September 10th, 2008

Too perfect to be dismissed & The Sarah Palin Show

Editor's Note: This is a joint mother/daughter blog: Faye Wattleton is an AC360° contributor and President of the Center for the Advancement of Women; Felicia Gordon is Faye's daughter.

Too perfect to be dismissed
Faye Wattleton |
Bio
President, Center for the Advancement of Women

The 30-year campaign by occupants in the White House, a re-structured Federal judiciary and Congressional hostility has eroded women’s fundamental Constitutional protections, most notably Roe v. Wade. After the 1976 presidential campaign, the take-over of the Republican Party by a confluence of unlikely partners, known as the religious right, led to the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980 and delivery of two future presidencies. Recently, analysts have pronounced this constituency to be in a state of disarray, if not all but dead; it seems that all it needed was a jump-start in a candidate who stirred the passions for their “100-year war” against affirmative action, equal pay for equal work, reproductive rights and gay rights, and for abstinence-only sexuality education.

Last year, the 5-4 Court, in Gonzalez v. Carhart, disregarded a woman’s health in allowing prohibition of a type of abortion procedure in the second trimester, which may be the best option to preserving a woman’s future fertility. In another decision, the Court ruled that Lilly Ledbetter, the only female supervisor at a Goodyear Tire & Rubber plant, could not seek justice, under Title VII, for 19 years of discrimination. In Long Island Home Care v. Coke, home care workers, 90 percent of whom are women, were declared unworthy of minimum wages and overtime compensation.

Shrewdly, John McCain has offered a gift too perfect to be dismissed: a poster child for the issues that religious conservatives hold dear. The announcement of Gov. Sarah Palin’s selection as the Republican vice presidential nominee, a long-term member of the Assembly of God Church, swept Sen. Barack Obama from the headlines, less than 24 hours after the fireworks faded into the Rocky Mountain skies. Some concluded that it was a bold grab for disaffected supporters of Sen. Hillary Clinton. Down in Colorado Springs. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, said it best, “… Sarah Palin is God’s answer.” History tells us it’s hard to counter the power of the revisionist religious pulpit, which will be politically active from now until Election Day, in support of the McCain-Palin ticket. There will be some women who don’t care to be called feminist, who will cross-over.

A larger prize was at stake; one that has been reliably successful in election after election.

The Sarah Palin Show
Felicia Gordon

Since the election’s focus has taken an unexpected turn to children, I thought it a perfect opportunity to invade my mom’s blog and offer my own two cents.

Soon after Gov. Sarah Palin came on the scene, I knew that her nomination was not about capturing disenchanted “Hillary” supporters. I knew it because, almost as quickly as I knew her name, my favorite celebrity gossip blogs had begun to post pictures and dirt that rivaled any popular celebrity in entertainment value. I have no doubt that the McCain campaign knows what Britney Spears and TV networks have known for a long time: Americans relish the comfort afforded by viewing the train wreckage of those whom we are supposed to idolize – the more beautiful, the more powerful, the better. When Sen. John McCain commented that his campaign had thoroughly vetted the former beauty queen’s past and that he was “grateful” for the results, he meant just that.

You don’t know who Heidi Montag is? Sen. McCain does. When told of reality TV’s reigning ice queen’s endorsement, he responded, “I’m honored to have Heidi’s support, and I want to assure her that I never miss an episode of ‘The Hills,’ especially since the new season started.”

Call it “low brow,” call it cynical, call it what you want: Americans are just as fascinated by the Sarah Palin show as they have been by the Britney Spears show for years now. As Lynn Spears gets ready to release her book, “Through the Storm: A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World,” in which she purportedly discusses her daughter’s sexual promiscuity at 14, that daughter drew millions of viewers to the same music awards show on which she humiliated herself just one year prior. As rumors of an alleged Palin extramarital affair swirled on the Internet, her acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention attracted over 40 million viewers, eight million more than that of democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama. Just as Americans digested the Enquirer’s latest report that Jamie Lynn Spears’ baby’s father never plans to marry her, they scoured the internet for Gov. Palin’s future son-in-law’s Myspace page declaration that he’s “a f—kin’ redneck” and the YouTube video of a young black man threatening legal action if the Palin family does no allow him to raise Bristol Palin’s baby whom he claims to have fathered.

Whether fascination with the first reality show starring a vice presidential candidate will translate into votes for the Republican Party is still up for debate. Jamie Lynn Spears and Bristol Palin may make us feel temporarily entertained and comforted with respect to our own families’ issues, but the reality is that having a child as an unwed teenager is hardly ideal. Statistics show that teen mothers are more likely to deliver prematurely and to have low birth weight babies; more than 75 percent of unwed teenage mothers are on welfare within five years of the birth of their first child; only about one teenage mother in four ever completes high school; the sons of teenage mothers are 13 percent more likely to end up in prison; and the daughters of teen mothers are 22 percent more likely to become teen mothers themselves.

While I think the Republican Party’s vice presidential nomination is brilliant in many respects, I still believe that we should aim for more than the comfort engendered by the shortcomings of those in the spotlight. We should be awed and inspired by our country’s leaders. We should want the president and the vice president of the United States to be better than us because we should want better for ourselves. We should hope that the only reality we want to see them produce is a better version than our own.

1. Charles

The generally accepted news media provides a conduit for information between our political leader and the American public. Thanks Mr. Matthews for doing your JOB this evening. Thanks for not being scare that you will not get the next interview or the next promotion, or the next big bonus because they (Democrats and Republicans) are afraid of being asked the touch questions. The American public deserves more than Lipstick!

Logic, reasoning, and family values I hope will win over “exuberant enthusiasm” for either candidate. The mental state of America’s Exuberant Enthusiasm that says I can make a mint from selling my house or letting our leaders take us into an unjustified war has lead us to a “blind mentality” of what the process should be for hiring the President.

Every American deserves to seek the American dream given to us by the American promise. Attaining the nomination for VP is very admirable and should be congratulated. But when did “country first” mute “family first values.”

When did “country first” values trump family values or become something that Americans should aspire toward. What does it say about your judgment, your life’s priorities, or your family values that are driven by ambition or your job?

I love this country, love my job, love my family but I know who’s on first.

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  2. Beth/ Waco, Texas

If and until Gov. Palin deigns to talk to the media/CNN without a Rove speech to read, I don't know why her name is even coming up every day. Why can't the media not acknowledge her until she talks to them – not a staged event as she will have tomorrow night with Charles Gibson. Did ABC have to give her a list of the questions so that she could bone up on her answers?

September 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  3. josh joshua

I am a 33 year old black man married to a white woman.We are expecting our first child together in Nov.I have never had a problem with race or racism within myself.But after viewing all the bias coverage of the election by the media.I find myself becoming more hateful and stressed out buy the minute,and there are many people who fill just like me.This is a dangerous cocktail that the media is brewing.The division in america's people is not what we need at this time or any.At what point does the media take responsibility and do there jobs fair.It's becoming sick to watch.

September 10, 2008 at 9:54 pm |
  4. jh, las vegas

I'm with HawaiiBO...ISSUES...ISSUES...ISSUES that's what America needs to hear about, that's what we are voting on...ISSUES PLEASE ISSUES ONLY

September 10, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  5. Shane, Montreal

I'm a man and I am curiously attracted to sarah Palin and her conduct so far.. I find her beautiful and no wonder I saw her on the cover of a magazine. I mean this women can easily stare down the leaders of countries like Iran and Russia and talk about current matters. I see great potential in her as VP and I would like to see both Mccain and Palin in the white house IF ONLY I HAD THE POWER TO VOTE! As a Canadian, I also love the fact that she's a hockey mom, I respect those who love the game of hockey. And those republicans rock baby, I would sit down in a bar with them any day and twice on sunday and drink beer. All those comments against Palin and Mccain so far some of them might be legit and some not, but for those facts about Palin, it's important for you to compare it to Obama. As an example, lets say Palin accepted earmarks from congress, If you look at Obama, it's always going to be ten times that amount. If Palin for example was for the "bridge to nowhere" before she was against it? Then look at how many times Obama or Biden was "for" an issue before the were against it? You'll find out that they flip flopped ten times more than she did. The bottom line is, this american election is going to be won on who is more cool headed and experienced and takes action and is partisan and wants to fix the "DO NOTHING CONGRESS" vs hot headed, inexperienced, do nothing and bi-partisan and dosnt want to fix congress. I think the choice is clear .... elect Palin and Mccain folks even if you don't agree on a few of their positions.

September 10, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  6. Guy Thornsberry

Dear Sarah Palin, Thank you, you have done more for the DEMOCRATS in one week then we could have done in your part of the field in decades. You FORCED the Immoral Majority to back Pregnant Teens, Special Needs Kids , Women in general (and not barefoot and pregnant), and UNION Families.

So thank you, Sarah you have dragged the Republicans kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Once you start supporting womens Rights and pro-choice you will be perfect.

Sincerely, A Democrat who had always wished we could sneak a double-agent into the Republican party and cause them to embrace Unions, Teens in dire straights, Women and Special needs kids... now if you can flip-flop like your leading man and support womens rights and pro-choice your party will no longer exist and we can get some work done.

September 10, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  7. New World Order

If Palin is so tough, and referred to as "teflon-like", then why has the Republican staff curtained her off from conducting any interviews? That only shows that she is not prepared for Vice Presidential questioning, let alone being one heart beat away from becoming President for a man who is 72 years old and has Cancer.

September 10, 2008 at 9:30 pm |
  8. Jody

I think Palin would have been on the Republican ticket even if Hillary had been on the Democratic ticket. My reason: the Republicans would have loved a "cat fight"… a great distraction.

You can put lipstick on McCain but you will still have George Bush!

September 10, 2008 at 9:29 pm |
  9. Ingrid

Leave Palins daughter alone, however it is agreat idea to open discussions on teenage pregnancy. It s times too seriously discuss all the issues related with teen pregnancy such as unprotected sex, sexually transmitted diseases, does abstinence really prevent teenager from having sex, financial impact of teen pregnancy on the economy and taxpayers.
    I do think It is OK for Sarah Palin to wear pants. I find her Skirt Suits Louis Lane portrait of traditional women with 5 children ( we need more children the word is not populated enough) sooo fake.

September 10, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  10. Judy

When is Obama going to allow Hillary to show her indignation with voters who favored her switching to McCain, whose policies haven't changed despite his selection of Palin for his VP?

September 10, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  11. julie, lee's summit, MO

I can not get over how "over the top" people are about Palin. WHY? What do they really even know about her? My Republican friends at work were 100%, all for her the minute McCAin announced her. That just shows that they have no clue what is going on. They heard WOMAN and they were sold.
    They think she is is totally ready to take over for McCain if heaven forbid something should happen to him. It's clear that the Republicans don't even think she is ready to take questions from the media. WHAT ???? They won't allow her to take questions while out on the campaign? How can she be ready for VP if she can't do anything but repeat the same 4 -old & over used- lines from the speech at the Convention? GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!

September 10, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  12. carol

I am disgusted by the whole Palin/Mccain campaign..I guess Americans are easily swayed because I cannot understand how someone we barely knew a month ago is "the best person to lead this country and reform this country incase Mccain dies" when we have had experienced women more qualified than Palin that Mccain could have picked.. I guess since she has nothing else to offer but her looks, which Mccain has had a history of looking at, tells alot about his lack of education and character. Ps: Mrs Mccain watch out! what goes around comes around..Palin has nothing to offer this country.. Tell me.. can you be pro-gun (100 more yrs in Iraq?) and anti-abortion at the same time..(Palin illegitimate grandchild?) and call that "Morals and Ethics reform?".. I guess Americans just want another continuation of a dumb president in the white house. We need to think straight and not let the Mccain/Palin disgrace us any further in the future.. we have a reputation to fix

September 10, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  13. Jason Thomas

Why is there such a buzz over Palin accepting earmarks as mayor of Wasilla, AK? Isn't that one of the mayor's duties – to get as much state or federal funding for her town as possible? Her focus then was to serve and protect the citizens of Wasilla, and obtaining earmarks for the town's benefit was part of that focus. Later, as governor, she had a responsibility to the whole state, and that's when she cut earmarks and wasteful spending.

A common sense approach should dismiss this slanted story, which CNN is attempting to create.

September 10, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  14. mary

I too am totally disgusted with all the attention being paid to Palin. McCain is out of touch with American women if he thinks anyone that supported Hilary Clinton would vote for Palin just because she's a woman. She cannot hold a candle to Hilary. The media has given Palin her 15 minutes of fame, now they need to focus on Barack Obama again as he is the only candidate that talks about the real issues that are a concern to Americans. The last thing we need is another 4 years of the same old thing...ie Bush/McCain!!

September 10, 2008 at 9:17 pm |
  15. Annie Kate

Sarah Palin has the right to her beliefs just as we all do in this country. I'm just afraid that if she wins the Vice Presidency she will impose her beliefs on the rest of us even with all the checks and balances we have in our governmental system. I for one would prefer greatly to keep the liberties and rights women have earned over the years and add to them. I don't get the sense that Palin is the best choice to accomplish this. The best choice was on the Democratic side and everyone was sure in a hurry to get her out of the race. Hillary has always looked good to me for a leader – now she looks even better. This election that was so encouraging when it began has become so discouraging now – it almost doesn't matter who wins; Americans are going to get the short end of the stick with either party. Think over your selection of a President carefully – where do you want to be at the end of the next 4 years – don't vote for someone just because she can deliver sarcasm with the ease of Don Rickles and looks prettier. Vote for the candidate who is at least heading in the direction you want to go.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 10, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  16. HawaiiBo

ISSUES – ISSUES – ISSUES
    Forget about the Pig and the Lipstick
    Let's get the ISSUES out there and discuss.

September 10, 2008 at 9:09 pm |
  17. Jan from Wood Dale, IL

You know what I find refreshing about Sarah Palin...for the first time we have a person who doesn't have a law degree, or military background, or has been tainted by the Washington-style politics. But what we have is a middle class, hard working mother, who made the time to get involved in local politics from the PTA, to the City Council, to a two term Mayor, to the Governor of a state. Along the way, she had a lot of obstacles, but had to prove herself against a well-trenched male dominated bureacracy. We have a woman who has strong religious beliefs, but has not allowed her personal beliefs to change the laws in the state she governs. Has she made some mistakes along the way? I'm sure she has, but who hasn't made some mistakes in their career.

When did the rules change regarding who can become a VP? So far, I have seen more reasons to admire Sarah Palin than to reject her.

September 10, 2008 at 8:58 pm |
  18. hicktick

I give it about 2 weeks before the truth about her comes out and it will be over for McBush, go on newsweek and read abouut troopergate its the truth . 100k for an investigation aint no joke, shes in trouble

September 10, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  19. Eugenia-San Francisco, Ca

Finally someone said it!

It is exactly like Brittany Spears or Paris Hilton grabbing headlines!

September 10, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  20. Richard

Anderson: I am a 45 year old Civil Engineer and have really enjoyed your program over the past few years. Now, how you cover Sarah Palin you seem surprised that she is a politician – some may call that sexist – I am losing respect for you. Your dislike for McCain / Palin is obvious.

Why not do some flashbacks of Joe Biden to be balanced- I'm sure that will be just as confusing.

Regarding the bridge to nowhere campaign – there is a broughter issue that was covered tonight on Lou Dobbs – from the time of the campaign until she was governor.

September 10, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  21. Eric Carmona

I can't believe that Sharah Paiin is attacking, and accusing Obama on issues that she is worst off in, and why is the Mcain campain making every things democrats point out about her and there policy sexest, there just looking for sympathy from undicided voters, you don't hear Obama pull out the race card ever time they attack him, all those lies and alligations is going to byte them in the butt.

September 10, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  22. Mary

I am disgusted with the media coverage of Sarah Palin – including your title that she is "too perfect." Why is the media/CNN handling Sarah Palin with such caution? Why is the media/CNN not questioning her qualifications? Why is the media/CNN not questioning her lies regarding earmarking for the bridge to nowhere or her total lack of regard for the scientific realities or global warming? What about her total lack of regard for the environment? Since when is being on a mission from God qualify you for the White House? What about the separation of Church and 'State? The media and CNN questioned Obama's religious affiliations, but is ignoring that we now call a rapturist who bases her policy views on the end of time premise as somehow "too perfect." It's time that the media and CNN did their job in covering the facts about Sarah Palin. She is anything but perfect. Scarey is a better term to be used here.

September 10, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  23. Bianca

I don't get it America, you voted for the "Awww shucks" good old boy the last time. The man who said "I am the perfect example of what a C student can become". When will you all get it! Palin hasn't had an entire speech devoted to policy yet and already you love her. No more of the same old song and dance, McCain has had 26 years to make a difference and he hasn't given me a reason, other than that he fell in love with his country as a POW, as to why he should be our leader. You voted for these people already when you gave Bush and Cheney a second term. It didn't work we are in hock up to our eyeballs, our entire economy is teetering and you want to vote for a Hockey Mom who would set women back years.

September 10, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  24. G Scott Barrett - Anaheim, CA

CNN should set up a text alert in the event that Sarah Palin decides to take questions from the press.

September 10, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  25. Taylor

All the nay nay stuff is getting so far out of hand. Why are so many people acting in the way that they are?? Okay.. here it is the lipstick comment Obama made was meant to happen. His people do their research and they found where McCain made the comment several months back. So... the story goes Obama did this just to get McCain's people to get on it so that they could use his comment against him. I call that tricky. It sure wasn't something that just came up!! Come on Palin made the comment about the pit bull and lipstick because of the way ALL PARENTS act at sporting events their child plays at!! You cant say you dont. ALl parent get excited when their child is on the field or where ever else they play in school or out of school sports. I use to be a democrate, but they way this is going.. I am going to the other side. A man attacking a women. IS this the way Obama respects women? It appears that way and he has lost my vote along with about 15 of my other friends. Which I feel CNN should be considered Obama head quaters because it isnt a guessing game at who they back.

September 10, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  26. Lisa French Smith

I am so happy to read this blog. It is exactly how I have felt the last two days. Although this mother/daughter places things in context in a more gracious upholding way, I feel more the outrage of the Karl Rove politics. As in:
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    Wal-mart tabloid headings aside – or perhaps the masses would rather vote for Miss Congeniality, for Miss I can't wait for the next installment, it's as good as American Idol, or Survivor.If that's the case then everyone will be excited to know that the next installment includes Palin's son Trak choosing to enter the military rather than facing Jail Time for 2007 drug charges...or that the man Palin had an affair with is in the process of having his divorce records sealed as we speak. Go for it...have fun.
    BUT SERIOUSLY...when you've had your sugar fix...
    THE FED JUST TOOK OVER FANNIE AND FREDDY! The largest take over in history that will probably affect every middle class mortgage holder and their bank. Now we're talking MONEY ITEM. I want the SMARTEST President I can find to handle the legal restructuring of these giants. Let's see...McCain graduated 864th in a class of 869. That's about as dumb as you can get. And Palin spent 6 years going to 5 colleges for a 4 year degree in communications/journalism. She wanted to be on T.V. (She does a heck of a job reading a teleprompter and her timing is excellent!)And on the other side we Obama who went to Columbia, Harvard, and was head of the Harvard Law Review. It doesn't get smarter than that, and he didn't have a "Daddy donating to get him into the Ivy League". Joe Biden graduated from the University of Delaware and Law School at Syracuse University. No small feat either AND he is continually teaching Constitutional Law at Weidner Law School in Delaware. Now who would you want to tackle Fannie and Freddy? It's like Obama said, "They must think you're stupid!" No, McCain and Palin are stupid...for real.
    — lfrenchsmith, Northport, NY

September 10, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  27. Tammy, Berwick, LA

As a highly educated woman (PhD plus) who was a health educator on a major university campus while in her doctoral program and researcher of HIV and STD I find it sad that women are always threatened with the loss of the right to their body claim by the pro-choice mouthpieces. My right as a woman is to be sexually responsible and not to be able to murder my unborn child because he doesn't fit into my schedule for that nine months. I guess I was brought up differently. I was conceived by parents with one shot at a child. My parents were told my mother was high risk because of brittle juvenile diabetes. They chose to have me. She almost died. We almost died until the moment I was born. I don't know. I personally cannot see being selfish enough to take my child's life to save my own. As a person with a disability, I cannot see denying a child life because he or she isn't "perfect" in the eyes of society (Mengele tried for it through horrific experiements in the concentration camps with Hitler's approval, and Hitler had extermination programs for the disabled. Come to think of it, less than perfect-abortion of disabled children sure does reek of this). And call me crazy, but the circumstances of a child's conception do not mean for a moment that child is any less deserving of life. To break women down in all our wonderful gifts and talents to the right to kill our babies is what is truly demeaning. Sarah Palin taking office does nothing to lower my rights as a woman. Historically, women have safely aborted and used birth control for centuries if they chose to do so whether the government intervened or not. What does lower my rights and dignity as a woman is someone saying I am nothing because I can no longer murder my unborn child. Well, personally, I'll be grateful when that loss is granted. Like I said, women and their partners have the right to responsible sexuality. They have the right to take responsibility for that child if they become pregnant or to give it up to someone who will. But murder should never be a right. How women can even say killing an unborn child is different than killing a person in cold blood is beyond me? This summer my friend lost his unborn child to abortion. He wanted the baby. His girlfriend didn't. He watched his five-month old in utero baby girl die and legally could do nothing to save her even though he wanted her with all his heart. We've come such a long way from barbarianism and the Nazi death camps haven't we? So proud to be a woman with the right to murder innocents. I feel so good about myself. And you all should, too, because hey, God forbid the religious right actually try to save human life in all its forms and make us less than we already are.

September 10, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  28. Montre'll A Hawkins

Any person that would compare Palin to Clinton is like comparing Joel Olsteen to John Edwards the only thing that they have in common is race and gender. And what happen on judging people on the content of there character. They keep saying that Hilary supporters and going for Palin talking about voting against your interest. everything that Clinton stood for and fought for Palin is against a woman right to choose. There are more people in the city of New York than the whole state of Alaska.

September 10, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  29. Disillusioned

I can't believe that Americans would even consider putting a candidate in office with a very old man that has to deliver canned speeches, won't answer questions, has never talked to the leader of another nation, can't be trusted to campaign alone and attacks others with lies. If anyone attacks her, even on issues, McCain yells sexism.
    I am a 63 year old lady, and I think that this campaign is unbelieveable.

September 10, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  30. carla

everyone talks about palin being a super woman...she has five kids and she ran a state...they fell to mention that her oldest daughter is pregnant maybe palin did not give enough attention to her....i'm just saying ...maybe she has cracks in her story and everyone thinks she is so pretty ...why not make her the most powerful person in america if mccain dies....kinda makes people all warm and fuzzy inside...and mccain he says nothing about what he would do to make the country better....he just points to palin and all is weel in the world...what is wrong with country....did i read something about abortion and the republicans...yeah they talk a good game about abortion but have you noticed not one republican does anything to change roe v wade....you know why cause they would lose there next election.......politics it is....all i ask is that the media chase palin like they chased obamas preacher ...for negative things about obama even if he did not say it was obamas fault.....but palin daughter is pregnant at 17 and i think palin dropped the ball.....as did bush with out free country.........

September 10, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  31. Patrick

Also, when will voters of America stop viewing the presidency as a high school popularity contest and demand all candidates focus on the issues? Global warming, women's rights, civil liberties, the Iraq war but what about Russia and China, rising costs of healthcare, and most importantly the economy? Obama/Biden & McCain/Palin need to focus on the issues that are currently facing America and how can a bi-partisan government help straighten this mess out.

September 10, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  32. Curious

Values... character... these are things we need to know about our leaders. We've heard of Sarah's values. But what of her character? Among the litany of lurid things we've heard, now we learn that she was married in a civil ceremony on August 29, 1988 and eight months later had her first child. Like mother, like daughter?

September 10, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  33. Patrick

Palin is a very interesting individual that most voters know little about and are supporting her. I am an Independent but her views on abortion, global warming and views on stem cell research are prehistoric and backwards thinking. How can women vote for a woman who leads and thinks as a slavemaster did during slavery? Her views are radical and anytime you can disagree with a woman getting an abortion due to rape or incest, your judgement is questionable. Why is the the McCain campaign not allowing her to speak directly to the media? Also, is it true that Palin has made racist comments regarding Obama and the natives of Alaska?

September 10, 2008 at 7:26 pm |
  34. Guy From LA

I am not surprised that McCain did what he did. His ambition is so great to be the president that he can even sell his mother to the highest bidder – if it comes to that. Shame on us that we are giving a leeway for him to accomodate his ambition.

September 10, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  35. s smith

Is this the most important issue we have to discuss for our country today-- ?? (the pig/lipstick/he said/ she said thing)?

September 10, 2008 at 7:22 pm |
  36. cj

I know that there is a saying "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups" but, really, are there that many stupid people out there that would actually vote McCain/Palin?

It boggles my mind to think that anyone would support this ticket. This is surreal – the thought of McCain dying and this unqualified woman being the leader of the free world is terrifying.

Another old saying: Where is the outrage? Evangelicals that believe we are in the 'end of days' are going to decide this? I DON'T think we are in the end of days, and I do not wish to hasten that end by having Palin in office.

Does anyone think she could match wits with Putin, or any of the other world leaders that hate us? Will she show off her moose shooting skills to keep N. Korea in line? She is against Jews so I suppose Iran threatening to wipe Israel off the map is fine with her – if she could find Israel on a map.

This frightening possibility is right in front of us and the news is talking about lipstick?

This isn't a game of Risk – this is real life risk.

September 10, 2008 at 7:22 pm |
  37. rebeka

Sarah Palin does inspire me, and I am in fact in awe of her as you so eloquently phrase it, I think most middle class women would be inspired by this mom of five who takes on her state and local politics to make the world a better place for her children. What better motivation is there than to make our country better for the next generation? We all could use a bit of spiritual inspiration, what else have we got? Politicians who do not have any belief in a higher power are the ones that scare me. Instead of finding so much fault, why do folks not look at her accomplishments, her ability and desire to be a public servant. It is obvious to me that this young woman intimidates many who seem to have agendas other than serving.

September 10, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  38. Bev Hubbs

About the "lipstick on a pig" issue. I see it like this;
    The "Pig" is the Bush administration policies, messy, fat, and ugly and a lot of pork.... getting fatter every day feeding from the trough of big corporations, and led there by Bushs' good ole' boys.
    Now the republicans are talking about change... well, you can't have change and still keep the pig, so they are applying lipstick on the pig to try to "pretty it up" with lies, cons and schemes. We need to get rid of the pig.

September 10, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  39. kevin k

why is it we expect that politcians are better then the average person. and isnt going to have the average persons family issues like say a teenage daughter who is pregnant. Politcians make themselves out to be perfect people who have screwed up our government. Reform is what we need in this country and it certainly isnt going to come from the democrats. Raising taxes, increasing government, and weakening our defenses certainly isnt what we need. Give Sarah Palin a chance to to reform government like she did in Alaska, leave her family out of it, and see her for what she is. A breath of fresh air!!! Hollywood is lost to the plight of the average person and should keep quiet when it comes to politics ( unless they are named Ronald Reagan)

September 10, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  40. Rose from Muscoy

Sarah Palin don't believe in abortion, free speech, women rights ect.
    READ HER BIO-

September 10, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  41. Rger Cyr

As a Canadian that Plin is being called a hockey Mom is the funniest joke going around in this country. Let her come for a week in Canada to see what a hockey Mom has to do in a week. This is hilarious. Wha is not funny is the possibility that she could end up as President. Now that is more than frightening. Can racism be so eep that people could be stupid enough to vote for McCain in this election. If anyone watched the short interview that CNN had with Michael Ware, tthe Iraq correspondent for years he had to use is words carefully but the bottom line contrary to what McCain said yeterday is that the U.S. has absolutely no chance of ever winning this war it is strictly to try to leave with honor. If the Republcans are re-elected this automatically means no troop withdrawal. Michael also indicated that the success of the surge is stretching the truth. The U.S. is using Al Queda members to fight the extremist Al Queda members. Less violence today because barriers have been set up to seperate the Serbs from the Sunnis, four million people have left for other countries and the one million Christians who could practice their reigion when ussein was in power including a cabinet minister in Husseins government are all gone and Christianity is practiced by a few underground. Those are the facts and CNN does not have the courage to talk about it. And whenwill Scneider & John King stop repeating they do not know why the gap is so close when continuously talking about rural areas, when everyone knows it is because of deep racism and that is why Paulin is attracting white women in those areas. Why not start being honestand stop talking about polls and electoral maps. They mean absolutely nothing in this election because Obama is black and that means past elections are totally irrelevant when it comes to electoral maps. I am white and I am so disgusted by the coverage I have seen. The news media is not interested in issues they like smut and McCain knows it and is using thefull power of all the White House machine to utilize smear campaigns to attempt to make people forget about the last eight years.Paulin is ow a celebrity. How strange when Obama was called an elitist and celebrity the McCain campaign mocked this continuously and CNN felt obliged to keep reading those comments. I know no one has the gusts to read this letter or pass it on to a decent commentator like Mr. Cafferty who I am sure would agre with me because he is his own man.

September 10, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  42. Mom1-1

no Sara=Cuda, no loss of womens rights!

September 10, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  43. EDU

Nobody Knows where Palin stands on important issues.
    All she does is go back and forth on issues and being sarcatic.

September 10, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  44. anardo

It seems to me Palin did not put into her daughter a sense of
    values so that when she was old enough to make choices on her own,
    and that she would make the right choices. All we are in life is the
    result of what we choose and the consequences or rewards of our
    choices . Now you got a 17 year old girl in the national stage pretending that getting pregnant before marriage is not an error in judgment and that families values at best is last.

The family values that Palin and the republican party is injecting
    into 14,15,16,17 years old girls in America is insane. When you
    allow insane people to lead you and you say nothing and do nothing,
    then you deserve the results of their insanity.

September 10, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  45. Jolene

I, personally, think it is the conservatives (not the Hillary supporters) that are happy with Palin being a part of the ticket and her Pro-Life stance, thus the energized Republican party. Even Biden believes life begins at conception. As a career woman myself, I am intrigued with finding out more about her. I also think it was a brilliant move on the GOP's part. It may have been described by the pundits as a "Hail Mary" but Palin caught the ball and is in the end zone. We will just have to see if she can keep scoring the points. But when all is said and done, this election is really between Obama and McCain. Can't wait for the debates!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

September 10, 2008 at 6:55 pm |
  46. Cindy

It is funny...every time the Dems are afraid of someone or something they always, always bring up abortion and Roe vs. Wade. This is their scare tactic...the Reps will overturn it! Well HELLO..dems...Bush has been in office for 8 years and he hasn't been able to overturn it yet! And the Dems control congress so if one of the Supreme Court Justices has to be replaced they do have a say in who gets in!

Besides that there are way for more issues that matter now to people, abortion is way, way down on that list of what people care about this election. So stop with your rhetoric already!!

Cindy...Ga.

September 10, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  47. jacob kuryan

Why is CNN talking about lipstick when you could be presenting the facts to the public? or even questioning the "facts"?
    I think the mainstream media is indulged "in ambulance chasing", you want someone or anyone to be hurt by the "lipstick" remark. Why is Sarah Palin wearing lipstick / is she just covering up a " per diem claiming, took the money for the bridge to nowhere pork barrel , anti abortion under any circumstances..." politician??!!
    Please step up to your responsibility CNN and Anderson and Lou and Wolf and on and on....
    Chris Mathews is the only guy calling it as he sees it....Obama or McCain.

September 10, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  48. Pat Martin

Have you noticed how much Sarah Palin looks like Jackie Kennedy? Spooky!

September 10, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  49. Liz

I'm amazed that at this time in our history women are willing to throw away every bit of progress people like HRC fought for just to have a VP that doesn't have a penis. Let's face it–it really is that simple for these women. My daughter & grandaughter deserve better. Like they've said to men for years, ladies thinks with your other head.

September 10, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  50. Donna A. Reuter, Bremerton, WA

The reason why the Wilson Sisters don't want McCain/Palin to use their song, "Barracuda" is that they are the daughters and granddaughters of United States Marine Corps officers (almost the same upbring like John McCain) and they probably are disgusted by the callous, heartless ("Heartless" is the title of another song by Heart), cold-blooded treatment of this generation of miltary children by the Repulicans. They are treating their parents like chattle, instead of the national treasures that they are.

There is more to the story than someone playing a song without the composer's permission. It has U.S. Marine Corps "brats" chastising U.S. Navy "brat" John McCain. Ann and Nancy Wilson have gravitas when it comes to military personnel and their children.

September 10, 2008 at 6:41 pm |