September 11th, 2008

I've never known her to lie

Steve Turnham
CNN Producer

One thing about Alaska politicians, they don't mince words. When Ted Stevens wants a project funded, he'll come out and ask for it, critics be dammed. And when you asked Governor Palin a tough question, she'll say exactly what she thinks. As one observer of Alaska politics put it, "I've never known her to lie."

Which is why the questionable claims in her shiny new stump speech are striking a false note back home.

Take that bridge.

When exactly did she tell Congress "no thanks" to the Bridge to Nowhere? Congress lifted the requirement that transportation money be spent on the bridge in November of 2005. Palin didn't become Governor until December of 2006, after campaigning for the bridge.

Fudging timelines is nothing new in politics, but Palin has a well earned reputation as the straightest of straight shooters.

To those who know her well back home, the double talk of the stump speech just isn't her style.

It'll be interesting to see, once she starts talking directly to the press again, if a politician who prides herself on speaking the truth will take on the tough questions, or stick to the new script.

Filed under: Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Sen

I watched the interview partially. I think she did reasonably well for being so new to the scene. Her answers were straight for the most part. I think she got stumped a bit on the Bush Doctrine question. While I do not think her lack of knowledge of what the Bush Doctrine is will matter, I do think it exposes a flaw in her character and that is lack of humility. We all face questions where we have no idea of what it means. The right thing to do is to say "I do not know what you mean, Charlie can you please explain what you mean by the Bush Doctrine?" The McCain campaign and her handlers will need to work on this. If she has a problem acknowledging she does not know something, it opens her up for tougher situations in debates or in meetings with foreign leaders if she does become the VP. It also seemed she was under a lot of stress. Her posture was defensive while her answers were clear and fairly aggressive.

September 12, 2008 at 1:20 am |
  2. nelson

Palin, is without a doubt one of the better liars I have seen
    in quite awhile... she will get caught more and more every day
    only the "nitwits" will persevere.. McCain better get the slime
    machine rolling again or it's lites out

September 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Ashok

media must focus on the facts and not the nice lies told by the politicians...drill baby drill....will not help us because of our refinary capacity, and the time it will take to build new facilities to refine oil. Can we ask the Sarah Palin , does she how long does it take to build a oil refinary? How long does it take to build a drilling facility....is drill baby drill possible in their 4 yrs if they win? Why mislead the American Public...lets speak the truth.....

September 11, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  4. maj

i don't like sarah i dont want her to be the vice president of the united of America five kids mother irresponsable,dont care about her kids.

September 11, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  5. Pat

Harrison Ellis Spears – Thank for your post and stating the truth. And I also thank you for your service and bravery. My prayers are with you and all your comrades. And I will vote for Obama because I believe he and Biden unlike McCain and Palin will work diligently to end the Iraq war and bring you and all our military members home. And I also believe Obama and Biden will bring peace and stability to the World, restore America ,increase job opportunites and give us back the Nation we knew, loved and were proud of before George W. Bush took office. God Bless.

September 11, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  6. Trish A

Cindy GA – You state Obama has changed his mind more times than we can count. Well I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is and give me an example! It is clear you are a Republican Supporter. I've seen many comments from you on these blogs attacking the Democrats and especially Obama, Yet I've never seen one statement in your posts to back up your charge. Anyone can call a Diamond a Spade but no one is likely to believe them.

I have no respect for Sarah Palin but I can give you my reasons as to why I don't. and back it up with examples.

September 11, 2008 at 7:24 pm |