September 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kris

"A task from God" how different is such a comment when it comes from an American politician or a Middle Eastern Islamic fanatic? . This is irresponsible, because it gives the fundamentalists in the Middle East proof that they are fighting a religious war.

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Jeanette

For the first time I disagree with David Gergin. Though it's true that most of us don't have knowledge of the Bush Doctrine, we're not the ones running for Vice President.

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  3. sally

for mr. gergen to provide the excuse for ms. palin that he doubted anyone knew what the bush doctrine was is pitiful. someone, regardless of sex, who is running for president or vp SHOULD know not only a doctrine such as this but oh so much more that she has yet to ensure me she is truly up to speed on – not prompted by some aid.

September 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Vega

Sure, most common people don't know what the Bush doctrine is, but it's important to note that most common people are not running to be VP of the United States, Sarah Palin is and therefore should know her stuff.

September 11, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Louise

Palin's son chose to go into the Army, she did not send him.

September 11, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Lisa-le

Sara did answer any questions please Sara Pain in the A give us all a break and drop out while you can. Run Sara Run

September 11, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Darrin

With all this talk about religion and politics, what happened to the secularity of government? The separation of church and state?

September 11, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Sarah

What does God have to do with this war? Where was GOd when the U.S. was attacked on September 11th?

September 11, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Jodi Creten

Interesting that John Mc Cain and Sarah Palin appear mostly together, isn't it?! Charlie Gibson's interchange with Palin proves why. She needs John at her side at all times, and it won't be long and they will be reunited again, and they will take care of all of our worldly cares! Baloney!

10. Nicole A. - Indianapolis

Betty Ann- I will pray for your son and I hope he makes it out safely.

11. Donn Pulley

Anderson, watching Sarah Palin's interview tonight on ABC was so sad! It was like asking a freshman in college to answer questions meant for a PhD. She sure is gutsy now unlike her answer on July 14th in which she had many reservations about her qualifications. Pitiful! For the record, I am a Republican who is planning on voting for Obama along with my wife. We look forward to seeing your broadcast from Texas. Stay safe!!!

12. Reginald (Atlanta)

She has been overly prepared......kinda like trying to answer the question before you ask.

Please have a discussion not scripted answers.....let me know what you think not what someone told you to think

13. liz, bloomington IN

oh gov. palin –
    using religion as justification for war automatically discredits the religion. she's giving us more the of the same.

for all in ike's path – good luck, and God speed.

14. Jewel

What did she mean about not choosing an easy path? Was she referring to college? Just curious

15. Jon gallo

Anderson i wanted to comment on David Gergans point yes most americans aren't aware of what the "Bush Doctrine" is, but however most americans aren't responsible for running for the Vice President of the united states

16. Kim-Canada

Catherine, prayers to your family in harms way. I hope they remain safe.

17. Louise

comfortable, honest and confident?? Give me a break

18. william griffin

hands down, palin is nuts, if anyone in america still thinks we are the bully without a black eye they are nuts too. the last few years show very well how easily a super power is no so super. we have way too many problems at home. spreading ourselves so thin at our weakest moments is nuts. i am no isolationist, but its time to concentrate at home until the immenent threat exposes itself

19. Kathy, Andover

In her own words?????

Aren't you going to cover who coached Palin???

20. Jeff C.

Sara Palin keeps referring to her "children's decision". To have a baby, go to war, etc. I can't wait until she gets to Washington so she can take away the choices of everyone else.

21. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    Be careful........ keep away from derbis and stay safe where are you standing.

22. Fred

Palin "has no clue to what she is talking about"

23. Kathy, Chicago

SP is stronger than me. I don't think that I could send my son to Iraq.

24. Kathleen Shellady

Palin side stepped the question.....

25. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Thank you Erica for reminding us all of what really matters today. The blog posts are amazing. I was very thankful for them. Great job all!

September 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  26. lisa tx

cooper thank you for comming to texas .we know you will keep us well imformed.you did a great job in la.stay safe

September 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  27. Jacqui Chan

my Mom thinks he tried to trick Sara Palin by throwing her a ? that most people wouldn't understand

September 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Nicole A. - Indianapolis

Was she really thinking about Abraham Lincoln in that video? I don't think so. She should just be honest and say what she really means.

September 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Catherine

Seriously....and I mean seriously how many people blogging knew what the Bush Doctrine was? I work in public policy and I didn't. I know what the preimptive strike doctrine is, but I had never heard the term "Bush Doctrine."

September 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  30. Tommy

I'm not running for VP, but I do know what the Bush Doctrine is. I now know why America is in the shape it's in, people want people with a lower IQ than they have to run the country. I think people are threatened by intelligent people.

September 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  31. vic nashville,Tn

Mainstream media thinks small town people are uneducated because they watch local channels
    Small town people understand what Sarah Palin is saying

September 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Jess

Candy's comment about seeing the interview through the prism of who you support is simply ducking the question. If Republicans are using words like 'fine' or 'okay' to describe this interview, or can say no more than she answered the questions 'correctly' then they recognise who poor she really did.

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  33. Sarah

She doesn't believe in abortion but she believes in killing people in a war. Does this make sense?

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Armand Graziani

I think Charles Gibson exhibited a smug attitude in trying to trip up Palin by NOT saying "What do you think of the Bush Doctrine with respect to the notion of a pre-emptive strike"

Armand

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  35. teresa

From what I saw of the Palin/Gibson interview, I thought she seemed comfortable, honest and confident. Well done Sara!

On another note: Anderson stay safe

To all those that lost a friend, aquaintance, co-worker or loved one on September 11th: Peace be with you...

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Agnes Trujillo

I really wanted Palin to do well at the convention and I thought her speech was good, but I also felt sorry because I just had a feeling that she didn't know her stuff. You can't cram to be a world leader.

The interview with Charlie Gibson, which seems fair soft, shows that she only knows what is told to her by the Bush team hired to tell her. What a shame. She could have been a force to be reckoned with, given the right timing and training.

John McCain should be ashamed for throwing her into the deep end of the pool for his long quest for the presidency.

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  37. Dick Jonas

Candy Crowley is right about NATO. It is a mutual defense organization. If Georgia and Ukraine are members they would expect the alliance to come to their defense. What if the Russians were to attack Britain? Or France? Or the Czech Republic? What should NATO do, stand idly by and never fire a shot?

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

Arthur, of course Palin was coached. McCain and Obama and Biden get coached too. Before the debates they will all be spending hours in mock debates. That's how it's done for everyone.

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Michele

I disagree with Candy that most swing voters are only concerned with the top of the ticket. I would have been much more comfortable with John McCain had he not picked Sarah Palin. His choice shows Palin makes it impossible for me to vote for him.

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  40. EJ (USA)

If she doesn't do too well its really the fault of McCain and the Bush advisors. They are the ones who put her in that position.

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Thanks pati! Send prayers for those trying to evacuate~

September 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Patty

David Gergin,

Today marks the first time I disagree with you...and strongly.
    She most certainly should have know what the Bush Doctrine is...
    you compared her to most American and she isn't. She could possibly serve as Commander and Chief!

September 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  43. Tiff in TN

I hope that people take these warnings seriously. I am very concerned that there will be lives loss..

September 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Steve

How can you say your going to change Washington, when you don't even know what your suppose to be changing. Now that's change I can believe in. Lord I wish she would do an interview with Anderson or Campbell.

September 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Kenneth

Sarah you're exactly right. I understand that most americans don't know what the Bush Doctrine is but if you're running for VP I think you should know. I don't think she even knows the definition of "Foreign Policy".

September 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  46. ericacnn

Thanks for logging on tonight, bloggers. Two very big stories tonight – Hurricane Ike and good ol' politics - but let's not forget today's anniversary.

If you haven't yet read some of the 9/11 blogs on this site today, I encourage you to check them out.

September 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  47. klim lala - orlando Fl

B4 you mention the Bush Doctorin I watch the interview LIVE and knew that she did not know what it was......She was able to recover though luckily for her it was'nt worse

September 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  48. teresa

From what I saw of the Palin/Gibson interview, I thought she comfortable, honest and confident. Well done Sara.

On another note: Anderson stay safe

September 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Kim-Canada

I think Candy Crowley is the first reporter to be pushing the fact that voters are focusing on the top of the ticket. I hope his pushes the media in the same direction and the focus then becomes the issues. I get a sense of urgency from reading fellow bloggers of the importance of the issues. What Palin knows or does not know about the UN is not going to put food on struggling Americans tables, however McCain and Obamas stance on reinventing and rejuvenating the economy may put that food on their tables in the near future. Thank you Candy!

September 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  50. david

when the gop picks a 72 year old as top of the ticket, you have to look at the bottom of the ticket, and in this case you have to ask yourself if something happens to mccain, do we really want PALIN with the keys to the button. lets think about this one for a minute....

September 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |