September 9th, 2008

Courtroom laughter at O.J. trial

Editor’s Note: O.J. Simpson arrived Monday for the start of his trial on robbery and kidnapping charges nearly a year after police arrested him in Las Vegas, Nevada. Prosecutors say Simpson and five other men stormed into a Las Vegas hotel room last September 13 to recover sports memorabilia that Simpson said belonged to him. They say at least two men with Simpson had guns as they robbed two sports memorabilia dealers. The following dispatches come from our Paul Vercammen covering the trial:

Paul Vercammen
CNN Senior Producer

9:56am PT:

Judge Jackie Glass has called a morning break for the jury deliberations in the OJ Simpson case.
Just two more potential jurors were passed for cause or are eligible to serve after questioning by attorneys.

That means just five potential jurors, three women and two men, have been passed through so far and the court needs to seat 40 potential jurors.

One juror broke up the courtroom and O.J. Simpson with laughter.

The woman said Simpson used to sit in front of her at San Francisco 49er football games and when she quipped "and we were both not that old."

The woman added the games may have been in the late 1960s and she would not let the seating arrangement influence her ability to be fair.

1. Annie Kate

With the cast of characters in this case how will we ever know if justice has been served – there is not one person in the incident who is believable. I hope OJ is found guilty but I admit I want that finding because I believe he got away with murder.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 9, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  2. JImmy in California

Well if something happens at my house I will just say OJ did it.

September 9, 2008 at 8:34 pm |
  3. bea

Why are we still talking about this guy? He's old news!!!

September 9, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  4. Nathan Bernstein

I think the poster Bob put it best..."It is going to be hard to find the truth with all the criminals involved in this thing." Yes it is, and OJ is just another criminal in the bunch.

September 9, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  5. m

To D Reaux

Unlawful detainment is regarding landlord tenant law. He is charged with kidnapping because there were guns involved (allegedly). Bascially, you can't hold a gun out and tell someone that they can't leave... that is kidnapping even though you didn't touch them or take them anywhere.

September 9, 2008 at 6:43 pm |
  6. Rob in Atlanta

It is so sad that so many people feel like our system of justice doesn't work. I'm sure OJ has competent lawyers representing him and I personally don't know very many people (maybe none) that would deliberately put an innocent person in jail. I find it almost impossible to believe in this day and age that the prosecution can find 12 people without the strength or character to do the right thing. In other words, the prosecution will have to win their case or they will lose. The nice thing about this case is no one was killed and no one involved would be welcome at my home. But they are all entitled to justice and that is what the courts and jury will decide.

September 9, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  7. Bob

This whole case stinks to high heaven. First of all he is not going to get a fair trial. Secondly if the items were his, which I believe they were he should be able to get them back. Every guy involved was a crook and immediatly turned cooperative with the prosecution. Give me a break.

So if someone steals soemthing from my house and I happen to come across them, I should not try to keep them there until the cops show up to get my stuff back. Keep in mind everyone, this is his sports memorabilia it has a lot of value. He needed that stuff, I am interested how the guys got it in the first place.

Our legal system find him innocent and he is still innocent in this case until he is proven guilty. It is going to be hard to find the truth with all the criminals involved in this thing.

September 9, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  8. Brenda Harris

Right after the murders, A policeman said "He fought a hard fight." That he had the marks on his fist to prove it. Meaning Ron. This is the reason that I cannot go along that OJ killed those people. OJ is an old athlete. Ron was young and Strong. Think about it. He could not have over powered Ron while killing Nichole. What did he wait his turn ?

In Vegas, it was a total set-up because American is set on making him pay for something no one knows for sure happened.

Now that I've said that. I can't sand the man and I don't care what happens to him. He was a sell out to black women.

September 9, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  9. flozelle crosby

Lets face it, O J is ah IDIOT! but locking him up on bogus charges, just because alot of people think he got away with murder 14yrs ago is not the answer. cause it makes our country look vindictive to a person who a JURY said was innocent. and thats what our country is all about. DUE-PROCESS! NOT DUE-PAYBACK!

September 9, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  10. edwin

Well, all i see on this mans trial is some kind of retaliation from his enemies and for different groups with the clear feeling of racial hatred
    because of the doubt on the back of their heads that he killed his wife
    and the very fact that he is a black man he should be punished , i think he should be dismissed and get him out of the point of controversy and racial friction......thnx edwin from TX

September 9, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  11. D Reaux

I confess that OJ is an idiot for not laying low the rest of his life. But I do question the charges when someone tells another you can't leave and it is called kidnapping. I thought that was unlawful detainment. Is there a difference? Why wasn't OJ offered a plea deal against the other 5 defendants? Seems kinda smelly. But he deserves what he gets for putting himself in this situation.

September 9, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  12. bruce

i hope they convict him this time.but dont think they will.

September 9, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  13. Carrie

I just want to wipe the smirk off his face, I guess I would fail on the jury selection.

September 9, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  14. Tammy, Berwick, LA

So how many people have lived under a rock and don't know anything about OJ? Fair and impartial-what a misnomer in this trial (and his last for that matter). Then again, how many people in high profiled cases actually do get a fair and impartial trial? The stats would be interesting to see. Can we say appeal if he isn't acquitted?

September 9, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  15. Vern

OJ's arrogance has caught up with him. Pride always comes before the fall! He won't get away with breaking the law this time. The state won't make the same mistake in jury selection they made in Los Angeles.

September 9, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  16. sandra

it's over oj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 9, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  17. Elan

Is it even possible to find twelve people that do not know about OJ Simpson's murder trial? Everyone is biased in someway. I lived in Europe for three years and everyone knew about OJ Simpson. It's impossible for him to receive a fair trial. Although I am not defending his actions, he probably should be locked up, however I don't see how the trial could possibly be fair.

September 9, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  18. Sarah

If it doesn't fit, you must acquit!

September 9, 2008 at 2:38 pm |