September 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/9/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Olga, TX

Fahim,

George Bush was the Governor of Texas and look what has happen to America!

September 9, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Brandi-bottom of the boot

awwww, narcoleptic weiner doggies! lol how cute.

September 9, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Thank you for the insight and education bloggers. I enjoyed the show. OMG...I have a dauchschund (prone to seizures). They're so cute...how can you not love them! Good night!

September 9, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Another Mike

Shooting wolves from a plane and then chopping off its leg to prove you've killed one and are entitled to a bounty? Give me a break. Hunting for food is fine with me, but killing a wild animal for a bounty or a trophy mount is so OLD.

September 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Jason Snelgrove

ha, that dog with narcolepsy is great

September 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Jennifer - Michigan

Good night, sleep tight, good show tonight. I'm sleepy...zzzzzzzzzz

September 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have seen this video. Those poor little goats are so precious!

September 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Jan

I have just one comment: If all other things were equal, would Sara Palin been chosen if she were a man? I think the answer is pretty obvious but would love to hear what the panel thinks. The thought of Sara Palin being a heartbeat away from the Presidency scares the hell out of me. I'm voting for Obama/Biden.

Jan
    Montana

September 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Jennifer - Michigan

The fainting goats are so cute. When they get excited or scared they fall over and their legs get stiff. Very cute.

September 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Leigh in Ohio

Issues . . . oh yea, I remember those. YES, let's get back on to them!!

September 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Jeannette, CT

Thank you Mr. Gergen, and Anderson. You clarified a few issues. This is such an important election for all of us, liberals, moderates, conservatives alike. Mr. Gergen, I really don't know how we get back to issues. And for "ordinary" people like me, it gets more and more frustrating. Thanks, though, for tonight's show.

September 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  12. mollie

i personally don't like hunting, but i don't mind if other people do it. if she were hunting pandas or elephants then i would be concerned with her hunting. i'd like to hear more about all the canidates and their opinion on the environment. it'd would be nice to live in a greener country.
    ha, fainting goats!

September 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Jane

I loved the appropriate remark made by Senator O'Bama, I think the lipstick analogy fits Gov.Palin and Sen.McCain. They are lieing about their past records. I believe he could have also said, "if the shoe fits, wear it." We let the republican party distort everything in the last two elections and look what happened, we got a very inept administration and they have destroyed our country's reputation and economy.

September 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Will Thomas

This is all a gimmick. We are being bamboozled, hoodwinked and let astray. Americans love to worship heros. We love cowboy stories and adventure. But, we have had a cowboy attitude in the White House for 8 years and look where it has gotten us.

September 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Jacqueline, NY

What I want to know is what are Palin's views on police brutality, capital punishment (she's pro life, so I guess she is against this LEGAL EVIL,) education, integration; the patriot act, civil rights, etc.

September 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Robert - Miami Beach

It seems to me that John McCain and Sarah Palin actually bring a sincere desire to serve and represent main-stream America into an otherwise self-seeking arena. How refreshing.

September 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Lorna

I cannot believe Gov. Palin has voted against making the polar bear an endangered species. doesn't she live in alaska?!!! aren't the effects of global warming obvious enough up there? not caused by humans? Absurd!

September 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Sharon

Palin was hailed as giving a great speech when she bashed Obama and she was praised because she could be a bulldog and have an attitude. Yet now, she can't stand up to the media and tell it like it is. The Republicans are hyprocrites. She doesn't impress me. And if she can't take criticism she sure shouldn't be in the White House.

September 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Jayson

Just a thought, how could someone who disagrees with abortion and stem cell research also be an "avid" hunter ? If you don't agree with abortion and think that it's "murder," that's fine with me, but if that same person thinks it's ok to kill helpless animals for sport than that's where I have a problem.

September 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Bebe

Did i miss something in Anderson's report about the library books? I thought I heard she did not try to ban certaqin books but the librarian was fired and rehired after protest. What was the connection between the book issue and the firing and rehiring os the librarian?

September 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Erika, Miami

The shooting of wolves under the pretense of preserving the Moose and Caribou is disgusting!

Wait until PETA gets involved. How Pro Life is that?

September 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Dave

I didn't know the Polar Bears respected man made political boarders. If your drill in Alaska, then it will effect the Polar Bears in Canada.

September 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  23. JOYCE DOTSON

How is it that Governor Palin believes that she can get away with not being interviewed by the press. I think she needs to be a big girl and come from behind the skirts, oh I'm sorry the pants of John McCain.

September 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Raechel

Why do people feel that Sarah Palin's religious beliefs should be private? Did we not tear Barack Obama down over his pastor and beliefs? That was all we heard about for weeks but now that the candidate is a women that no one knows a thing about we should just leave it alone! I dont think so!

September 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Kristy, Texas

I find it funny also that palin has yet to have an interview by herself and everything that she says is just a remake of the " big speech " Makes you think that she's can not think for herself and they call that change. lol

September 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Jennifer, NC

First time blogger at AC360; think it’s a great show. Why oh why do we keep talking about Palin and not about the issues? I saw another blogger mention what I’ve been thinking…can’t Palin go anywhere without McCain by her side? She reads prepped comments that are basically the same prepared speech from the convention and yet, she doesn’t answer any questions from the press.

September 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Stephanie

This presidential election is turning into one big circus. Only the candidates care about who's getting more media attention and who isn't . We're screwed no matter who wins rep. or dem.

September 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Dee

Thank you Mark for showing some journalist integrity and not bowing to the McCain canpaign.

September 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Jason, TX

I think they just busted the internet rumor about the special needs budgets per child in Alaska. They actually went up close to 3 times.

And wolves do eat Caribou and Moose, and the management is needed.

September 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Jan

Sarah Palin has no experience as a special needs parent so I don't believe she has any idea of what to advocate for. I am the single parent of a 28 year old special needs so I know from whence I speak. She is a long way from having a clue about it. Besides, it raises the question of how the special education budget of Alaska went from $8m in 2007 (previous administration) to $3m in her first budget, 2008. Fact or fiction?

September 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Kristin

Leslie,

She is not using her time with her family. She is campaigning with McCain. If she has time to give campaign speeches, she has time to answer questions from the press.

September 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  32. leslie

Didn't Gov Palin's son just leave for Iraq ? Can't she have some private time with her family to deal with this event ? Give the woman and her family a break....let her deal with this situation. She will be ready to talk to the press when she is ready.

September 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Jack

Are peolpe really that amazed that Palin has not talked to the press. Have any of you ever played chess. This is a move on the McCain's campaign to keep the interest up. It is an amazing move, and all people are saying is that she is not ready. Can you imagine what will happen if she is. What a ploy. If she is not, what a bust. But you can say one thing, if she does well, Obama will be in trouble.

September 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Andy Marcellin

I think a lot of people is watching Mrs Palin not talking to the press and people not hearing what she thinks instead of giving those one liners on the campaign trail.

September 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Audrey

I just want to know why American's would pay such a high price for something (Sarah Palin) without knowing what they are buying? She needs to answer questions and not give us more puppet talk with lipstick.

September 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Don in St. Pete

What;s wrong with the issues? Let's hear about how they're going to erase the debt and bring up the value of the dollar.

September 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Torrance

Again how do i say, she is running for the Vice Presidency. Everything is up for scrutiny.

September 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Mesha

I totally agree with Mark Halpein. It's important for the media to demand her to speak on issues. What's scary is the fact that there are people in the world who are on board with her, however knows nothing about her, except for the fact that she's personable.

September 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Victoria

Does McCain really think those people are there to see him? He should be afraid of being overshadowed by Palin.

September 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Allison

Is the secrecy of the republican campaign (regarding Palin) a foreshadow to the secrecy of a republican administration?

September 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Louise

Good Lord- keep her sequestered for the rest of the campaign and this is a person who is a heartbeat away from the presidency.

September 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Horace

I am the father of a 17 year old autistic child. My understanding is that Sarah Palin cut funding for special needs children in her state by over 60% BEFORE she found out that she had a special needs child. Afterwards, it appears that she is "conveniently" using her child as a political tool and now supports funding for the cause. I think that this should be brought to the forefront and she should be made to answer why the change of heart? In my opinion, this just verifies for me what I already knew – the Republicans will tell the American people whatever they want to hear to win votes, but they have their fingers crossed behind their backs!

September 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Wendy

I find It interesting that McCain thinks Palin is ready to be VP and possibly president, but they don't think she is ready to take questions from the media. Hmmm!!

September 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Donna

If she is not ready to deal with the press from day one of her VP nomination, then how can she be ready to lead the country from day one?

September 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Jason B

Wow, that last panel speaker was right on the money. Why Palin's elusiveness with the media not being scrutinized more???

September 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Louise

She has not talked to the reporters because she is afraid of what they will do to her

September 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Nancy- Georgia

Candy,

People are waiting to hear from Palin. What are her views on healthcare, the economy, the two wars that are being fought? She will need more than Cliff Notes to pass this test.

September 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Michael Watkins

I disagree with Candi C. We are waiting for the media to interview her.

September 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Cheryl L

Candy was wrong everyone is wondering why she has not spoken to the press.

September 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Tracy

Candy's absolutely right. They've got to coach her.

By the way, I LOVE Candy, David and Mark. Such smart people. I always enjoy listening them them.

September 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |