September 10th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/10/2008

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Minou, New York City

Turning me off big time!! This is a circus, not an election.

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  2. ALICE

do the american people really think mccain is ready to lead because of the negative campaigning, i don't, it's just more of the same, mcain doesn't get it and neither do the people who are supporting him, this country is in bad shape and he has yet to say excactly what he will do, i have not heard any specifics, it really won't matter because he's just a liar

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Toni

Anderson,

Thank you so much for going back to what really matters. I couldn't stand one more show obsessed with the Palin-lipstick saga. I really hope others will follow and the media will do their job.

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Kevin - Greensboro, NC

Not turning me off AC, getting me fired up... McCain is AFRAID to talk about issues!

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Kaye

"It's the economy ,stupid"! Thats what Obama needs to get back to. Hammer home all of the mistakes made the last 8 yrs. Don't be drawn by all the drama being thrown his way.

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  6. James

I think John McCain new campaign slogan should be "I'm John McCain, and I have Sarah Palin's permission to say so!"

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Carl

When will Gov. Palin finish cramming on how to answer questions on issue she should already know?

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Melodie

I am from Michigan and I have to say that this campaign is so out of control. We have issues, HUGE issues, we need the candidates to address them so we can make an informed vote. And...am I the only person thinking about how critical the VP is in this election, Obama is going to be an target from day one and McCain could drop dead in office. I feel the VP this election is going to decide my vote.

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

Ms. Pendergrass you have a point, and David Gergen is addressing it, but I feel the campaigns have to get control of the election.

I think the libstick story is over, but Obama has his hands full with McCain's campaign they're kind dodgy maybe not the word I want

September 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Jennifer - Michigan

The mudslinging is a big TURN-OFF all the way.

September 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Linda

In the states where the economy had totally tanked I can't imagine why anyone would vote for McCain. I haven't heard him say anything about helping the working class.

September 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Anthony D, Tallahassee

It's also hard for me to trust these polls, especially since I don't even know someone that knows someone that have been polled.

September 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  13. andersoncnn

good evening all... is all this mudslinging and tit for tat... turning you off...or turning you towards one camp or the other?

September 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Hurricane Ike is on the way to Louisiana and Texas......... my hearts go to Texas, get ready to leave now.

September 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Michael

Obama's going to get the ship back in the right direction and get back to talking about the issues. It's so hard to avoid being dragged into the mud by the McCain campaign and the Republican machine, it's what they're best at. If people were focused on the issues rather than sound bites, this race wouldn't even be close.

September 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Dave

Why is every one so afraid of higher taxes the countries with the highest standards of living have the highest taxes of the entire western world

September 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Nicole A. - Indianapolis

Gergen – There is nothing clever about McCain's campaign...as all of you have stated, we've seen it before. It's disgusting. By the way Obama is still new and interesting and a different type of politician.

And where is Joe Biden?

September 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Jen

I am failing to see where Obama has said a word about Palin, first he discussed McCain's policies, he then responded to McCain's tactics, then he discussed education. McCain brought her into it, not Obama.

September 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Cheryl

It will be very hard for Obama not to address Palin for example look at the RNC. Palin took jabs at Obama and it left people wondering how he was going to respond, now suddenly we should dismiss her, provided she attack again and he doesn't respond he will be considered weak.

September 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Jo Ann

Doesn't David realize that it isn't in Obama's nature to back off. He is a narcissist and has to be in control and at the center of attention at all times.

September 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  21. lynn

David: Obama is talking issues like education today. The media isn't covering it!! Why don't you give McCain some advice about running a truthful campaign like he promised.

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Mike Reyes

Hey yall,
    I could be over analyzing, but it seems that Obama has lost some of his momentum in recent weeks. What do you think he should do to get back on track?

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Eileen

Obama needs to have someone write a card for him to get a new message, David. That's his problem. It almost seems like he is afraid to say what he really thinks...he can only go so far "off the cuff" because his handlers haven't told him what to say. I truly believe that that is what it is coming to.

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Rose

People keep saying that Obama needs to get back to the issues and not to deal with Sarah Palin. News flash people, he is the only one tht has been addressing the issues thus far. Even when he made the lipstick comment, he was still talking about the issues.

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Margaret Wilson

I don't believe the polls.We have know idea who is voting and if they are honest. Just show us the main course forget the appetizer and dessert.

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Carly,AL (it's my b-day)

I agree with David where is "good ol' joe"....... the fighting is just childish...if they keep this up over the next 2 months i think it might turn some voters off!!

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  27. MaryBeth

David Gergen is so right! Obama needs to get back to issues...Candy is right too...Obama should have just laughed and kept on going...like the lipstick/pig thing never happened.

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Rob - Arizona

Sen. Obama has to understand that he's running against The Machine and the rules are...there are no rules.

It's get tough, get bloody, or go home. It's that simple.

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Melody

Thank you David Gurgen – this is how the Republicans have manipulated voters for the last 8 years. Haven't we learned these tactics by now? How about the media holding these politicians accountable and calling them out when they resort to such distractions and let's get back to the issues!!!

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Venson

We need to stop all this garbage going on in both campaigns and get back to the issue at hand, the economy. It is in bad shape and someone needs to work on fixing it and stop talking about he said, she said.

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  31. Lisa

David Gergen, the voice of reason. Why is Obama not listening to you?

September 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Rob

Prior to the DNC I was locked to support Obama. Now that he's picked Biden I'm really on the fence. Can someone focus on what Biden stands for and get off the lipstick garbage?!

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Allison - Charlotte, NC

I agree with David's comments tonight. Where are the issues? I feel like both campaigns have set a record low. Do our leaders really care about us?

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Michael, CT.

I agree I haven't heard of one person who has been polled...The media is to blame for not allowing American voice to be heard.

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Gene L

I thought Obama did exactly what Candy Crowley just described.

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Derrick

Thank you, David. I am so pissed that our government appears to be bailing out everybody that comes to Washington with their hands out. Is this a Republican administration or what? What happened to succeeding on your own and failing on your own? Where's the SEC on this? Why's the Treasury doing so much?

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Jo Ann

Obama is turning a lot of people off with his Prima Donna attitude. He thinks he can get away with anything he wants because the media will watch his back.

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  38. JImmy in California

Barack needs to get back on message. I am tired of all this demeaning talk from both sides.

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Tonitta

I felt that Barack did try to end the trivial discussion and turn back to talk about politics. He had to say enough is enough

September 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  40. gary

pigs and lipstick. Wow. What's the next big issue we tackle? Boxers or briefs! Give me a break.

September 10, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Doug and Renee Girres

I think it is crazy that someone running for vp could still not have answered any questions to the media and or public this is a fade and just like a new fast food joint the new will wear off

September 10, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  42. billy

i will vote for obama

September 10, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Nigel - Ohio/Virginia

I don't know about anyone else...but Lipstick and pigs" won't resolve the issues with Education, Healthcare, and foreign policy, the fact the voters have time to determine "tone" is alarming.

September 10, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Elaine

Ya, with Sarah Palin on the scene now, we might as well forget about McCain. She is upstaging him. Its like she is the one running for Pres. and McCain VP

September 10, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Aarik

Is it me or does evry show I see show obama pictured next to palin all the timw? Who is the GOP candidate for prez?

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Cheryl

I cannot believe the nerve of the Republicans. They right wing media have been trash talking Sen. Obama for months and now they want to cry wolf when Sarah Palin's record is being questioned? Give me a break.

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  47. billy

when is mccain going to tell us about the issues all we hear change and reform what is his reform he tlaking about

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Arlene

What must the rest of the world think of the news out of the USA? With all the real news going on, we're talking about lipstick over and over and over. Why do you keep showing and talking about it? Let's get on with the real issues PLEASE.

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Shannon

How did John McCain fight corruption when he was part of it with the Keating 5?

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Susan from Scotts Valley

How about the media refusing to allow the Republicans to control the news?

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |