September 5th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Women and Sarah Palin

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

Having a woman on a presidential ticket – no matter the party – is an important, exciting, historic event.

With the nomination of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as John McCain’s running mate, the country exploded with praise, criticism, and more than a few questions.

We want to get to the heart of the debate swirling around the self-described “hockey mom”. When I blogged about Palin earlier this week asking for your thoughts, the questions about whether this mom could do it all - and whether we should even ask that question! - came fast and furious.

On the heels of her acceptance speech Wednesday night, we were off to the all-important swing state of Michigan to talk to an eclectic group of eight women. They are single, married, moms, non-moms, they work outside the home, they stay home with their kids, they are Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and they have big concerns about the future of their country. Is Sarah Palin the woman for them? Are they happy with the reasons John McCain picked her? And is it sexist to ask whether she can juggle the responsibilities of family and country?

The discussion was everything I hoped it would be. It was smart, passionate, civilized and educational. I learned so much form these women – I only wish I could share the full 90 minutes with you! A big thanks to the women who gave up their Thursday night for us. I think you’ll enjoy our panel tonight, and I’m positive these very intelligent women will make you think a little harder.

Filed under: Erica's News Note • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Dream One Day

Erica, I really enjoyed this story. Most of what I'm seeing on CNN has been pro-Palin apple pie stories, but your's asked a cross-section of women their real thoughts. It was very interesting to hear their needs and offer their reasoning for their decisions.Your story was hands-down levels above the mass-approved canned pro-Palin stories that I'm seeing nonstop.

September 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  2. Noe Sancen

don't we get it! McCain is using Sarah for the women s vote!!!

September 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  3. Jeff

Palin = Hitler

and thats the truth...anyone that is for censorship and book banning, taking away those rights of women to choose what to do with their own bodies is the farthest thing from being an American. I am ashamed to be an American this week....regardless of the party, no person with those values should ever be allowed to hold office.

September 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hi Erica!
    I can't wait to hear the panel. I hope it does provoke thought.
    Anyone who kills defenseless animals for fun and wants to exploit this dieing planet is not the candidate for me.
    How embarrassing that this is a woman! We would hope a woman would bring a gentler, kinder society. But alas, this woman does not have a passport so how international can she be if she should heaven forbid, end up President. This is seriously frightening to me.
    I believe that MY candidate needs to in favor of good stewardship to this planet which I consider a miracle and a gift from God.
    Call me silly, but macho Palin does not impress me.
    Thanks!

September 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    In my opinion, I believe I have no right to tell even one woman how she should live her life. My life choices are mine and other women have to decide for themselves what they can and can't do. Happy Friday.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

September 5, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  6. Noe Sancen

If Sarah is corrupted then we need better women vice or president than Sarah we want a first nice women like Hilary but, not Sarah

September 5, 2008 at 9:58 pm |