September 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/9/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cheryl

I wish Obama would stop making any comments that can be construed that they are directed towards Palin. Personally he should no longer address her and make her insignificant and focus on McCain...

September 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Tracy

I agree with Mark. The press is completely buying into just what the McCain campaign wants them to. This is a real low point and so discouraging for our country.

September 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Joe

David Gergen is right- Obama was irresponsible for attacking Palin and making the pig comment. It shows how desperate he is to go after the VP candidate and not McCain- his real rival standing in the way of him and White House.

September 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Kim-Canada

Hopefully once the debates start the focus will be on the issues. It's so much political correctness of he said, she said, it's very frustrating watching non issues.

September 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  5. brandi

lipstick on a pig! lol i love it.

September 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Greg S. in Chicago

THANK YOU MARK! Finally – the voice of reason.

September 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Jennifer - Raleigh, NC

Oy. I've heard plenty of politicians use "lipstick on a pig" before, so Obama doesn't own the trademark on that. Doesn't bother my female senses, but I think Obama ought to consider being a tad more careful given the political climate at the moment.

David Gergen had a great response to it that I totally agree with – it's time to stop the whining and just get on with it.

September 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Penny

The media is allowed to talk about Palin's family in sexist ways and Obama gets a free ticket on this issue.

The American people are not foolish... it is not wonder that McCain is up in the polls.

September 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Claire

I totally agree with Mark. Palin hasn't been vetted by the press like the other three.

September 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  10. MaryBeth

I agree with Mr. Halperin...this is low...lets get back to the issues...is this really newsworthy?

September 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Margaret Wilson

I hope that the voters look at the issues that are the core of our country's problems ei; health care,jobs,war,social security,job loss,the economy,illegal immigration,corruption,lobbyists,trillions off debt etc. Sure Palin's outside appearance is nice to look at.To me it isthe appearance pandering for votes. People should remember that it is the issues and who has a better plan. I like most voters are getting tired of empty promises and the same old same old as we and our friends and family are having a harder time just getting buy.
    Deerfield Bch, FL

September 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  12. Teri (Dallas)

Does it seem odd to anyone else that McCain has to have Palin by his side constantly? I agree with you Mr. Gergen, that there is surprise that Palin will not answer questions. How is it that someone in the media hasn't caught her on tape refusing to answer a reporter's question?

September 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Louise

She is not talking to the press because she knows she will get eaten alive and I for one cannot wait to see that. I hope that she gets what she deserves when she finnally does talk

September 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Mike, Vietnam

Good morning from Vietnam,
    looking forward to enjoyable blog today!

September 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Louise, It may be common, but when have you heard it used in this campaign before?

September 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  16. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

How 'bout we actually hear what PALIN has to say, not what her speech writers are writing for her. Let her answer public questions, as David Gergen points out.

September 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Cheryl

I would like to get back to the issues as well... Well I have looked into McCain's record and he has only voted on a few measures that would purport change on other key issues he choose not to vote or was not present for the vote.

September 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

No matter what context it was in it was an insult against Palin.

September 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Kathy, Chicago

I'm sure that Obama said it to make a jab at Palin and make a point. He is very sly.

September 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Louise

@ tina- I agree with you. Because she is a woman everything anyone says about her they (mccain camp) will say it is sexist.

September 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  21. M. E. Lane

Palin likened herself to a dog, if Barack's comment was even about her, then he thinks more of her obviously than she thinks of herself.

September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Jerry - West Virginia

I believe what Obama said about the Lip Stick on a pig was a direct reference to Sarah Palin.

He could have set you can was a pig and clean it up and it's still a pig.

This could be use against Obama as a double remark, a Sexist and a Racist.

September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama has been complaining that McCain does nothing but attack him. Well, looks like all he does is attack himself.

September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Erika, Miami

His Lipstick on a Pig comment was completely taken out of context!!! How annoying – now Obama is going to have to walk on eggshells.

September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Courtney, Fl

wow that McCain ad is a low blow. and those were McCain's own words now it's time for sexism charges give me a break!

September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Louise

Lipstick on a pig- it is a common phrase and of course all of the right wingers would think it was about Palin- just remeber that she was the one who brought up lipstick in the first place. Silly season in high gear. Palin cannot hide behind the fact that she is a woman.

September 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Jacqui Chan

funny, I heard that Palin has earned McCain a large portion of what was previously undecieded voters, more than Obama has earned. She has had the opposite effect on me. I was not sure who to give my vote to be she has certainly scared me off with her "conservative" heartless views

September 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, You can't really believe that Obama just all of a sudden started to use this expression can you? You yourself mentioned that Palin is thought of as a pit bull with lipstick. Intelligent people can see that it is too much of a coincidence.

September 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Rory - NYC

Good evening everyone, good evening Anderson & Erica!

September 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Dee

People shouid take the comment in the context in which it was used.
    Getting very petty out there...

September 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Claire

This Campaign is getting ridiculous. Negative and out of control.

September 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  32. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Palin is a pig...she's been a liar, from day one of this VP candidate charade.

September 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse NY

Ha, Ha. Obama claims McCain is playing the gender card. How many times has Obama played the race card?

September 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Tracey - Boston

Watching any other news channel is like putting lipstick on a pig!

CNN Rocks!

September 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Louise

Obama has to stop talking about Palin and leave it to his surrogates.

September 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Haley J

Hello all! Glad to be part of the blogging tonight!

September 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Tina

Anderson,
    This is getting to be ridiculous is everything the Obama camp says going to be sexist!!!!

September 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. JImmy in California

Good evening Anderson and Erica and all Best Bloggers. Hope we all have a great night tonight.

September 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse NY

Looks like a whole new race now. The change message works for McCain because he actually has a record of getting things done.

September 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Paul Buenaventura

I think it's great you guys have dedicated more time to the republican campaign, i think we all were tired of watching our little friend Obama talking dreams and hopes. Your program it's great and thank you for keeping them honest to us.

September 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I love John McCain talking about Obama lacking judgement and then he chooses Sarah Palin–talk about bad judgement.

September 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. MaryBeth

I hope this Palin business is over soon...I'd like to get back to the issues...

September 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Cindy

I think Obama was talking about Palin when he made the lipstick on a pig comment. His followers sure knew what he meant.

Cindy...Ga.

September 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama just lost a lot of female votes with that insulting remark.

He sounds a little panicked to me.

September 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Louise

I really really wish these candidates for president, and I mean Obama and McCain, not Srah Palin would focus on the issues. McCain has been virtually absent leaving it all to Palin

September 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening 360 and 360 bloggers.

September 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Jennifer - Michigan

Good evening Erica & Anderson. Looking forward to a good show. Glad to be with you tonight.

September 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Jacqui Chan

good evening everyone! – I'm outta work early and excited 2 b watching (on time) and blogging! also looking 4ward 2 hearing Obama's response to the latest news on the troop withdrawl

September 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Louise

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and fellow bloggers

September 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Cindy

Evening Anderson and all..

Guess we get more Palin tonight huh?

Cindy...Ga.