September 1st, 2008

When everything you hear sounds like its underwater

Drew Griffin
CNN Investigative Correspondent

It has been dumping rain for three live shots now. My professional earpiece is no longer functioning. And during my last shot I used iPod plugs which caused water to get in my ear. Anderson sounded like he was underwater.

Between shots we try to dry out in the car. This is me and my producer Marcus Hooper (producers are always on phones).

Anyway, this is the glamorous world we live in, currently at the end of St. Bernard Parish and the Mississippi river.

Stay dry ya'll.

Filed under: Drew Griffin • Hurricane Katrina
  1. Robert M. Herbst

It is great that everyone wishes to be American these days, but let's look at what did happen under a republican administration.

First we had Katrina, did the Bush Administration care then? How much of the response to Gustav can be contributed to the fact that everyone knows the world is watching.

What has happend in last three years in regard to the rebuilding of New Orleans and other gulf coast communities, and what would have happened if the storm was a category 3 or better?

Well, there has been for too little concern by the Bush administration as to the rebuilding of the gulf coast and the dislplacement of citizens. If the strom would have been worst–the situation on the ground would have been far worst.

The fact is, that the problems of New Orleans have not be solved, and most likely will notbe solved with republicans in the White House. They simply do not care to invest in the common peoples of our land.

How does a country care for its citizens and the state of the infrastructure without tax dollars? Who among us can afford to pay higher taxes for the sake of the United States of America.

September 2, 2008 at 12:05 pm |
  2. Michelle

Obama is looking more and more presidential
    on a daily basis. Bless those in the Gulf coast.

September 2, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  3. Laura Emerson

It is nice to see that MS is remembered this time around. I live in Biloxi MS and can tell you that it was so frustrating during Katrina when it seemed to be all about LA. It is not that we don't care about our neighbors but we Biloxians were pretty much a side story even though our city was the true hit of the last hurricane. What I wish some reporter would ask is what are the candidates going to do about our insurance. Our city is slowly dying as so many like myself have had our insurance rates go up 300% and we do not even live in the flood zone. We cannot sell our homes as even though they may be affordable potential buyers shy away when they find out what their insurance payments on top of the mortgage payments will be.

September 2, 2008 at 4:20 am |
  4. late night news

Anderson I know your in New Orleans but you just had a great short interview with Obama about what he put forward on relief efforts. Please make sure you show it on prime time.

September 2, 2008 at 4:11 am |
  5. Evil Kinegro

I think it's Crazy that Nagin tells us to stay away until Thursday or Friday. Most of us can not afford this forced hotel stay. Up yours buddy, I'm coming back. SOON.

September 2, 2008 at 2:03 am |
  6. Seth, Alaska

Kudos to a great job done by all on the CNN team!

I wonder if there are times when covering an event like this (especially if you have been in hurricanes before), you ever get some small part of you almost wishing for something really bad or extreme to happen?

I am sure that you would never WISH for a stronger or more devastating storm, but I get the feeling that if I were there, some small part of me would want to see just how bad things could get for a moment.

I suppose I would compare it to the morbid fascination many of us experience when seeing a really bad car accident or something – of course we have sympathy for the victims, but would it be a lie to say there is a part of human nature that gets a thrill off of disaster?

Just curious whether reporters ever experience this, and how do you reconcile this with a simultaneous compassion for the victims?

September 2, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  7. Thomas Baird

I wouldnt build a house on land, undersea level ,next to a levee ,that is in hurricane alley. No Flood Insurance.

September 2, 2008 at 12:39 am |
  8. Barry Chidester

As a flood victim my self and received no help from our Gov. After much time to think about it. We do have the option to move and even after the Gov does offer to move them and they stay we should let them and NO GOV HELP. It was no different for me or less important so why do they deserve help.?

September 2, 2008 at 12:18 am |
  9. Gladys

How much devastation can one set of people over come. I respect all of the reporters out there that are risking life and limb to bring us the stories of the flood.

For the people affected by the flood. I am praying for you all.

September 2, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  10. Akita

Thanks to all the reporters, crews & staff at CNN for risking life & limb to bring us this kind of live coverage!

Hey Stephanie!! (who is making a 2nd honeymoon out of evacuation)
    You 2 (3 with the kitty) have the best time ever! It's great when people can make a bad experience into a happy one.

September 2, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  11. Alexander

Thank You Drew for all the reporting, stay safe and maybe a water proof set of earpieces should be invented 🙂

September 1, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  12. Stephanie

I'm somewhere in Alabama right now milking this evacuation trip from Biloxi MS as long as we can. We are kind of treating it like the honeymoon we never had.. I wonder how many other people just like us have snuck their pets into their hotel rooms! Shhh...don't let management hear the kitty meow! haha....
    No really, I'm glad the storm wasn't how bad it was supposed to be and thanks for working so hard so we could have constant coverage of our home. Great work!

September 1, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  13. Missa

Bloop-bloop-bloop.
    Stay safe, you guys. =/

September 1, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  14. Uma, Liverpool, UK

Despite the discomforts... you do it. You all are showing incredible dedication and determination.

Applause, applause. 😀

Thank you, (all, including tech crews) for bringing these stories to people who want to know, all over the world.

September 1, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  15. Richard Fryou

Hi my famly and myself left the Chauvin Houma area, and wanna know when is fema gonna help us? We keep calling and trying online and they tell us theres no disater in our area, we don't have much money for hotels every night so what sould we do?????

September 1, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  16. Alex

It's funny how CNN makes news so much more worse than it really is, everything to make Republicans look bad. Well CNN is lucky that most of Americans are stupid enough to believe in CNN.

September 1, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  17. Ghislain

We need to use the money for the border fence to build levees in New Orleans

September 1, 2008 at 11:15 pm |