September 2nd, 2008

Palin's Pregnancy Problem

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/02/art.vert.palin.jpg caption="Bristol Palin, 17, holds her brother Trig during the campaign rally" width=292 height=320]

Editor's Note: Sally Quinn founded and co-moderates 'On Faith', a blog from the Washington Post and Newsweek. Co-moderated by Newsweek editor and bestselling author Jon Meacham and hosted by a panel of renowned religious scholars of all denominations, On Faith is the first worldwide, interactive discussion about religion and its impact on global life. Here is a recent blog:

Sally Quinn
Washington Post reporter

My first reaction was shock. Then anger. John McCain chose a running mate simply because she is a woman and one who appealed to the Republican's conservative evangelical base. Now, with news that Palin's 17-year-old unmarried daughter is pregnant, McCain's pick may not even find support among "family values" voters.

It has happened before, of course. Geraldine Ferraro was chosen as the Democratic vice presidential nominee in 1984 because she was a woman, but that was 24 years ago. I thought we were past this. Apparently not. McCain's choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate is a cynical and calculated move. It is a choice made to try to win an election. It is a political gimmick. And it's very high risk. I find it insulting to women, to the Republican party, and to the country.

This is nothing against Palin. From what little we know about her, she seems to be a bright, attractive, impressive person. She certainly has been successful in her 44 years. But is she ready to be president?

And now we learn the 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, is pregnant.

Read More...

Filed under: Raw Politics
  1. Larry

Now my daughter thinks it's OK to be sexually active or pregnant due to the fact Palin's teen daughter is pregnant this is more stress for my family and I. Palin can not control her home how can she control the White House.
    GOD works in mysterious ways why are there several hurricanes during the NRC because it will always storm if Mccain wins this election, we the working class will suffer 4 or more years (4 hurricanes hit or developed during the RNC).

September 2, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  2. Mike from Texas

At least Bristol Palin is only pregnant. It's not like she's shooting up heroin like the Kennedy kids. At least she's not using cocaine and speed like the Gore kids. At least she wasn't arrested numerous time on gun and methamphetamine charges like House Speaker Jim Wright's daughter and son-in-law were. No, she's only pregnant and she's marrying the father.

September 2, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  3. Summer

As I read the blogs, I keep reading people write about how the issue with the Palin family should not be looked at by the American people, but I disagree. If you look at Senator McCain's record, you will see that he is NOT in favor of the right of a woman to choose or many forms of birth control. I agree with many of you, teenagers will be teenagers. They wont listen to their parents and they think they are immune to reality. But if conservatives and these people known as "evangelicals" preach abstinence as we all know how well that works (ask yourself, ask Bristol). These people should at least open their mind to the fact that life happens, but a woman can at least be responsible enough to make educated decisions about the rest of her life. As you can see with Ms. Palin's daughter, she could have used birth control, now she will be having a baby at 17!

September 2, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  4. frances

Anderson,I am a 80yearold grandmother and greatgrandmother,I am so dispointed in you for even talking about this on your news I have watch you faithful and I guess I have always put you above this,This is so sad for the young girl,it can happen to the most religious families who knows what will happen down the way -say if Obama gets to be our president (God forbid) will we kick him out of office if one of his beautiful girls comes up pregnant and not married,how sad that Bristol is even in the news about this,I would expected this from over on the other news msnbc with good old boys like Keith & Chris(Gag) I just hope her the best ,and the best for our United States withMcCain & Sarah Palin in office

September 2, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  5. JJ

I think if the McCain Campaign knew about the pregnency they should have issued a statement on Saturday, the day after announcing Sara Paylin as his pick for VP and headed off all of this controversy just like like David Patterson, Gov. of NY did when he was sworn in as Gov. He came right out, said he had an affair, it was a family matter and he and his wife were dealing with it privately. Which makes me believe McCain did not know and the reason why they're doing all this back-pedaling. I don't think they would have had a pregnent 17 year old up not on just a National stage, but on an International Stage. The whole world is watching this.

September 2, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  6. ag lew

I believe that Gov Palin tried to deceive the American people by having her daughter holding her brother like that on stage covering up her stomach with the baby. This only came out because God revealed this about her daughter – but Governor Palin was a deceit about this and just as God revealed her other investigation to the American public with her using her POWER over her ex brother-in law – is this really the kind of leadership we as a country want? I don't think so because God is revealing this woman and people are not paying attention. This has nothing to do with holier than thou or her daughter making a "mistake' this has to do with principle.

But on the other hand,

I want to thank the Republican party for choosing a woman because should they happen to win and Palin becomes President then Democrat Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will be second in command – Is this country really ready for WOMEN to LEAD?

September 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  7. Pat Glass

Why are we only hearing about the Palin female and this pregnancy. You know it takes two to make a baby so why not pick on the male for awhile and leave the girl alone. The media people should go cover the news and quit talking about the gossip stories. Bristol Palin does not deserve all this negative stuff even though she has made a mistake. Go cover the father of the child and give equal treatment. Pat

September 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  8. Elisabeth

My heart goes out to Bristol who was thrust onto the international stage at a vulnerable stage of her life. I fault both parents (Palin and husband) for putting their egoistical needs before that of their children. Then to make it worse they think the should tell me how I should raise my children and want to take away any control and decisions I or my children might need to make over our bodies? Sorry Mrs. Palin, you threw open the door to Bristol's private life and your own. I do hope you really gave your daughter a real choice in the matter but I resent that you would take any choice away from me and mine.
    The Republican party has left me crushed in the dirt and this selection is the last nail in the coffin. Now to check into Barr and Obama and see if I can find any real good moral values out there that good in hand with smart decision making.

September 2, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  9. Lisa Reeves

I am so glad the Obama camp is taking the "High Road" on the Palin issue. McCain and his antics to out shine Obama has failed once again; And the best part about it, is that we democrats are doing nothing to fuel it. McCain and his campaign have enough rope to hang themselves. If McCain is chosen to be president (God help us), I would be fearful every night that should something happens to McCain, that Palin (with no experience) would be the one in charge. How can anyone honestly compare her executive experience, and leadership abilities to Obama. That notion is ridiculous! She can not compare her staff of 50 to Obama's staff of 3000. This proves that the McCain camp are grasping at straws, saying and doing anything to win. McCain loves to make the comment, "I would rather loose the campaign and win the war" but at what price would the Americans right here on US soil pay should McCain become president?

September 2, 2008 at 1:10 pm |
  10. Kin

Get over it. Americans are tired of biased opinions!

September 2, 2008 at 1:09 pm |
  11. Juanita

I respect the fact that Palin is a mother and wife and gov. What I haven't heard is how far her education was. Where does she have a degree from and for what major? There has been no comment on how she can be second in command and look after her newborn with special needs. She might be able to do it all but my question is n't quality over quanity more important. Should she not put her children and their needs over politial desires. Can republicans just keep on saying that she has more experience than Obama just because she is a governor of a state. A state that has no major metropolitan cities in it and does not have to deal with real big city problems. I would argue the mayor of New York has more qualifications with running goverment or the Mayor of Los Angeles. When most big city mayors have more experience is she really ready to be Vice President?

September 2, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  12. Secert

it's interesting to see what Republican’s conservative evangelical has to say. I can't help but to think if this was Obama oldest child what would be said. Being a evengelical myself I think back to 1 Tim 3rd chapter 1-7. It's interesting to know how my fellow brothers & sisters, feel and think. We are taught not to judge for by the same judgement we will also be judge. Life is to short and I respect the childs decision to keep the child; but i feel Palin should step down and allow the Republican Party a chance.

As the book of 1 Timothy 3 Chapter says. How can one rule the house of God if they can not rule their own. Therefore, I am not judging Parlin this is just the word of GOD.

September 2, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  13. Maggie

With Hurricane Gustav pounding the Gulf Coast and 2 plus million U.S. citizens displaced due to Gustav, with Hurricane Hannah and Tropical Storm Ike menacing U.S. soil in a few days, I was appaled that CNN chose to make Bristol Palin's pregnancy it's Top Story. Once again, the liberal media, in it's gun ho push to speed up their Chosen One's (Obama) coronation, has stooped to an all time low. I too was a single unwed mother once and was blessed with the support and understanding of my parents. As a woman, a mother of two grown sons and an infant granddaughter, I am disgusted with CNN's coverage of this situation. CNN fair and unbaised? Yeah right. It brings back memories of a few months ago when the media made every effort to portray Hillary Clinton as an evil power monger. I was not happy with McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for VP. Thank you CNN, now, I will throw my full support to the McCain/Palin ticket. And Campbell...shame on you! You are a disgrace to womankind.

September 2, 2008 at 1:07 pm |
  14. maxine

First you are my favorite reporter. This is my first time ever, blogging with you. I want to say that Mr. McCain's is not right in his thinking that the press should not discuss, all the details about anyone who is trying to get any job at the White House. If a person has the right to tell you only good things about themselves and their family, that live with them, then we would not have crime problem at the high rate it is at now, because every person comming out of jail would just show up in a nice suit or dress at the White House and ask for a job and live happly ever after. Many people who have done, something wrong, and have went to jail for it, wish the could re-write their pass, or at least wish that no one had to know about it, the press has to tell what they know about anyone wanting a job at the White House. This is as simple as I can put it. If you want to work at White House, tell us everything about yourself, and if you don't we will still find out!

September 2, 2008 at 1:07 pm |
  15. Drew, Boston

I for one don't think that Palin's daughter should be an issue in this campaign....BUT....since this woman supports abstenence and doesn't believe in sex ed, I feel it should be looked at. After all, how can you preach to people about abstenence and values when your own 17yr old daughter gets pregnant. The Republican party is filled with nothing but a bunch of hypocrits. First they say Obama doesn't have enough experience, then McCain picks Palin who has even less. She just got a passport within the past two years, I mean could she even point to iraq on a map? Now, her daughter is pregnant and all the Republicans are accepting it with open arms. All I ever hear from them is Abstenence and pre-marital sex is wrong. Give me a break!!

September 2, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  16. jamie m.

At least Sarah's daughter is doing the right thing and has decided to get married.

Obama wants to kill babies and raise taxes. Palin wants to kill high taxes and raise babies.

September 2, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  17. Mike

I just can't believe that Sarah Palin would risk exposing her own daughter to this level of national scrutiny. This young girl was already facing the most challenging situation of her young life, she didn't need this. How could John McCain and Sarah Palin be willing to sacrifice this young girl? It's disgusting.

September 2, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  18. Kat D.

I'm a first timer out here, but I finally have to speak my mind. I'm Canadian and therefore, MY opinion politically doesn't matter. However, Bristol and her 'situation' should completely be left out of any political debate. Her mother, is obviously not off limits. The republicans need to get off the MORAL highroad as their stance year after year, since they've been found with egg on their faces more than a few times. Get back to the issues for governing a country. And btw, my opinion, you know, the one that doesn't matter...I'd be a total Democrat if I could...and even if I wasn't, there are far more Republicans better equiped to be VP than Palin.

September 2, 2008 at 12:56 pm |
  19. Gloria

From the start it was obvious to me that McCain's choice of Palin was an impulsive and politically calculated move. And now I am even more convinced since I learned that Leiberman was actually McCain's choice until he was strongly urged by others in his campaign to not choose Leiberman because that choice would have really upset his base. I am an older Independent female voter and I am insulted by his choice– in the sense that he has chosen a woman mainly to attract Hillary's disgruntled supporters and to also pander to the Evangelicals– without giving sufficient thought to her "zero" experience and knowledge re: foreign affairs. The fact that she is a governor of a state that is in close proximity to Russia just doesn't cut it for me. Also, what does selling a plane on e-bay have anything to do with her competence to be a VP!!!!!! And the fact that she is the mother of five holds no weight for me. I am a mother of two. Wake up, America, and see the situation as it is!!!!!

September 2, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  20. Durell

I guess Sarah Palin is into shotgun weddings. Many teenage girls get pregnant before they leave the nest, but I found it interesting that Gov. Palin and here family made a group decision to keep the baby. Given Gov. Palin stance on abortion, was her decision to keep the baby related to adoption or abortion? Roe v. Wade is about choices, to include adoption. Given Gov. Palin position in this matter, her daughter doesn't seem to have a choice. Gov. Palin was avid sports enthusist and appears to be very indepedant. After her daughter has the baby, will she be an average happy teeanage mother without discovering life as indepedant adult. I hope this is Sarah Palin's daughter's choice and not Sarah Palin's choice.

September 2, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  21. David M. Regione

Most everyone on the religious right say how proud they are about Sarah's Palin standing by and supporting her daughter and I do not disagree and think that this is what she should do.

However I think that the wrong questions are being asked and focused on.

The question I would like someone to ask – and I have not heard anyone ask – and what I think should be the main point of this topic as it relates to Gov. Palin, is her position on sex education in school, abstinence and the use of condoms.

Since Gov. Palin and others on the religious right teach abstinence, are against sex education in school and against the use of condoms and yet one of their own daughter's are sexually active and are not practicing save sex and become pregnant how can they keep supporting and forcing these positions on others when they are not even effective in there own family?

September 2, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  22. Arachnae

I don't blame Palin for accepting the position. How could she or anyone turn down such an opportunity?

Sally, I certainly blame Palin for accepting the position. Given her lack of experience and knowledge, it was her duty to decline the honor. That she didn't tells us a great deal about both her outsided ego and her lack of understanding of what public service means.

September 2, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  23. Amanda

Women can do anything they want to do, I was raised to believe this and am raising my daughters to believe this. That said, when you choose to become a mother you make a commitment to put the children first, that is what LOVE is. As a mother of three, one currently an infant and another with special needs, I know how all consuming good child rearing can be and exhausting!!! I stay at home, have two in school and can barely keep up, I am up in the night with my six month old and sometimes can barely string a sentence together. I can also speak to the daily fear one feels when their loved one is deployed to Iraq, my husband spent 18 months there as convoy security. As a woman, I am proud of Palin's accomplishments, but I am confused by her decisions as a mother. She needs to step down and come back when her children are older and don't need her as much. I don't want a VP whose priorities are as confused as Palin's are.

September 2, 2008 at 12:47 pm |
  24. Kris

Anderson, can you please ask Governor Palin how many military commanders will be fired if her son gets injured in Iraq? how she can manage a nation if she cannot manage her family well enough to keep her daughter out of the streets and avoid pregnancy at 17yrs old. why she could not afford folic acid during her pregnancy instead of displaying a sick baby to gain political sympathy and lastly, why she chose hypocrisy instead of sincerity?

September 2, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  25. Stephen

Everything Quinn said about Palin could be said about Obama, "he seems to be a bright, handsome, impressive person. But is he ready to be President?" Maybe women should never aspire to be CEO's of companies or industry leaders or political office because life may happen while you're on the job and you need to rush home. Your disturbing message to young women around the country: if you want to get anywhere in life you better not have a family! Your message to men: be the breadwinner, your wife shouldn't leave the house to work and you aren't qualified to raise a family! You and all of the other liberals that control the mainstream media and hollywood are threatened by her because she helps McCain. I suppose you really think Obama picked the most qualified candidate for his running mate? Be honest! Millions of women disagree with you and will show you their thoughts at the voting booth. My wife is an independent who usually votes democrat but not this time.

September 2, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  26. Renee

Trig has Down's. While Down's may be serious if you want to make it that way most children just intergrate with life.

He will have 4 older siblings and a father to take care of him. Plus if she becomes VP Trig will have access to some of the best medical care in the world. Let his mother be VP if she wants to be VP and if the nation thinks she and McCain are the best candidates.

The bigger question in my mind is how old is old is Bristol's boyfriend and will he be charged with rape in the state of Alaska?

September 2, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  27. TESAP;SAVANNAH, GA

I am sorry put this does take from Palin.. because we do not know anything about her. She was introduced as a woman with "FAMILY VALUES'........Now we hear that "Bristol" is going to marry the father of the child... somehow I believe they are being forced.... Thsi should keep the MCcain campaign from mentioning family values....

REMEMBER THE UPROAR ABOUT JAMIE LYNN SPEARS.... HER MOM WAS WRITING A PARENTING BOOK.........

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.......... PREACH WHAT YOU PRACTICE..........

September 2, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  28. walker

It amazes me that everyone is now saying that Palins daughters pregnancy has nothing to do with her becoming VP...when Barack was thrown under the bus for Rev Wrights remarks that had nothing to do with him becoming President.....Palin has sent the message to teenage girls that it is OK to have babies???? What happened to the word ABSTINANCE. We all make mistakes, but this a major message that McCain/Palin is sending to our youth...McCain should have thought a bit more responsibly when he made the decision to pick her as his running mate! Besides what a slap in the face to the women across America to use this tactic...He made this decision after Barack did not choose Hillary for his running mate and now trying to sway voters his way..If he was a strong politician, he wouldn't have to use such juvenile measures...I've decided to vote DEMOCRATE!

September 2, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  29. Presley

Wow, now this is a response. After reading the enitire blog I read the comments as well, lots of self righteous chest pounding. That was disturbing.
    I have no qualms with this blog, IT IS A HUMAN REACTION to a situation that under NORMAL circumstances for a family would be difficult, The Palin's ARE NOT LIVING IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Palin is being flamed not for being a WOMAN but being the woman WE WERE TOLD she was supposed to be. I'll keep saying it, she puts the family out on display, then we are somehow not allowed to have an opinion, we are not supposed to point out the gender issue, we are then berated if we treat her like a mother, wife, woman.
    Which is it? What are we allowed to think about it and voice and what are we not allowed? Where can I look but have to put up my blinders too? I can share reverence for a Woman of power but can't criticize her? With all the double standards, three card Monty games about finding what exactly I am supposed to do, the GOP answers to this DRAMA with more deception and flat out lies but I am supposed to accept it and only listen with my one ear and only see blindly.
    Selective Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil, right?
    Oh and marrying at 17 won't make it all better. OOPS, I wasn't supposed to think about that was I. Damn that pesky selective sensory glitch.

September 2, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  30. Mary White

wold like to know what is so terrible about J.McCain picking a woman. I think it was a no brainer and his chocie is great as far as I am concerned. Your snide remarks are uncalled for. A lot of everyday folks can relate to her having a 17 year old daughter who is pregnant. My own daughter found herself pregnant. at 15, chose to keep the baby and went on to put herself through nursing school and has been an RN for many years. I am very proud of her. Her and the babies father also chose to get married. My grandaughter has also accomplished
    much in her life. She is the mother of three. Making me a very proud great grandmother.
    A proud parent and grandparent.

September 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  31. Ewa

The fact that Palin's 17-year old daughter is pregnant
    does not reflect badly on anyone.

It's a happy news for someone who's life is privilaged
    and who's baby will most likely have the best care and life.
    Whether she's married or not does not change the fact that she's pregnant. She should be afforded privacy just like everyone else
    deserves privacy.

Americans in general seem to want to know other's business
    and tell others how to live. In a land of the free and the brave we should welcome liberal views. After all a liberal could be a conservative who choses to live their life in a conservative way
    but lets other live their life according to their own values.

It would really be great if Palin's daughter turned out to
    be a homosexual and chose to marry her partner in Canada.
    Maybe then Americans could consider that people
    should not be judged on the bases of their gender, color, choice
    or their sexual orientation etc.

September 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  32. JT

Pregnant at 17 is obviously not usual. It is probably hard for the family but they are trying to make it right.

Maybe that is the bigger question, what or how do you handle life challenges?

They said she will keep the baby and she will marry the father.

Life is not perfect, human is not perfect.

The government is not perfect, organizations are not perfect, businesses are not perfect that is why leaders, managers are hired to solve problems.

By the way, Obama was born to a 18 year old mother. He seems to be doing OK.

September 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  33. betty even

Sarah Palin, to this day supports and spoke words of encouragement to the AIP political party at their 2008 Convention, a secessionist organization whose platform still includes secession by Alaska and whose founding member, Joe Vogler, refused to be considered an American citizen: “I’m an Alaskan, not an American. I’ve got no use for America or her damned institutions.”

September 2, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  34. Michelle

I agree with you Sally...it's nothing against Palin...it's about Mccains poor judgement to effectively run this country.

September 2, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  35. Gary Chandler in Canada

If you really want EXCITEMENT, call for a Candidate / Running Mate Debate!
    McCain and Palin are deeply divided on the abortion issue and birth control, as well as stem cell research and funding for pro choice groups.
    abortion in rape or incest cases – teaching safe sex in high schools, women over 40 – not sure of the stem cell as McCain's flop or flip on this on this issue is tough to nail down – McCain has voted to fund pro choice groups.
    ((They BOTH agree abortion will never be decriminalised, so WHY make a pro life an election issue!?)) FLOP FLIP
    you know WHY the polls are close, the Dems target educated Americans with brains, the Repubs target lug nuts – Of COURSE they have the majority advantage! lol (FYI lug nuts, there are more of you than them , get it?)
    ----
    Of course McCain might be reading Limvbaugh's marching orders and NOW agree with Palin's radical beliefs.

September 2, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  36. Mike

The fact that Palin's daughter is pregnant should not be an issue in this election. These things happen in America. It happens to the best families and the best parents. The bigger issue is that Sarah Palin and John McCain knowingly put a bull eye on the back of a 17 year old girl. They knew exactly how the press and the country would react to this news and they decided it wasn't a big deal. This young girl was already facing the most challenging situation of her young life and she was thrust into the national spotlight by her own mother and John McCain. Sarah Palin is willing to sacrifice her own daughter for political gain. This is an issue of integrity, not family values.

September 2, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  37. dory

Palin is a last minute choice of desperation. Her skeleton filled closet aside – what does this choice say about McCain's judgement?

September 2, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  38. David W, Florida

I'm a moderate democrat who has admired McCain's maverick in the past but have watch him play hand of the far right politics more lately than compared to his long career in the house and senate. His decision to go with Miss. Alaska over Joe, Mitt, or Charlie kills any chance of my vote going in his direction.

If by chance 72 y/o McCain makes it to the Whitehouse, I pray he survives the first term. I also pray that the Palin family has weighed the heavy costs of accepting McCain's offer; An offer that may have best been declined given the existing personal challenges for Mr and Mrs Palin.

September 2, 2008 at 12:22 pm |
  39. Cindy

There is no pregnancy problem. The fact is that it is a private family matter that doesn't concern CNN or anyone else.

I find it funny that everyone on CNN says over and over that it's a private matter and it shouldn't be talked about but yet here we are again rehashing everything. CNN needs to get a backbone and actually start reporting news and not tabloid stuff.

As far as what Palin believes or stands for well no one can control what their kids do. You can preach abstinence, birth control or anything else and it falls on the kid to follow up on it. If they choose not to then what can the parent do?

On the abstinence versus sex ed thing...Both are taught in school now yet we have the highest teen pregnancy rate ever. So neither telling them not to have sex or giving out condoms and teaching them about sex seem to be working!

Cindy...Ga.

September 2, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  40. tam

actually palins pregnancy problem is that the baby is her grand son, not her son.

And depending what the laws are in alaska governing coverage for children, grandchildren and foster children, this could insurance fraud as well.

September 2, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  41. Elaine Hendrix

Palin as the choice for a running mate is terrifying for numerous reasons, not the least of which – if she can't even lead her own family to adopt her beliefs (i.e. abstinence) then how the heck is she going to lead a country? Not that I would want to adopt any of her beliefs anyway. As a woman, I think not only does she set us back 40+ years with some of her ideals, but this whole political play of having a young woman on the ticket seems no different than than if she were selling herself on some street corner. I do NOT consider this a historical moment. I consider this a great tragedy, not to mention a completely surreal one. She makes HIlary Clinton look like a saint.

September 2, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  42. Maureen in California

During Palin's announcement of her daughter's pregnancy, she made a point to promote her religious and political beliefs by praising her daughter for keeping the baby. By doing this, she opened the door to criticism. I agree with Obama's position on this matter. The daughter should not be used in any political way. But Gov. Palin can't have it both ways. She can't promote her religious and political agendas while asking for privacy at the same time. She should have ONLY asked for privacy for her daughter. Gov. Palin should not have used her daughter to try to gain votes by promoting her religion.

September 2, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  43. Paul from Ohio

On the news of Palin’s daughter’s pregnancy, it is obviously a difficult situation for the Palin family, and the media should indeed stay clear of judgments about the family members. However, questions around Gov Palin’s own judgment should not be off limits. I’m not talking about the abstinence issue nor about the “politics vs. media” scrutiny debate. I hope that young Bristol Palin will beat the odds that are now stacked against her. That is, under “normal” circumstances, the trifecta of an unwanted pregnancy, a staunch pro-life stance which brings that baby to term and a teenage marriage (likely under duress) would imply a high likelihood of divorce. It may not happen here – and I truly hope it does not, but in the real world (without the added trappings of the Governor's mansion – or perhaps even the White House), the moral strictures of the Palin family would saddle most normal 17- year old girls in Bristol's position with the unfortunate future of single parenthood with many, many regrets. Mrs. Palin's VP candidacy may gain her residence at the Naval Conservatory but with the possible tradeoff of potentially ruining her daughter's life.
    If you think that my last sentiment is extreme, I challenge every parent to ask themselves one question: what does a 17-year old truly know about love (what did you yourself know about love at age 17) – and if not for love, is marriage not a sham?
    I have to reiterate, Bristol Palin may be an extraordinary young lady and she may very well beat the odds, and Mrs Palin's faith in her daughter may be well founded in a deep understanding of her daughter's fortitude and character. But her gamble – as opposed to Sen McCain’s gamble on choosing Gov Palin to be a heartbeat away from leading the free world – was at least based on 17 years of history.

September 2, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  44. Malena

It's an insult to women intelligence to expect or even think that we're going to vote for an unfitt mother as Sarah Paulin. How she could be in control of her office when she's not in control of her own daugther. The hipocrecy of the fanatic evengelist is apaulling. The new baby born has tons of special needs. Well, his mother prefers to be in a political campaign instead of taking care of him. Sarah Paulin is the worst mother I've ever seen. (I'm also a working mother and I know what it takes to take care of your children when they are young.)

September 2, 2008 at 12:05 pm |
  45. Ian

While I agree that in some respects the children of candidates should be off-limits, it is also naive to think that something like this would not be covered in the press. Where I do believe this goes to the character of Sarah Palin is in the follwoing question:

If you knew your 17 year old daughter was pregnant, would you accept the nomination for Vice-President of the United States, knowing that her face and her "indiscretion" would be splashed all over the world?

What kind of parents would do that do their child?

September 2, 2008 at 12:04 pm |
  46. Alice Hoover

Abstinence as birth control does not work. If these children had been using protection, this would be a non issue. Sex is going to happen....even if your mother is governor. Safe sex would have made this bizarre situation a little less bizarre.

September 2, 2008 at 12:04 pm |
  47. Amy from Long Island

With her Abstinence-Only education stance, there is no way I want her making decisions about MY family when her decisions have clearly failed in HER own family.

I feel sorry for Bristol who has been thrust into the limelight unwillingly over this issue, but unfortunately, with her mother's pro-life, anti birth-control, pro abstinence-only policies being a huge part of her politics, it's a legitimate issue to discuss. If Sarah Palin's own policies don't work in HER home, how does she expect they'll work for the rest of us.

And, if the shoe were on the other foot, if Barack Obama had a teenage daughter that was found out to be pregnant, the republican attack dogs would be out in full force!

September 2, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  48. Michelle

Personally, I think it is nobody's business. Just as it should
    have been for conservative talkers and bloggers when it
    came to Jamie Lynn Spears. The only thing that made this
    news wash that the Palin family released a statement on the
    matter. I would love to know the comments made by some
    of the conservatives crying foul.

September 2, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  49. Lisa Conrad

As an American (not a Republican or a Democrat), I believe real change is cleaning up Washington! Sarah Pelin is the first caudate to make me believe that is possible. Selling the state jet on Ebay? Say no more! She's got my vote!

September 2, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  50. Bob Ohues

Republicans and the evangelicals wing of the party are nothing but bunch of hypocrites. !

September 2, 2008 at 11:59 am |