September 9th, 2008

Case of the Mundays on a Tuesday

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee plays the guitar with his band, Capitol Offense, at a party during the RNC-week festivities.

Alyssa Caplan
AC360° Staffer

It’s felt a little quiet at 360° the last couple of days. Not that it’s actually quiet. It's just that there's been so much noise the last couple of weeks, comparatively, it seems quiet.

As I sit at my desk, I wonder if, like me, journalists, politicians, and other conventioneers in offices across the country are looking longingly at the business cards they collected over the last couple of weeks, while pulling rogue streamers and pieces of confetti out of their pockets, muttering to themselves, “the party is over.”

The weird thing is, for anyone who worked at the conventions, (or even made a sport out of watching them and history in the making), it certainly wasn’t all fun and games. It was endless days, swollen feet, hoarse voices, looming fears of hurricanes, and weight gains or losses (depending upon stress coping style). I myself wasn’t technically working at the conventions, but used the time off as a sort of summer enrichment project. Some people follow Phish, I spent the last couple of weeks making my way from the DNC in Denver to the RNC in Minneapolis.

So while I figuratively pick the last flecks of glitter out of my hair, my thoughts turn to some of the characters I met along the way, some of the things my eyes saw…

-The back of Gayle King's (Oprah’s best friend) head. So close to Oprah people! So close, yet so far away.

-The Lobbyist who within seconds of introducing himself to me, informed me that he was a classically trained vocalist and started belting out Sinatra’s My Way (my song choice). Goes beautifully with Kanye’s Gold Digger blaring in the background might I add.

-The young and eager teenagers from Denmark sporting Obama pins wanting to know where they could continue to party. Yes, upon further questioning, they came all the way from Denmark to support Obama and participate in our little old political system – and according to them, their whole country is following this election with equal vigor.

-Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner casually holding court in the corner of a room, talking to various fans/friends.

-Rapper Fat Joe looking not so fat. I told him that. I think he might need to change his name to Phat Joe, or Average Joe. I didn’t tell him that part.

-Gov. Huckabee jamming out on his bass guitar with his band, Capitol Offense. There is something disarming about someone when they’re passionately playing an instrument. Instead of campaigning, maybe he should have just held concerts in key primary states.

-A young unassuming looking protest “bystander” being treated in the ER after being pepper sprayed, solemnly recounting that her curiosity really caught up with her this time.

-Country star Joe Nichols making a surprise guest appearance on stage with Gov. Huckabees band. I have no idea who Joe Nichols is, but the crowd went wild.

-Overflowing emotion in the form of tears, cheers, and passionate displays of patriotism from Dems and GOPs alike.

Here are a few more photos from Denver and Minneapolis:

Kanye West performing at ONE campaign party in Denver.

Run in to Anderson on street. Discuss raise. Goes Brilliantly.

Ben Affleck pretending its not weird to have an audience gather just to watch you talk to other people.

Luke Russert and Jennifer Garner chatting at ONE campaign party.

Country singer Joe Nichols joining Gov. Huckabee's band for a song at a RNC party in Minneapolis.

1. ML

I love this piece.... a celebration of America!

**AND I learned something, too!
    I NOW KNOW people from Denmark are VERY smart !!

September 17, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  2. livingking

I agree with the young and teenagers from denmark supporting Obama, that is to say, the whole world are watching to see what will happens. the world vote is up for Obama with 85% and to John Mc cain with 13%.

Your father can not be speending the family money fighting war and at the same time expect him to give his family they want. think about it people.

September 15, 2008 at 8:32 am |
  3. Wendy

Low the raw retelling of events..nice to learn what really goes on.

September 11, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  4. A-dubs

You are a rockstar! I am still pulling confetti out of my hair...let's go back?

ps. who's the hottie standing next to AC??

September 10, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  5. Phyllis S

Lissa, Loved your discriptions of the Dnc and Rnc Conventions. Your take on the scenes were hilarious. Keep your sense of humor seems as tho' we're going to need it

September 10, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  6. DP

Great job young lady...AC looked a little stiff in that snapshot, he obviously was a little uncomfortable forking over the dough. Anderson better give you that raise or someone else will snap you up.

Be well

September 10, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  7. Miguel

I love hearing about what it's like for you guys behind the scenes. It was a side of the convention I hadn't thought about. And I LOVE the sense of humor of the person who wrote this one.

September 10, 2008 at 2:03 am |
  8. AUNTIE jODY

You are the best, loved the A.C. piece, u keep me laughing!!! xo.
    Miss you.

September 9, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  9. Lauren L

Brilliant Alyssa! Loved your take on the conventions. Wish I could've been there. Best of luck 🙂

September 9, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  10. jason z

I'm saddend that "some of the things your eyes saw" did not inlude:

1. me
    2. GRAMMYs Rock The Convention @ McNamara
    3. me

jaz

September 9, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  11. Aviva

What a great article! Loved reading about your adventures in both Denver and Minne. Keep them coming! By the way, the pics were a great addition. Thanks for sharing.

September 9, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  12. Cannyer

As a mere spectator of the conventions from afar, I actually got the feeling that the party was just starting. Or maybe I'm confusing partying with mud-slinging.

One more thing – I don't know Joe Nichols either, but he's good looking enough that I would cheer for him walking on stage, too.

September 9, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  13. Nikki

This article, and pictures/captions, are great!
    hahahaha

September 9, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  14. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Awesome piece Alyssa. Loved it. I have to say that I could not imagine in 1000 years having to ask Anderson for a raise. Yikes! Not that he would not be nice, but I would be so happy to work for CNN that I would prob do it for free. Anyhow. glad to hear that it went brilliantly and loved seeing the other side of the conventions. Sounds like fun to me.

September 9, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  15. Presley

Denmark is the happiest place to live, according to a study recently.
    That's an impressive non-official endorsement right there.
    Can I get an Anderson cut out like that too? Uh, it's for a "friend".

September 9, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  16. MJ

Funny article and great pictures! Average Joe lol!

September 9, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  17. Suzy Nicodemo

I’m so jealous. I wish I had flecks of glitter to put out of my hair, or whatever type of badge of honor, from the event. This article was hilarious. Loved it!

September 9, 2008 at 11:21 am |