September 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. David, Indiana

sorry anderson, you're in Houston, not Galveston my mistake, hope you and everyone in Texas stay safe

Sarah Palin's first interview as vp candidate and people are all anxious to jump all over her

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  2. tracie

Godspeed to all of you in path of Ike. I live in South Florida...I know what it's like. Be safe!

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Todd Offutt

I really like(d) Charlie Gibson, but I found his tone during Governor Palin to be condescending. Very unfortunate.

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Kim-Canada

Has there been as much warning and prep for Ike as there was for the previous huricane I think it was called Hanna?

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. valerie

Palin sounds like she "has an answer for everything." That's scary. Can you spell STEPFORD?

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Agnes Trujillo

The better question to the foreign leader issue, is have you ever had a conversation with a non-u.s. citizen, excluding Canada and Mexico vacations. A bet that is a great big no, too.

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  7. john in michigan

AC,

Really, we don't need yet another reporter standing in the rain and wind during a hurricane. It is becoming silly. Be smart, go inland, then head back to the Houston/Galveston and HELP people if they need it. We'll have a lot more respect for you if you do that.

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Mike - Texas

thank you megan for your prayers and all who are concerned.

September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hey, all you guys were whining that Palin hadn't done any interviews. Well now she has, and by most accounts did pretty good. Yes, she was coached. ALL politicians get coached before a media events. If you don't think Obama and McCain had dry runs of tonight's forum you aren't living in the real world.

September 11, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Dale

Good evening,
    Was it my imagination or was there a doe in the headlight look to Palin as the questions were asked?

Take care all in Texas

September 11, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Sarah E

Thank you Dean. I agree, how can she lead in Washington and not know a defining theory like that?

September 11, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  12. James

I am an independent and I now know that Sarah Palin is a big mistake. She sounds like she has been program by the the right and seems very offensive at times in her interview . Can she handle the pressure or is she beginning to breakdown?

September 11, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Tim, MD

Chris Allen:

If they in fact think it's unsafe to be in the hurricane's path, to the extent of certain death, I'm glad they chose to use those words! No need to sugar coat the truth in this matter to express the severity of the danger.

September 11, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  14. mike

did you see the way Palin looked when she was asked about the Bush Doctrine? She was thinking "umm, Bush Doctrine, I should know this!" She is going to turn out to be another Dan Quayle.

September 11, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Pam

My opinion is that if she cant handle the heat from the media then how will she handle the job. If she cant do the news circuit and take tough questions from the media and answer on the "fly" because she knows policies and she has an opinion...then how does she do the job of VP? I would think the press will be the lighter side of the job as VP.

September 11, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Patricia

Anderson: What we are watching on Sarah Palin's interview is not was she thinks, is was she has been learning at a very accelerated pace over the last two weeks. She is just reciting it over like a lesson for an exam.
    Her defiant confidence shown on her speech she gave at the republican coference is gone. She looks very nervious and her body languaje and very bad posture shows lack of knowledge.

September 11, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Erika, Miami

I live in Miami and have been following hurricanes closely for the past 15 years or so and I have never seen "Certain Death" in an advisory down here.

I hope everyone heeds the warning and they will be in my prayers!

September 11, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

My hearts go to bloggers in Texas, hope you will be safe of path hurricane Ike out of harm's way...... you are all my prayers and thoughts with you......

September 11, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Jen

"I was quoting Abraham Lincoln" Are you kidding me?

September 11, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Shannon

Sorry, Bay I want someone that can actually negotiate a peace treaty should something happen to the President. Meeting foreign leaders and understanding the nuances of international policies is critical.

September 11, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Ann Baker

I was watching the 9/11 replays this morning, reminding us all about that DAY. I realized I would not feel confident having Sarah Palin as the leader of our country in the event something like that ever happens again. After listening to her interview, I'm sure I don't want her leading this country.

September 11, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Anderson remember the San Luis is the strongest hotel in Galveston!

September 11, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. David

Is Palin moving to the top of the ticket? It sure feels like it. Lets get back to the real problems of how the actual candidates are going to bring about all this change they propose without scaring off big business to other countries.

September 11, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  24. Donn Pulley

David Gergen,

I DO believe that she should have known what the Bush Doctrine is if she is at all interested in politics. Of course, I am a political science junkie and I did know what the term meant. I did enjoy how Charlie Gibson immediately realized that she did not know the answer and revised the question accordingly. Doubt we will see her do an interview for a LONG time!!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Erika, Miami

Watching her interview just sealed the deal for me. I am definitely voting for Obama. I would not vote for McCain when there is a possibility that she could become our president.

She seemed uncomfortable, too rehearsed and even a little testy. I will watch the other parts of her interview but I give her a C- for this first part.

September 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Dean

We hold our elected officials to a higher standard of both intelligence and conduct. Charlie Gibson's question regarding the "Bush Doctrine" had Palin frozen like a deer in headlights. For anyone to say that "most people don't know what the Bush Doctrine is" holds absolutely no value. Most of us aren't running for the replacement Commander in Chief!

September 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Shevette Jones

I'm not sure I like all of the attention that Palin is receiving. At first I was just miffed, but given the light, that the current Vice-President is possibly the great and powerful Oz, I guess you are right to keep covering her every move. We are running out of time though. You (the media) did not cover the current VP in this manner and look at what happens when you did not pull that curtain back. Hurry up and expose this wizard, there is too much at stake.

September 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Jay

Reaction to Bay Buchanan –

Palin has not meet any foreign heads of state and her experience with the world outside of America is minimal. Sure, the "local, small town" vibe makes the conservative base "relate" to her better, but it also reaffirms the premise on which Bush foreign policy is based: cultural myopia and insensitivity.

Ever wonder why the rest of the world would vote liberal if they had a vote?

September 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Mitzi

Interview 1 of 3:

Her answers were scripted and in great avoidance of a direct concise answer following a direct question.

She would be the perfect Republican Community Relations Ambassador.

Being a Gov. of any state is not a small job. But her experience to date would be like the Hill Billies going to Beverly Hills. Palin is not experienced enough for 2008!

September 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Minou, New York City

The size of IKE is horrifying!

September 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Ken in NC

With this hurricane coming, I think the people of the USA are about to have the limits of giving and support tested. One thing I am comfortable with is that WE as a nation can meet that challenge. What bothers me is the ability of our government to work with it's people in putting resources in place to augment our support and giving. Historically that has been a part of our problem with government.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse NY

The Bush Doctrine question was clearly an attempt to trip up Palin. I doubt Obama knows what it is either.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Kathy, Andover

I hope we get to hear more from David Gergen Friday night, regarding how Palin did.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Franco Russo

If she in fact doesn't know what the Bush Doctrine is then how can you say that she is "more of the same" as Bush.

You can't have it both ways!!!

She is clearly not Bush duplicated. I hope the Dems go there, it will again blow in their face.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Kim-Canada

OK, I really would love to know the number of people in bush's own Admin who knew Bush's Doctrine. Is it printed in a government policy paper or something. I consider myself a news junky and political news hound...love it...but I was so confused. Besides that, I still don't think she provided much clarity for those trying to make a decision on whether she was a good vp choice or not.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Lisa-le

Anderson Cooper please be careful over there.. And All my Prayers goes out to all my friends and family in Houston. And Roland I will be praying for your family too.

As for 9-11 my heart goes out to all the family's tonight in there time of sorrow as well as for Katrina victims. and Now with Ike on the rise there will be more. Pray that everything works out for the better for all.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Darrin

I evacuated during Hurricane Rita 3 years ago. I sat in 18hrs of traffic from Houston to San Antonio. My heart goes out to anyone stuck on the highway.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Jerry

It is one thing for the mayor of a small town to not know the Bush Doctrine, but it is entirely another thing for a VP candidate of the US to be so clueless. Even tho she gave a good try at faking it, it was quite apparent that she was blanked!

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Roweena D'Souza, Seattle

I lived in Houston for two and half years and fortunately never had to face an evacuation but have heard of the mess created during the evacuation from Rita. I still have close friends and colleagues there who have already evacuated and pray for the safety of all who have decided to stay.

Anderson, stay safe.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Julie-Maine

Come on people. Lets put the claws away and be real. Charlie Gibson did try to trip her up, that's his job. Sarah seemed to be on the defensive. However, both Obama and McCain have said and done the wrong things under pressure. These people are human beings. AND she is certainly not stupid as some bloggers suggest.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Jewel

Even Pat Buchanan looked like he was ready to scream at the Palin interview.

September 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

Mike/Texas, she's not getting attacked for nothing. she was lousy. she might be a nice person in real life, but should know way more about politics than she does.

September 11, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Gilbert, Northwest Houston TX

Where in Houston is Anderson? I would like to know as a reference point to compare the weather.

September 11, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Nelda

Palin's interview was lame. She must stick to being a hockey mom. There's nothing wrong with being a mom until your children are all adults and until then your life is second in line. She doesn't know much about real world politics. Rule and regulate your household and take care of your husband. She's definitely scary. We must take care of one war a time. Now she's suggesting to go to war with Russia.
    Palin was nervous, unsure of her answers, and blew it. Her body language was defensive and seemed to be attacking the Charlie. There was some anger in her tone. Whatever happened to being a pit bull with lipstick.

September 11, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  45. kenny harvell

Need info on IKE tonight, and not about the election/Palin. CNN has 2 months to talk about the election. CNN isacting like FEMA. The program direction must be Bronniee from FEMA

September 11, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  46. klim lala - orlando Fl

Stay safe Anderson

September 11, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Diane - Iowa

I don't care if she knows what the Bush Doctrine is – what is important is that she did a great job of articulating her views on the issues. Who cares if she knows some 'code words' you guys use. Charlie came across in the interview as a VERY ANGRY OLD MAN lecturing someone. Sarah held her own against someone who obviously thought that doing the interview was beneath him. I guess he just needs to get back in the tank for Obama.

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Thanks Megan! You guys are a great 360 family. I know with all your prayers we will survive.
    XXOO

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Mike - Texas

Carol, PA. While terrorism may never stop, we have to be willing to protect the citizens of the USA. We at least have them on the run and now that we have hit them in Pakistan, they will have few safe havens left.

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  50. valerie

I am a Houstonian who is currently as frightened of Sarah Palin as I am of Hurricane Ike. Both are dangerous, unpredictable, and sucking the life out of everything within a 500 mile radius. Help!

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |