September 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Chris in New Jersey

I would be curious to know how a body language interpreter would judge Palin during her interview with Charlie Rose. To me, she was shooting from the hip and looked like a deer briefly caught in the headlights. She is an opportunist and clearly not ready for a VP position.

September 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

Well – I say – lets wait to hear the whole interview & not just one snippet.

September 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Mesha

Hello ac and team...Back to the issues...YEA

September 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

It would be nice to know Obama's position on admitting Ukraine and Georgia to NATO. Palin is right, it's a treaty obligation to defend any NATO member under attack.

September 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Oh gosh Betty Ann, I surely hope that your son is able to get out and be safe. I will pray too. Keep us posted!

September 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Mike - Texas

Thank you david gergen. I'd like to see a poll of how many people know what the "Bush Doctrine" is? Maybe it proves that she really is one of us who doesn't know all the "lingo".

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  7. charles

come on a canidate for vice pres. dosnt know the bush doctorine and possibly another war whith what resources?

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

I'm glad she did this interview. Hopefully ppl will now understand that she is not qualified to be replacing the president when times call for it.

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Arthur

Gov. Palin was coached for this interview. If she continues on this path she will hurt the GOP. I can't wait to see the VP debate.

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Robyn Martell

I think the Bush doctrine thing is the least of Palin's trouble. Did anyone notice that Charlie Gibson asked her three questions back-to-back and she kept giving the exact same word-for-word response? That freaked me out. It seemed very coached and made her look like she couldn't give her own opinion. Like she couldn't answer something off script.

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Jacqui Chan

yes EJ I agree with you but I think being on top of the story no matter what the risk is deep within Anderson's sole.
    This being said I hope everyone on the 360 staff and ne1 else in harms way is as careful as possible...

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Louise

Anderson please be careful in Texas

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Roweena D'Souza, Seattle

I've never heard of the bush doctrine, but then I am not a potential VP!

September 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Franco Russo

I think her answer on Russia was decisive and reflects US Foreign Policy. Any president would have answered the same way. She did not say that she is willing to go to war off the bat. She did say that she would go toward economic and political sanctions first and for foremost.

I expect the Dems to make much issue on this and at the same time say that the Republicans are being dishonest.

What a joke

September 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

My son lives in Houston and can't get out yet. The highways are too congested. I am praying he and his family make it out of there!

September 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Angela, Vancouver

She sooooooooo did not know what the Bush Doctrine was!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Colleen M., Duluth, Mn.

Hi bloggers. It's hard to focus on Palin with that dangerous hurricane bearing down on Texas. I was there for Hurricane Rita and that was bad enough. I hope people heed the warniings

September 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. sean

She is a political Super Star

September 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Clint Besheer

It is evident that Sarah Palin does not know/understand President Bush's Doctorine, and for a period, the McCain campaign was boasting about change. How can you bring about change if you do not know what was in place beforehand?

September 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Minou, New York City

"unprovoked"???? She really doesn't read the newspaper, does she!!! And that person is supposed to be qualified to be VP! pah!

September 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Louise

@lynn I agree, she is in way over her head

September 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Sarah

My goodness this woman is clueless and crazy!

September 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Ken in NC

I think Palin might have come off better had she not tried to "MUDDLE" her way through the Bush Doctrine. I would have felt better had she said she was not familiar with the Doctrine. Frankly this woman scares me more than my mother ever did.

September 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. lynn

Whops...Gov. Palin got a question the Bush advisors didn't prepare her for. She may be a future leader but she is in way over her head right now!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Catherine

I'm born and raised in Houston, my mom still lives there with my special needs sister and my elderly grandparents. They are not evacuating and this new warning is really worrying me. "Certain death" this is getting fierce. I've been reminding her to be safe.

September 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Louise

I think that the interview proved what I thought all along that there is not much going on upstairs, answers were vague and very general

September 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Kimberly

Thanks David Gergen for sticking up for Palin! You are a good man! God Bless you!

September 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. sean

Palin Power. Bush doctrine? Does anyone here, including Anderson/Erica, do you know the "CNN DOCTRINE"?

September 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. miguel

why is Palin not answering questions? she seems to diverting the question to me. Maybe is just me but it didn't sound honest.

September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Linda

Yes David, but she is running for V.P. and she is a Repubican! Please stop defending this woman!

September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. teresa

Hi Anderson!

A sad day remembered.......Perhaps it will remind us all to get back on track (as a country) to being the good people we really are .

September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

YIKES IKE"S coming to my town and I love two hours north of Houston and we are suppose to have hurricane force winds.
    Anderson, we all have to "hunker down!"

September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. EJ (USA)

Yeah – I'd give her that. I couldn't quote the Bush doctrine either.

September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Nicole A. - Indianapolis

Gergen- most people don't need to know what the Bush Doctrine is...but a VP candidate should.

September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Linda

Give Sarah her cue cards! Hurry!!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  36. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Good Evening All.

Well, way to get me over being mad about all the election circus coverage. Now we are faced with a major hurrican heading for Houston? Yikes!

Thanks Anderson for going there, and please stay safe in the storm.

Anxious to hear Peter Bergen this evening. Thanks for having him on.

September 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Robyn Martell

Hi Anderson and Erica!

I am in San Antonio TX. I was at the store two days ago and many people were gearing up for the Hurricane in the event that it hit the Corpus Christi area and then gives us some heavy rain and strong winds. Now it appears to have moved. I will happy if San Antonio doesn't see any of it. But we will be praying for those in Galveston and Houston bay area. We have a lot of luck in Texas. I'm just hoping it dissipates and doesn't hit as strongly as predicted.

September 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Sarah

A lot of Americans could have answered with clarity and poise. The fact is that she barely has an undergraduate education and not nearly enough political experience to take over for an ailing president.

September 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Nicole A. - Indianapolis

Prayers to those in Texas...be safe Anderson

September 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar

EJ,
    Yes, I hear that too, very certain death without warning.

September 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. EJ (USA)

Yeah I think that "certain death" warning should get Anderson away from the danger areas. (I hope!)

September 11, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. lynn

My heart and prayers go out to the people who have already experience the wrath of Ike and for those who have yet to encounter it!

September 11, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Maureen O. AppleValley, California

Anderson, be safe in Texas, PLEASE!!!! We want you back in NY in one piece and not waterlogged. oxoxox

September 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Sarah

Come on people, she doesn't know what she is doing. She is a Repubilcan and she doesn't know what the Bush Doctrine is.

September 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Kim-Canada

Prayers for those in Ikes path. Good evening Erica and Anderson

September 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all best Bloggers. So much to talk about tonight. Anderson it is nice to know you are on the job down there but you gotta get out.

September 11, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Tracey - Boston

Ike say it ain't so.

Hello everyone.

September 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. david

After seeing some excerpts of he palin interview with charlie gibson, its now VERY clear why she had not (or not allowed to) done any interviews, and perhaps, she should have waited a bit longer ; )

September 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

Wow – they are facing "certain death" if they don't evacuate? I didn't hear that warning.

September 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!
    I am shocked that people refuse to leave to shelter.... that is so dangerous storm hurricane Ike path category 2 or 3 will slam about 20 feet into Galveston, Texas. Please leave right now before it hits.
    I agree with you Roland!!!!

September 11, 2008 at 10:00 pm |