September 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Fred

To the ones that think that Charles tryied to trip her up. Either you know or you don't know.

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Blair

Thanks for trying to get them to break from the 'script' and just speak the truth.

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Kathy, Chicago

Everyone is so worried about something happening to McCain and Palin being is charge. What do we do if something happens to Biden. Yikes-we're stuck with Obama.

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. klim lala - orlando Fl

Palin just got lucky... put on the view with Jot and she will see tough questions

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Ben - Michigan

Correct me if I am wrong Anderson, but last I knew, Georgia is not a part of NATO so what is Sarah Palin talking about when she refers to our responsibility to NATO? I think she seemed blind sided during that interview and I am not impressed!

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Liz

If Sarah Palin had said the moon is made of green cheese, Bay Buchanon would say "I think it was an excellent answer" – it's all we've heard from her for days, they don't have to have her back, they can just record that phrase and play it back every time they want Bay's 'opinion'

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. john gonzalez

I consider myself an average american but from what I saw in the Charlie Gibson interview Palin did not know what the Bush Doctrine was and I did.

September 11, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Chris Allen

Does any one think that the "certin death" statement was to harsh?

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. tracie

A couple more interviews like that and I'll be the happiest Democrat in Florida! Go Palin!

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Shannon

Palin seemed very nervous. I am just amazed that they allowed her to break this interview into three parts so she could prep between sections. Amazing what a pass the MSM is giving her for the second highest position in our country.

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  11. mike

wow, i've never seen andrew zimmerman so fired up! go andrew, we need for of that!

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Dee Stevens

Please take care of yourself Anderson and try to stay safe amist the forces of Hurricane Ike. I will pray for you and Texans. All the CNN staff stay safe in Texas. It seems a team of earth scientists are needed to study all these hurricanes. Be wise, be carefull, be safe.

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. klim lala - orlando Fl

Bay B. never has a problem with any GOP member... is she serious?

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Tina L

I thought she was gonna punch Gibson. Did you see her posture? Sure is a fiesty one ain't she? I'm Scarrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeedddddd!!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Tim, MD

Right on Jeanette!!!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Michael

The CNN pundits are being really soft on the Palin interview. She was HORRIBLE. The Bush Doctrine question sank her. It was so painfully obvious she had no idea what Gibson was talking about. And the Russia saber rattling is so dangerous. I don't care what political party you belong to... either vote Obama or insist McCain dumps her from the ticket. She is not ready and she will not be ready 50-odd days from now.

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Kathleen Shellady

Palin's answers were not solid, but very shaky. I think she is over her head at this point in her life. She is spunky, but not even close to being a "heartbeat" away from the presidency.

September 11, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Catherine

Thanks for the prayers! Even though I'm out of her house and out of Texas I still need my mom.

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. teresa

Both Palin & McCain have "military" children.
    I cannot imagine that either of them want their children in harms way for NO reason.

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Rob

As a registered republican, I am embarassed by Palin and the arguments defending McCain's horrible decison.

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Dorothy

Hi all !

Anderson be careful down there, my prayers are with all in the stoms way.

On the Sarah Palin things: as a republican & a military wife I feel she has not proven she is ready and I feel she has not talked enough about the issues facing us as a country. I am sick of hearing all about the family etc. and her possible involvement in impoper actions in her current job. I am doing something I thought I would never do and that is voting Democrate.

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Louise

Palin looks like a deer caught in the headlights

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Ana-Boston

Anderson, she is so unprepared... Sarah is not able to round up americans.

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Jackie

I am scared folks suppose she does become the VP and something happen to McCain! I thought that she showed she really just doesn't have a clue! Please folks wake up!

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  25. klim lala - orlando Fl

Sorry Karen, Obama has been questioned way worse for his beliefs, parents, name and race.....

If Palin cant handle good ole Charlie Gibson how is she going to run our country when Johnny boy kicks the bucket?

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Alexia

Um, is it just me, or did Buchanan basically say that the American people want someone as untraveled and ignorant as they are? (I'm not saying that, she did.)

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Cay

Is she confident or cocky? To paraphrase the words of a famous person, does she even know what she doesn't know?

September 11, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Richard Weldon

Are you kidding me? Palin revealed herself as not only not ready, but not prepared for the Gibson interview. McCain's people failed her, as he failed his party by choosing her. Palin is not lacking in passion or enthusiasm, but clearly in not educated in the foreign policy issues facing our country, and extant in the world. I am a registered Democrat who will not vote for Obama, and cannot vote for McCain because of the Palin choice.

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Amna, TX

My brother lives in Galveston, he is on his way to Dallas. The highways there are packed since a lot of people are on the roads. I pray for everyone's safety. Be safe Anderson!

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Angela, Vancouver

ahhh...I think that dropping the "islamic extremists" wasn't smart...

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Quincy

Anderson, that was stupid question. Of course Bay wasn't going to say anything negative about Palin.

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  32. S. Gibson

Does anyone else get a sense of anger from Palin?

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar

Betty Ann,
    My heart goes to you and son to be safe place...... you are my prayers and thoughts........... let me know when you will hear from your son.

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Louise

If you have not seen the tough questions put to Obama then you have not been watching TV

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Sara

Sheesh, I don't want a leader that I can "relate to". I want someone more qualified than I would be.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  36. beth

Regarding Sarah Palin ... how could anyone say she was confident in what she was saying?!?!?!?!?

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Jim in North Carolina

It is a policy from God.. Facts always get in the way. No foreign experience. She kept her head and did not make a fool of herself.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Kim-Canada

You're right Erica. Memory of 9/11 is very important, today and all year long.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Geno Gray

Can you say "back sliding"? Our troops are on a mission from God? Are you serious? She realized that she sounded just like Bush. I believe in God, and call myself a Christian, but many lives have been lost and taken in the name of God. I believe the creator is capable of handling his lady is out there.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Alan

It is a sham to give Palin a pass on not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is. Any informed citizen... even much more so a Gov. of a State , would know the Bush Doctrine is a doctrine of preemption (preemtive strikes)...even when the US has not been attacked.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Will - Michigan

The conflict is unacceptable. Wow... she's put down the hammer! There is no wiggle room with her. Forget diplomacy… Push the button!

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Thanks Nicole! We appreciate your sweet prayers~

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Mike - Texas

i guess everyone who have been waiting on Palin's interview are going to slam her. Go on. The more she is attacked, the more she will be appreciated.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Jennifer

My thoughts and prayers to all of the families and loved ones in Texas.

Of course Palin was coached. I really hope that there will be a way for her to face the press that allows her to speak off the cuff and from her heart. With that, her true colors will shine through in time. Then Americans can make the right choice and say no to insanity.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Larry

I wish Bay Buchanan would stop sugar coating the entire Palin interview. She is talking in such superlatives that of course we know she is lying just because she is Republican.

September 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Total B.S. Palin needs more international experience. Pat Buchanan is WRONG! it is important!

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Kathleen Shellady

Palin is so testy.....no it doesn't make us feel close to her not seeing world leaders.....we need someone who is in touch!

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Karen

Re the Palin interview- I haven't seen such tough questions put to Barack Obama in 19 months! And Palin's been on the scene for a matter of days. Why am I not surprised?

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

I'm glad she is finally starting to come out from hiding. I want to hear more of what she has to say. Hopefully today will mark the end of the campaign making her inaccessible to us.

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Carol, PA

Good evening, Erica. In answer to who is winning the war on terror, I don't believe there is any way of measuring, especially since the war in Iraq continues to cloud the issue. It is doubtful terrorism will ever stop because of the intense hatred. I have no doubt that another attack will be attempted in the future.

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |