September 11th, 2008

9/11: Cowards and courage

Editor's Note:
We are devoting many posts today to the anniversary of 9/11, with first-hand accounts, insight, and commentary dedicated to that day seven years ago that changed our world.
_____________________________________________________
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/11/art.vigil.jpg
caption="New Yorkers gather to hold a vigil to remember the victims of the 9/11 attacks."]
Gary Tuchman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

For seven years, I have marveled at the utter cowardice of the 9/11 hijackers. Could there be anything lower than knowing you're going to die, and deciding that you want to take as many innocent human beings who have families, hopes and dreams with you? It also astounds me so many people did and still do consider Osama Bin Laden a hero.

Certainly, it's a terrible disappointment the guy hasn't been brought to justice. But really; if he is still alive, he's too afraid to stick his face out in public. It's all part of the cowardly terrorist tradition.

Now, let's talk about the courageous. . I started meeting them seven years ago, when I watched rescuers search for survivors at the World Trade Center site as fires raged and tons of metal from the ruined complex hung precariously.

Rhona Chambers, the registered nurse who took me to the fallen towers in the hours after the disaster and showed me how and she and so many others risked their lives to try to save others. Genelle Guzman, the last survivor pulled out of the rubble; more than a day later, who thought she was going to die pinned by wreckage in the dark.

Claudia and Bob Capello, who lost their beloved son who worked in the World Trade Center. Their kindness to this reporter in the confusing days after 9/11 can only be described as inspirational. And then there is someone I knew longer than the rest. As I spoke on camera from Ground Zero in those initial horrifying days, I was surprised that as a former New Yorker, I didn't know anyone personally who died. But I was wrong.

My friend Diane Inghilterra, who worked with me early in my TV career had a 2 year old son named Sam and a husband named Louis who had the day off on September 11th. But Louis decided to go into his office anyway that morning in the World Trade Center to get some work done so he could enjoy a few days off with his family without worrying about paper piling up on his desk.

It was several days later that I found out from a mourning Diane that Louis was killed and that she too was a widow. Today, her son Sam is 9 and is just starting to truly understand what happened to his father. Diane is living through much of the initial torment all over again. To all the single 9/11 parents like Diane: you are the heroes. To call the people who caused such pain "heroic" and "brave" is not only infuriating, but ignorant.

1. Whatever

"Cowards"? Whatever else you could legitimately call someone willing to die for their beliefs, I don't think "coward" fits. Maybe you ought to pull out a dictionary and look that word up.

September 11, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  2. Paul

The 9/11 hijackers were certainly murderers, but I don't understand the drive to call a terrorist a coward. What they did, horrible as it was, was something most people would be too afraid to do even if they truly believed in their cause. Could you take over a plane, risking imprisonment or death, and if successful have the courage and conviction to fly it into a building? Doing any of those things would scare the hell out of me.

You write news from a comfortable desk in a first world country, how can you call someone who would die for what they believe in a coward?

September 11, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  3. Diana

Early this morning my husband put out our flag. We have flown and will continue to fly it every September 11 for the rest of our lives. We'll never let the enemy believe that for even a moment we've forgotten that day. God Bless the souls of the ones we lost, and the lives of those who survived.

September 11, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  4. Alexander

@ Emma Morrow: Non-political? This article assumes that Osama Bin Laden is responsible for 9/11, and refers to his behavior as a "cowardly terrorist tradition". All this article does is to devide the world into an ingroup (you, the innocent and pure Americans), and an outgroup (the evil terrorists). Have you ever questioned the official story of 9/11? Are you aware that the FBI has no "hard evidence" connecting Bin Laden to 9/11?

@Heather: Your're deceived. America is using every excuse to spread its military around the world. Have you ever asked why? Please do research. Whether you believe it or not, your government is your enemy. You are allowing yourself to be used by them, because you accept the official stories unquestioned. Have you every been on sites, such as journalof911studies?

September 11, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  5. Nick

Merriam-Webster defines coward as "one who shows disgraceful fear or timidity." Call them what you will but the 9/11 hijackers were not cowards. Vicious, vile, dastardly, malevolent? Sure. Cowardly? Not at all.

September 11, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  6. Matt

The people that attacked are evil on 9/11...but I wouldn't call them cowards...someone that is crazy enough to fly a plane into a trade center is 'crazy, evil, or stupid' but coward is not the term i think you're looking for.

September 11, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  7. Barb

It amazes me that the Republicans keep saying that President Bush has kept us safe for the past seven years. I think they flatter themselved and it has nothing to do with him. I believe that the terrorists are a patient bunch, and while we think seven years is a long time, it is actually a miniscule length of time in history. We have been lucky.

The terrorists value the element of surprise. They know it will take a long time for Americans to relax and feel confident that we've got things under control. That is when we will be most vulnerable . . . and they can wait.

My next statement may be irreverant for a day such at this, and probably inappropriate, but it is something that bothers me. It's interesting how we choose our "enemies" in this country. Everyday there are thousands who die because of another "enemy" . . . cancer, yet we don't go into attack mode and spend millions per day trying to
    destroy that enemy. Instead, we rely on donations. So sad!

September 11, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  8. Jeremiah

I believe that it is incorrect to label the 9/11 hickjackers as "cowards." They were evil, desperate villains who we should all detest and feel moral disgust towards. They represent the very worst about religious extremism, national fanaticism, and personal arrogance.

However, I don't believe that they are cowards. They infiltrated this country, successfully avoided our government officials, resisted the rational temptations of a better life which American society offers, and were willing to exchange their lives for their despicable cause. I don't believe that a true "coward" would have been able to complete any of those things.

I respect Mr. Cooper's comments and I know that my opinion stands in stark contrast to the beliefs of many people, but the American people are currently engaged in a World wide conflict with the very sort of sub-human creatures that attacked us on September 11th, 2001. We do ourselves a grave disservice when we underestimate our enemies and label them as "cowards." Radical Islamic terrorists, in the field, are a formidable, adaptable, and intelligent enemy that is willing to engage in ruthless guerrilla tactics in order to obtain their perverted goals. We underestimate them at our own peril.

The true cowards are those who recruit from the poorest of muslim neighborhoods and preach hate and fear disguised as a viable religion. These cowards, like Bin Laden, delight in taking all the evil credit for the suicide bombings and midnight murders that their followers carry out while they cower in caves, unwilling to sacrifice their own lives.

True cowardice is preaching hate, fear, and destruction from a distance.

***

May God bless those families who suffered the most on 9/11. I pray that God may dull their pain and grant them comfort on this solemn day.

September 11, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  9. Chris

Sigh. I think we all get it by now right? Of course, the people who ran into the building were heroes; bravely going into the unknown in the name of duty, responsibility and decency. However, calling the hijakers cowards is to too quickly dismiss the issue without addressing any of the causes. It's easy, it feels satisfying: call them cowards ad reaffirm that Americans aren't cowards and everything is right with the world. I worry that such simplistic analysis dooms us to maintain our dogmatic and imperial world view which, while IN NO WAY excusing or causing 9/11, is part of the story that must be talked about and understood if we really want something like this to never happen again. Personally, I think most of us americans are a bit too intellectually apathetic to be willing to delve into the issue with any real depth. But this much seems certain, when a person dedicates thier life to a cause, even when it means giving thier actual life, that person is no coward. Misguided and decieved the terrorists certainly were, but not cowards, and calling them cowards does nothing to help our nation or our world.

September 11, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  10. Doug

How could one on a day such as today even bring political speech to the table? I am amazed that people who support "real change" do not recall that on September 11, 12,13,14.... WE WERE ALL AMERICANS. No Democrats No Republicans. JUST AMERICANS. I also recall all our elected officials in Washington from both sides of the aisle, joining together on the stairs of the Capital to sing Patriotic songs. WE ARE ALL AMERICANS. Today is not the day for politics today is the day to remember those who lost their lives.

May God Bless those who perished and God Bless AMERICA

September 11, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  11. Skywatch

It's too bad that after all this time, we still consider the other side as monsters and our own as innocent bystanders. We will never progress to any kind of decent understanding in this manner. Could it be that part of the problem is that we have been over there for so long meddling in their affairs?

September 11, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  12. Lynda C. from KCMO

Misery- You can not let those terrible terrorists continue to damage our lives. You must learn to be happy again. A birthday is a time to celebrate and be happy for the many years you have lived and the many more to come. Being sad and depressed only adds to the destruction that those terrorist have left behind.

Happy birthday.

September 11, 2008 at 7:26 pm |
  13. ryan

Many people have used 9-11 as an excuse to say that the US deserved the attack because of past US ill behavior.

What is sorely misguided about this belief is that those who did the bad things they US is accused of were not killed or injured on that day. Instead it was Muslims, Christian, Jewish, black, white, male, female and persons of many nationalities. Those people who did nothing to promote or otherwise condon the actions that the USG has done, died for the governments sins. How is that fair?

And if one were to open a history book, one would find that many of the same people who damn the US, come from nations or believe in ideologies, that have done a great deal of harm to fellow humans. Do they, than, "deserve" a catastrophic attack?

September 11, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  14. JohnR

I vehemently disagree with what the Hijackers believe, and for that matter, religion in general. But one thing the Hijackers were not, is cowards. That takes a lot of courage – for lack of another word.
    As a matter of fact, I think Bill Maher got fired from ABC for stating the same inconvenient opinion.

September 11, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  15. Jeff

Killing innocent civilians is wrong, misguided and evil. But how is it cowardice? What were the terrorists not doing because they were afraid? I abhor terrorism, but this is typical "George Bush" type speech that makes no sense whatsoever. Please THINK before you speak – it's not a crime.

September 11, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  16. Jack

We can't forget that that it was we (and our European allies) who cultivated the seeds of the 3rd world after WW1. Terrorists and hijackers didn't just "sprout" up from the sands of the Middle East. For centuries, all religions and societies have taken turns screwing each other over (yes ... Christians can be just as barmy as Muslims). We had been doing it for so long, that we became complacent and ignorant to the problems the rest of the world was experiencing.

To us, what happened in 9-11 cannot be rationalized, but to a people who have been broken for most of the 20th century, it's a desperate and hate-filled last resort. It's far from cowardice, but it's not bravery either. In our sheltered existence, we'll never have to be in a position to understand what is going through their minds ... hopefully, we never will.

September 11, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  17. Lane

Heather has it right. Any human being that can do what these cowards do, regardless of what they're religious beliefs may be, are nothing more than rabid sick animals. They should be treated as such. I loathe them for what they are. They are a cancer, and should be killed like the enemy they are. Too bad they won't stand like men, but after all, that's what a coward does.

September 11, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  18. Rose Ann

I'll never forget this terrible day. I work in Long Island City and the towers were in view. That day when news spread through the office that a plane hit one of the towers, many of us went outside to see for ourselves if it was a hoax. My eyes were fixed on the first tower; a gaping hole in her side with thick black smoke pooring out and up.
    I was sick becuase I knew there were people there...or were...(sigh).

After a few minutes some of us went back to the office to crowd around a TV management set up. That's when we watched as a second plane hit. Gasps, then silence filled the room, then panick.
    Who wanted to leave, who was frozen, who was screaming, who was crying....horror in everyones eyes.
    We understood that the US was under attack. There was no doubt

Many of us tried our cell phones, some getting through other not. It was caos.

I went back outside again with some friends. We stayed close to one another trying to keep each other as calm as possible. We could hear sirens everywhere. Emergency vehicles were traveling to and from every direction. We turned our attention to the towers again only to witness the collapse of the last tower. And then there were none........surreal. Everything happened so fast.

As we walked back into the building holding each other up this time, we heard of the attack on the pentagon and the flight that went down in PA and on & on& on.

I don't remember much detail after that. I think I was numb.

My message to those who wish to destroy us is beware and know this. We have grown stronger by your evil deeds not weaker or more afraid. We will fiercely defend what we love most; God, home & family.

September 11, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  19. Wisdom

Brenda Harris:
    "The leaders over the past years have been sending the wrong messages to others around the world. Stop spreading the hate."

The Iran hostage crisis, multiple hijackings in the 80s, Marine barracks in Lebenon, the first world trade center attack, Kobar tower, Kenya embassy, USS Cole and 9-11 happened prior to us "spreading the hate"....

That's what some people don't get... it's not what we do... it who we are.

September 11, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  20. deko and posh

What a sad day that was seven years ago. I can't believe it has been seven years. Thank you for devoting today to the victims and hero's.

deko and posh

September 11, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  21. deborah, OH

Thank you for the excellent post, Gary.
    The cowardice of these individuals haunts me to this day–when you see them with their faces covered & their guns pointed at some innocent person, maybe about to die... it still makes me very sick.
    Thank you for the remembrance.

September 11, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  22. David, Gaston sc

God Bless the Families of the victims of 9-11-01. My prayers are with you

September 11, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  23. Steven Triller

In 1980, Larry Silverstein won a bid to lease and build WTC 7. In a belated development concerning the attacks of 9/11, Silverstein stated in a PBS documentary, "America Rebuilds: A Year at Ground Zero", that he and the FDNY decided jointly to demolish WTC 7 late in the afternoon of Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001.

In the documentary, Silverstein makes the following statement and uses the term 'pull', which is a term used in controlled demolition that describes the moment that the explosives are detonated and the building's collapse begins:

"...I remember getting a call from the fire department commander telling me they were not sure they were going to be able to contain the fire...and I said, 'Well, you know, we've had such terrible loss of life...maybe the smartest thing to do is, is 'pull' it...and they made that
    decision to 'pull'...uh, and we watched the building collapse."

So why the official story of WTC7 collapsing due to fire when the leaseholder himself admitted it was a controlled demolition?

September 11, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  24. Bryan

Brenda, Can we keep plugs for canidates out of this please?

As for 9/11, I was in bootcamp that morning. They turned on the radio so we could listen to the news. It didn't seem real. Someone mentioned how the terrorists are like a cancer. I agree. They fester and kill, and while you can kill them off, it's likely they'll keep coming back.

September 11, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  25. ellya

reading reports such as this one reminds us all just how much was lost that day, and how much some are still losing. how hard it must have been for some parents to lose a spouse–and how impossible it must be to then, years later, try to explain it to children who were to young (or not born) in 2001...

every year, i look at the list of names of people who lost their lives, and i do a bit of research. this year, i learned about ace bailey and mark bavis, two scouts for the la kings hockey team who were killed on one of the planes. i'm overcome that these two men are no longer here, and i'm sorry i'm just learning their names seven years on, and that there are so many more i may never know of...

we must remember those lost and those living. maybe, in the course of history's many disasters, 9/11 really will be the horrific moment that stays true to the claims: never again.

September 11, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  26. Ron Thompson

Well put.

September 11, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  27. David Ousley

Well said! It still makes my blood boil to think about that bin Laden killed 3000+ of our countrymen. I still cannot wait until vengence is served.

September 11, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  28. Bubba Luv

No one knows exactly who the 'mastermind' was behind 9/11. I think Osama Bin Laden is just a puppet, someone the Bush-Cheney war machine has used the past seven years as a ploy to justify their invasion of Iraq (done so on the bogus assumption of WMDs.) Maybe our own government is our own worst enemy. Sadly, we'll never know, just like we'll never know who killed JFK.

September 11, 2008 at 6:43 pm |
  29. Marcus Portland Oregon

Maybe the republicans will finally stop using this to scare Americans into thinking we are not safe!

September 11, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  30. Jack Farrell

Those men and women who saw first hand the attack at Pearl Harbor never thought they would see anything like it again, then 9/11 happened. We must never forget that there are fanatic religious groups who hate us so much they will take their own lives while killing as many Americans as possible. These groups are also teaching their young children the same hate, and until we can stop them we will be subjected to terrorist attacks. They have a different belief than we do. We must understand these people think we are a weak nation because we aren’t going in and killing their people, we show too much emotion, we must show them our strength. Our liberals want to live and let live. These people feed on this, that is our weakness. Prayers to those whose lives have been changed forever by these attacks.

September 11, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  31. susan

I wonder if the shock, the horror and the pain will ever lessen? Certainly not for those who lost loved ones, but for the rest of us, who didn't know anyone, yet still, felt in our hearts like we lost a member of our own family? As I watched CNN's coverage of the tributes today, tears still streaming down my face, as they did that very day, my heart just ached for those who have to re-live the painful memories, and I want them to know, that they'll never be alone, that the hearts of every American is with them. God Bless all of them, and thank you to CNN for covering the stirring tributes today, without showing coverage of the actual events, causing the families yet more pain and sorrow.

September 11, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  32. Frank

So, what was Bin Laden's ultimate goal from implementing this cowardly act? Did he really think that the USA would immediately adopt Muslim Sharia Law as the nation's religion and turn its back on Israel? If so, then he's more insane than we could ever imagine. I have no anger toward the millions of peaceful Muslims around the world, but Al Qaeda really placed an undeserved black mark on everything that is Islam.

September 11, 2008 at 6:38 pm |
  33. bob

I still refuse to believe that all the events that conspired on 9/11 was all accurately presented to us by the media and the US government. Yes the volunteers and firefighters and anyone else who helped trying to rescue survivors at the WTC towers are heroes in my eyes, but everything else regarding the incident, particularly the Pentagon and the governments adamant refusal to release the videos obtained from the local gas station and hotel security cameras really puts doubt in my mind this was totally fabricated by Osama Bin Ladin and co. All you fools who take everything at face value really need to start reading more instead of just taking what media and the government tells you at face value.

September 11, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  34. Uma, Liverpool, UK

I grew up 20 minutes' walk from the WTC. As a young teen, I used to go down to the construction site, because it was so cool. As an older teen, I spent as much as three nights a week on the roof of the South Tower, watching the magical sunsets...

You can take the woman out of New York, but you can't take the New Yorker out of the woman.

I lived in Denver, CO, on 11 Sept, 2001. I watched events unfold, with my heart in my mouth. The impacts of those 'planes were almost PHYSICALLY painful. Shots of fireballs blowing down streets full of shops and cafés I recognised...

My first thought, through the horror, was, 'ohhh...my...god. It's a miracle nobody thought of that before now'. (Maybe that's just how I think, maybe it's the way a New Yorker who grew up during the Cold War, with a bull's-eye painted on our City, would think.) I don't mean I wasn't horrified. It was just so obvious, once it had happened...

My next thought, adding to the horror, was, 'now there will be wars, and more Islamophobia'. It was not a happy thought.

@ Heather

You're an ideal example of the hatred and Islamophobia which I so feared, that terrible day. Your mind is as black-and-white as any terrorist's. There will be no peace, anywhere, so long as people think as you do. Terrorists think as you do: 'Americans are a cancer; all we can do is kill them. They don't value our lives. The only focus they have is to destroy and eliminate real human beings, for their own warped purposes'.

The horrors of that day were mitigated by the beauty of my City: the FDNY, NYPD, MTA, and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Coast Guard, National Guard, Coroner's Office, Office of Disaster Management, and all the people who came in from neighbouring States, worked together. There were no divisions. Race, religion, class, national background, gender, language of origin, sexual orientation... all the jive that is used to tear people apart vanished in NYC, in our shared grief and common struggle. Hey, New Yorkers even welcomed volunteers from New Jersey!! 😛

But seriously, the heroism of the Rescue Services Workers is so inspiring! Their courage and determination was beautiful and tragic, brave, noble, and heartbreaking. A young member of the FDNY, released from St Vincent's Hospital - my local hospital - with his arm in a sling, headed back Downtown, to the WTC, was stopped by a reporter. When she asked him why he was going back down, despite his injury, he looked at her as though she'd asked the dumbest question in the world. 'Because I'm a NEW YORKER', he said, and kept going.

That about summed it up.

Since 12 Sept, 2001, I have signed my emails:

Another New Yorker for Peace.

Sala'am, Shalom, Shanti.

September 11, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  35. Gene Brady

The cowards were in the White House

September 11, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  36. Mike

There was nothing "cowardly" about flying planes into buildings. It probably took a lot of nerve. Trying to belittle the hijackers may make us feel good momentarily, but it does nothing to help us understand and defeat them. We have to have the courage to look at these people for what they really are, not some cheap caricature, if we really want to win.

September 11, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  37. Dark Moon

Great article........ I agree with everything. I just wish politics would be left out of this. It's heartbreaking to hear how people are so sad about this (nullifying the sadness) and yet they still bring politics into this. I hate every bad things that happen, I furthermore hate it when politics are brought into the influx because nothing has worked so well and everyone simply blames each other and thinks they are "better" instead of working together towards one goal for the good of everyone along with the understanding that we are all different and have different viewpoints and opinions.

September 11, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  38. Ant

For seven years, I have marveled at the utter cowardice of the 9/11 hijackers.

What about the utter cowardice of our Government ignoring the threats way before 9/11. How about the utter cowardice of invading a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. Please remember it was Al Queada and they were no where near Iraq. FACT FACT FACT.

Yes this is a day to mourn the loss of Americans....but PLEASE QUESTION WHY THE LOSS!!!

September 11, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  39. rustycho

I remember that day at 9am I saw the whole thing on tv..the planes crashing into the towers..and being asian, after moments of shock and disbelief, I prayed to god and hoped that the terrorist weren't asians!!

September 11, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  40. Greg

I wouldn't say that the terrorists who committed these atrocities were cowardly, but rather had nerves of steel like true madmen. Programmed robots might be a better analogy, since they must have been devoid of even a shred of human decency to be able to do what they did in the way that they did it. There were young children on those planes. I agree that Bin Laden and other Al Quida leaders are no different than cowardly rodents or cockroaches who must live in the shadows to avoid detection. They know what is coming if they are revealed by civilized higher life forms, whether they be muslim, christian, or jewish. Even if they are never greeted by the warm blast of a 2000 pound bomb in this life, they will get what they truly deserve in an afterlife that will not go the way they are expecting.

September 11, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  41. Jacob

9/11 was a HORRIBLE day in American history, but I'd hardly call them cowards. It takes a lot of nerve to die for something you believe in.
    Terrible people? Yes. But not cowards.

Now the real heroes were the firefighters. They risked their lives to save others. There is nothing more heroic than that.

September 11, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  42. John Johnson

I agree with your assessment of the terrorists. There was nothing heroic about what they did. They had been brain-washed by a cult of death into believing that their hideous act was blessed by God and that they would be rewarded with all those virgins in Paradise. Surely, if there is a hell, they are all burning in it for eternity. To look at their fellow passengers on that fateful day and only see corrupt infidels rather than mothers and fathers and sons and daughters requires a uniquely reptilian quality of thinking. A true hero is one who sacrifices him or herself to preserve another's life, expecting no reward in return. None of the terrorists qualify. In a sense, what they did was the ultimate act of selfishness.

September 11, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  43. Al-Kareemya

But since villagers in obscure, no account countries have no hopes or dreams–and since they are probably supportive of the terrorists in their own way–it's ok to kill as many or more of them while bringing the perpetrators to "justice?" What is it called? "Collateral damage"?

The only heroes, in my book, are those who have gone over to Afghanistan and Iraq peacefully to help the people in those poor, beleaguered countries. THAT takes guts! Anyone can wield a weapon of war. But to love your enemies–that's revolutionary.

Americans and other "forces" should leave their guns at home if they want to help.

September 11, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  44. Tom Miller

In the area of courage, there were also a handful of rescue dogs out there helping as best they could. That rescue effort, for everyone involved, must have been hell. I have read about how people collected around the official people and provided water, massages, hugs, anything to help.

September 11, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  45. Heather

People who think that the monsters who did this are heroes are the same people living in countries where they have no democracy or freedom. Their religion is their culture and the rule of law. They only know of one point of view. They are like cancer. The only focus they have collectively is to destroy and eliminate real human beings for their own warped purposes. I guess to be nice you could call it mental illness. I don't know. I remember in the early 80's planes being hijacked and I remember these terrorists using a plane of people to get what they wanted and just being totally insane. It's been going on for a long time. I think Bin Laden is no question a coward. He uses people who willingly want to die for nothing. He is a monster and a coward. Those terrorists allowed themselves to be used to take lives. There is no rationalization for what they did. All we can do is kill them like cancer. They don't value our lives and they don't value their own.

September 11, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  46. misery

9/11 is my birthday and I will always remember coming home that day and watching the news with disbelief...... my heart goes to all those families who have lost someone on that day adn the wars ater which were caused by the attack.

September 11, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  47. Randy Browne

My attention used to be solely on the terrible destruction and pain that was inflicted on so many. Now I can't get over the fact that a hand full of cowards were able to pull off a plan with such precision yet so simple yet so POWERFUL!

September 11, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  48. Brenda Harris

I hate times like this. It reminds me of all the terrible times I have witnessed in my lifetime. Dogs being sicked on people, water hosed, hung, tarred and feathered Being beat down for sitting a a lunch counter. President being assassinated, Civil rights hero being shot down. Federal building blown apart. Kids being shot down at school.
    Planes being flown into the World Trade Center. The leaders over the past years have been sending the wrong messages to others around the world. Stop spreading the hate. You know what goes around comes around. People follow by Example. We must have a change of guard. We must VOTE OBAMA for real change.

September 11, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  49. Wisdom

That was a bad day...
    I remember watching and thinking this couldn't be real...
    I'm amazed at how many people seem to have forgotten...

September 11, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  50. Emma Morrow

Nice comments. This post shows that reporters CAN produce content that's non-political, even during campaign season.

September 11, 2008 at 4:42 pm |