September 2nd, 2008

Palin's Pregnancy Problem

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/02/art.vert.palin.jpg caption="Bristol Palin, 17, holds her brother Trig during the campaign rally" width=292 height=320]

Editor's Note: Sally Quinn founded and co-moderates 'On Faith', a blog from the Washington Post and Newsweek. Co-moderated by Newsweek editor and bestselling author Jon Meacham and hosted by a panel of renowned religious scholars of all denominations, On Faith is the first worldwide, interactive discussion about religion and its impact on global life. Here is a recent blog:

Sally Quinn
Washington Post reporter

My first reaction was shock. Then anger. John McCain chose a running mate simply because she is a woman and one who appealed to the Republican's conservative evangelical base. Now, with news that Palin's 17-year-old unmarried daughter is pregnant, McCain's pick may not even find support among "family values" voters.

It has happened before, of course. Geraldine Ferraro was chosen as the Democratic vice presidential nominee in 1984 because she was a woman, but that was 24 years ago. I thought we were past this. Apparently not. McCain's choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate is a cynical and calculated move. It is a choice made to try to win an election. It is a political gimmick. And it's very high risk. I find it insulting to women, to the Republican party, and to the country.

This is nothing against Palin. From what little we know about her, she seems to be a bright, attractive, impressive person. She certainly has been successful in her 44 years. But is she ready to be president?

And now we learn the 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, is pregnant.

Read More...

Filed under: Raw Politics
  1. Tara

I think the Republican party leak the info about Palin daughter so that it will take the focus off Palin being accused of using her position to get her sister ex boyfriend fired

September 2, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  2. Jose

If Gov. Sarah Palin frequently makes a bullseye in her target practice with an M-16 rifle so did Sen. Mc Cain made a bullseye in choosing her as his VP pick. If the american people and the people of the world wonder whom Sen. McCain will choose as VP it is because his choice is a wonder woman in the person of Gov. Sarah Palin. A sparkle of beauty, young, articulate and talented, a fiery fiscaliser and a nemesis against grafters and corrupts in the government, and more importanly a pro life practitioner and advocate makes her and Sen. McCain the winningable candidates in this 2008 Presidential election. She set as an example the beauty of a pro life stance by preserving and protecting the life of her son who has a down syndrome and the conceived child of her teenage daughter Bristol for others similarly situated to follow so that the people in this world can sleep soundly without fear that a life is taken away for reasons that the innocent children or conceived ones had done nothing wrong. Giving a worst case scenario, even if Bristol is impregnated by a married man who is a well known politicians with the likes of Sen. Obama or Sen. Biden, where marriage is not possible because of legal impediment,the family of Gov. Palin will firmly preserve and protect the life of the conceived child, the beauty of a pro life believer.

September 2, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  3. Brenda Harris

Most of you people don't get it. Plain and Mccain thought we were
    too stupid to notice. Do you see that is the reason that the girl was holding the baby the whole time. They were trying to hide the fact she was pregnant.
    Trying to deceive us Don't you get it . They will do it always if you elect them.

September 2, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  4. Melissa, Los Angeles

I'm sure if one of Obama's daughter got pregnant at the age of 17 and is unwed, the Republicans would have a field day over Obama's leadership as a father therefore how could he lead a nation.

I think it's poor judgement on McCain's part to pick a woman with 5 very young children – one with special needs to be his running mate. I think it's even poorer judgement by Palin accepting the nomination because motherhood is a full time job and one of them is pregnant. I've worked with working mothers and as a single woman it irritates me when I have to pick up the slack when they leave early or not come in at all to tend to a sick child, watch a sporting event or perfomance while I have to stay because I don't have children. Does Palin plan to leave her post early to tend to family issues or does she already have a nanny be the mother for her?

September 2, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  5. dani

maybe I'd be more impressed if she was the governor of state with more issues, more people, more diversity. Alaska has what.... 3 electoral votes. That tells us the it's magnitude in the scheme of things.

The fact that she has been a wife and mother of 5 while keeping 80% of Alaskans happy... tells me it hasn't been the most stressful job on the planet. The fact that she manages Alaska is still pretty far leap to being VP of the US.

I'm not saying she can't do it. After all, unlike most working mom's, I'm sure she's going to have enough staff on hand to make sure diapers get changed and homework done.

I'm going to need something more compelling than she runs Alaska.

September 2, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  6. Charles Springer

This is a highly qualified individual who has proven in her experience as a mayor and governor that she can manage significant challenges. She will have plenty of help with the family.

September 2, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  7. Betty, Miami

Every four years the Republicans try to reinvent themselves by finding new ways to appeal to uneducated, Red(neck) state Americans.

How many times are these idiots going to keep falling for the same ole' ropa dope?

McCain and Palin will be accepting the REPUBLICAN nomination, but want to sell themselves as INDEPENDENTS and "MAVERICKS". Are you kidding me???

Eight years ago, I bet $5 that George W. Bush wouldn't get elected after debating Al Gore on foreign policy. I bet another $5 four years ago, thinking that Americans weren't stupid enough to re-elect him. Lost that too...

I guess all of the cuts in education spending, including sex education, are really starting to pay off.

September 2, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  8. Cezar

well what i think is that her mother should of have been more careful with her daughter, and she is not at an age to be having a baby.

September 2, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  9. KJ Western, MA

Let the games begin.........

This is beyond dirty politics! I am an Independent voter and if I had not already decided to vote for McCain/Palin- I would now for sure.

Unlike Obama, or Biden or even McCain for that matter, Palin is more like "middle class or average" America than any other of these guys.

This is sexest.....pure and simple. If Palin was a man these kind of questions or attacks would not even come up.

Liberals I thought were suppose to be all about shaking off the bonds of past idealogies- looks like they are the ones who are closed minded.

However, keep up the rheotric about the daughter........I have several Dem. friends that are leaning towards McCain now because of the attacks on Palin. So keep it up- you pulling more votes for McCain/Palin.

September 2, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  10. Mary White

Why be critical of McCain for picking a woman? I might have missed it, but did you say anything about Obama picking Biden because of his lack of experience?

September 2, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  11. Greg from Sacramento

Is there a criminal investigation of the father of the child, or are there no statutory rape statutes in alaska? Maybe the Governor swept it under the rug?

September 2, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  12. tst

I don't understand what people complain about Palin can run as a VP or not..... If she can make changes for the State of Alaska, then i say she can handle VP..... there is always a first time for everything and the only way you can get experiences is to be DOING IT!!!!! ..... Her personal challenges is their family challenges.... who are we to judges her or thinking that she can't do the job when elected as VP!!!!! I believe that McCain choice is FANTASTIC and I find it very fascinating that we have a woman for VP..... it is really too bad that Mrs. Clinton did not win..... I did vote for her and was hoping she would win, however, now that McCain chooses Palin for VP..... I believe she can deliver and I'm voting for McCain and Palin!!!!!! People keeps saying that we are going to have another 8 yrs of the same, however, people forgets that once you are in a war you can't just stop.... people needs to go back to Abraham Lincoln history of why we are in war and why we can't just stop!!!!!

September 2, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  13. Betty, Miami

Palin's own mother in law doesn't think she's qualified to be president.

If I were Bristol Palin, I'd be p-o'ed at my mother for putting my teenage pregnancy into the worldwide spotlight. What was she thinking in accepting this nomination????

You can probably assume that Palin's NRA membership means this will be a "shot gun" wedding too...

September 2, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  14. Rhonda, Ontario, Canada

How come no one is talking about the fact that the Palin family is allowing and/or encouraging a 17-year-old child to get married? Baby or not, 17-year-old children should not be getting married and stifling their lives in such a way. I would expect that a strong female role model would want more for her daughter and let her get used to being a mom before asking her to be a wife, too.

September 2, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  15. Jan from Wood Dale, IL

To the best of my knowledge, the Vatican still believes abstinence is the only form of birth control Roman Catholics should use. This is not a political issue, but a personal issue. Religious doctrines can set some guidelines, but we are all given free will to make our own choices. Gov. Palin's daughter made her choices, and she has the complete, unconditional support of her family. That unconditional support is something that should be admired, not criticized.

Not many governors have foreign policy experience. Even some Congressmen and Senators do not. What Gov. Palin brings to the McCain ticket is executive experience. The experience of working with federal and local governments, as well as the state's legislature. The experience of managing a state budget. The experience of being in charge of her state's national guard. The experience of improving the living conditions for the residents of Alaska.

If 80 percent of Alaska's residents believe Gov. Palin has lived up to their expectations of being a good Governor, while being a wife and mother, who are we to criticize?

September 2, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  16. Pat M

Bristol's Pregnancy is not the problem. McCain is the problem! His more than questionable judgement is the problem. His putting his country last and choosing a VP without experience to handle the position is the problem. McCain picking a woman for VP just to secure Hillary Votes is both a problem and an insult to all women and Americans! McCain's out of touch with Americans, is a problem. McCain being a Bush Twin and another War Monger is a problem. McCain's mind is a problem, as his actions and statements depict a man who is in th first stages of senility. McCain's state of health is a problem and especially given his choice for VP, an inexperienced two year Govenor from a State she herself is trying to break a bond Nationally with. Need I go On? Anyone voting for McCain needs a therapist in my view!

September 2, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  17. Joe Ptak

Amy Holmes, Anderson Cooper and the rest of CNN have reached a new low in reporting…total trash. Amazing how CNN kept quite about John Edwards, yet does not hesitate to attack a defenseless 17 year old teenager or her mother, in a very personal family matter, in order to advance CNN’s liberal agenda.

CNN has ceased to be a credible media source.

September 2, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  18. Secert

Frances, why are you attacking Anderson Cooper, it seems to me that you a 80 year old woman support teen pregnancy; it is not Anderson who's running for VP of America. I have aways been told by my mother not to bring shame on the by getting pregnant before marriage and to not lets men used my body has a toliet. Not to disrepect you or thoses who have children out of wedlock but my mother was always there for me and I always listen to everyone word she would say even til' this day. Palin need to step down and give the Republican Party a chance because if she don't I will not vote Republican again.

September 2, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  19. Judy

Well, aren't we a bunch of self righteous people! Even with sex education out there, teens are still getting pregnant. How much of what teens are told by adults stays with them. They have a "it won't happen to me attitude". Even adults get pregnant and say I don't know how it happened. DAH! If you are basing your opinion of Sarah that she can't be a good VP because her daughter is pregnant, then you are as ignorant as teens. If we were all judged in our jobs by what our kids say or do, there would be a lot more jobless people out there.

September 2, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  20. Harold

How about a real issue:
    family affair should stay as such, how about the VP ties to the AIP and their quest for a free Alaska, so much for a united america. this is a real and critical issue that relates to all of us how love and care for this united nation.

September 2, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  21. Ravi

Sarah Palin is small potatoes. She has been Governer of Alaska for less than 2 years. She may be bright but .....

If you are a bright / smart family then if your teenager gets pregnant, you have to review your smartness. You have to question where you went wrong? Maybe you have too much on your plate?

Plus the fact that McCain chose her too rapidly for whatever reason brings us to question if this team is really the best to be in the highest offiice?

McCain chose her since he did not have a better option, that he could go with, looks like he had to make the decision being between a rock & a hard place?

But as Americans he have options, let us not make his ( McCain's ) problems our problem. The country has too much at stake to go with a split second decision like this.

September 2, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  22. mom from texas

I can not believe that the conservative right are being so supportive of a candidate has gone against their family value issues of abstinence. Weren’t the conservative the ones that made such a big deal and condemned President Clinton, saying he disgraced America and set a bad example on the young people of America? Well, in my opinion having a possible VP with a 17 year old daughter that is 5 months pregnant “really sets the right example!” Let’s be real people!! And the media is asking us to embrace Palin? Family values??? Has anyone really given any thought to the daughter who is pregnant? This is a terrible situation for the teen. Please stop being so hypocritical! Can any republican be honest and admit McCain made a bad choice? Iran and North Korea are just loving the idea of possible “hockey mom” in charge! I’m not a republican; however if Mc Cain does win I would like to have confidence that the ticket is strong and qualified to protect us against terrorists and get our economy going. Why there is so much focus on “right to life issues” when there are so many more pressing issues to be dealt with?

September 2, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  23. dani

I am a working mother of 3. I work because I need to. I walk that fine line between career and family. As a woman I want every opportunity that a man has. If I'm qualified for a job I think it's my right to pursue it and get it, if I'm the best candidate. HOWEVER, just because I can, doesn't mean I should. Though I could be 2 of 3 steps higher on the corporate ladder right now, I choose to idle so I can get home at a decent hour , take off if I need to, and try to miss as little of their growing up as possible. This woman is 44-ish... she's got years ahead of her in her career. If you go by her running mate she's still got 30 years to run for every political office she wants... so what's the hurry. Why leave her "special needs" son for someone else to raise? Don't give me she can do both. She's not signing up for a 9-5 job... we're talking travel, the imfamous 3am call. Why put Bristol in the spotlight at this difficult time? As a mother, her #1 priority should be her kids and this just seems like she's putting herself and her career first. So much for family values. She's on tv talking about being happy to be a grandma... when's she going to have time for that when our country needs her to be tackling serious issues? Am I the only one that thinks she's got a lot of distractions.
    I think there's a time and a place for everything. I just don't think this is her time. She's probably very good at what she does. Maybe in a term or 2 she could've run a campaign without having to make a statement every other day about some personal calamity she's having. Already her "private" life is taking away from the issues at hand and she's not even in the white house yet. We're supposed to be making a very important decision in a few weeks and instead of hearing about my financial future, our troops, and putting gas in my car I'm hearing about Palin's personal drama.
    Yeah she has the same issues as the rest of us, but how many of us have to run a country at the same time?

September 2, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  24. Michael, NC

OK, are there this many pessimistic people on this blog, or is this just an easy opportunity for many of you to vent over an issue that does not relate to you in ANY way?
    I am a 19 year old father of a three year old son, Titus. He is the love of my life, and he knows that. I, along with the mother (with whom I am still with) both graduated high school and are both part time students at East Carolina (both in nursing). We both work, go to school, and give our child the best we can, which has turned out to be more than enough for him to flourish.
    Neither my parents or my girlfriend's parents have had to give the better part of their day or money to help us support Titus. We are independent, and know the responsibilities involved.
    I grew up in a functional household with loving parents who were extremely active in my life, but I made a mistake and now I am living with it (although it is NOT a mistake at all and I would not change the outcome if I could).
    Who are you to say that Bristol is irresponsible? Who are you to put the blame on her mother or family? Who are you to say that Sen Palin is not suitable to be in office? You are not in any position to disqualify her, and neither am I. She may preach abstinance and awareness, but how many of you abstained until marriage? THERE'S the real hypocrites. Ourselves.
    Some of us look at the glass half full. Try that out for a change.

September 2, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  25. Judy

I totally agree with Ian's blog. Why would Sara accept this position knowing that her daughter would be drug through the mud by the media? Sara Palin's first job is to protect her daughter. How sorry I feel for poor Bristol. How could her mother allow her daughter to go through this pain and humiliation? What kind of mother is that? She should never have accepted this position.

September 2, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  26. Anne

I meant ask that if the rest of us are wrong for engaging in underage premarital sex ending in out of wedlock pregnancy, but she gets a free pass of judgment? Anyway, whatever my choice was before, I'm completely rethinking it now.

September 2, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  27. victoria carta

what do expect from book burners the party would like to see women bare footed and pregent and call it family values

September 2, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  28. Secert

Mike, John MCcain and Sarah Palin Don't care. John is doing whatever it take to win. He's thinkig like a pilot.

September 2, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  29. Anne

I find it very hypocritical that the religious community is backing Palin just because her daughter CHOSE to keep the baby. In normal situations with the average family, this community would condemn them. Kudos to her for not going with the abortion. However, why would she? Unlike most young girls and their families in the economy, she can afford another mouth to feed. They baby and mother are apparently in good health. It's implied that the sex was consensual. The real issue is not that the girl even became pregnant at all, but that Palin is so content on eliminating citizen's rights to choose...especial under special circumstances. She preaches abstinence, but can't maintain it under her own roof. She gets special treatment and exceptions just because of who she is. Why are the rest of us people (including those who opt out of abortion) but she's a saint all of a sudden? For those young mothers and parents with young mothers SHE'S BASICALLY BEEN SAYING YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!!! Don't be swayed just because you think you can relate to her now. Obviously heaven has a special place only for her.

September 2, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  30. Hats in Texas

I find it fascinating that people think all teens don't have sex and if they do their parents are trash. I believe in abstinence and taught abstinence but you know what? Teens are NORMAL and WILL have sex – no matter what we teach them! What we are doing now is putting all the MALE population in prison and on the sex offender registry for NORMAL behavior! Shoot, now chatting online or in games can put you on the registry even if you need meet!

I sometimes hate these comment sections because some commenters think they are better than everyone else and THEIR child would NEVER have sex before marriage. Sheesh, get real, it happens whether you want to know about it or not – but please do NOT send the boy to prison and on the registry, it's insanity.

September 2, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  31. Judy

I have to agree with Presley and Walker.

When the news of Palin's skeletons starting emerging, I thought, "how many more are we going to find about her?" Evidently, McCain quickly found a woman to fill a void...but, he didn't bother to find out what kind of a world leader she will be if for some reason he is elected president and dies in office. This is a worst case scenario, but a very possible one. She doesn't even begin to compare to a Hillary Clinton. There must have been a Republican woman more worthy and experienced than Palin to be chosen as a running mate for McCain, if he had to choose a woman!

I ask all educated, sane, Americans out there...do you really want Palin as the potential President of the United States? She came from a small town in Alaska...how many people are in Alaska? She served one year as Governor and is now under investigation for using her power to get her ex brother-in-law fired...hmmm? Isn't she supposed to be for "changing" how government operates? She preaches abstinance and her own family apparently doesn't listen to her. Then we find out she supports a radical group in Alaska that wants to secede from the rest of our country! How patriotic of her!

For all those strong-willed Republican women commentators who take "offense" when Palin is taking the heat...she's fair game now, girls! And, by the way, I AM a woman...but I will be voting Democratic!

September 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  32. Sara

This whole thing is completely disgusting. I cannot imagine the feelings of this poor girl who is being turned into a political pawn-first by dailykos and andrew sullivan, and now by the ever-dignified and principled MSM. This girls' personal life is no more my business than Jamie Lynn Spears or any other girl who makes the same mistake that countless women have made through the ages. With all of this righteous indignation you'd think you were all perfect mothers who were virgins when you were married. Doubtful on both counts.

Spouses should not be fair game (and yes, I know that Michelle Obama has been criticized, but she was making stump speeches and political statements. Fair-minded individuals know that is different.) Children should not be fair game. I didn't care when Al Gore's son got in trouble-it was for him to take care of within the family. I thought it was dispicable when the late night folks made fun of Chelsea.

The most infuriating part of all of this is the likes of Wolf Blitzer and Campbell Brown talking about how "people are going to talk about this anyway". Well, if you are those people then yes. Most of us out here simply think that this girl should be left alone. Please, let's talk about real issues: Is Sarah Palin experienced enough? If she isn't then what does it say about Obama's qualifications, especially considering he's at the top of the ticket!? Why was a state official in Alaska fired (aka troopergate)? How about if we actually discuss Obama's association with William Ayers and Tony Rezko? There are real things to talk about. How about their vision of government? I could go on all day..... As much as you, the press, seem to love distractions we out here would love it if you would just get on with it and stop it with the disgusting tabloid journalism. There is already People magazine and Enquirer for that. Do your job!!!

September 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  33. Jonathan Ward

Everyone is talking about Sarah Palins daughter and her child but they are forgetting about Sarah and her baby that has Down syndrome. Sarah Palin is being praised for being a mother and raising five children, but has she really raised her five kids? With her children being so young it seems like there is a lot more raising to do. Her children are still very young and her youngest is a five month old infant that has special need. How will she make that bond with her baby, run the white house and still make time for her other children? Is she really a good mother? Her infant child needs a lot of attention and I don’t believe she will be there to give it to her child. Palin is against Abortion so she has a child who has Down syndrome and her plan is to let a nanny raise the new baby while she tries to run the White House. A nanny that the American tax payers we be paying for. I think she is selfish and she is delusional if she thinks she has good family values.

September 2, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  34. Mindy Chatsworth, Ca.

The right wing conservatives have made it their business and everybody else's when it comes to the private lives of political candidages. They have reaped what they have sown.

It is the right wing conservatives who decry premarital sex and teenage pregnancy. Well, now one of their own, their presumptive vice-presidential nominee, appears to be dealing with that very problem. If this was Hillary Clinton's daughter, then all of the right wing zealots like Rush Limbaugh and Fox News would be expressing their outrage.

Palin is unqualified to be a heartbeat away from the presidency because she has NO foreign policy experience, has only run a very small state government for barely two years and is an opportunist who is currently under investigation. Enough said.

September 2, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  35. suki

I am an ardent Obama supporter and have been since 2004 and while I agree with him that candidates children should be off-limts. Palin who has no experience on the national level amd has an iffy record at best in her native Alaska is now clearly more than ever the worst choice that McCain could have made.

As a woman I am insulted that McCain thought we would flock to him because he choose a woman – he thought we just would say oh great finally a female VP – McCain continues to show how out of touch he is – this pick is the most frightening thing that has happened to America since Bush/Cheney – I hope that Americans see this for what it is – a desperate attempt by McCain to win this election

September 2, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  36. nerakami, Miami

The GOP has mastered the art of negative-attack-style-politics. They ought to know, (after all they created it) that Palin and her entire family would be put through the media scrutiny.

Mrs. Palin chose to accept the VP position knowing exactly what is happening in her family, 4 month old baby and pregnant teenager. I am a mother of a daughter with mental issues and I would never, ever put her in a position to be judged and/or scrutinized by others who do not know her history. NEVER.... I made the choice to move countries ! just to make sure she has the right treatment... we all make sacrifices for our children, and I do question Mrs. Palin's decision to put her political aspirations ahead of her family's well being...

Do not blame the public's interest in these matters because it calls into question many things about John McCain and Sarah Palin's decisions and choices on so many levels. This is not a one dimensional issue and is a very valid part of the political discussion.

Lastly, we are finally seeing the Republicans able to swing the most devastating attack ads and yet, are unable to take the heat...
    It's the law of Karma folks... you must reap what so ever you sow.

September 2, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  37. Lauren Chiaramonte

No family is immune to the kinds of challenges facing the Palin family... teen pregnancy and special needs babies are not challenges to be judged. They are challenges that require time, attention, and all the love and compassion in the world. We will never truly know if Bristol "decided" on her own to raise this baby, or even marry this boy. We do know that providing excellent care for a Downs Syndrome baby goes so far beyond "the best medical care in the world" – there will be daily victories and daily challenges that only time will reveal. Both Bristol and Trig will need their mom – and their dad, and their siblings. But the role a mother plays in family management has no equal and is irreplaceable. Sarah Palin is an accomplished woman who serves both her community and her family. However, the role of the Vice President requires time and attention at a profoundly different level than that of local government. Sarah Palin is facing the conundrum of all professional women who are mothers – prioritizing. Sarah Palin is 44 years old. Four years from now, or even eight years from now, she will bring even more experience and wisdom to the Vice Presidency, should she be chosen. In the meantime, her daughter needs her, her infant son needs her, and her daughter's baby will need her. There is still much to be accomplished in Alaska – Sarah, come back to Washington once your family is back on more solid ground.

September 2, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  38. Samantha

Having women involved in politics is certainly a needed thing and a wonderful thing. We need more women to get actively involved in their community and country.

However wheather you are a man or a women if your family is having major issues, they need your undivided attention. Not to say that Palin would not make a good VP because of her circumstances but it is imperative to look at what’s really important.

Putting your family first!

Naturally this could happen to anyone. Now that this has happened to her she should focus on helping her daughter raise her child and help her husband raise their son.

Niegther her or her husband should be dedicated to anything that takes them away from their family at long periods of time. If her children were a lot older and independent then I would support her with making such a decision as being the VP.

Samantha, CA

September 2, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  39. lampe

You people are idiots: I am much more concerned about how any man, could let his children sit in a church and listen to the hate-filled evil remarks of a crazy man. I am much more concerned about if Obama, learned how to make bombs. from his friend Ayers. I am much more concerned about a women, whose husband is running, for POTUS, making comment, like White People are down-right evil, and for the first time in my life I am proud of America. These are things that you should be worried about, not if some 17 year old girl, is going to have a baby. How much more like regular people, can they be. They have a son, in the service, and a child with an unplanned pregnancy. If that isn't what most families in this world are dealing with I don't know what is.

September 2, 2008 at 1:40 pm |
  40. Mary Wilson

We are republicans, but this time we have to vote democrat.
    We cannot support a VP cadidate who opposes womens freedom to
    choose,and may use her power to overturn the abortion law. Can she
    force that high school thug to marry her doughter ,when he is not interested
    in marrying her, and stated that he does not want any kids.
    He uses vulgar language on the top of it.
    A good mother should prevent such a disaster by allowing her doughter
    to be on birth control . Bristol an unmorried mother without completing
    her high school education, will be a bad example to our teenages.

September 2, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  41. Sandy Gioudiullo

Would it be unreasonable to assume Gov. Palin would find it impossible to be unbiased in governing since her husband's income is dependent on big oil?? While the 'show goes on' palin's ties to Big Oil should be an obvious point to explore since her husband works for the oil companies, and his job is dependent on continued exploration. Could Palin be expected to be impartial in chosing between 'green' legislation vs crude oil? On the other hand, is there any legislation that would prevent her husband taking a job an an oil company lobbyist should his wife become V.P.????

September 2, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  42. Rick

It seems to me one of the issues about Bristol Palin's pregnancy is how quicky gave her up to public humiliation for the sake of Sarah Palin's political career. Sarah Palin put the news out about her daughters pregnancy in response to a question about her latest child. Is this the calibre of person that should be a heart beat from the presidency

September 2, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  43. Julia

It is disgusting to hear to your left-wing lies trying to tear down a great V.P. pick like Governor Sarah Palin and her family. MANY, many, many women can identify with this women and her family.

By your left-wing bias “spew” it is only fair to demand to know how often Chelsea Clinton and Amy Carter have sex and what kind of birth control methods they use…..or don’t use………it is exactly the same thing!

Your reporting is disgusting. It will backfire in your left-wing faces.

September 2, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  44. Tina Rob

Palin is an extraordinary brilliant woman and struggling mother with her kids. Her daughter’s pregnancy shouldn’t be an issue for her career. But the job she is applying for is not about being a woman or mother. It’s about credentials.

18 million voters supported Hillary because she deserves not because she is a woman only.

If her angry voters votes for Mrs. Pilan that would prove that she is just a woman, not an extraordinary ready to be commander in chief!! She cannot be substituated by anyone!! Hillary deserves more respect and honor for her wonderful career and journey throughout this election campaign.

September 2, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  45. Jennifer Bell

Aside from the issue of McCain's judgment that Palin's choice for VP raises, what does it say about Ms. Palin that she would be willing to put her 17 year old daughter into the intense media scrutiny and criticisms that her nomination would engender?

September 2, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  46. Lana - Ohio

Would anyone of us be debating this issue if Bristol Palin was 27, pregnant and unmarried and not 17? What if she was 27 and had an abortion? Would this affect her mother's run? Of course, it wouldn't. Teen pregnancy is common problem and we cannot blame the parents of the teens. This has nothing to do with Governor Palin's credibility nor does it say she is a bad parent. It merely shows she is human. Besides, Jamie Lynn Spears' pregnancy was made into a good thing by the media. However, I do think that Bristol Palin should have been more responsible knowing she was always in the spotlight, but that is issue that really makes no difference at this point.

September 2, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  47. Susan OH IO!

It seems to me that everyone is looking for "Perfection"....and I am sorry, but
    life just isn't like that. Give the McCain/Palin ticket a chance, quit judging and leave that to the Lord we serve. I was always told "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"......I can only hope everyone can see that we need to give them a chance in this imperfect world, in our imperfect lives.

September 2, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  48. Roy P

Palin's teen daughter is pregnant. This article was way out of line. I spent 25 years in the military protecting your right to report the news. If any thing happens to this young lady or her baby, will contact all my senators and congressman and ask for a review of your license too broadcast. My wife almost had me convinced to vote for Obama. Your reporting this is repulsive.

September 2, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  49. amelia from texas

The Palin pregnancy raises a huge question about the judgment of both McCain and Sarah Palin - knowing the facts and knowing our collective appetite for dirt, how could a wise person ever choose to put her daughter in this glaring spotlight. Bristol is now the poster child for Abstinence-only education. Works well doesn't it?

But more important, how can we trust and respect either McCain or Palin, who both say they are all right and supportive of Bristol's pregnancy –AND THEN HIDE THAT PREGANCY UNDER LITTLE TRIG AND A BABY BLANKET ON THE NATIONAL STAGE. That is such HYPOCRISY. Either let Bristol walk out as she is, or if SHE is not comfortable, let her stay back stage, but don't tell me you are okay with it and then use baby Trig as a cover.

September 2, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  50. k whitehead

My problem is not a pregnant daughter. It is her own 5 month old baby. Family values? Who is going to raise this child? A nanny?
    I would love to know how one runs a country while trying to take care of a baby. I REALLY do not understand this VP choice!

September 2, 2008 at 1:25 pm |