September 10th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/10/2008

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ericacnn

candy is game to chat with us on one of the live webcasts tonight – be sure to tune in!

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Drew

I'm ready to hear how Obama is going to cut taxes for 95% of Americans when the bottom one-third of Americans don't pay any federal income tax at all.

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Kendra

Good evening Erica!

September 10, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Shannon

@Karen, Obama did not come across arrogant, he came across as making a definitive point. It is amazing how differently people interpret the same thing. The fact of the matter is that John McCain's platform is not change it is a pig wearing lipstick. The exact same thing we have had for the past eight years.

September 10, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Todd - Ohio

how are thses polls conducted? cause I know they sure havent called anyone on my block in Ohio, on almost every lawn there is an Obama/Biden yard sign

September 10, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Jennifer - Michigan

Things are not not well in Michigan economically, that's for sure. It will be interesting to see what happens in the election.

September 10, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Neither side is innocent of slinging the sand. Democrats and Republicans need their parties to draw a breath and breathe some calmness back into this election.

September 10, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Glenda

Obama needs to pound McCain on this bad economy!! He needs to stop talking about Palin, who has some very extremist views. Obama needs to be more passionate about the issues.

September 10, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Lisa

If Dems stick to the issues the War in Iraq, the Economy and the unfair trade agreements Dem's will win.

September 10, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Anna

With all the problems in the U.S.A. to be addressed, the Republicans are at it again; lipstick on a pig, indeed: Bread and circuses!

September 10, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar

I agree with Barrack Obama, says enough is enough!!!!

September 10, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  12. ericacnn

evening, bloggers

September 10, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  13. Shannon

I am amazed that the public is allowing her to not answer questions. I mean she is basically a puppet.

September 10, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  14. Dave

of course they will be back together, a week apart, McCain will be suffering from separation anxiety

September 10, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

I knew that as soon as McCain announced that Palin was going to be his V.P that he was going to pull out the sexist card sometime.......and here it is.

September 10, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  16. J.C.

That was great. McCain trying to talk in PA and cant because of the Obama chants. PA for Obama!!!!

September 10, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Cindy

Let's get back to the issues. I am sick of listening to the double standards the republicans live by. Can dish it but can't take it. McCain claims he doesn't like the negative in the race but who served the first plate of bad pork? McCain!

September 10, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  18. lynn

The media complains about these diversions but spends constant time covering them.

September 10, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  19. David Bollinger

I am 18 and a first time voter in Georgia. I am very liberal when it comes to my views, which I find to be rare in my community. Everyday i come home from school and turn on CNN for the news and all I hear is trash talk. I honestly wish that the candidates would stop slinging mud and focus on expressing their plans to better the nation. McCain has gone to such lows lately, that I would never consider him eligible for my vote. Obama '08!

September 10, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Tanya

I was really excited about this election season, now I'm just frustrated. I would like to know how it's even possible that smear campaigns can even be allowed. We teach our children to play fair and be honest in any competition. How is it that we don't hold the same standards for the most important job in this country. Grow up people, set aside all of the childish and petty nonsense and start talking about the crisis this country is in.

September 10, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  21. jackie Chino Hills, CA

how come you see their spouses so much on stage with them? if you saw michelle at least she was speaking somewhere.

September 10, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Shannon

I believe the audience was cheering when Obama made the remark, because they too recognize that all McCain is promoting is the exact same policies as Bush. It is a pig with lipstick. Same package, just glammed up a bit

September 10, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Rose

Damn if you damn if you don't. Is Obama not to respond to the lies and attacks?

September 10, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Jacqui Chan

it's odd that McCain & his campaign is making such an issue over the 'lipstick-wearing pig' especially since there is footage of McCain using this exact same expression when talking about a particular issue involving Hillary Clinton

September 10, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  25. Lisa-le

Lipstick on a Pig please give me a Break I believe McCain used this phrase against Hilary come on now..Old Man.. No Issue no substance what will he think of next.

September 10, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Lily

I know who is Joe Biden ...dont know anything about Palin

September 10, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  27. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

"Liptstick On Pigs" is now a republican smoke screen to avoid the issues, especially IRAQ. And besides, John McCain used this term at least three times from 2007 until now, way before Obama mentioned it, not to mention a degrading reference to Chelsea Clinton.

September 10, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Patricia

I am outraged at the media hype regarding the "phony" slur about Gov. Whats her name. We are in a downward spiral with our economy, school systems, world leadership position, and God knows what else, and all the Republicans can talk about is the sensitivity of the self proclaimed "pit bull"? Are you kidding me!

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  29. Jen-FL

Obama's lipstick comment has been taken waay out of context!! I am so sick of the crap and lets get to the issues that affect all of us.

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse NY

What ever happened to Joe Biden? Is he still in the race?

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  31. eric Walker

After all day coverage of Lipstick gate. Why haven't we seen a microphone in front of Mcain or Palin asking if they feel Obama called her a pig?

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!!
    I agree with Barack Obama....... That is so outrage from McCain and Palin!

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Shannon

I for one am sick of the GOP V.P., the shine is gone. Let's move back to finding a real solution to move this country forward!

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Kimberly

I'm from IL and I've heard the lipstick on a pig comment more times than I can count, and I've never mistaken it as a "sexist" remark. But hey, I'm from a small town, what do I know...

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Louise

Obama has to get back to the issues. and he has to get angry, very angry

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Margaret Wilson

Palin makes me sick.She only has her own opinions. I don't think she is anything but a diversion. Used for sound bites.

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Lily

Hello!!
    Please, go back to the issues!!

September 10, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson. Lipstick on pigs? What am I missing here? Let's get back to the issues people!!

September 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  39. jackie Chino Hills, CA

good evening everyone =) everyone is doing well i hope.

someone just needs to create a line of lipstick already and donate the proceeds to charity...the way we keep talking about it. lol

September 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. gina

please follow barack's advice. enough is enough. we need to respect the debate and the need for americans to have an accurate portrayal of the candidates...this election cycle.

September 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Barb in MN

Don’t you find it odd that the audience were on their feet, cheering for the “lipstick on a pig” saying? They obviously made the connection between this comment and Gov. Palin’s “lipstick” comment. Obama thought he was being clever and he got busted.

At least Obama’s response today wasn’t to ‘scratch his nose with his middle finger’. Progress.

September 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Shannon

I am so ashamed of our country's political environment. It is shameful that McCain is allowed to play these games when real people are suffering.

September 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama is self-destructing. He's in pure reaction mode.

September 10, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  44. MaryBeth

Yay! Thank you Anderson....back to the issues!!!

September 10, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Juan

It certainly is a race about nothing on the mainstream media.

September 10, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Autumn Pendergrass

I have had enough of the media. What are you thinking! The constant reporting of every little thing that Palin does or says as if she were the most important thing in this election is both an insult to my intelligence and ridicules. Get back to what is important, THE ISSUES!

September 10, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Palin-gate gets worse by the day. Good evening.

September 10, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Tracey - Boston

Good Evening,

Lipstick and pigs...how exciting!

September 10, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone.

September 10, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. MaryBeth

Hello everyone and bloggers...

Can we get over the stupid stuff and get back to the issues? Sheesh already....

September 10, 2008 at 10:00 pm |