September 9th, 2008

Evening Buzz: Stem cells, lipstick, wolves and more

Cate Vojdik
AC360° Writer

56 days isn’t much time to get to know someone but that’s what voters - and newsrooms – are up against with Gov. Sarah Palin. Before long-time senator Joe Biden became Barack Obama’s running mate, he was, of course, a presidential candidate. We’ve heard him talk about the issues and the policies he supports – at length and in great detail. We’re still waiting for Palin to do the same. We’ve seen the energy and excitement she’s injected into John McCain’s campaign but we’ve yet to hear - straight from Palin herself - exactly where she stands on many of the issues Americans say they care most about. Just like nature, politics abhors a vacuum, and rumors about Palin are flying all over the internet – about how she tried to ban books at her local library after becoming mayor and how she cut funding for special education programs. Tonight, we’ll separate the facts from the fiction, just like we’ve done with rumors about Obama.

We’ll also take a close look at Palin’s environmental record in Alaska. She supports oil and gas drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge – and her critics say when energy exploration butts head with the environment, nature usually ends up taking a back seat. As governor, Palin pushed to lift a ban on hunting wolves from planes, a practice that’s been illegal nationwide since 1972. 360’s Randi Kaye is in Alaska digging deeper.

We’ll also look at the sparks over Joe Biden’s remarks today about stem cell research and Barack Obama’s reference to “lipstick on pigs.” It was a busy and testy day on the trail.

If the program seems a bit heavy on Palin coverage, we think it’s justified. As we said, 56 days isn’t much time to get to know someone. We’re doing our best to take the mystery out of an unknown. What questions about Palin, her experience, and her views are most important to you? We’ll see you at 10 eastern.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Randy

When will anyone straighten out all the Democrats and their misleading attacks on stem cell research. Most Republicans are for adult stem cell research, which has had a significant breakthorugh lately. The difference comes when the Democrats want to destroy embyos for medical research.

Why don't you fact check that and say the Democrats are misleading and lying to the public.

September 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Christine from Florida

I still haven't seen you scrutinize Biden – his personal views, religious views and political stances.

CNN, do you understand stem cell research? Sarah Palin is NOT against stem cell research – just embryonic stem cell research. Do you know that all the breakthroughs in this type of research have been with umbilical cord stem cells and adult stem cells? You are totally letting those democratic spokeswomen have a pass when you leave those comments unchecked that Palin is against stem cell research. Just like Biden's disgusting comment – unfounded.

I've noticed you don't post pro Palin messages. I find that very interesting.

September 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Becky

They are hiding Palin. They are afraid she will screw up their little polls. I am sick of hearing how she is being attacked. People should know her record. From what I've been seeing her so called record is falling day by day. How she gets away with the "Bridge to Nowhere" comment over and over is beyond me. I guess they think if we hear it long enough we'll all believe her over the facts. Get off of it people. There is no sexism here. It's called news and it should be reported before we elect a woman just because she's a pitbull with lipstick.

September 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Robin

Palin needs to get a clue! IF she thinks that change is NOT pro-choice she has no clue. I pray that she doesn't EVER get anywhere near the the White House!

September 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Nicole

People who are supporting McCain and Palin are not seeing the future. Who cares about her image, the women is a liar and killer. Above all, she is not qualified for the job.

September 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  6. tammie

Karen, I'm sure Bush/Cain/Palin would welcome your vote and when you fall for the same sqqueal that Cain is pushing and you and yours are hurting remember how you voted and why? Don't complain about what you don't have or how you are gonna go get it . Don't look for help just wait on Cain see if he hears you. Just like Bush hears you now.

September 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Penny

I find it bafflng that Palin believes she is ready to be vp, but is afraid to answer questions on the stump or to be interviewed by reporters. How can we believe she could handle the pressures of the white house if she can't stand up to voters and reporters during the campaign. I agree with Mark Helpern: why is the media giving her a pass? They certainly haven't allowed the other three candidates that luxury.

September 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Jason from Tx

Why is she avoiding the media? If Obama can go on the Bill O'reilly Show, she can face the media and voice her own views. If she not lieing about her record come out of hiding. Lets be honest she not ready to speak to the media and she not ready to be The VP

September 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. cheryl

Karen please stop whinning. It didn't offend you when Palin insulted Obama on working with inner city communities I guess it isn't important work with the poor or listen to them. Someone has to listen to the poor and he did. She is a pig in lipstick! And if you are able to switch so easily you were not a true democrate.
    cheryl

September 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  10. JV

I don't understand the media complaining about lack of access to Sarah Palin. Stop covering her for 24 hours and she will be ready to talk. I have seen countless pictures of her every night. I hear clips of her stump speaches. The media is allowing the McCain campaign to dictate what it can cover! If journalists would agree to start a blackout until Palin is willing to be questioned, I think we would hear from her. She is obviously not ready for the vice-presidency!!

September 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Ron Illinois

All the Republicans can do is try to change the focus of the voter so that they will forget how screwed up this country is under their lead.

September 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Judith

Who is the REAL Sarah Palin? I don't think the McCain campaign trusts the American public with that information and they are doing everything they can to prevent Americans from knowing the truth about a woman who may possibly be a "heartbeat away from the presidency."
    This is simply more of Rove/Bush tactics...feeding the public propaganda and relying on the stupidity of the public to believe it. The McCain campaign should have a new slogan..."it is now possible to fool all the people all the time."
    There is only one problem – not EVERYONE is fooled!

September 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Joy

I'm sick of her!

She's a religious extremist that wants more polution from drilling for oil, more nuclear cancer causing power plants, and only cares about keeping the rich, rich.

But she's spunky, goes to church, and is a mom and that's really all that matters. Right?

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with Americans that they are even considering putting the most inexperienced Vice President in office with the OLDEST President?

If Bush, I mean McCain and Palin, get into office our country is going to look like idiots to the rest of the world and that will leave us more vulnerable to invasion.

Stop this madness!-- My grandfather once said, " If you want to live like a Republican, vote Democrat".

Unless you are a millionaire, you should NEVER vote Republican!

September 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  14. Cheryl

Sarah Palin is BAD NEWS! Total unknown, not properly vetted, all kinds of investigations, no women's right to choose, no stem cell research, more war, more Bush, cannot talk to the press, and half this country thinks she can be the President ??? She stands up on the stage looking like she's in a beauty contest instead of a vice-presidential ticket. People WAKE UP before it's too late! NO MCCAIN, NO PALIN, NO WAY!!!

September 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Randy

56 days isn't long to get to know someone, or do you mean 56 days isn't long enough to discredit the republican ticket?

You should dig into her record and find the good and the bad. Surely there must be some story that you could do that actually has a positive slant to it. Think balance and stop doing the DNC's job.

September 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Shirley, CA

Re: Obama's remark about putting lipstick on a pig. You can put a suit and tie on a jackass and he'll still be a jackass!

September 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Edlee

Not only is Sarah Palin a golden plated hypocrite, she is totally unqualified to be Vice President. Except of course for the dismal Republicans, who remember, also picked Dick Cheney. Absolutely the worst VP ever in the history of this country. She likes to expound on her so called Christian faith, but supported and encouraged the slaughter of wolf pups and put a bounty on the front legs of freshly killed wolves. Doesn't that just cry out compassion? She is another sleazy republican politician who will say anything to get elected, i.e. George Bush.

September 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  18. tammie

I don't think by being sarcastic like you have a better than thou attitude is very endearing to the american public. Sarah Palin sounded very uppitidy and snobbish to me. If being condesinding is how you want your children to behave no wonder the country is screwed.. I think you guys need to stop covering all of the dribble and get down to the facts and stop all of the cute little stories on Palin.

September 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Pat - Fayetteville, NC

When something is conveyed to intentionally mislead, it is a lie! That is precisely what Sarah Palin and John McCain did in stating: (1) the bridge to nowhere and Sarah said thanks, but no thanks; especially when she was originally was for it, and when it became heated, she flipped and was opposed to it. (2) Sarah put the govenor's plane on eBay. What she omitted was that it did not sell on eBay, but through another method and it was sold at a loss. McCain committed on it during one of their rallys and he specifically said that it was sold on eBay and for a profit. This is a disservice to the public when the media ignores these facts. Get it together and call a spade a spade.

Another matter is Sarah is hunting with the big dogs now. If she is not ready to take the hits, then she should stay on the porch. Stop using sexism when Biden or another male says something about her.

Again, stop handling her with kid gloves. If she can not take the heat then she should get out of the kitchen.

September 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  20. Melissa R, Louisiana

Will John McCain cut the puppet strings already on Palin. All she does is repeat the same speech she gave at the convention. Why isn't she doing interviews like everyone else? What is the McCain campaign afraid of? I believe she will set women and their issues back 100 years. I also think she's a fake. I used to respect John McCain but this clear manipulation of women voters who wanted to see a woman on the ticket is lower than low. Out of his own mouth he has written his fate. He once said he'd rather lose an election than lose a war, well, he my just get his wish. Americans(women included) will come to their senses and realize what's at stake. In November they will vote for real change, which can only be accomplished by putting Obama and Biden in the White House.

September 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  21. tammy

I find it hard to take people seriously, John Mccain cheated on his first wife and yet he wants us to trust him Also, where was Palins' daughter when the abstinece class was being taught? I also don't believe in God and especially as God is interpretted by people that are sinners according to their own doctrine.

September 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  22. cheryl

Why do they always pick on Obama. One minute they say he is not defending himself enoung and then when he does they say he's mean. Let's face it, McCain is doing everything he can to win and sad to say it meant picking a woman. He only did it to get the female vote. I am a woman to but please!!!! Women of America Think about what you are doing. I want to see a female as VP or president but a qualified one.

September 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  23. Rick

Pleasu pursue Palin vehemnently. We hade 19 months to get to know Obama. Now people are mad that the media investigates Palin? It's alaugh. We only have 2 months to get to know her as opposed to 19. Everything you can do to expose that woman good or bad is fair game.

September 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  24. robert

She needs to be prepared less than 2 months out from the election. If she cannot be prepared to talk to America so we can see where she stands on the issues then how are we to take her seriously. It is shameful to hide from us after all the hell we have been through with Bush/Cheney

September 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Joe Moody

Anyone who thinks it's "extreme" to be against embryonic stem cell research needs to consult 35% of the population known as Catholics, not to mention other Christian denominations, whose Church makes it clear life begins at conception.

We all want stem cell research, and there are other ways to do it besides the destruction of unborn human life in the process.

September 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Paul Buenaventura

this was a great phrase from her, and now Obama to criticize it like these, i just think is a no class move and only a desperation move from him and his campaign

September 9, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  27. James, Kennesaw, GA

Sarah Palin majored in communication and is a former television journalist. So why has she been so reluctant to do interviews and the Sunday morning political broadcasts? With the stakes so high, I would think she would use every opportunity to introduce herself and her politics to the nation. If she isn't ready to face the press, how can she be ready to hold the second highest office of the United States government? How can we feel comfortable with someone so unable or unwilling to communicate with the people they govern?

September 9, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Liz

Talk it up! We can't get enough. I want to know everything while I wait for my unemployment check to come. Hopefully I'll get to hear about how great she is! Let's all drink the Kool Aid that was served to this country 2 weeks ago.

September 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  29. eric

You won't see the real background on any of the dems; this is CNN, they endorse obama/biden.

September 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Sandra, Ga.

My questions for Gov. Palin: What do you love most about America? Where do you stand on foreign policy and do you agree to talk and discuss issues with foreign diplomats? How would you go about bringing the jobless rate down? Besides selling Air Force One (just joking), how would you go about relieving the economic recession we are in at this time? Environmentally, how do you feel about off-shore oil drilling affecting marine life? I will save further questions for my colleagues.

September 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Jana DeGraff

Blah, Blah, Blah is all I am starting to hear. Please, why can't the candidates just tell me what they think I want to hear and get off the soap box. What am I suppose to get out of them bashing one another...all this does is divert my attention into staring at my trash can and wanting to hurl. The next time we vote about something it should be about weather candidates can or can not bashing one another into the ground...and think that they are actually getting our minds off the real issues.....Like feeding my family and food on the table. O.k. I am getting off my soap box now!!! Have a great evening. Love your show Anderson

September 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Adriana

I think that although Sarah Palin is new to the national politics, she stands for what she stands for since for ever. It"s a matter of whether you agree with her or not. She is against abortion and the women right to choose and against stem cell research and I admire her for following her believs. But it is something different to try to tell us, the public, what to do with our lives. I know what happened in other parts of the world when abortion was against the law; a lot of women died and a lot of kids ended up in orphanages...It should be every woman's choice and they will live with the decisions they will make, but it has to be a choice...So maybe we should stop and think about that for a while...

September 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Densie

Shane in Montreal...OMG....the air must be thinner where you live. BTW.....Sarah Palin is an extremist and her religious views are in danger of affecting government policy. Joe Biden is a moderate. And if you think the Republican's are the mature ones, you clearly did not see the angry, snide, sarcastic, mean-spirited comments made at the REPUBLICAN convention

September 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  34. Erika, Miami

Shane from Montreal – I think how our potential VP spends her free time is very important! Especially if it includes killing helpless animals to pass the time while being so opposed to abortion and Stem Cell research.

As for the your mature republicans and angry democrats comment – apparently you did not see Giuliani's speech at the RNC.

Sarah Palin needs to rethink her stance on issues. She only wants to teach abstinence in schools and teach creationism? That is so old fashioned and excuse me for saying so but seems very ignorant to me. I don't want anyone telling me that we cannot teach our children about safe sex and birth control and basic evolutionary science. I also don't want someone in the White House that will make all her decisions based on God's will.

September 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  35. Ron In Texas.

How dare Obama to refer to Palin as a Pig. That's like calling him a, well you know. Boy, is Obama running scared or what. Sarah has stole his his thunder, and his campaign is on it's heels. Now how Stupid is he for not picking Hillary as VP?. He deserves this, and he deserves to lose the election, which he will. Hillary 2012. Go SARAH Go

September 9, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  36. Debbie Lewis

I am very interested in the Sarah Palin discussion but I also wonder if the strong spotlight is specifically what is bolstering the poll numbers for the McCain/Palin ticket.

At first, I believed that this seemingly "rediculous, unvetted" choice for McCain's running mate was a huge political gaf on his part. However, since Palin continues to be the lead political story for the past week, this may in fact be just the "ticket" to close the enthusiasm gap by generating increased excitement for John McCain.

Her extreme views have made me lean further left and enhanced my existing support for Obama. I am hopeful that the continued focus on Palin will ultimately energize the democratic base to show-up for Obama in November.

September 9, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  37. Nancy

I don't see anything wrong with Obamas remarks, he was making a point, if the audience thought he was talking about Palin, it was because she made the joke about lipstick to begin with. McCain is running a rotten campaign, he is lying over and over again, now he has Palin lying along with him. They need to concentrate on the issues which are what people want to hear. McCain has no new ideas, he doesn't even know what is going on in the world, he's a warmonger and if we vote him into office he will continue the Bush policies. Obama has all the experience he needs, he is intelligent and articulate and has enough sense to take the advice of others if he is unsure about something. Anyone who has seen the examples of John McCains temper on u tube has to be mortified that he is even running for president. Do we want some tyrant who uses the F word every time someone dissagrees with him for our president?

September 9, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  38. Jan from Wood Dale, IL

I keep reading on several of these posts that people are extremely upset with Sarah Palin's personal and religious beliefs. With Biden being a Roman Catholic, his personal and religious beliefs are not really different than Palin's. Opinions and beliefs do not make them a law.

Whether we have a liberal or conservative President, they can propose legislation and recommend Supreme Court Justices but it is up to Congress to either approve or reject these proposals. A Vice President casts the deciding vote only when there is a tie in Congress, and that rarely happens.

September 9, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  39. Candice

Obama was not being sexist! Sarah Palin is going to play this victim role. I'm a woman and I'll say this in reference to Palin, if you can give it like a man than you better take it like a man! Palin took some personal shots against Obama and he didn't call it sexist so she needs to just chill out!

September 9, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  40. Bill

I honestly don't know much about Gov. Palin's record. I think there is too little of time to really understand what she has done for the state of Alaska. Sorry, but this sounds still more of a publicity stunt by McCain. If McCain were truly committed to working with our country, he would have been serious and chosen a running mate earlier. It just sounds like Palin was chosen because she is controversial... and controversy for the sake of controversy, is not a good decision.

September 9, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  41. Bill

If Sarah Palin believes that God leads us in the things that we do. Then why doesn't she want to interrupt the balance of nature by killing off and shooting wolfs from airplanes? Or does she believe that God told her to do this?

September 9, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  42. Leon

I can't believe the Republican spin machine. They really shot at Hillary and said that she had to be tough enough to take criticism related to her gender. Now, they want nobody to criticize Palin because they clam any remark is sexist!

Let's be honest, Her daughter's pregnancy is a good indication that Palin's advocacy of "abstinence only" birth control was at the least not heard or heeded in her own family.

Also, let's be really honest. If this were Obama's daughter, she and her family would be crucified by the religious right. Everyone knows that is true but won't say it.

September 9, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  43. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Shane..."If your going to report stuff like her pass time or her religious beliefs then why dosn’t Campbell or who ever do th same with Joe Biden?"

Because Biden doesn't use God and religion as part of his rhetoric, nor does he use it (publicly) as part of his decision making process. As soon as a candidate opens that door (Thank you, Sarah Palin), then their religion and spiritual beliefs are fair game. THERE IS A REASON FOR SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.

September 9, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  44. Suzette DeBeatham-Brown

I am an African American woman with a husband and three children. I have a full time job, a Minister at my church and I work with the community and young people. With that said I am not ready to be VP. I think we have moved so far away from the issues to likeability that it's a shame. We are talking about people Mrs. Palin not issues. I want to know how you are going to CHNAGE my situation and that of my children. You don't have much if any world experience. The bad thing is I thing the Republicans are pimping you out to get the votes that would have gone to Hil. If we as a country can get past our old selves Obama will and should be the next President of the USA. In the back of my mind I am afraid that most Americans are still stuck and would rather vote for a old white man who wont change anything than to give a Black man a chance to turn things around. The biggest question is how far have we really come America??????

September 9, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  45. Karen

I was a Hillary voter in Indiana.... After seeing the attacks of a woman that had a job and raises a family at the same time (which most men could not do ) then now Obama calling a working mom a "PIG IN LIPSTICK" I will switch sides and McCain/Palin will get my vote.....

Obiden now says that if she wins it will be a back step for women... I am hurt and angry and will now after being raised Democrate will vote Republican.....

September 9, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  46. Linda

The fact that this woman is being taken seriously is a testament to how poor a candidate John McCain is. She is truly not qualified. It doesn't matter how Republicans try to spin it. This could be a potentially scary situation if McCain were to win and at some point were not able to finish his Presidency. The Presidency should not be a popularity contest. I think America is losing focus on how important this election is. Do we really want to send Pallin to the Middle East or South Korea to repair relations between our countries?

September 9, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  47. Annie Kate

A short time frame to get to know Palin works to the GOP advantage – you can keep a lot covered up for a short amount of time. I'm wondering though what happens if that Alaska investigation finds Sarah guilty of abuse of power and ethics violations – what will McCain do then? If this risk is an example of his superior judgment I fail to see what's superior about it.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 9, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  48. Shane, Montreal

I'm sorry but I do not know Joe Biden's record, this fixation on Sara Palin's pass time as a hunter? I DO NOT CARE !!!!!!! If your going to report stuff like her pass time or her religious beliefs then why dosn't Campbell or who ever do th same with Joe Biden? Am I going to see Joe biden's pass time and religious beliefs? Jeeze I hope so, maybe on the weekend on "revealed"?? Oh and another thing, why does it always seem to me that the republicans are the mature one's and the democrats seem to be screaming and angry. So how can you look presidential when you seem angry all the time?

September 9, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  49. dracine

I don't understand how she can be against stem cell research and abortion when she spends her weeks killing "God's" innocent creatures in Alaska's wilderness. It sounds a bit hypocritical to me. I completely agree with Biden's comments about the necessity of supporting stem cell research if one hopes to improve care for children with birth defects. He is simply addressing the issues that Palin brought to the table. This election needs to be about the issues! Republicans need to realize that Palin is a terrible pick for VP and possibly the biggest mistake in political history for any party to date.

September 9, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  50. ds

HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!! The economy is in shambles, people are losing there jobs and homes in record numbers, we are in a war that we shouldn't be in, we have no energy policy, Wall St. is hanging on by a thread. Katrina was an embarrassment. McCain picks a VP who he had met once. Now Freddie and Fannie Mae is going to cost tax payers billions. Yet with all that, there are people out there who want more of the same. I just don't get it. Shouldn't they all be fired? I don't get it. Very bad resume.

September 9, 2008 at 9:29 pm |