September 10th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/10/2008

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Catherine

The republicans think Barrack's comment was sexist?
    The most sexist comment I heard today was republican governor Arnold saying she was a good choice because she is attractive and spices up the campaign.

September 10, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  2. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, I guess alot of comments are streaming in. It's updating like a 3 legged turtle running on full steam. Is anyone else have an update challenge?

September 10, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  3. Mark in MN

I don't know about any one else, but I changed my vote today –
    McCain has proven to be the same as Bush with this ugly campaign –

I thought Obama's words this morning were exactly what EVERYONE needed to hear – "Enough is Enough" – this is ridiculous

September 10, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  4. Arlene

Yawn. Why are we waiting for her to land? This is unbelievable that we are waiting for her to "show up" as Candy said. Do you guys know something we don't about what's going to happen when the plane lands? This is such a slow news day!!!

September 10, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  5. zach

a question to the country to think about. Everything as of late has been Obama vs. Palin. I just want to know who is really running for president Mccain or Palin

September 10, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

Anderson, I have to say that the mudslinging is nothing new, feel like I've been processing that sort of stuff for months.

September 10, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  7. Michael

WELL SAID MR GERGEN

September 10, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  8. larry

mccain a maverick?he got mad at bush and voted against him just to show him and now they made up and are good buddies.mccain a war hero?tell that to the medal of honor winners!

September 10, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  9. sarah B....Durham,NC

Alaskans feel intimate with Palin.....she has probably meet almost half of them!....come on Brooklyn has 4x's as many ppl than the whole state of Alaska!

September 10, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  10. karin dicker

why are you waiting for palins plane? you are just adding to the feeding frenzy. when are you going to show biden arriving somewhere? this palin thing is nuts. just nuts. a real turn off. and by you saying cnn is the only one on live showing this – that is NO feather in your cap anderson.

September 10, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  11. Carol from Michigan

I am completely disgusted that McCain supporters will not answer questions asked of them. Instead of answering, they change the subject to the 'daily talking points'. When someone else tries to their view they are constantly interupted and shouted down. I've lost all respect for McCain, I used to think he was a person who cared about the truth, but sadly that has changed.

September 10, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  12. Dave

it is sad really that a Candidate has to fight to actually talk about what is affecting the people of the country they are running in.

September 10, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  13. Linda T

Special treatment for Palin. Joe Biden did not get nonstop media coverage.

It is good to finally see CNN cover the tax policy. As factcheck says, McCain has been distorting Obama's tax plan since early June.

September 10, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  14. Roxanne Howe

There is an argument to be made that it would be sexist of the media and the Obama campaign to NOT question Palin's record. Any other politician is subject to scrutiny and Palin should be no exception.

September 10, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  15. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

They have a teleprompter set-up for her when she gets off a plane. That's unusual and simply underscores that eveything she has said up to this point is scripted. Even Anderosn made a reference to that. When is Palin going to speak for herself!

September 10, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  16. David NC

Turning me off! Enough with the lipstick. Tomorrow night we should have more interesting things talk about. I've been in another room most of the evening.. just checking back now and again.

September 10, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  17. Jamie

Anderson,
    I've been upset with both sides. I've been upset with the media also. I'm tired of the garbage. I'm very interested to know the facts.

September 10, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  18. beth

Why are you broadcasting the Fairbanks arrival? Why stoke the media fires over trivia? It is a distraction.

September 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  19. Ronnie

I have watched this campaign every day, since day one. I am now confused as to who is running for president McCain or Palin? Is the Republican Party afraid to let her leave McCain’s side for fear no one will listen to him? Will Palin or McCain run the White House? McCain appears to be a maverick with a broken leg and Palin is the crutch.

September 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  20. SallyS

Could someone who knows something about economics please explain how we're suppose to get rid of a 409 billion dollar deficit without raising anyone's taxes. Especially while we're spending 10 billion a month in Iraq and Afganistan.

September 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  21. Beth/ Waco, Texas

Thank you, Mr Anderson, for just saying that you would not bring us Gov. Palin's entire speech when she gets to Alaska. As you said, we've heard it for the past two weeks. It's the only one she has been given by Rove and company. Why are you covering it at alll? If you can't talk to her she shouldn't be worth covering.

September 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  22. Darlene W.

What is happening is the Republican fear machine.....When will the media pressure the McCain campaign to have a honest interview with Governor Palin?

Obama needs to deal with this issue as he did today. It is up to the media to get back on message and give the message as Obama did today.

September 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  23. Dave

Can Palin not speak for her self? Every where she goes there is a a teleprompter. Wouldn't it be nice to see what she actually has to say.

September 10, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  24. keith

i think if mccain/palin eventually win this election it will only prove that guerilla warfare is effective.

September 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  25. Ray

Its quite evident that the McCain campaign sole intention is to win the WH @ all cost – even if it means resorting to the lowest form political tactic. How DARE they speak of moral values!

September 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  26. Adriana R Maxwell

A poltical force to be reckoned. Please. She is like a female George W Bush. Nice neighbor, good kids, helps with PTA. Ok to go to the local pub and hae a beer. Not help run tthe country.

September 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  27. Judith

Hard Ball had the facts about the Lipstick and pig.Apparently McCain himself called Hillary Clinton that about her healthcare.
    Rep need to stop crying everytime they dish it out and get it back

September 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar

I can't wait see Sarah Palin to speech in Fairbank, Alaska.

September 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  29. Heather

Anderson that is exactly it. I'm sick of the same old stump speech!

September 10, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  30. Shannon

Thank you Anderson!! You are one of the few journalists to really push how ridiculous it is that Sarah Palin is only speaking the same speech and not taking questions!

September 10, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  31. MaryBeth

LOL Anderson!! You are so right...it's the same speech day after day after day after day.....

September 10, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  32. Heather

Cute kitty .Eight more lives. Maybe CatFancy mag will get the exclusive.

September 10, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  33. Chris, Va Beach

Turning me off, but it would be nice to hear from Palin herself.... too bad she isn't even in a position to give a "no comment"

September 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  34. ericacnn

ha! jimmy, thanks for the support but i am definitely not qualified to run for office...and i have to say, it's not a job i want. it is a difficult, thankless job.

September 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Emilio

Sarah Palin just loves telling half the truth, as exposed in earmark piece. Good job Anderson on putting the stories Americans need to see and hear, expose this McCain-Palin ticket for what they are.

September 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Mika

This report (on Sarah Palin's earmarks) should have led the broadcast.

September 10, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  37. JImmy in California

With all those earmarks Palin was getting for Apaska, I would say she was talking out of all 3 sides of her mouth.

September 10, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  38. Miles, Texas

I guess McCain was right. He did find those earmakers and he did make her famous. He also made her his VP pick.

September 10, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  39. David

You act like she is reaching into the money pit herself. All of these are voted on by congress.

September 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  40. MaryBeth

OMG...$27M? For a town of 5K? My hometown has about 11K....they could totally use $27M....

September 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

This mudslinging is getting ridiculous

September 10, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Peter

Turning me off. I'm getting turn off on Palin too, knowing if McCain is elected, she will only be pulled out of the closet when he's in trouble.

September 10, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  43. Tina

It is turning me off from the Republican party. Even during the convention I felt they starting the mudslinging first. And unfortunately we as Americans are being bamboozled by the negative spin. Playing right into the strategist hands by being so easily led away from the issues.

September 10, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Shannon,Dallas,Texas

I think the report on the candidates views on abortion should contain McCain's statements that he would appoint pro-life Supreme Court justices, and that he would support repealling Roe v. Wade.

September 10, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Joe

I am so turned off by what Biden said about his belief life begins at conception! He's not suppossed to have the same opinion as a right-winger! He is a Democrat. How wrong of him!

September 10, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  46. jane

This mudslinging is turning me off, Anderson. But please note who is slinging all the mud and lies. I will vote for Obama, I promise you.

September 10, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse NY

If Biden thinks that life begins at conception, then how can he vote for abortion? He's voting for murder.

September 10, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Yvonne in Atlanta

mudslinging from the mccain campaign has definitely turned my vote against them. i can't imagine being under such leadership. hopefully other everyday americans believe the same.

September 10, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Monica - Virginia

What ever happened to the separation of Church and State?

September 10, 2008 at 10:40 pm |