September 4th, 2008

The Republicans' Last Night

Joe Klein
AC360° Contributor
TIME columnist

As I predicted earlier yesterday, Sarah Palin did just fine.

In fact, she delivered a brilliant speech. It was a classic Republican speech–written by Matthew Scully of the Bush speechwriting shop–chock full of conservative populism, a cultural "torpedo" as Chris Mathews is saying as I write this, aimed directly at Barack and Michelle Obama. She was far more effective, using fewer words than the over-the-top Rudy Giuliani, in tearing down the Obama candidacy. There was not much substance–issues don't matter, remember?–and her description of Obama's policies, particularly his tax policies, was quite inaccurate.

But that hardly matters. Palin established herself as a major-league performer, a very effective messenger for the perennial Republican themes of low taxes and strong defense. And a new theme–government reform–that changes the terrain of the election and will have to be forcefully countered by the Democrats. Obama will have to be every bit as sharp–and down to earth–as he was in his speech last week as this goes forward.

Last week, when Bill Clinton began to speak, I thought: this turns this lugubrious convention around. I thought the same as Palin spoke tonight. John McCain, not nearly the speaker that Palin seems to be, has a tough act to follow tomorrow night.

Read More...

1. Anne in Central FL

A soccer Mom vs Pitbull.....the only difference is lipstick...as Palin stated. I guess she is pround of that speech, which SHE did not write. Pretty sarcastic for a beauty queen...where was her poise? I was "on the fence", but McCain has kissed this election goodbye by this choice for a VP running mate. She proved she is a pit bull. The bottom line is, can she run our country if McCain's health fails or the unthinkable happens? NO, she cannot. She stated she had no interest in Iraq; I guess she does now, since her son is being deployed there. How is anyone going to get her up to speed in less then 60 days on foreighn policy ? I guess she can be a VP, as now she will have a live in nanny and maid....so much for her past life style. I cannot wait for the Biden-Palin debate, that will prove she is NOT qualified, when she has to answer questions on the fly and has no prewritten speech to just read.....Bring it on Beauty Queen !!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  2. D in Missouri

I don't know which show I had switched to late last night, but is this true? Did Palin say that "it was Bristol's choice"? What is Palin's true view of Roe V Wade? If I'm not a relative of Palin, what is "my choice" if the Republican platform gets there way with Roe V Wade?

September 4, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  3. Jan from Wood Dale IL

I was extremely impressed by Sarah Palin's speech last night. I might not agree with her and McCain on all of the issues, but I also have never bought into the Obama hype. I loved the way Gov. Palin pointed out the "stagecrafting" of Obama and his so-called experience.

As a community advocate, I took no offense to her comparing her experience as a small town mayor to that of Obama's being a community organizer. There is a lot of frustration for those who devote time to helping others in their community. But the most sincere do not give up to go to law school, or use their very brief community experience as a major reason to be elected President of the USA.

Gov. Palin packed a big punch wrapped in a velvet glove. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more of her in the days to come.

September 4, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  4. Stephanie

Palin was not attacking anyone. She was doing what most people who have a backbone do, which is defend herself. Palin has been attacked by the media the moment her name was released as McCain's VP. I found her speech to be effective in conveying the fact that Obama does not have the backbone our country needs to keep us safe. America is in danger and I want a leader with a real backbone, who has actually fought in the military for our freedom. Palin even has a son in the Army going to Iraq next month, which speaks volumes about her patriotism.
    Palin is an amazing woman, and the fact that her daughter did not get an abortion proves that. I'm sure many of your daughters have had abortions, but just kept it a big secret. I know many girls from college who never told mom about the abortion.
    When all is said and done, I just want a leader who is not afraid to put up a fight and understands how the armed forces works. As a United States Air Force Captain's wife, I vote for McCain/Palin, who I can count on to play smart and fight for my life.

September 4, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  5. Tammi

I felt that Sarah Palin did a nice speech and had a nice family although I felt the baby should have been left at home. Her speech was well prepared and pretty well delivered, however, she is not running for the Governor of the State of Maryland or the President of your local PTA. Her listing of experience is "impressive" but on a local level only.

As a 35 year old, african american wife and mother of two children, Sarah Palin did not explain to me what her and McCain plan to do to reduce the price of gas and heating oil. What they plan to do about our failing ecomony and the fact that this country is living off the backs of middle class families who make too much to qualify for any assistance and are merely keeping up with the rising costs of utilities and food. I have two Masters degrees and would love to send my two sons to college. Sarah Palin did not tell me what her and McCain plan to do to make college tuition more affordable. As a women, I am also offended that John McCain thought that Sarah Palin was the equivilent to Hiliary Clinton. Not by a long shot!! If anything, Sarah Palin did show me that she knows how to "play the dozens" but if I wanted to watch a show full of jabs and insults, I could have turned on the reality show "Yo Momma" on MTV. Oh and the constant comments against community organizers were insulting since I am a member of a large community service sisterhood. But when you are a self proclaimed "hockey mom" I guess you are a little short on the issues and solutions.............that is until someone writes her next speech.

Oh and to the blogger above who indicated that they were a Hiliary supporter who will now vote for McCain because Sarah Palin is a women, do us all a favor and DON'T VOTE AT ALL. The blogger wrote "I may not agree with some her personal stances but so what? None of us will ever completely agree with any candidate but we are close enough." Close enough hell. She could be an african american women the same age as myself but if she does not represent the issues that affect me and my family and community she does not deserve my support. If you really want to put a woman in the white house, put one in there who knows what the hell she is talking about and practices what she preaches.....but don't get me started on the pregnant teenager.

September 4, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  6. David W, Florida

I flipped over to Fox News this morning. Those guys sounded like morons. The two guys were saying things like Palin was "tough" and "strong" and really did a good job. At what? Contributing to the polarization of America? There are strong and tough people in prison right now and they don't qualify for VP.

The woman on the morning FOX News show (no names to protect the not-so innocent), stated that Palin's speech "touched her". Listening to Palin's speech as a follow up to Mitt and Rudy was like getting kicked in the shin over and over again. Not sure about the rest of America but I don't like being touched like that.

Summed up in one compound word: Klan-Rallyish

September 4, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  7. Larry

Palin's problem is that she isn't black.

September 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  8. Stuart Falk

I would like to know just what books Sarah Palin tried to have removed from her town's public library. Could they be books on evolution? Portnoy's Complaint? I find this to be the most troubling action in her record and hope that Anderson Cooper will track this down. Such censorship is both reprehensible and dangerous. But I'd like to know more before reaching a final conclusion. (Apparently the librarian she tried to have terminated won't talk).

September 4, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  9. ed from alabama

I am a 35 year old from Alabama.- To me the republican convention looks like a new age klan (kkk) meeting who would probably use the "n" word if they could. To me it seems the republicans are so afraid of loosing to a black man , they had to go out and find a white woman, declair her more worthey than anyone and add scandle to cause the ole pity on the helpless white woman trick which has always worked through out history when a black male is involved. She would not be on Mccains ticket if Barak wasnt running for office and everyone knows it.We're not stubid. she didnt even give a good speech. She did just as good as i thought she would -nothing more.If this is what we get if Mccain wins then 'GOD BLESS AMERICA" next time

September 4, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  10. B Nixon

Sarah Palin's speech was a historical speech for the country, as well as Obama's speech. I am a Black American who does not look at race or gender in determining who's best for the country. Racism and Sexism is a personal thing and cannot be cured by electing a Black President or a female Vice-President. Individual issues will not be fix over night or even in four years. But the start is who can best be President and know exactly what the majority is in need of. The economy, better healthcare, this war we are in on Terrorism and how best to deal with it. American pride in the world is another topic no one seems to be talking about. Our dollar looks like a peso. No candidate on the Republican ticket mention this....What will they do...
    I am also a Independent who was a Republican during the Reagan years....and neither party has impressed me...they both still have a lot of work to do to convince me who is best for the job....Not this woman thing, or black thing....Our country is still the best in the world but needs to be manage like a new 21st Century company.

September 4, 2008 at 1:16 pm |
  11. Lester from Huntsville, Alabama

Was I the only one that heard that speech? Its was horrible! All it proved is that Sarah Palin can read from a teleprompter but I still don't know who she actually is. The speech only berated and belittled the accomplishments of Senator Obama. Historically, 'community organizers' have brought together people of common interests to petittion those in power to bring about fair civil rights legislation, the right to vote for women, and much needed change in policies from everything from domestic violence issues to things like child protection laws. In Obama's case, he found his niche in fighting for those on the southside of Chicago affected by the harsh realities of inner-city life and the loss of desperately needed jobs. While Palin was far removed from the realities that confront many Americans by her 'immeasurable' work in the remote town of Wasilla, Alaska....Senator Obama was getting his feet wet working on relevant issues to those who love this country. Later, he would serve in the Illinois State Senate and then as a U.S. Senator. Instead of being the 'attack dog' of John McCain and trying to scare us...she should have spent time discussing how she will contribute in turning around the economic woes created by the Bush/Cheney policy. Besides, she came across as being just plain mean.

September 4, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  12. Ryan Field

I thought she did well. And I thought Rudy did well, too. As a matter of fact I'm making a point of looking up what a community organzier actually does. I know Roland Martin's parents are community organizers, and I'm sure he's very proud of them, but are they qualified to run the country?

I'm starting to wonder why I'm voting for Obama after that speech last night. I guess the next month or so will be interesting.

Oh, and Anderson Cooper, it didn't help when you compared Obama's experience of running a campaign to Palin's experience of running a state. It made you sound a bit amateur; like groping. If you guys are going to help Obama, try to make it more convincing.

September 4, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  13. Sandra Williams, Texarkana, Arkansas

Personally, I am still undecided. I am a woman and do not think that should, or will, have any bearing on my decision. I am looking for the best people to lead our country. I will not do like many blacks, females, Democrats, or Republicans and vote just because they are one of us. We should care more about our country than that.

As for Gov. Palin. Having been been privy to women being passed over because "women just aren't as ruthless as men" mentalities, I'll say from the comments on this article...you're doomed if you are and doomed if you aren't!

I will say that her confident, articulate, flawless delivery, and compossure after days of intense scrutiny, speculation, and even personal attacks were inspiring. Watching her left no one in doubt that she is formidable.

September 4, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  14. David in Lexington

It amazes me to read some of these remarks on this blog. Some, if not all of the Obama supporters actually believe that the Government is supposed to take of them...to provide them jobs, pay their mortgages, provide their health care, pay for their college education and pay their credit card debt.
    If thats what you want then you will be disappointed no matter who gets into office. YOU WHO FEEL THAT WAY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE BITTER AND JEALOUS. It is not the governments role to supply these services. The goverment is to provide infastructure, protection from foriegn invaders and provide a evironment that we can be as succesful as we can possibly be. Quit blaming the government for your own bad decsions or your own lack of initiative or even your own bad luck. Life happens....deal with it.

September 4, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  15. Ivory, a democrat

I saw no unity, I heard no unity. Where is the diverse representation of this country in the republican party. All I saw were old, possibly well off white people. If the republicans are trying to win over the American people, they need to realize that American is a melting pot and they are not soley here alone. I heard nothing that address the issues. All I heard was attacks. They have no solutions. If they are trying to win this election they are doing it all wrong. The constitution says we the people, not we the wealthy. Does the republicans care about anything else besides, money and injecting fear into this country? What about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Not get rich or die trying. Why can we focus on mending our country's economy, healthcare and sure up our borders. I am so angry that this country can't seem to pull it together. The world is probably shaking their heads and waiting to take over. But that won't happen unless we elect Obama/Biden. Come on people get a clue! If you vote in fear you will remain in fear. I live on hope and faith. If you are a person that believe in a higher power other than government, you understand what I am saying.

September 4, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  16. Peg, Canada

I watched the speech and noticed of all the inaccurancies of the speech the lack of any substance. Thought it was a well delivered speech but at times found her a bit too dramatic in pauses and facial expressions and came off as too smug and angry. Couldn't wait until it was over to hear what 'the best political team on television " would say. Almost felt sorry for her thinking about the criticsm I was sure to hear but instead found them to almost as giddy as Cindy McCain appeared to be at end of speech.

September 4, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  17. Dominique

Palin didn't just hit out of the park, she hit a Grand Slam! She has put the democrats on notice. She has skill, smarts, and leadership ability unmatched by anything the democrats have put forth. She resonates with mainstream Americans and rattles the "elitist" left. You go sister!

September 4, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  18. JC- Los Angeles

As an Independent who has listened to Obama over the last four years wax poetic about change only to continually fail to enact any or be called out by the mainstream media, it was so refreshing to see a bright new light take him to task.

Governor Palin seemed to continually articulate that it's one thing to talk about change and an entirely different thing to accomplish it.

Obama has stumped for four years, given speech after speech, accepted book advances, penned momoirs, received questionable real estate deals, failed to change the corrupt, Chicago, political machine, selected old-guard Biden and says he wants to change Washington; huh? say what? he's a Senator in Washington; is he going to throw himself out?

Although it's too early to make judgements on Palin, it's obvious that she shouldn't be taken lightly; if nothing else, she took on the corrupt, Alaska political machine and succeeded.

Perhaps the media will finally show the Governor a little respect, now that would finally be change.

September 4, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  19. Yvonne

Good morning everyone. I watched the RNC last night and I was shocked at what i heard from Mrs. Palin mouth. Let me just say that I am a Travel nurse and also a mother of 4 who is a mom of soccer and hockey and tennis and basket ball and track and my husband is a small town attorney.
    I do not appreciate the way Sarah Palin belittled me and .My family and our friend and coleges last night. this women stood up their and made it perfectly clear to.Everyone that she was a snob whom looks down on people who do not meet her criteria. Well let me inform you and .
    everyone else in your circle you should pray everynight that you do not go to jail for that investigation against you right night. Because me and my family do give back to our community and to those.
    whom are less fortunate than us and we are very happy to do so. I am very happy with the position that.
    I have chosen and for someone whom is not a communty organizer I am think that .
    Obama has done a wonderful job and I am not even a Democrat. She has a 17 year old whom .
    Is following in her own mother's unwed foot steps and she have the odasity to smile give me a break she should. crawl under a rock and never come out but.
    You know what they say the apple dose'nt fall far from the tree this women. Is a joke and I am so furious with what I heard last night I am not happy to say that Iam a Republican.Who do she think she is.

September 4, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  20. Dave

Things are a'changin! The angry left has been outted and judging by the comments here on on the TV, it seems that don't like it very much.

Prior to the RNC, CNN reporters were adamant that the Republicans could not be seen partying, wearing funny hats and doing balloon drops when Americans were being affected by a natural disaster. The GOP absolutely did the right thing on Monday. What did Obama do on Monday? Did anyone happen to see him in Detroit singing "Change, Change, Change" at the autoworkers rally? Holy $#@!, are you kidding me? Not only was he campaigning during the natural disaster (hurricane), he was singing songs and having a great time.

Also, when Obama was flexing his God-like complex in front of the Greek pillars last Thursday, that same hurricane was bearing down on the Gulfcoast. It didn't stop the DNC from partying, wearing funny hats and dropping confetti. Talk about double standard!

I hope the Dems are happy with themselves, they should have had this election wrapped up but they just can't help themselves. Mark my words, the talk for 4 years after this election will be about how the Democratic party let this election slip away. The good thing is that America will be safe and we will prosper.

September 4, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  21. Kency

To Kris-
    I SECOND THAT EMOTION!
    Please Mr. Joe Biden...NO MORE MR. NICE GUY. Please wipe the lipstick of that pitbull' mouth.

September 4, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  22. Kristen-University Park, PA

Palin gave a great speech that had hardly any substance and full of jabs at Obama and democrats. She talked about standing up for middle America but news flash to republicans middle america does not make over $250,000 so Obama is not raising taxes on them. Because of the current republican president middle America is unemployed and are loosing their homes. Palin and McCain are only for folks like them and once she steps outside of the comfort zone of the republican convention she has a rude awakening. Middle america is more than white old men so she as well as McCain need to wake up and start talking to the rest of the people in this country.

September 4, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  23. Kristal

One more thing..the only reason the media praised her so much last night and today is because they been receiving a lot complaints about their negative but true comments about Sarah Palin. So know their feeling guilty!!!!

September 4, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  24. Angel Valenzuela

WOW HOLD THE PHONE AND THE TIERRA

SHe gave a great speech however i would pose these deft questions

1. what is her realtionship to big Oil ?
    2. will her Realtionship with big OIL affect americans the way it has the Last eight years.
    3 Its simple how you handle Palin ... You ask great speech good insults .... how come none of the other candidates in the race are being investigated for ethics violations
    4. What is her world view how will she affect policy , being a family person is great its awesome however ... what will she bring to being a heartbeat away from the oval office
    5. Democracts need to pound home only one sentiment ......
    IS Another 8 Years of the same policies , really what americans need
    6. Does even her " expirence" really even out weigh even Jhon Mccain

Wake up Cnn ...Lately your Coverage has been all Republican all the time

September 4, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  25. Lorraine James

I'm Canadian and I'm watching – scary! Campbell Brown better start appearing more 'neutral', or wear a turtle neck to cover her red neck. Of course Palin would introduce her family – no one knows her. So she has children and she loves them – we all do. I was a hockey mom too, but I would never refer to myself as one because I also had a daughter, and in my eyes, she matters too. I don't like to be compared to a Pit Bull with lipstick because I supported my son in hockey. Please don't start knit-picking about comments such as 'shrill' – if she can attack Obama any way she wants to, then she's fair game. That wasn't her speech – she just did a good job delivering it and that was not without a whole lot of coaching and practice. It was all planned – please – give me a break. As far as I'm concerned, this is a woman with a huge ego – if she didn't have one, then she would have said 'no thank you' to the job offer because she doesn't have the qualifications at this stage in her life.

September 4, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  26. Lou

I was very disturbed when I head Sarah Palin's speech last night and I remain disturbed this morning. I do not understand the mockery, sarcasm and anger towards Barack Obama who has been very gracious to her. I hope that she now understands that the gloves a likely off. I also do not understand why Campbell Brown and Gloria Borger were gushing over the speech. I think that if this ticket of McCain/Palin get in everyone should be very afraid.

September 4, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  27. Kristal

Write me a speech full of things that I have no experience in...hide me from the press for a couple of days so I can rehearse,practice, and prepare...and I can be as convincing as Gov. Palin was last nite and I'm just an elementary teacher!! Anyone can read the prompters and memorize empty criticism attacks and pretend to know about some of the issues she spoke on last night!!! I'm not buying it Palin!!!

K. Carey

September 4, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  28. Amal Guevin

This wonderful woman was introducing herself to America last night! If she didn't comment on every point and nuance that might concern the average American, so what? You can't cover it all in one speech. There will be plenty more to come. You can only take so much of Oblah-blah bama droning on for hours and saying nothing but the the word change 9000 times. At least Palin was clear, concise, interesting and left me wanting to hear more. The positions on issues will follow now but I feel I know more about this more modern Republican platform than I do after months of Obama talking talking talking about ? I am a lifelong Dem but without Hillary Clinton there is nowhere to go but McCain/Palin. And I'm feeling pretty good about that today!

September 4, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  29. Larry

How dare the republicans say anything mean about our democratic candidate. Barack has shown his ability to command and lead our nation during threats to our country. Barack was in New York carrying babies to safety during 9/11; he also organized people to go in and search for survivors. He didn't have to do those things, but as an american he knew no alternative.

God bless Barack Obama; what would we do without him? Let us pray to him for being God's representative on Earth.

September 4, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  30. Ted

Good article Joe, as usual. I enjoy reading your usually even-handed assessments. People here confuse a good speech with one that tells them what they already wanted to hear. She did everything she needed to and demonstrated why McCain picked her. She attacked Obama's strengths, fought back against charges leveled against her and laid out how they would govern.

For those that say McCain is Bush, then why did he differ with him on the conduct of the war, treatment of POWs, immigration and other areas? Why is it that McCain, who reformed campaign finance, is sticking within the limits he instituted, but Obama is not?

I don't agree with Palin on a lot of the issues, but I believe she and McCain "get it" far more than the two lawyers on the other ticket. We want low taxes, we want our country to not run from it's commitments, we want to be able to afford to drive our cars and heat our homes.

Vote for change, don't just hope for it.

September 4, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  31. Cat

It's interesting that she left out of her speech her positions on the environment and wildlife.

Doesn't it bother anyone that Palin supports the aerial shooting of wolves in her state? Nobody is questioning the fact that she offered incentives of $150 to those hunters who killed wolves and turned in the body parts of them. Forget the fact that wolves are a federally protected species and are endangered.

The more I read about Palin the less I'm starting to like her. When the federal government wanted to put a ban on the killing of wolves she opposed it. She's wanting to kill the wolves in order for hunters to have more caribou to hunt. In other words, she wants humans to kill off the wildlife instead of allowing the wolves to have their kill and survive. She's also pressed for the killing of polar bears as well which have already had many parts of their habitat destroyed due to global warming.

With her passion for destroying the environment and the extermination of wildlife, is this the person we really want as a heart beat away from the presidency? When she was first chosen to be the VP candidate, I thought McCain had made a good selection but after hearing about her support of killing the wolves, polar bears and other endangered species I have real doubts about her. The media needs to question her on stuff like this.

September 4, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  32. Sara Boyte

How can we, knowing what we know about Palin, even entertain her endeavors or faults. If you just read the NY Times, Wm. Yardley article
    dated 9-2-08, it is clear that she is the closest thing to facism we have
    seen in the U.S. political arena. Facism, means imposing state control over all aspects of life, and integrating religion-military-economic and governmental control in the breath of America for the sake of all. A German friend of mine, said that they had to take a course in facism in high school and college to see it coming if it ever reared it's head again. He also said, " that we as Americans have not seen it coming for the past eight years, nor do we now, it came in like a fog and no one even noticed." The Republicans are good at winning
    elections, but they can not manage the Country.

September 4, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  33. La Tanya Henry

Anderson,

Why do the Republicans always stretch the truth (lie)? Sarah Palin speech was mostly lies about Obama and her so call experience, after her speech last night I did a little research on her and the real facts. CNN should stop covering up the GOPS lies and tell people the truth about Mc Cain and Palin.

September 4, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  34. michele

Ms. Palin did the job she was supposed to do so Hooray for women.
    I want our politicians and rockstars to be on higher ground. I think the name calling and putting us in the big city little city divide and the lying by ommision are down in the dirt and not tin the shiny city on the hill.

September 4, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  35. Saad, NJ

Wow!

I respect all four candidates for what they have done in their capacity for our country. However, due to the fact that 'what' we have been through in the last 8 years, I want Obama and Biden to be our leaders – in hope for them to get us out of the downward slope we have experienced. But I must say that Palin should now take the 'gifted speaker' title from Senator Obama and have it all to herself. Wow!

On a less important note, I think Carl Rove wrote her speech..... LOL!

September 4, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  36. shari

Is everyone just sitting back and letting this “wag the dog” moment play out? First, McCain picks a transparently flawed VP candidate who contains specific qualities he wants to exploit. He then manipulates the media to get the surprise moment he wants, vetting be damned. Journalists momentarily behave like actual journalists and investigate her background, during which valid concerns are raised. The McCain camp follows with an orchestrated attack on the “liberal media” claiming sexism. Journalists cave to the phony attack overnight and fall right back in line with the preferred McCain narrative – retracting the facts and enthusiastically validating this rash decision by universally declaring McCain’s camera-friendly ingénue an embodiment of Mother Theresa, Ronald Reagan, and Working-Class Hero all rolled into one. Do you seriously think the McCain camp is going to risk tarnishing their shiny new marketing tool by allowing her to be scrutinized by the voting public? Or, "rolled out" as you put it? Hell no. After all, they already set up the media as America’s enemy. We are all blindly racing to the finish line with this one, folks. Unless of course, the media decides to grow a pair and do its job for the sake of the country.

For the record, I’m one of those working moms that this “maverick” P.O.W.-M.I.A. ticket was hoping to appeal to.

September 4, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  37. Joseph

I am so disapointed in the GOP VP last night, she have shown me the the GOP is using the same play book and after listening to the VP last night I am wondering who's word were those.
    I t wanted her to come out and speak from the HEART, instead she sound like a tipically politician and the hold family thing of a eighteen year wanting the get married to her daughter is totally crazy. I don't care if her daughter is pregnent, eighteen year old's are still discovering life and wanting to get married is not one them and I truly believe that situation is all for SHOW.
    GOP I am done, I am moving on to something different, eight year is enough.

September 4, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  38. Victoria

I say the lipstick wearing barracuda needs to take her old bulls and go play out in the Alaskan wild. After lastnight's episode of
    'Mean Girls" , you can now officially call me an "Obama Mama"!

September 4, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  39. Amal Guevin

Sarah Palin was fabulous! I am a Dem but without Hillary Clinton my vote will now be going to this ticket. In response to some things I've been reading......Biden is just envious so pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Palin reads a teleprompter just as well as Obama and Biden, but more believeably and naturally. She has plenty of substance as well as relating in a personal way. She has a firm prescence but is approachable. She is supposed to comment forcefully on her opponents. If she didn't they would now be complaining that she was a wimp... I loved her clear, concise way of speaking that made sense of issues. What she talked about was true. I may not agree with some her personal stances but so what? None of us will ever completely agree with any candidate but we are close enough. She was principled and followed thru IN THE REAL WORLD with actions that apparently both men and women in her state are very happy about. Other governors have been president or VP so why not Palin? AND if Obama is SO against attacks on family, THEN CALL OFF THE ATTACKS ON PALIN! He can mouth off all he wants about how unacceptable it is but then lets his attack demons loose, thinking it won't reflect on him. HA!

September 4, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  40. Michelle

I feel like I am watching " The Wizard Of Oz " when it comes
    to the Republican convention. I am talking about the part
    when Dorothy sees what is behind the curtain and the so-called
    wizard tries to get her to ignore the man behind the curtain.
    The Republicans seem to what us to believe in Neverneverland.
    As though current problems in this country that happened during
    the Bush Administration is just our imagination and never really
    happened.

This time around voters are hip to the game. Palin was preaching
    to the choir. Jon Stewart did an excellent segment on the daily
    show with clips of commentators and pundits when it came to
    HRC and some of the language used by the talking heads. It
    was very revealing as to how the tv news is being played. When
    will tv news say enough ? Issues facing America are not being
    talked about. Please stop the spin. Americans deserve better.

September 4, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  41. Tom - Minnesota

Best comment I've heard post-speech

"Mrs. Palin needs to be reminded that Jesus Christ was a community organizer and Pontius Pilate was a governor."

September 4, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  42. Dave

Where were the insults in her speech? Whenever a fact is brought up about a Dem's record or history, somehow it is construed as an insult. This is nothing but a typical denial reflex; when you can't respond with substance, just pawn it off as an insult.

By the way, what happen to CNN's FLOOR NOISE METER? They displayed it on the left side of the screen during the DNC, but it is mysteriously missing from the RNC. Last night's cheering probably would have rendered it inoperable anyways!

Doesn't seem fair and biased to me!

September 4, 2008 at 12:23 pm |
  43. Carol Bounds

It will be interesting to see how Palin does when it come to debating. First and foremost, she needs to do her own home work. (WHAT SHE SAID ABOUT OBAMA POLICIES AND PARTICULARLY HIS TAX POLICIES WAS NOT ACCURATE. As far as I am concerned, Palin has a long way to go.

September 4, 2008 at 12:23 pm |
  44. Martha

You know, I really do hope the Republicans win this election so that the living hell we've lived through during the last 8 years will continue for the next 4. A pretty face, a made up smile and a speech written by some political speechwriter choosing the words everyone wants to hear and Republicans are going ga-ga. Wake up America, remember the last 8 years of critical issues. Do you really believe a Hockey mom and a POW can solve our problems. If McCain's service is so memorable and everyone is so indebted to him for his bravery, why hasn't He been honorbale enough by becoming the driving force to obtain better mental health care and veteran welfare for his fellow soldiers. It seems to me I have heard the majority of veterans speak out about the dire oportunity and healthcare problems for years. McCain has been in the senate for more years then neccessary and I don't see him advocating for a plan that will help his fellow veterans all the Iraq war veterens when they return either. To me he's a bunch of crock. And as for the Hockey MOM, whom he just met once and her supposed popularity was so widespread as being the best governor of the nation and yet so many never heard her name until last week. AHHH, but she's so mommy. I wonder where she gets the time to be such a role model. I have a daughter who has five children and between her military career, juggling time between husband housework , University and career, she hardly has time for herself and many other things in life. Yet Palin has time to be a Hockey mom, a PTA member, a government official, an advocate for many issues, a role model, executive , etc. etc. and be great at all. To be in control of all, herself her husband and five kids included with such great results to the modern woman with so many challenges means you need to walk-over-water or be a miracle worker and she is neither. Also, it seems to me when a daughter gets pregnant out of wedlock there are bad signs around what happened. Either she made her choice from rebellion, lack of attention, lack of identity, loneliness or lack of knowledge about sex. As the good mom Palin is portraying herself to be, she should have caught some signs that her daughter was in trouble. If she had no time to catch this one, imagin how many will go down the drain if she should God forbid become president.

September 4, 2008 at 12:21 pm |
  45. fran

I'm glad the Republican ticket has finally taken off their gloves.
    Seems to me that every time Obama is criticized, his handler’s claim foul. Let’s talk about the issues is their answer to anything that highlights his shortcomings. Guess The D party doesn't get to run the R Party campaign.
    The old “chicken in every pot” Democratic platform is just slicked up to get as many people as possible to depend on the Good Graces of the Good Folks in Washington. Of course, to remain in Good Grace you have to continue to vote for the “chicken in every pot” Good Folks in Washington.

September 4, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  46. Otistine

I think she is a bright articulate woman and I don't have any qualms whatsoever about her running for VP but what I do have a problem with is her snide, insulting and demeaning way of speaking. She sounds a lot like a bitter hockey mom who holds tight to her religion and guns.

September 4, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  47. Paula

Wow! The RNC last night was something. The verbal punches and blows, the cheering at cutting remarks. The cowboy hats and limited diversity…I was waiting for rifles, hound dogs and nooses.

I think the republicans went way over the top to make Palin seem tough or like the attack “dawg” (Go Georgia Bulldawgs…smile)
    Seriously after the democratic convention I felt a love of country, unity, hope…much more positive over all.

With the republican convention I feel like it is back to politics as usual. Here come the cutting remarks and ugliness again.

With the remarks of the media after the democratic convention that democratic didn’t attack McCain. I thought then. This is different. It’s not more of the same. Politics can be about the issues and not as ugly as it has been in the past. I can believe when someone says they want to change the way politics are done by not being nasty to the other side and actually doing it. The democratic have reminded me of gentlemen in their actions.

The republicans have attacked and done a masterful spin job. More of the same politics, the reason why I believe many Americans have not wanted to be a part of the political process. Republicans really look like more of the same behind a new face.

September 4, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  48. Shannon

At the RNC, Sarah Palin and the Repubican Party have reached new lows and revealed themselves as the nastiest, most divisive, most immoral, most angry, most exclusive, most sneaky, most dishonest and most corrupt lot of people in American politics. They don't have any plans to help Americans, but are instead appealing to the worst qualities in humans – prejudice, fear, self-doubt, competition and selfishness – to win the election.
    The malice in Palin's speech was horrifying. That begs the following questions: What does she have to be so angry about? Has she lost her home due to foreclosure? Has she been laid off from her job (yet)? Has she been denied health care coverage? Have terrorists threatened a major city in her state? Has she been denied a legal matrimony? Has her family been stalked by immigration officials? Has she been the victim of a predatory student loan? Does she have high interest credit cards that she can't pay? Has her government put her son in danger by sending him to an unjust war (oh, right, yes – she can have that one). So, she can keep gritting her teeth and spewing venom - I am not falling for it, and I hope most of America won't, either. The Democrats will surely welcome all the voters that she and her frightening comrades have scared away from the GOP.

September 4, 2008 at 12:09 pm |
  49. David in Lexington

I liked Sarah's speech...I believe she did what she was supposed to do and that was shine the light on the ridiculous rhetoric coming from the Democratic party of today. She also went after the obvious bias' of the main stream media which is something that is a specific irritation to me. As I watch Mr. Cooper and his like minded colleagues I can't hardly contain the urge to scream at the TV. The other evening on 360 when Mr. Cooper interviewed B.H. Obama, he deliberately set up the question insinuating that McCain and Palin's trip to the gulf was not prudent and that it was for a photo-op which of course B. H. Obama picked up on. Then when he asked Obama, how he responds to the "Republicans" stating that Palin has more experience, he let Obama get away with stating that Palin was/is the Mayor of a small town and had 50 people working for her with a budget of 12 million dollars a year. Mr. Cooper never corrected the Senator as he should have by saying that Ms. Palin is the Governor of a state and has over 24,000 employees and has an annual budget of over 12 Billion. I have to ask ...Why? That is such an obvious question to ask....why didn't you ask it Mr. Cooper? When Obama said that running his campaign was enough "executive experience" to be President of the US...you let that slide as well....no questions about that at all. I wonder what his campaign manager does since Obama is so busy running his own campaign. As a voter I would have appreciated that type of questioning. But, alas I know I will never hear any type of those questions from you Mr. Cooper or from any of your like minded colleagues.
    The Dems and their media friends have been making comment about Sarah's counter punches...yes I said counter punches. She only responded to criticisms and attacks that were launched by the Dems or their cronies in the media yet she has been vilified for it. She also commented on some of the actual statements that have been made by Biden, Obama, Reid and others....yet the media and the Dems called her sarcastic. Interesting....

September 4, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  50. Trisha

I'm a female registered Democrat, in the same age/race category the Republicans are hoping to cross-over to the Republican vote.

Guess what, It worked. Never do I remember feeling so strongly about any candidates. It's how I'd imagine being towards the Kennedy's, had I been born and old enough to vote.

In the past I have looked to examples for "True Democracy" from the Democratic party and had found some, a time ago (Carter had it), but not now. It's more than apparent that "True Democracy" is now in the hands of these two Republican candidates.

When the true focus is on the people and bringing what is right for the country it comes across purely genuine as it did in last night's convention.

Before, I was uncertain whether to even vote for president, for the first time ever. Now I haven't a doubt!

It no longer is about Republican or Democrat ... it's about what the people need.

Skeptical of old Republican ways, I see Change and Reform and a good cleaning of the government and unrighteous spending, among many other things that need fixed.

September 4, 2008 at 12:00 pm |