September 4th, 2008

The Republicans' Last Night

Joe Klein
AC360° Contributor
TIME columnist

As I predicted earlier yesterday, Sarah Palin did just fine.

In fact, she delivered a brilliant speech. It was a classic Republican speech–written by Matthew Scully of the Bush speechwriting shop–chock full of conservative populism, a cultural "torpedo" as Chris Mathews is saying as I write this, aimed directly at Barack and Michelle Obama. She was far more effective, using fewer words than the over-the-top Rudy Giuliani, in tearing down the Obama candidacy. There was not much substance–issues don't matter, remember?–and her description of Obama's policies, particularly his tax policies, was quite inaccurate.

But that hardly matters. Palin established herself as a major-league performer, a very effective messenger for the perennial Republican themes of low taxes and strong defense. And a new theme–government reform–that changes the terrain of the election and will have to be forcefully countered by the Democrats. Obama will have to be every bit as sharp–and down to earth–as he was in his speech last week as this goes forward.

Last week, when Bill Clinton began to speak, I thought: this turns this lugubrious convention around. I thought the same as Palin spoke tonight. John McCain, not nearly the speaker that Palin seems to be, has a tough act to follow tomorrow night.

Read More...

1. FR

Shouting, taunting and sarcasm is all I heard. They got the base all fired up. Atleast now Sen. McCain wont loose in a landslide. He will now going to get votes from his own party. Question is how independents and Reagan democrats took it?

They would have taken it really well if there was some red meat for then as well and not just for the base. By red meat here I mean the talk about the plans related to actual issues. Unfortunately there was not a single line in all the speeches about how they will tackle the economic problem that their administration now has created. Let alone the talk about the pla, I doubt if they even agree that there are issues. I heard none of the big speakers like Romney, Huckabee, Guiliani, and Palin even mention the trillions of dollars of defecit we are facing. The housing crises. The drop in earning. The rise in unemployment rate for women. The healthcare issue.

If they do have a plan then why are they so scared to talk about it. Is it because inorder to do that they will have to accept that their current policy has failed. If republic party was an individual then I would have said be a big man/woman. Accept your mistake and present your plan to rectify it.

September 4, 2008 at 11:58 am |
  2. pierre

I think Gov. Palin gave a great speech last night. I think she did what we thought she had to. Question though. What do we know about her today that we didn't know about her on Monday? We already knew she was a Mayor of a small town and the sitting Gov. of Alaska. we knew she has 5 kids. We could read about her parents on her wikipedia page. What we did learn is that she represents partisian politics as usual. How can your"coming out" speech be so light on issues. How can she belittle anyones experience knowing the challenges and questions that were asked of her. the Obama campaign never questioned her experience. They questioned Sen. McCains judgement. Obama went through the rigors of the primary season. debates and the media vetting him. The internet posted all kinds of things about him. From him being muslim to taking the oath of office on the Koran. Why should anyone, especially Obama supporters now feel sorry for her plight. Her speech was filled with one liners perfect for a coomedy club, not a political convention. she even took shots at Michelle Obama. the negative tone of her speech was amazing to me. If she is the party's future it looks like there will be more than 8 years of the same old Washington ways. Even if they come from Alaska.

September 4, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  3. Lisa, Missouri

Sarah Palin didn’t earn this! This was handed to her on a silver platter literally- simply because she’s a woman! John McCain is obviously using her for his purpose. And I don’t know what her motives are for accepting. Sarah Palin is not Hillary Clinton, Hillary has earned this right! Hillary will be the first woman for President in 2012 she represent so much more than Palin could ever bring. Palin can not take Hillary’s place in the hearts of the people nor will she work hard for those things Hillary stand for.

September 4, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  4. Joyce Spies- Wilmington, Ohio

Sarah was excellent. We are so excited to have someone like her as V.P.. We were going to vote for Bob Barr, but are strongly leaning towards Mccain-Palin. Together it can & will work. People attacking her daughter (media), it's because they are afraid of Sarah. The issue of having kids, most couples have to work, no option, & being so she is doing our country a favor by agreeing to accept the nomination. Also let's degrade & harpoon males with children & treat them the same equally. We were looking into independents until along came Sarah & others also looking into independents know together they are great for our country. They are the ones to help our childrens future. The media is trying to control & decide who will win & it won't work.

September 4, 2008 at 11:54 am |
  5. Lisa, Missouri

McPalin just committed POLITICAL SUICIDE yoking up with McSame and McBush. What a waist no one will ever trust her after this!

September 4, 2008 at 11:50 am |
  6. Lisa, Missouri

Anderson
    Sarah Palin is a JOKE! And the Republican Party is down right ugly in all its way. They are selfish hateful and at the same time tries to come across as good people who care. All they care about is self.

Sarah Palin showed her true colors last night. She bragged and was happy to talk about how she fired the Chief at the governor’s office. Did she even consider that the Chief (an American Citizen) has a wife and children of his own to support. I felt so sorry for the Chief and I don’t even know him. The Rep doesn’t see anything wrong with people loosing their jobs. Her first opportunity to show herself to the world and truly showed her true colors- So sad!!!

September 4, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  7. Paula

Wow! The RNC last night. The verbal punches and blows. The cheering at cutting remarks. The cowboy hats and limited diversity...I was waiting for rifles, hound dogs and nooses.

I think the republicans went way over the top to make Palin seem tough or like the attack "dawg" (Go Georgia Bulldawgs...smile)

Seriously after the democratic convention I felt a love of country, unity, hope. Much more positive over all.

With the republican convention I feel like it is back to politics as usual. Cutting remarks and ugliness.

With the remarks of the media after the democaratic convention that democratics didn't attack McCain. I thought then. This is different. It's not more of the same. Politics can be about the issues and not as ugly as it has been in the past. I can believe when someone says they want to change the way politics are done by not being nasty to the other side and actually doing it. The democratics have reminded me of gentlemen in their actions.

The republicans have attacted and done a masterful spin job. More of the same politics, the reason why I believe many Americans have not wanted to be a part of this political process. Republicans really look like more of the same behind a new face.

September 4, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  8. Melissa, Los Angeles

Palin's a Communications/Journalism major and was a reporter which explains her mic skills. The fact that your article points out that she and McCain have differing views on global warming, tax increases and pork (which she has received MILLIONS of dollars for her little town) makes me wonder how in the world can they work together? I've been listening to KFI the past few days and agree with a lot of the hosts that neither McSame or Obama are appealing. Why do we always have to pick the lesser of two evils?

That is so sad to know $2000 in disposable income has been lost during the Bush presidency. Makes the $600 rebate seem like nothing.

September 4, 2008 at 11:45 am |
  9. Cathy Smith

I would just like to see an unbiased analysis of the facts vs claims of what her speech was about. I think it was very "untrue and non factual" which really is a shame, coz if we are electing these people we should be able to expect that they are telling the truth and not just trying to get elected. As a ,atter of fact it would be nice to see analysis of lies and non truths told by all these major speakers on these conventions, that would be nice, whether republican or democrat,,,,,,,
    It seems that a while back this was about issues, now its abt hwo to get to white house, it was about the people of america, now its abt me myself and I as a politician.......

September 4, 2008 at 11:44 am |
  10. Tina in AZ

Klein and all the analysts at CNN,

For the love of all that is holy....hold the Repubs to the same standard that you have held the Democrats! During the DNC Convention you guys were obssessed with hearing the specifics from Obama about his plans. Now the RNC is STILL blathering about 9/11 and engaging in out and out lies to tear down their opponents and have yet to propose a single solution to the very real problems facing the country. You should be demanding policy details from them just as you did from the DNC.

September 4, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  11. Fay, CA

Palin and her prepared speech may have impressed or fooled a few pundits and reporters but I certainly hope the American people who are fed up with the Republicans and their cynical, divisive brand of politics saw through this act. There was nothing in Palin's speech that addressed what the Republicans plan to do to improve the economy, instead we got a cheap and despicable attack on community organizers. Palin's speech gave no indication that she is qualified to be VP or that she'd be capable of stepping into the role of President should something happen to McCain. I hope that CNN/AC360 will do a thorough fact check of Palin and McCain's speeches as was done with Obama's last week. Since Palin has characterized herself as a pitbull with lipstick, the door is now open for Obama and Biden to go after her full force–the upcoming debates, where she won't be assisted by teleprompters and speech writers, will be the true test of this campaign for Palin.

September 4, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  12. Nekol

I just wanted to cry this morning. She is just as bad as all the “ole boys”… and I have never supported Hillary but I do feel she has been cheated, she worked really hard and spent a lot of money and got a lot of votes and lost very respectably, and this woman just gets handed the veep slot, what the **** is wrong with this country? I have been supporting Obama from the start and will continue to, I just pray to God that he gets in there and community services us all out of this crazy mess!

September 4, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  13. jamie

I feel that Sara Palin did an ok speech for an ameteur I felt that she could have been a lot stronger with her speech.Her speech showed nothing but just telling about herself over and over again.I feel like how is she going to help me just talking about an energy plan and war people need more than just an energy plan.We need money,food,lower taxes,jobs,homes,healthcare plan for us and the senior citizens.If she wants to clinch this election she needs to come stronger and more harder.I just wasn't feeling it.In my opinion Obama and Biden got them beat.

September 4, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  14. Judi Stabler

Palin can give speeches from now until November, she can talk about how tough she is and what a "reformer" she is. She can talk about her experience and throw ugly mud clumps of sarcasm at the Democrats. She can tell all the women that she's going to make history for them and many may believe and follow. But the truth is, John McCain has already set the expectations for her – he stated the VP has two responsibilities; cast a tie vote and check on the well being of the president on a daily basis. What a slap in the face to all the women that think history is being made! Do you think Biden would accept being VP under those circumstances? I think not.

September 4, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  15. Nnanna Onukogu

CORRECTION

Prior to Palin being asked by McCain to be his VP, she was interrogated by the media to know if she had any interest for such a high office and she openly and clearly denounced having any interest for such a high office. I guess she never predicted what would have turned out as we now see with McCain's self centered decision to pick her as his VP. But check this out, what now makes her interested or prepared to assume such a high office. Her speech is absolutely pointless. It doesn't reflect any dedication for country but the usual republican ego. She openly denounced interest for such a high office. I believe she thought there wasn't any possibility of her being considered for VP position though her name was on the list and she went ahead denouncing having any interest in it. Now she all of a sudden is ready. Look people do not be fooled, think wisely. At least Obama showed interest to serve though he was running with the so-called "Experienced line of qualified candidates", he emerged favored because he ran with dignity and interest to serve. Unfortunately, no matter how honest he tries to play his role as commander in chief there are downfalls for everyone who assumes sucn an office. He can't just eliminate the entire white house cabinet that opposes reflective change though he can apply some changes as promised because his commander in chief. However the point am trying to make here is that Obama would deliver better results than McCain who has continued to run an ego centered negative campaign that he openly objected to, presenting himself as the 'PERFECT MAN" for the job. Folks let me tell you, McCain knows that if he ever fells to realize victory at the end of this hostile campaign, then his history to ever run again. Therefore he would go to any length to achieve his set goal. His greed has driven him to the lengths of picking Palin whom he never intended to pick as his VP but due to possible fears of him loosing to a more decent campaigner as Obama he decided to do anything and I mean anything it takes to realize victory. People just think well before you choose your candidate. However if is me, I would go with Obama. This man has good intentions for this country just dont elude that honest child like truth. History has told and showed us that experience does not mean good intentions but decency and truth can deliver excellent results at the end of all confusions.

September 4, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  16. Anyah

I'm not familiar with this writer but I am absolutely love him!!!!!!Sarah Palin's speech was exactly what this writer said it was.. Although I dont think some of the people who commented on this article got it. He pointed out all the contradictions and misinformation that this Palin chick gave. He did it briliiantly since the chick was complaining about the media coverage toward her. I saw her mouth moving but nothing releveant came out of it. I would have loved to hear her explain why she she cut the budget 67% for special needs program but now that she has a special need child, we the american people with special need children can depend on her. I mean really, who does this Palin broad think she is better yet how stupid does she think we are??

September 4, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  17. Tim Evenen

All that is required to be elected as Vice-President is to be a born-in-America 35 year old without a felony record. All of this discussion about her executive experience will not leave room for a full discussion of the issues.

Arguments can always be made about a candidate’s record of performance but I believe the larger issue will remain to be what criteria did John McLean, and his staff, use to make the selection of Palin. This is a key indication of how he will make other appointments (to the Supreme Court, to his cabinet, etc., etc.).

If Obama/Biden use this as a key in the debates, in their campaign speeches, etc., I do not believe that a good answer for this action can be made by McLean/Palin. With only 60+ days left in the election time management of discussing the issues, the differences between Obama and McLean, needs to be fully discussed.

September 4, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  18. Aileen Webb

I hear you all comment how great she was, but all she did was "Score Brownie Points". She did not touch on the issues that is affecting the masses of American today. We need to hear about what the Republican will do about the failing school system, the failing health care system., the job market, the housing market. Clearlt her sole intention was to personally attack Obama and not comparing and contrasting solutions of the issues. What did she mean when she says Obama is not one of us? Isn't he an American like Palin.. this shows how devisive Republicans are. Americans will certainly make a huge mistake if McCain wins the Presidential election. Many more will be homless and out of job and millions will be living on welfare because that is the goal of the Republican. That is a way of keeping killing the spirits of minority for centuries in this country.

September 4, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  19. Gary Chandler in Canada

If it is true she was a member of a political party in Alaska who wants to separate from from the USA USA USA, HOW could she survive THAT,,, politically???
    All Biden has to do in a debate with her is bring up questions McCain would ask her in a debate!!!
    McCain and Palin are DIVIDED on
    *abortion in rape and incest cases
    *birth control for teens and women over 40
    * funding for pro choice groups
    * sex education in schools
    oil drilling in Parks
    * Alaska as part of America
    * shooting polar bears from planes
    A Palin – McCain debate would be LIVELY

September 4, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  20. charles

There is been alot of confusion at the republican convention. 1st: 2 days ago they were talking about how republicans and democrats should be united for a better country and yesterday they were provoking them by trying to make them look inferior to republicans; 2nd: 2 days ago they were talking about withdrawal soldiers from iraq, then yesterday Palin was talking about her son going to Iraq pretty soon. I feel like Mac cain's strategy is to get to the white but with not real political goal that would help the country, furthermore the use the naivety of American citizens to reach their goal. For example you only hear their supporters say, "we vote for Mc cain and palin because she is great working mother" but you never hear them talk about how she would help the country.

September 4, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  21. Kathy, Andover

So you're basically impressd by BS? I thought your criteria was higher than that!

September 4, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  22. karen-phoenix

Anderson: She gave a pep rally to the very rich! What happened to jobs, education, health care, global warming, alternative fuels? We are at a crisis point in the history of this country. The working class in this country has been the back bone of its history and rise to power. If this "cheerleader and the old man" get in we can say good by to the American middle working class and eventually the rich will have no to do their bidding for them. We will slide into a third world country and China, Russia or even Iran will become world leaders. Iran is not doing to badly by their people. They have national health care, retirement programs. State universities are free. We do not hear about this. The country of Iran is really, really doing well. I have friends from Iran and they are studing here but will not stay. They truely think this country is falling apart and will implode. The roads, subdivision, shopping centers are all very nice and well maintained. NO HOMELESS! WE in the US are doing something very wrong and we have left the working class in this country to fall apart because of this attitude I saw last night. And I was a republican in DuPage County IL for over 40 years!!! NO MORE.

September 4, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  23. Matt

I’ve been on the fence, waiting to see what happens at each convention; but, I’ve now made up my mind.

I thought that perhaps John McCain would select a moderate running mate, someone who would appeal to moderate Republicans, Democrats, and Independents, not another right-wing conservative. The Republican party is “packaging” this campaign for moderates, with lots of rhetoric that suggests that they’re putting our country first; however, look at what they’re doing and listen closely to what they’re saying. The selection of Sarah Palin is for the right-wing of the party – what it says is, be patient, this talk of reaching across the aisle and reform is only temporary, down the road it will be business as usual. Politicians like Sarah Palin are the future of the Republican Party, moderates are a dying breed. I don’t see how her selection helps us change the tone in Washington and break from the right-wing ideology that’s lead us down the wrong path.

We’ve heard this before. Do you remember when George Bush said he’d change the tone in Washington, that he’d reach across the aisle to get things done, that he was a “compassionate” conservative? Sounds pretty moderate right? But what actually happened? Look at where we are.

I was willing to give John McCain a chance. I voted for him when he was running against Bush eight years ago; however, John has steadily moved to the right ever since, which has made me skeptical. Now it’s become quite a bit clearer where his true allegiance is. McCain may have his own ideas, but the same cast of right-wing characters are working behind the scenes to continue business as usual – just as soon as they can pull another one over on the American people.

I’ve had enough, I’m throwing 100% of my support to Barack Obama.

September 4, 2008 at 11:18 am |
  24. Stacy

So her speech was quite inaccurate, but that doesn't matter? Unbelievable.

It will, obviously, be crucial for Obama and Biden to make clear the inaccuracies in her speech–and her relentless mischaracterizations of Obama's positions, especially taxes.

Funny, once upon a time this was the job of journalists.

September 4, 2008 at 11:17 am |
  25. Marcy Samoiloff

Republicans cry hands off of Palin's children.
    As reported in todays edition of the San Diego Union Tribune
    In 1998 Chelsia Clinton was the butt of this joke:

Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
    Because Janet Reno is her father.

And the joker? None other than John McCain

September 4, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  26. Maureen in California

Keep it up Palin!! You are alienating the Republicans even more from the millions of people that depend on "Community Organizers" to do the job that the Republicans failed to do for the middle class over the past eight years. Can't wait for the debates! You will actually have to ANSWER questions that your campaign boyz' have been dodging for you over the past few days. Go Obama!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  27. Jim

I watched Larry King last night after the Sarah Palin's speech. Larry had three angry liberal woman spouting how bad Palin did and no right wingers at all to counter them. The landslide of votes that will come from middle America is going to be a complete shock to the left.

September 4, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  28. Penny Howell

I, too, am appalled at what I heard last night! It is clear that the Republicans are only concerned with smearing Senator Obama rather than dealing with the issues. They must have missed the part in his speech last week where he said it isn’t about him.

In that vain, I am personally offended by Palin’s remarks and the fact that she is a woman offends me even more to let herself be used by McCain in this manner. Additionally, the issue with her daughter, while it is personal, is equally as offensive to see how they now have brought the baby’s daddy in the picture and he looks just as scared as he can be. Why is it necessary to parade him around? Are they suppose to be setting good examples for other young people? I thought you were suppose to get married first, then have the baby, so this is nothing but show and tell. I guess Palin has a gun to his head so-to-speak. If it were my daughter, I would not let her be used in such a disgusting manner – yes, she made a mistake but who cares? Have the baby and be done with it. We do not need the show and tell. At any rate, that “red neck” as he called himself has certainly gotten in over his head. Were they planning to get married before mommy dearest decided to get into this race?

September 4, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  29. Vicki Campbell

Does anyone else find it condescending to women that McCain is affectionate toward Sarah Palin; that he hugs/cheek kisses her? Would he do that to a male VP candidate?

September 4, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  30. kim-chicago

The mean-spirited, mocking tone of the republican party is all they have to work with it, unfortunately it works. There is just too much at stake to fall for these Karl Rove tactics. We need to know what this woman is really all about.

Clearly the cultural diversity of that crowd is a reflection of why the Republicans don't understand what community organizers do.

September 4, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  31. Cindy

I am a 51 year old woman, single mom for 15 years and registered independent. I was very disapointed in Sara speech last night. She didn't address issues – she offered jabs. Her speech was delivered well if it was meant only to be on the attack. I am looking for candidates that want to bridge the gap and not increase it.

I am also disapointed in CNN's comments – there was no meat.

September 4, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  32. Dana

Joe,

Who wrote Biden's speech?

September 4, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  33. Carl

Here are some thoughts from a white male former Republican turned independent. My opinion and observation is that the Democratic convention felt very open and very inclusive...the speeches, for the most part, were very positive and inspiring. The stadium event was VERY inclusive. The GOP convention has felt very closed and exclusive, almost like the regular American has been forgoten...and the speeches have felt scary and hateful. This is merely an opinion and not an endorsement of either side.

September 4, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  34. Jeremiah

All I have to say is last night's "show" was ridiculous. All the republicans are good at doing is making sarcastic, cynical, and false statements. Also, did you notice how afraid they were of using that famous four letter word? "Bush" The republican are evil. They spend more time bashing opponents then they do talking about the issues. This tells me that they are afraid, and they should be. Barack Obama is a man of integrity, determined to run a clean and respectable campaign. The Democrats always stick to the issues and if they scratch and kick at the opposition, they talk about where the republicans have messed up as a campaign for the past 8 years. The Democrats do not belittle the accomplishments (if any) of the republicans. "Honesty is the best policy", but the republicans openly lie and stretch the truth. "The truth shall set you free", yet the republicans want to keep the little people in bondage to high gas prices and high taxes by telling lies. We all know that the republicans play dirty, so let's not reward bad behavior. Why is it that bad behavior is often rewarded so greatly and the good guys seem to finish last? Is that really the American way? I hope not. Let's make a CHANGE. Let's reward respectability. Let's reward playing fair. Let's reward integrity. Let's reward one who believes in helping not just the little man, but every man (and every woman). Let's reward Barack Obama, a man who does his best to keep his hands clean so that he can lend America a helping (clean) hand. After all, who want to shake hands with someone who has dirty (republican) hands?

Barack Obama, the next president of the United States.

Jeremiah, 27-Washington D.C

September 4, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  35. Maryanne

Wow.I know you won't believe because I'm a woman and you all think that whatever woman is running I'd go with that,but.I am deeply,deeply disturbed by Palin's speech.That was the meanest speech I've ever seen.As an independant,I find it too abrasive.It was just down right mean,sarcastic.Too much so.And watching that crowd get so...pumped up on someone berating another human being like that was too distubing.Is this what we value in this country.My God this is scary.

September 4, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  36. Kent, Illinois

I have to agree that it was delivered well. But, quite inaccurate and sarcastic. For a newcomer like Palin......... them's fightin words. The gloves are off and Biden will tear this pitbull apart with his bare hands. She came out fighting and that is what a VP pick is suppose to do. However, her children didn't seem comfortable listening to her speak so forcefully and without care of other people. My guess is this is the first time this Bible bumper has talked that way. She won't have a speech writer there to tell her what to say when she debates Biden. He doesn't need help on foreign affairs. He lived them..................ever see a VP nominee cry?

September 4, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  37. Shawn

Finally giving credit where credit is due. She will confound biden in the debate. Blowhard biden will look like Gore with the sighs times 10

September 4, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  38. John B

Just a catch phrase in reference to the recent Palin speech... "It was very interesting, but I am not interested" enough sain, GO OBAMA, please get all the old blood and their new blood lacky out of DC

September 4, 2008 at 10:54 am |
  39. Wes

How can a speech be brilliant when it's filled with so many inaccuracies.I don't know anyone who was impressed with it.
    I have a co-worker that's a republican who is a friend and she feels very uncomfortable at work today.My dad,a lifelong republican thought all the speechen were way too mean and over the top.The hate that was in their air last night.They spoke as if Obama was a piece of trash,a nothing.I guess if elected they will screw the millions of people that voted for Obama.They showed last night,they don't care about the rest of the country.At least Obama is inclusive.
    Honestly,it felt like I was watching an old film from some communist country.

September 4, 2008 at 10:53 am |
  40. Sharon

As usual, the Republicans are long on negative and short on plans. A pit bull with lipstick!! This is something to be proud of?

I've spent the better part of my life in ice rinks as my children were growing up, believe me, it's an accurate description of hockey mothers. As a group, they were frightening, nasty and always, always, certain they were absolutely the center of the universe.

I see nothing in Sarah Palin that counters that.

Unlike Brown and Borger, who were oddly gushing, I didn't find anything in her speech that was uplifting or creative. Contrary to their statements, I didn't find one thing any woman I know would respond to.

As I listened to Palin's speech the only words that came to mind were shrill and harpie. I must agree with Candy, I don't see it playing well outside the arena. At least not in my world.

September 4, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  41. Carol

Yes Palin was wrong was wrong about Obama's tax plan and other things but no one corrected her.They just praised her speech.
    I think the media likes it when people are negative and divisive.
    I think the media will forget about the economy and the wrong war and pump everything that is deragatory and go back to slamming Obama after he's answered every question and proven himself to them and America.I think they'll let McCain and Palin get away with spouting their vitriol and wrong informantion because why,well they like that kind of stuff.My friends in Europe were right,we American's will never learn,maybe we are just too stupid.

September 4, 2008 at 10:47 am |
  42. Judi G.

Why is no one looking at Sara Palen's time in Ted Stevens "Bootcamp for Alaska Rebublican Women" from 2004-2006. I would think that would be significant news!

September 4, 2008 at 10:46 am |
  43. Elizabeth

Everyone at work is horrified by the repugnant speeches the republicans gave last night.
    In know you think we all love Palin now and think she's the best thing since sliced bread but you're wrong.
    Really wrong.Women on my job were appauled by her demeaning behavior and comments.
    People are saying they don't understand why the republicans are so.....angry and just want to attack,attack,attaack,and say nothing about the economy or their plans.
    It turned off every single last independant in my office.Every one of them was in their words scarred and horrified.the consesus is also that they are very sad and worried.They are SAD!
    They especially thought that Palin was arrogant and disrespectful to Obama.
    The question is this:
    Why is the media now the whipping boy for the republicans.
    Why did the media scewer the Obama's over a flag pin and a 'proud' comment for months and question their patriotism and not question the patriotism of Palin and her husband when he was a member of the AIP?
    Why is the media obeying the repugnants and not asking questions about someone who could possible be a heartbeat away from the presidency?
    Why did NO ONE IN THE MEDIA call palin,ghouliani,or romney to task for attacking Michelle Obama when everyone agreed,families were off limits.
    Why did no one in the media correct the lie that Obama has accomplishments in the legislature and working across the aisle?
    Why did no one mention that palin called Hillary Clinton a whiner for crying 'sexism' and said she would just work harder but now is crying well,sexism?

September 4, 2008 at 10:43 am |
  44. Kris

Team 360: I guess you could say I am everyone's target: 40-ish, white, Christian, mother of 4, former Hillary supporter, living in Virginia, working FT. While I was impressed by Obama and his campaign, I had been leaning toward McCain – purely on the basis of his leadership and experience – until now. I WILL NOW VOTE FOR OBAMA. Why did I change my mind? 1) While MCain is clearly more experienced, he does not exhibit the ability to organize and motivate people as positively as Obama. I believe my President should be able to influence people into action – not dictate or scare them. Last nights convention speeches made it clear that McCain's presidency would be about FUD, not possibility; 2) McCain's choices seem to be made emotionally – not rationally. I want my president to be thoughtful and deliberate – not reckless and impulsive in a turbulent world; 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, the choice of Sarah Palin was insulting. Mr. McCain – Just because she is a woman you think I will ignore the fact she is inexperienced (particularly in foreign affairs, not to mention foreign travel), negative, sarcastic, anti-environment, and most importantly – a really BAD mother? BTW, I think this latter debate is actually funny... Successful working mothers and fathers, in calmer moments, will tell you that Palin's daughter's preganancy is an issue. The fact she got on a plane while in labor so her child would be an Alaskan is an issue. Why? Like the majority of Americans – I have had to make tough choices about career and family. I have chosen my kids. In my case, I quit my job as an Executive when my daughter (a teenager and not pregnant by the way) was born, stayed home until they were all in school, and then took a job which allowed me flexibility and opportunity to be there for my kids when and where they need me. The kids didn't choose to be born, I did. Ms Palin, what does it say about your ability to improve the future of our nation (and my kids as part of that) when you can't even manage your kids? What does it say about your humanity when you act like one of the "Mean Girls" during the convention – mimicing someone who has only been gracious to you and your family? Do we really want someone like you trying to secure world peace? Republican Party – get a grip... I didn't want to vote for Hillary because she was a woman, I wanted to vote for her because I thought she was the most qualified. You think a choice of Sarah Palin would energize me? Quite the contrary. Republicans, you should be ashamed. Mr. Obama, just tell me where to send the check.

September 4, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  45. Gregg

Last night was to me, the most disgusting display of a party whose back is up against the wall, down by 8% points and grasping at cyniscm and name calling. Guiliani was an a?@#@ hole. Laughing at Obama's community service and then the audience following suit. Disgusting. Then, the pitbull, the rudest, most boring, and least qualified person to take that stage since Dan Quail. She was hunting moose a week ago and now she is pimping her down-syndrome new born to garner sympathy and respect. Put the baby to bed you smug, selfish, ignorant moron. Half your claims about Obama were wrong. Way to go. Now because of you, instead of the Economy, we are talking about special needs children and teenage pregnancy. Great pick. McCain. Way to try and change the landscape of issues. The Repubs are so heavy handed with the way they are running this election its sad. This is the whole reason I have been ASHAMED of my country for so long.

September 4, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  46. Bev C Town of Tonawanda, NY

Joe – get a grip! Brilliant speech? Hardly.

September 4, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  47. S. Mac

This networks political bias has once again proven to make CNNs political sermons a source of irrelevant noise among American voters. I like so many other voters have elected to turn the noise off.

Still wonder why your viewership ratings are plummeting? Here’s a tip: Go back to actually reporting the news. Now that’s a vote for “Change.”

September 4, 2008 at 10:38 am |
  48. rachelle

Well yesterday I watched the convention. It was pretty good for the most part. I heard the former Mayor of NYC stating that the Democratic nominee did not having any executive experience; neither does the Republican nominee, leading a battalion in the military, being held captive for six years, and giving information to spare your life does not qualify one to be president. Those actions merit a purple heart and the honor of being called a hero. If executive experience is what we look for in a president the only candidate that qualifies in my opinion is Sara Palin. By the way, Sara went off yesterday on the Democrats, I hope she knows that she is fair game now. (Thanks to her speech writer(s)) I knew she could hold her own. Furthermore, when one chooses someone to speak on their behalf it should be someone with a credible reputation, not an individual who could not commit to several marriages. The city of NY knew better then to select a dishonest man to represent them. Oh but wait, then again didn't the Republican nominee cheat on his former wife as well. What will he do when he is in office or when he is under pressure? If my president can't commit to family, the smallest unit in his battalion whose interests should always be at heart, how can he commit to a country which consists of several families (units, battalions and brigades)?

September 4, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  49. Cindy

I think Sarah did an excellent job last night and hit one out of the park. And does it really matter who wrote the speech? Because let's be honest, none of them, not even the "messiah" himself, writes their speeches. So that doesn't matter. All that matters is she put the dems and the media's crap right back in their face and did it with a smile! She definitely energized the Rep party. Obama better be afraid because now he isn't the only great speech giver! She blew him away. Plus his was full of lies!

Cindy...Ga.

September 4, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  50. Gail

What is clear from the VP's speech last night is:
    a. she can read well
    b. she can deliver a speech, and
    c. she can insult people

She completely misstates facts about the Obama campaign – and makes it clear that she is unaware of this arena and her role in it.

What continues to amaze me is that the McCain campaign can get a crowd going – with this message of Change that they speak of – why would anyone beleive that McCain would change anything now – when for the past 26 years he did not.

September 4, 2008 at 10:23 am |