I hope they both have a chance to discuss the real issues that they want to bring to washington.

September 11, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Quincy

I appreciate the turn of the coverage back to issues. i hope tomorrow things stay on this positive road and don't go back to that silliness.

September 11, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  22. EJ (USA)

I loved the forum. The tone of it was so positive & uplifting. Too bad McCain's campaign can't follow the tone McCain said they would in the beginning.

September 11, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Fred

Karen, I think that Barack has held his on over these last 19 months. Palin is "JUST NOT READY TO BE VP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Sean G

Anderson people like me trust your opinion because you are always fair and genuine. Consider making a plea personally for those in harms way in Texas to leave. Some may listen to you....I would!

September 11, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Louise

Palin was being coached by some of George Bush's advisors

September 11, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Leslie Jones McCloud

Did I hear McCain say during the forum excerpt that he was "somewhat divorced from the day-to-day problems that people have" when he is in Washington D.C.?
    He still has a constituancy to appease–whether he does it or not is on the people of AZ.
    I cannot believe I heard him admit that.

September 11, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Chris

I believe that Palin will be the reason for her own downfall. She looked nervous and just unsure of her answers in the interview. How do you think she will do in the debates?

September 11, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  28. kim-chicago

Unfortunately, I think Sarah Palin is everything I feared she was. Does John McCain seriously think she has enough of a grip on the issues to run this country... especially foreign policy?

September 11, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Kathy, Chicago

I know this seems naive, but Ive never heard of a community organizer, never met a community organizer and have no idea what a community organizer does.

September 11, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Jacqui Chan

Yes Erica, Thank you for telling us to check this site for blogs about September 11th, the worst anniversary imaginable. Other than the day my cousin died September 11, 2001 was the worst day of my life. Though I didn't know ne1 who perished personally it was such a miserable and scary time... WE will never forget....

September 11, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Maria

Definetly NOT ready, what a fiasco.

Very scary to think that she could be our president........

September 11, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  32. teresa

While Barack was "cute" in his initial response to theColumbia College Forum question about McCain and National Service; of course the real answer is no.

September 11, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar

To all bloggers in Texas,
    You're so kind welcome...........

September 11, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Tommy

Is it me; or did John McCain say Sarah Palin was more qualified to be President than he was? I think he needs to drop out and let Palin take his place at the top of the ticket.

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Kathleen Shellady

Mayors have the toughest job in America? How about firefighters, rescue teams, police officers, surgeons, teachers, etc. etc. etc.?

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  36. James-Utah

The NATO question was telling. If you push for Georgia to be in NATO you must be willing to commit troops, true, but it is still not known who provoked who. What are her facts based on as who initiated the conflict. Military commitment without proof, sound familiar?

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Mike - Texas

Dean,

If she had responded that she was intimately familiar with all BUSH policies and terminology, you would have just claimed MORE OF THE SAME, like she was reading from the bush play book.

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Colleen M., Duluth, Mn.

I don't need a candidate that i can relate to in terms of lifestyle, ordinary life etc..What we need is the brightest most extraordinary people that can handle extremely complex issues and surround themselves with the best and the brightest.

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  39. EJ (USA)

I really like(d) Charlie Gibson, but I found his tone during Governor Palin to be condescending. Very unfortunate.

I thought Charlie's tone is like that to everyone he interviews.

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Tom Buskirk

What efforts are being taken to evacuate low income families out of harms way. Are buses being provided or transportation to shelters?

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Robert in Greensboro

Why did Charlie Gibson ask Gov Palin if they she has met a foreign leader as if that somehow will make her a better VP? I would much rather hear about maturity, intellect, negotiating ability, etc. Who cares if they have met a particular foreign president or premier?

September 11, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Sherry

Palin comments: I wondered tonight if she had been coached/prepared for the Gibson interview by the same handlers or writers who prepared her acceptance speech. She seemed determined to repeat the same phrases. I think Palin was a poor choice for VP, and thinking about her assuming the Presidency if something happened to McCain is more than scary. What was he thinking? Or was he coerced into the selection?

September 11, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, Ohio

I thought this forum was very good and they both did well.

September 11, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Vijaya Rajkumar

Is this lady for real!!! I can't imagine what our country has come to? It is very , very scary her being so close to being President of the greatest country in the world.

September 11, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  45. sue

Mike from Syracuse...I'd bet a million bucks that obama knew what the bush doctrine was...now Mccain on the other hand, I'm not too sure-Seeing that that was obviously one of the things that the McBush team didn't teach her.

September 11, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  46. Marian

This woman is in no way ready to be Vice President and the fact that she even believes she can handle the VP job is almost laughable if it were not such a serious issue. This was the most scripted interview to date given by anyone. What is she going to do with Putin, give him a lecture on God?

September 11, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

AC, 360 staff in Texas, and gulf coast residents. Stay safe, it sounds like Ike is going to pack a mean punch. Let's only hope it is not as bad at it sounds or maybe does veer left or right of Galveston a bit.

September 11, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Minou, New York City

I feel sorry for all the people who have to evacuate. They have to leave so much behind,not knowing whether they will ever see it again. They can't go to work/school, and their whole lives are disrupted. Also, it must be very expensive to evacuate! What a loss, emotionally, financially and materially.

September 11, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. tammy

palin did not have a clue on some of the questios that was asked to her tonight

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Anthony B. Chucci

Anderson. I did not see Palin's response to Gibson's question on the "Bush Doctrine" as clueless. I saw a woman not being galled into responding in a way that the media wants to paint as a copy of the current administration.

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |