September 4th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Meet the 'pitbull with lipstick'

David M. Reisner
AC360° Digital Producer

Good morning everyone!
Did you watch last night? Looks like Palin packed a punch last night. For a speech tagged as the most important speech of her political career, she was able to hold her own.

She introduced herself to the world Wednesday by calling herself a "hockey mom" and then asking what the difference was between a hockey mom and a pit bull.

"Lipstick," the Republican vice presidential nominee said.

She promptly went on to prove the point, tearing into Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama as two-faced, inexperienced and intoxicated by the sound of his own voice.

"This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting and never use the word 'victory' except when he's talking about his own campaign," she said.

She slammed Obama for "saying one thing in Scranton and another in San Francisco," argued that he had written two memoirs but never authored a major piece of legislation and asked what he would do "when those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot," a reference to the stage where Obama gave his acceptance speech last week.

So what did you think of Palin's speech?

She wasn't the only one to speak. Just before Palin took center stage, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani warmed up the crowd by continuing the barrage on Obama, calling him a "celebrity senator" with no leadership experience.

"He's never had to lead people in crisis," Giuliani said. "This is not a personal attack; it's a statement of fact. Barack Obama has never led anything. Nothing. Nada."

"The choice in this election comes down to substance over style. John McCain has been tested. Barack Obama has not. Tough times require strong leadership, and this is no time for on-the-job training."

His speech was the third of the evening by former GOP presidential candidates who pumped up the Republican faithful ahead of Palin.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee got the crowd cheering when he ripped Obama for looking to Europe for ways to change America.

"Barack Obama's excellent adventure to Europe took his campaign for change to hundreds of thousands of people who don't even vote or pay taxes here," he said.

"The fact is, most Americans don't want more government; they want a lot less."

Huckabee said McCain represents small government and has ideas for change that will make the nation's economy better. He added that McCain is "a man with the character and stubborn kind of integrity that I want in a president."

Huckabee took a jab at the "elite media" for "unifying the Republican Party and all of America" in support of McCain and Palin.

"The reporting of the past few days has proven tackier than a costume change at a Madonna concert," Huckabee said.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney blasted "liberal Washington," saying McCain is a "prescription for every American who wants change in Washington."

He added that it's time to take a "Weedwhacker" to excessive regulation and to impose lower taxes and to stop big-government spending.

"Throw out the big-government liberals and elect John McCain," Romney said. "We need change, all right: change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington."

He also threw his support behind Palin, saying the McCain-Palin ticket "will keep America as it has always been: the hope of the world."

"We will never allow America to retreat in the face of evil extremism," Romney said.

We would love to hear what you thought of the speeches last night.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Kathleen Dixon

Sarah Palin managed to insult Obama, hockey moms, pit bulls and every one else in the U.S. that doesn't subscribe to her rigid point of view. We live in a world where cultures are colliding. We need leaders with perspective, diplomacy, negotiation skills, and who are very well educated. McCain's choice is irresponsible.

September 4, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  2. deb in oregon

Reading the blogs in cyberspace today I ran across one of the best lines in answer to the Obama's community service attack: “Jesus was a Community Organizer, and Pontias Pilate was a Governor.”

September 4, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  3. afisher

Thank goodness the conventions are almost over, the rhetoric will be down to a dull roar. Last night, one of the comedians showed the mouthpieces for the republicans saying one thing on day one and the opposite on day two...it is really sad that the positions of the parties are lost in all of this. If the political parties think that the american public are not smart enough to understand the issues, shame on them.
    I had to laugh when Palin stated she was a pitbull with lipstick, I can hardly wait for the cartoonist to start drawing...but then the GOP will say it is sexist. As a female voter, I think it will be hilarious.

On a more serious note, I would like to know where McCain is going to put the 50+ nuclear reactors...and the waste...if it goes to the least populous state, would not that be Alaska? If Palin believes that drilling in a nature refuge can be drilled for oil, then can't we bury the nuclear waste there?

September 4, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  4. Joseph

A more accurate title is a loose cannon with lipstick.

September 4, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  5. Jeanne from California

You can't tell me she wrote one word of that "script" I mean speech. It lacked complete sincerity. The only thing that I believed was that her kids really did miss the personal chef. She is way out of her league on this one and it shows.

September 4, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  6. Heather.Ca,Us

I don't agree with her politically but I'm sure the upcoming debates are going to be very interesting to watch.

September 4, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  7. Bryan - Canada

A few off CNN’s commentators were going about her speech, calling it a home run, and I quote " she hit that one out of the park" We are all cognizant of that fact, it's not every home run win games.
    I’m surprised none of the said commentators ever mentioned hearing a speech that was lace with anger, sarcasm and divisive rhetoric.

She's nothing more than a glorified side show.

September 4, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  8. Bryan - Canada

Casing herself around small town America values, Palin lashes out against multi-ethnic America. Like Rudolph Giuliani who spoke before her, Palin's speech was nothing more than the same old tired Republican rhetoric against the media and ‘Washington insiders’, pandering to the American people's perceived fear of ‘Democrats raising their taxes, fortification from 'terrorist' threat and the diminution of America's defenses by putting the no experience Obama in the white house. As if McCain isn't a ‘Washington insider’, after 26 years of holding federal office! Her feeble attempt in tapping into the fear of escalating gas prices, Palin's solution is drilling for more oil in Alaska! She barely mentioned alternative energy sources and she didn't touch upon healthcare in a country where over 40 million people don't have health insurance. She supports the Iraq war and scorns her opponents who fail to use the word 'victory.' Yeah, she would be a great VP, giving America more of the same Bush’s policies.
    America needs to wakeup and smell the red herring that the republicans are using to detract their attention away from the real issues to which they don’t have a solution or plan for an ailing US economy.. It stench reaches far and wide across the Canadian border.

September 4, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  9. Marina

Do they not have statutory rape laws in Alaska? If this is America and everyone's equal - can someone explain to me the family value and merit in what they did to Genarlow Wilson?

I am angered by the GOP's attempt to manipulate "family values" by showing-off a 17 yr old pregnant girl. I imagine she never wanted the entire world to know about her pregnancy. Since when did boyfriends join the presidential/VP stage?

As a mother of a child with special needs, I am struck by what I am seeing portrayed by the GOP and even the media's "gushing over". We take care of our families - without the help of nannies - daily; away from the spotlight.

September 4, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  10. mary

I tried to watch the speeches last night but my blood pressure wouldn't allow it. I read all about it in the paper. Compassionate conservates??
    What an oxymoron!!. Mitt Romney and his millions has no compassion for the middle class or the poor. Rudy Guiliani has been married 3 times and his children don't even talk to him. So much for family values!!

As someone who has done volunteer work in schools and for hospice organizations, I am offended by her derisive attacks on community service. And as a mother, I am deeply offended by her hipocracy. On one hand, her children are the most important things in her life and on the other hand she parades her pregnant daughter and her disabled child in front of the American public. If her values are so important, she should be home taking care of her daughter and providing the nurturing and therapy her son needs. I will not vote for a woman because she is a woman. Also, why was it ok for the Republicans to bash Hillary ever chance they got, but when someone makes a comment on Palin it is sexist.?

My husband told me 2 days ago, that the father of the child to be would be cleaned up paraded before the public. I told him that was ridiculous.
    I have to admit he was right. Someone gave me advice a few weeks ago. Don't let fear be a factor in who you vote for. Sorry but it is a factor to me. If John McCain dies, she will be president. We should all be frightened.

September 4, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  11. Veronica Meadows

"Shame on You"

I spend 3 hours daily with my 11 year old son, just to insure he is achieving his highest potential. Have you studied with you're child? I am a blind women who is trying to keep up with his extremely advanced Globally challenged cirriculum, that far sur-passes what I grew up with. That's 1 child with plenty of involved extended family. And at the same time try to figure out how my husband is going to get to work with no gas money. Most Americans do not have a "kick-back" from the Oil Co's, like Alaska. I am also, a very independent mom(with a extended family, unlike many) however, I can not imagine, in today's competitve times, letting my personal ambitions, override my responsibility to my child. Let alone 4, and a Special Needs child. Apparently you can not either. You're moral high ground, "Abstinence Only" policy can not be mandated in your own, "I'm to busy with MY OWN goals" household! As a Republican, not an opportunist, I'm disgusted. Just for this obvious disregard for an average Americans intelligence...I'm not that shallow, I'm voting for Obama.

September 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  12. Lisa Hollands

Palin is a pitbull with lipstick who shoots wildlife for fun.
    GO OBAMA and BIDEN !!!! YEAH

September 4, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  13. drummond1

In response to Karen -from Canada.....
    Karen – from Canada September 4th, 2008 10:19 am ET

Palin and McCain supporters are impressed with her fighting approach, like the approach of the last eight years. Do you really think politicians/leaders from over seas will like Palin’s methods. America needs allies from other countries. Other countries respect and like Obama. If Obama is president, America will be number one again amongst other countries, .........

um..... America is Number one,, will always be Number one and thats the problem. When our own citizens dont take the American Flag to heart ,our leadership by example is evident. The love and respect for our country in unconditional..

September 4, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  14. joanne/ florida

That speech was Grrrrrrrrrizzly- Not Grrrrrrreat!

September 4, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  15. lampe

You Obama Supporters, are nothing but a BIG BUCH OF WHINNERS; No one can say anything wrong about The Golden One. First it was Sen. Clinton, then it was Pres. Clinton, then it was the Clinton Supporter's. POOR BABY OBAMA, everybodies picking on him. Now's it's Sen. McCain, and Gov. Palin, and The Whole RepublicanParty, POOR BABY OBAMA, why's everybody always picking on me. Grow the HELL-UP. If he can't take the heat, then maybe you should put somebody in office, that has some B-S. Anybody who doesn't cry and carry-on like a little school girl. Somebody who actually might be able to stand-up against anyone who might want to do harm to THE USA. I can think of three better candidates, then Obama, HRC(1st choice.) Sen. McCain\Palin (2nd choice) Anybody But OBAMA (3rd Choice)

September 4, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  16. joanne/ florida

She didn't win me over one bit

September 4, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  17. Tony

If she and republicans prevail this country will go to hell – talking about bad karma... I can't find anything positive about her speech: no constructive ideas, no substance, and no even a hint of love towards fellow american that she should've shown as a religious person.

September 4, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm tempted to say that most of the liberal bloggers here have no sense of humor. But then again, they nominated Obama, and that's pretty funny.

September 4, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  19. drummond1

Hey Cambell Brown baby!!...I think the media should let Palin speak for herself. Obviously, after last nights exercise in the proverbial "slam-dunk" she is quite capable of delivering a defense. The pressure put on the Republican Tucker by the media was uncalled for. Tucker, as well as the rest of the Republican party, cannot be held accountable at a time when the entire nation let alone Republican representatives were in a stage of discovery in regards to the VP nominational pick by Senator John McCain. Let me tell you something CNN.. And the National Enquirer too.. If you think that your biased pro Democratic political views will even be considered on election day..keep digging your graves. Every action by the media as to unfair,unequal opinion by commentators(or so called Journalists) that have a personal agenda, and readily participate in invasive private and personal probing,will only take away from the Democratic Partys American Patriotism and sense of fair play. God Bless America.. God Bless John McCain,, Sarah and Trig too... and god bless Barack Obama. After the beating last night he could use a little help.

September 4, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  20. Lesley

Palin is disingenuous. Besides following orders and repeating attacks written for her by the good 'ole boys in charge of her party, she is no reformer. She has filed a complaint to have her ethics investigation moved from the bipartisan Legislative Council to a three-member Personnel Board, two of whom were appointed by her predecessor and one by Palin herself. It definitely isn't working across party lines if she refuses to allow a bipartisan council to decide her fate but would rather stack the deck with a non-bipartisan group that she had a hand in appointing. It is a clear conflict and the media is completely ignoring it. This is manipulation, not reform. She decries corruption but garnered millions in earmarks for her town and also for her state, besides the famous bridge that she voted for until it became the subject of ridicule. If the media would report the facts and not just the Republican spin, her actual voting record and her political views on all major topics will show that she would not bring reform or change to the WH if the ticket gets elected. She doesn't want to talk about them because they do not serve her purpose, which explains the attacks. She gave the exact same speech we've been hearing from the Repubs since the beginning of the general election. I couldn't tell if she was speaking or John McCain. Oh, right, he's the pit bull that doesn't wear lipstick.

September 4, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  21. Maureen

I think Sarah Palin did a great job. She talked about energy, taxes, and the things I care about. All the rest was in response to all of the attacks she has taken from the other side before she ever stepped foot on the platform, and she showed "true grit" in standing up to all of these attacks! Not to have done so would have shown weakness on her part. She's a strong lady. And the McCain/Palin ticket has my vote.

September 4, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  22. Tom

I see all these harsh reactions to Sarah Palin's speech and most of them center on it being a divisive speech. Well, she was attacked by Obama for lacking experience. She responded in kind. She has a right to defend herself and to attack back. She demonstrated strength to me. I'd like to see partisan politics disappear too. But if Obama bit her first, she's entitled to bite back. Experience is a real issue. So she answered the question well by showing her PRESIDENTIAL opponent has less or no more than equal experience.

I'd really like to hear more on how she has been a fiscal hawk other than a soundbite. I've read some on her that suggests she cut lots of construction projects in Alaska. I'm assuming that was because the construction was wasteful.

And all the talk about her not talking about economic issues is stupid. I listened to her speech. I heard her talk about low taxes and cutting spending - THATS AN ECONOMIC PLAN. She also talked about an energy plan that includes all the options. As an independent conservative, energy independence is a big deal for me. I want drilling and all forms of energy to be used to remove our dependence on foreign oil.

Democrats do the same devour and conquer plans that Republicans do. They use the same rhetoric. That's why I have little faith in either party. The republicans abandonned their fiscally conservative roots during Bush's term. I just hope Palin's appointment signals a return to that fiscal conservatism.

September 4, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  23. joanne/ florida

A special needs child is certainly a sensitive subject to all, and when I say All I mean All that is precisely why I think voters are much more likely to be ALOT more sensitive in obtaining UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE.

IMAGINE A LIFETIME OF FAMILIES TRYING TO PROVIDE THE HEALTHCARE OR MEDICINES FOR THE SPECIAL NEEDS OF ANY CHILD WITH A DISEASE OR A DISABILITY.

In this day and age it is hard to believe that in America so many people are unable to meet their medical needs and having to choose between food and medical attention.

September 4, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  24. Camina T. in Arroyo Grande CA

I did not like the speech. What was to like about it? Dems are angry but they do not glory in the dislike of their neighbors like the Repubs are doing. And about the Strofoam Greek Columns being shipped back to Hollwood: Maybe they are on there way back to The American Ballet Theater or the Metropolitan Opera House. America has got Artists and Art as well it should. I hope the Repub flag is not getting shipped back to China or Mexico where it wasmade.

September 4, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  25. Jim

A pit bull with lipstick??? More like a momma GRIZZLY BEAR with cubs- Biden's the anklebiter.

September 4, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  26. Caycee

Palin delivered precisely what was expected. She can now take her place in front of the ranks of the rest of the pit bulls in the GOP as the lead female attack dog. We all know what those dogs are called and she certainly personifies that role. Personally I've had enough of the GOP's tactics of divide and devour and look forward to the day when they're all voted out.

September 4, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  27. Brenda J Carlson

I thought Palins comment about Hockey Moms was fabulous. Those of you who have no sense of humor might as well be as miserable as you like, but for me, I am going to be positive. I have been a successful business woman managing budgets over $100,000,000.
    I also raised 3 boys, and did a darn good job of it. They are all grown and successful. What they tell me today is "Mom, you are a great role model". So those of you who would like to continue to put this bright, tough, loving mother, wife and governor down, just go ahead. It will not serve you well. As a female, I am very proud to see a woman as a vice presidential candidate and you can bet you life, I will vote for her. You who talk about the family problems, have had problems of your own. Every family does. So, get real. Consider how much your taxes will go up with Obama. We need the McCain/Palen ticket to win.

I am embarrassed by the reaction of the female media more that the male. Shame on you all.

September 4, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  28. Brenda J Carlson

It is with a great deal of anger and disappointment that I write this note. I have been a real loyal sCNN viewer. Until I discovered that you do not present a fair picture of the political campaigns. Why are you so quick to find fault with everything Sarah Palin does or says, but you have never asked the burning questions of Barack Obama. Questions like "Do you have citizenship in Kenya and Indonesia as well as the USA? How much did your house cost. Why haven't you asked Michelle Obama about her Thesis written about Black Separatism. Why haven't you ask Obama why he had no American Flag on the podium with him when he spoke in Germany? Why haven't you asked Obama why he attended a church for twenty years that preached hatred and shouted profanity about the United States?
    Is Obama really a citizen? There is a question about that. A birth certificate was issued and placed on the internet, but another certificate of live birth was issued in Kenya on the date of his birth to his mother. Why doesn't he talk about his brothers, sisters, and mother? Why does he say this is no longer a Christian Nation?
    He scares a lot of voters, but you, who I now put in the category of the very prejudiced media have asked non of these. His church was totally committed to the Mother country, Africa. How can he do that and be the President of the United States.
    Surely some of you have questions? Are you afraid to ask? I think you are.
    Well, you can rest assured that you audience has decreased and will continue to do so, because I for one will not watch you ever again. It is very sad that we can no longer trust you. All of my friends feel the same way.

It would also help if you kept all of those prejudiced commentators off of your programs. They just add to the offensiveness.

September 4, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  29. Victoria V. Anderson Seattle, Washington

Did she go to college? I know she graduated from high school and then got married, had 5 kids, Mayor to 7000, Governor for two years, etc.... But the way she came off it seems like she needed to be educated on Politics 101. Oooh, Repulicans did the best they could within the last week... Great job GOP. I'm so sorry millions of Americans who live middle class ain't buying it. If anything, when this is all over you need to thank Bush for a job well done and praise McShame for handing over the NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES – Mr. BARACK OBAMA. With McShame's poor judgement by picking Ms. Beauty Queen for his running mate who clearly have no understanding about the serious issues that we americans are facing everyday. She said nothing that could benefit me in the next 4 years.
    Her husband wants Alaska to be seperated from the United States! O.k, that's very Patroit on his part. Let's see the media talk about him like they did Michelle Obama. At least she does like the United States.
    I bet if a black person would have wanted Alaska seperated from the United States we all would have been sayin it's racist. I bet if Obama had a 17 year old preganant daughter we would be saying that's a damn shame. The GOP wouldn't care if the media report it because thats how they work. From Religion to his experience, the media rode Obama for months. He over came it and he is still standing. Some body tell Sarah if the house is burning she better run and get help because in case she don't know, we get taxed for bottled water. Also, if she didn't go to college and got a lucky pass, (that I just can't believe how that came about in the United States working your way into politics) well, we americans who live in the United States (not including Alaska) have always taught our kids to go to college and get an education in order to make it in the world. Learn to work with other's (People of Color). Learn to understand that this world is bigger then 7000 people and I'm still wondering what kind of people and issues was she working with. Some might say it doesn't matter, but this is the United States of America. I heard that the minority will soon be the majority and I'm pretty sure if your planning on running this country you better get ready for World Views 101......

September 4, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  30. Scott Kemper

The Republican Party should really have their speech writers cross check information prior to "the most important speech of someone's life". How embarassing to reveal the contents of many of those statements are false. If the media from both sides can validate the contents, whey can't their own party do the same? It made it seem as though she could only repeat the lies she was told. How awful. Personal slams and low rent tactics can't change the facts. Wow. Very sad.

September 4, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  31. Bev C Town of Tonawanda, NY

As to referring to Palin as a "pit bull" – that is an insult to all pit bulls out there.

September 4, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  32. April Torres

When I watched Barak Obama's speech last week I felt uplifted, hopeful and encouraged that there may be some light at the end of this "bridge to nowhere" that the Republican Party has built over the past eight years. After Palin's speech last night I felt downright depressed. I felt even worse this morning when I saw so much of the media saying that she actually did a good job! I was offended last night as a mother, woman and American! Both Palin & Guilliani's speeches were in bad taste and so low class! I was hoping to learn a little about this woman, where she came from and what her values are. Someone referred to her as "shrill", well I can think of a few other words to describe her even better. And by the way, I'm not offended as a woman because someone called her that...I am offended that she was up there representing women in that way! As a mother I want my children to feel uplifted and positive about what they can make of themselves. Sarcasm and low blows is not an example I would like my next vice president to represent. (I felt bad that her kids were actually exposed to there mother setting such a bad example of what a "strong" woman should represent.) Honestly, don't we have enough torture and abuse going on in the world thanks to George Bush? Do we really need more of the same? I didn't hear anything last night about what she was going to do to help the country in these hard times...it felt more like a petty high school homecoming queen trying to beat down the smart kid just to get a couple of laughs and get a little more popular! Shame on you Sarah Palin-get off your high horse and try saying something with actual substance!

September 4, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  33. Karen - from Canada

Thank goodness for these blogs. If it was up to CNN's journalists and the Republician Party, you would think all the people of America are in awe with Palin and fooled by this stunt that the Republicians have pulled. If you have noticed, since McCain whined about not getting any coverage like Obama, CNN has made a 360 degree turn around. Before they were being fair and covering both parties. Now they are only covering the Republicians. It appears that the Republicians have bullied them into not speaking well of Obama. It looks like CNN is running a McCain campaign.

September 4, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  34. Lisa

Sarah Palin’s speech last night can only be described as hateful and divisive. How can someone with a tone like that reach across party isles? It is these kinds of blustering remarks that Bush said he regretted when entering the Iraq war. I mean really, is this the type of rhetoric that you want to hear coming from the White House? She’s no more than an attack dog and a cheerleader for John McCain. You better believe if he makes it to the White House, she will be given futile tasks and only touted out when it benefits McCain. Just listening to that speech last night was like listening to a pig squeal. In the end all you remember is that you were annoyed. I mean come on who does she think she is fooling with that propped up speech she gave. All I can say to those who heard it is don’t drink it, it’s not kool aid, it’s milk and it’s sour. Based on the comments on the web most people didn’t fall for it. I know one thing she’s not going to fool African Americans with that tone, we’ve all heard it before. It’s called playing the dozens and my response to her is “yo mama”.

What I really don’t get is the media’s surprise with how nasty she was. They forget that it was Eve who got Adam to eat the fruit.

September 4, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  35. colleen

I'm a South African and have been following the Democratic and Republican conventions. Very entertaining to say the least! I'm all for womens rights and equal rights for women but in reality it is very difficult to juggle a career with being a mother. Clearly, Sarah Palin is not able to do both effectively if her 17 year old daughter is pregnant! And how is she going to give that little baby of hers the attention he deserves. Yes, her kids have a father – but they need their mother's undivided attention more. If I were in her shoes, I would not accepted this nomination knowing that my children (and their mistakes – well I hope the pregnancy was not intentional at that age) would be splattered all over international news (I'm actually watching this while I'm in India). Quite disgraceful! Americans you are very lucky in that your vote will actually count in this election. Please use it wisely. This woman should not be second in charge of your country. They say that when America sneezes, the whole world gets a cold and I am definitely sick and tired of all the colds we have been getting for the past 8 years.

September 4, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  36. Judy Willis

some facts that have been distorted by the Rebublicans/
    Sarah was for the Bridge to nowhere before she changed her mind then she kept the money for it in alaska she didn't give it back
    she has line item vetoed many social issues for lower income people
    for senior citizens ,among others I would like a list of the vetos
    she has set back health care by taking sex education out of the schools .
    her daughter probably didn't know how a person gets pregnant..
    she has taken pork funds and even when she was mayor .
    last night was the Nastyest I have ever seen a convention .
    she is not nicey nice and neither is John McCain, he's never done a thing for AZ .
    I want to know what they are going to do about unemployment ,about energy other then DRILL< DRILL for health care, for seniors, for education
    Barack obama had the most positive speach I have ever heard they are not trying to fix the problems

September 4, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  37. L. Riggs

Rudy acted like a clown. Governor Palin did exactly what she was told to do. She is obviously a very quick study. Aren't pitbulls supposed to be behind a high fence? For the safety of everyone?

September 4, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  38. JT

It is about time, somebody start talking about Obama's background there is not much to back up all these big speeches he is been writing.

Obama a community organizer, what did he do really? I hope he did not do any criminal activity.

They said they redicule or even mock Obama. Actualy, the republican di exactly what the democrats did to Bush and McCain during their convention.

Vote McCain/Palin.

September 4, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  39. Stephanie M. Whittlesey

Sarah Palin's choice as a v.p. candidate is an insult to women everywhere-not because she is a working mother, a grandmother-to-be with an unmarried, pregnant daughter, or mother to a disabled child—but because she is uneducated, unfit, and a frightening throwback. She buys into, even approves of, the ideological pressures for the submission of women that enlightened folk have been fighting for decades, if not centuries. Shame on you, Mr. McCain!

September 4, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  40. Michelle

CNN should invite some 20-somethings like Conor Knighton
    of Current News. CNN news to expand the panels and stop
    buying into the left right concept. It is so last century. All of the
    talk is so jaded. Normal folks do not talk about politics this way.

September 4, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  41. Jan from Wood Dale IL

A lot of Obama followers are sounding pretty shrill this morning.

Though I might not agree with McCain and Palin on all issues, I greatly admire how Palin has genuinely served her community and the state of Alaska. She is a major complement to McCain's continued service to his country.

Palin's approach in pointing out Obama's shortcomings shows she is a force within her own right. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more from this woman in the days to come. Great choice, Senator McCain!

September 4, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  42. Michael, NC

Why is everyone acting as if the mudslinging is one sided? It has been back and forth for the past three months, so why would it stop now? So she jabbed at his "community leadership". Big deal. You know he is going to jab back with "small town vs huge community" bull. Don't act like he won't either, and all you dem supporters are going to say how well articulated he is. Look past the blinding light that surrounds Obama and see that he is not bringing anything to the table.

September 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  43. Rahni, Connecticut

She is NOT a Hillary Clinton! I'll stay with the democratic party and support Barack Obama.

Rahni, Connecticut

September 4, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  44. joel wirchin

Let me open by saying that you all at CNN do an amazing job of covering politics. i don't even consider any other station or channel from which to get my insatiable fill of politics and convention coverage. I love this stuff! It is thoroughly and intellectually enjoyable to watch your team of pro's analyze every angle. With that all said, I must say I was really surprised to see how so many on the panel got so "jazzed" about Sarah Palin's speech... You all are way more sophisticated than that.. Jeff Toobin hit the nail on the head more than most others did..

If you ask me, I thought Palin was way out of line, and way out of synch w/ the national mood with her hard-hitting approach. Frankly, who is she - as a newcomer, no-name, nobody on the national scene - to be pointing a finger (literally, yes that's precisely what she was doing), at me in my living room, with a sometimes flat out nasty, sneering expression and lip curling delivery that honestly made me think this is nothing more than an upstart, and maybe delusional, brat. And, while on the one hand she preaches "family is off limits," she on the other hand rather shamelessly positioned her infant child over her shoulder so that his adorable little face went straight into the camera's eye - exploiting her child and, worse, his special needs circumstance. How hypocritical. She lacked politeness and class. While i realize that some of those descriptors don't always resonate in national election politics, i must say that her "opponent" was way more gracious to her the other day when the news of her 17 year old daughter's circumstance broke. There was her "opponent" telling a TV audience to leave her alone, that its not part of the discussion, etc. Her opponent showed class. Sadly, Palin couldn't bring herself to return the class and dignity last night. People will remember that once the bus leaves St. Paul. Likewise, her mocking of community organizers was an affront to all those countless men and women across this country who like to think that, by their work, they are doing good and are amplifying that need by mobilizing in numbers. I suppose nobody has ever "organized a community" in Alaska from which she may have benefitted? And lastly, tho' her 45 minute long unfortunate tirade may have made for interesting political theatre i must say this. When minute 46 rolled around, i knew nothing more about how she and her running mate plan to restore the economy and put people back to work. All well and fine to beat up on your opponent when you are feeling down and maligned. That helps her and her opponent. That's 2 people. What does that do for the remaining billions of us? They are preaching something "new?" Not.. Sorry, this was more of the same.
    The fact that she actually had the immaturity to mock the "styrofoam pillars" from Obama's speech in Denver last week was just amazing. Until she convinces us that everything about her and her past is "real" she is best to leave those little rocks of hers safely tucked away in her glass house. We in this country, and Mr McCain, can do MUCH better. And should have.

Thanks for listening.....

September 4, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  45. Carline

I very much agree with Karen from Canada statement that America needs allies from other countries. The tough talk, bullying and might I add the level of arrogance from the Republicans as we have seen the past eight years have accomplished “nada”... . Palin was a prime example last night in her jabs at the Democratic Party that we will be in for the same old politics…. Talk, talk, talk… Enough, this country is ready and needs a President who understands the need of the American people. No where in Palin’s speech last night did she underline or brush upon the many concerns of the every day Americans… jobs, taxes, health care and so on. If I was undecided, well ladies and gentlemen, I am still undecided because her speech led me nowhere.

September 4, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  46. Debby

I have a queston....if her daughter gets married does she lose health insurance under her mother's plan? Is the state fo Alaska going to pay for Bristol's baby? How do the taxpayers feel about that?

Mom won't pay for help for unwed mothers, but she'll use state funds to deliver her own grandbaby!!!! How pathetic is that?

Once again the Republicans want it both ways. How cruel were they to Brittany Spears' little sister? Now they are parading this 17 year old out like she's to be looked up to by the youth of America!!!!

In our family, our plan won't cover married children. My guess is the marriage doesn't happen until after the birth. She'll want good coverage for her daughter or just maybe she'll find a job for her/him in the state so they can have the coveage they need. Where's the reporting on this? Since we know she cut funds in Alaska for this, I think this is fair game.

She's got you freaked. Obama may take the high road, but I am incensed that the Republicans, the values party , put a pregnant 17 year old out there for all to see. I may sound harsh,and there by the grace of G-d go my children, but I don't profess to have all the answers and they do!!!!

They're so busy telling us what to do, maybe they should be home taking care of their own!!!! Can you tell I am angry?

I didn't like what Bill Clinton did. Tell me why this is different? Our children are still subjecting to all of this garbage!!! Where are the people who just do the right thing? I keep hearing about all of these people who understand this. I don't!!!!

September 4, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  47. Deb H.

Anderson, where was the "breathe of fresh air" the Republicans were touting when introducing Palin last week? The whole speech had that nasty, mudslinging old Republican ring to it. There was absolutely no talk about issues and solutions, only an attack on a man who gallantly defended her families right to privacy last week. I heard no specifics about all of this "administrative" work she's done and a lot of ugliness. ENOUGH! this is George Bush's party from the last 8 years who can't get elected on substance and resort to this. I agree with others that they complained that her family was being drug into this and yet, they seemed okay being "used" last night for a photo op. None of those children deserve this and you would think "earth monther" would put her family first. I don't want this woman in charge of anything. I've now made up my mind.

September 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  48. lampe

What I don't get is Why was it okay last week for everybody to attack Sen. McCain at The DNC COnvention, but this week no one is allowed to say anything about Obama? I hope if this man gets into The White House all of you supporters are going to be there is so one from another Country says anything negative about him. Cause GOD knows, you can't let this man stand on his own two-feet. If Obama, had been anything else besides a Community Organizer, and a Senator, than maybe McCain\Palin, wouldn't have to keep talking about his lack of experience. Charlene: The only reason Obama, said those nice things, as you put it about Gov. Palin, is because he had no choice. If he had said anything negative, then Michelle, would be right back on the attack list. MY GOD! are you people really that stupid, that you can't really see what's going on. For a Senator, who first ran, as a man, of all races, not just Black, he has amnaged to turn this race into nothing but race and gender. I am a Prroud Supporter, of HRC, but because of the way Obama, has managed to show his sexist, and racist side in this campaign, and nothing has been said or done about it. I WILL BE VOTING FOR THE PARTY< THAT SHOWS IT'S RESPECT FOR IT'S FEMALES. McCAIN\PALIN2008 HISTORY IN THE MAKING.

September 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  49. Julie San Diego, CA

Toobin is exactly right. The press wouldn't be doing their job unless they raised some serious questions about Sarah Palin's ability to govern.

She took the gloves off last night. Time for the media to do the same.

I'd like to know a little more about that state-owned plane sold on Ebay. Did it fetch a fair price? Did someone she know buy it? How well was it advertised?

Romney looked positively giddy when Candy Crowley asked him about a scenario where John McCain died his first day in office. Methinks Palin and Romney are cut from the same cloth. Is this an alliance forming? Are voters really getting a Palin-Romney ticket?

At this point, I don't care if I have to buy the National Enquirer in the checkout aisle at the supermarket to get the real story. I just want the truth. Sarah Palin has enough red flags to warrant a serious investigation and there isn't a lot of time left before election day.

September 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  50. Ginna Gray

I am a registered Republican. I have voted for the Republican presidential candidate my entire adult life. BUT I will throw all my support in this election to Obama and I know DOZENS of other independent and republican women who feel exactly the same way I do. I already had doubts about McCain after enduring 8 years of Bush (who I realize I voted for and thus have no real right to complain.....)But then McCain picks a VP with virtually no experience just to appease the religious right and attract Hillary voters. After hearing her speech last night, I wanted to go take a bath. She was sarcastic, devisive and said absolutely nothing I haven't already heard from Bush speechwriters. Obama RESPECTED McCain in his speech while not agreeing with his beliefs. Palin DISRESPECTED Obama on a personal level. If the right wing of the party thinks that this women will EVER get moderate Republicans and Independents to the party they are sadly mistaken AND I really doubt that any Hillary supporters would vote for a right wing, holy war supporting, gun toting, pro-lifer. Even if she is a woman. I respect McCain and his service to our country but strongly feel he has done a DISSERVICE in chosing a VP who WILL lose the election for the Republicans.

September 4, 2008 at 1:24 pm |