September 1st, 2008

McCain’s V.P. pick: What if…

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/01/art.jindal.jpg caption="Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal"]

David M. Reisner
AC360° Digital Producer

As Hurricane Gustav pounds Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal has stood strong, holding press conferences every day since the threat increased in the warm Gulf waters.

He is stationed at the command center in Louisiana’s capitol, Baton Rouge.

Up until a few days ago he was on the short list for a potential promotion to the nation’s capitol as Sen. McCain’s “second in command.”

Widely considered a rising star in his party, speculation on Jindal as McCain’s V.P. choice increased this summer when he was one of a handful of politicians McCain invited to his home in Arizona.

The nation’s youngest governor is a staunch social conservative who could have possibly offset any reservations Republicans had about McCain’s conservative credentials.

Jindal will spend this week protecting his citizens, and the nation will become more familiar with the face behind a name.

Although Jindal is in the hot seat, he is also in the spotlight; it’s a spotlight that was supposed to be focused on another young Republican governor.

We all now know that Alaska’s Sarah Palin was McCain’s surprise pick as a running mate. This was the week where she was to introduce herself to the nation on the convention floor in St. Paul, as the young Washington outsider ready to take on the nation's tough challenges.

But first we're seeing the governor of Louisiana lead his state through the challenge posed by Gustav.

So far we’ve seen Gov. Jindal address the nation more than the Republican presidential candidate; we have already seen him briefing President Bush, working closely with FEMA, and planning a strategy with Department of Homeland Security’s Michael Chertoff.

If Jindal succeeds it will show the nation that a Republican governor with little experience in Washington can help manage a disaster, and rally a nation.

...just the thing McCain was looking for.

1. Jason

WAKE UP!!!!

The one thing that nobody has seemed to grasp in this WHOLE election is that NOBODY on either ticket has the "experience" to be president of the United States and as some would say..the free world.

Im not supporting one side or the other, i just think its absolutely false to think that someone who has never been president a day in their life knows EXACTLY what to do on day one

Lets face it, Bush and Clinton couldnt handle ALL the duties of office and they both had 8 years!

So what do we have to decide on?? You guessed it....THE ISSUES...

And issues that a young, wealthy, successful CEO might care about the most might be different than a married couple of 3 with health problems....

so just leave your pointless comments in your pocket and vote on what YOU think is important...thats the best thing you could do for yor country right now...

September 1, 2008 at 8:24 pm |
  2. Michele

Yeah, Bobby Jindal would've worked, but this was a knee jerk pick for McCain. He really thought those pissed off Hillary voters were Democrats that were up for sale. Not so McCain, you LOSE!

September 1, 2008 at 8:21 pm |
  3. SY

Jay said:
    “I’m confused. Are you saying Jindal’s successes mean Palin will be an automatic success, or that Jindal should have been the VP candidate? If it’s the latter, I agree. If it’s the former, that’s ridiculous.”

I totally agree. If it is the former than it is indeed foolish, something that i don’t expect from journalist of mr. cooper’s calibre.

September 1, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  4. R Norris

On Friday when John McCain introduced Gov. Palin as his VP pick, it was such a well-kept secret that the media reported even the family didn’t know why they were coming to Ohio. Now we hear that Sarah Palin’s 17-year old daughter is five months pregnant.

This leads me to wonder if the Palin’s gave their daughter the opportunity to “weigh in” on the momentous decision about whether to run for VP, a decision that would thrust the daughter’s personal life into the public domain. Since this daughter will soon be married, taking on the adult responsibilities of a wife and mother, I would think that one of the first steps toward this would be for the family to include her in such a decision.

September 1, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  5. Danny Farmer

Jeez, can we just stick to the facts. She called the public safety commissioner a couple of times as well as numerous contacts from her staff urging the commish to fire her ex brother in law, trash his career, he wouldn't do it so she fired him and replaced the commish with an ex high school class mate. How's that for cronyism and ethics? This is why she is CURRENTLY UNDRE INVESTIGATION. 1st time i've ever blogged. i have enjoyed reading all of your responses.
    I'd rather be lucky than good.

September 1, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  6. Sabina

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

Didn't anyone notice that Sarah Palin just had a baby, four short months ago? Set aside the fact (for now anyway) that this baby has Down Syndrome; he is a baby, requiring and deserving tremendous attention and care. And I think it matters who provides the care. Regardless of our position in the world, we each get 24 hours. Hours spent doing one thing necessarily precludes doing something else. What if the "one thing" is being President of the United States (or even, Vice President of the United States)?

I read or heard that Sarah had to change the baby's diaper on the way from the green room to the media frenzy at her acceptance speech. Sorry, Mr. Putin, I have to change the baby's diaper. And the breast pump – we won't start talking about that time consuming, never-ending (at least for a long time) activity.

I feel like the small child in "The Emperor's New Clothes" who cries out when the Emperor walks down the street with the non-existent clothes, "But he has nothing on." H E L L O – as the kids say in that melodic way – this woman, the one who was just named John McCain's running mate, the one who will be flying around the country in the next two months, when that baby is five then six months old, the one who will be stopping in a different city every night, has an infant.

All this talk about whether she meets the qualifications (e.g whether executive experience is achieved by being in the PTA) for the job of VEEP – a heartbeat away from the most powerful position in the world – is looking at her past. I'm more focused on her present situation – a family of five, a working husband (not a stay–at-home dad), and a four month old infant – and it sounds like a pretty full plate to me. Add to it: governor of Alaska. Oh, I guess her dance card will open up since she will no longer have to run that state.

I just don't get it.

When she delivered her acceptance speech, the baby (after she changed his diaper and disconnected him from the breast pump on the way to the microphone) was carted around in the arms of one of Ms. Palin's teenage daughters. Even before this recent news about the 17 year old being a new mom herself in four short months, I wondered how those two teenage girls could be expected to take care of this baby when they have a full high school schedule after Labor Day.

What I don't get is why no one, in either party, has raised this concern. Perhaps everyone is afraid of being accused of being politically incorrect. To suggest that caring for an infant is more important than a career is not exactly in vogue these days. After all, Sarah Palin is being touted as the model mom – balancing work and home. Isn't she amazing, they say, she can do everything. A modern woman. Yeah, stretched beyond belief, no sleep, juggling, fast food/mooseburgers, BUT, she has a career. Isn't she terrific. Sure, she – and all the modern moms of today – would have no difficulty fitting in President into her packed schedule, right after target practice.

I, for one, feel sorry for the young women today. They feel the pressure, all kinds of pressure, to do both, family (of five) and career, as if this is really possible without something (or someone) suffering. I recognize that pressures, including financial, are many, requiring all kinds of choices, sacrifices, adjustments, But, don't let anyone tell you it's easy, fun, or without cutting corners somewhere. I'm willing to say it, if no one else will: this woman, Sarah Palin, is too busy to be VEEP, let alone President, and frankly, I'm amazed she can handle the five kids, let alone running Alaska.

Frankly, I don't understand the term, pro-life, when that baby will barely see his mother. In my view, pro-life extends beyond birth.

I guess that's what makes horse races, or presidential races.

scs

September 1, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  7. Kelly

I am really surprised by some of the comments suggesting that Sarah Palin should "go home and raise her family right." I wonder if a man's teenage daughter became pregnant if people would tell him to go home and take care of his family instead of running for president. Perhaps things haven't changed so much in America after all....

September 1, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  8. Susan

I have just turned off CNN in disgust for the last time. I will not be returning to your station for your version of so-called news. After a weeklong coverage of the democratic convention in which all of your reports were starry eyed with love, I know sit down with eager anticipation of seeing the republican convention. I expect to see the same kind of love fest coverage I have watched the previous week.

What do I get instead? Campbell Brown's relentless attack of Sarah Palin for daring to run as VP when her unwed daughter is pregnant and will be exposed to the scrutiny of our blood thirsty press and her equally relentless attack on John McCain for picking a VP with almost as paltry experience as the democratic Presidential nominee, Barrack Housain Obama.

Here's a little education for you Campbell. Sarah will be working along side a saavy, experienced leader. She will learn her job from a pro. Who will be training Barrack???

So, this kind of blatant hostile coverage (if one dare call it that) is what I can expect all week from CNN?

Nope. I have options too. Its called "TURN THE CHANNEL".

CNN can hardly call itself a news station.

September 1, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  9. Brett

I appreciate women getting excited that they can be represented in politics by another woman, but that's like saying well, "a white guy should only vote for a white guy." I can't believe my ears when I see some women come out in support of Palin when they were supporting Hillary Clinton. I appreciate everyone's will to be able to vote who they want, but polticians count on the ignorant to help them win elections, not the intelligent. And any woman who supported HIllary and now supports Palin, is ingorant. They could not be any different politically across the board. I feel bad for those who contend they are intelligent and have swung from Hillary to a McCain vote because of Palin (or even in part because of her). She offers nothing for a Democrat and little for Independents. I myself was a registered Republican and am now an Independent, but goodness people, let's not let ignorant people make more decisions for us.

September 1, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  10. Johnny

And it never occurred to you that Bobby Jindal and Sarah Palin are two completely different people and what Jindal does has no bearing on Palin whatsoever?

September 1, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  11. Chester Francis

Palin can't even run her own family. That's obvious now.

McCain should back out of his poor choice and pick a leader for VP to govern with rather than a token to campaign with.

September 1, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  12. debunker

Maybe the VP debate will sound something like this:

"Governer Palin, I know Hillary Clinton personally. Hillary Clinton is a friend of mine... and Ms. Palin – You're no Hillary Clinton!"

September 1, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  13. Lisa

Jindal has handled this hurricane well. But Catrina was the one that taught everyone a valuable lesson.
    As for Palin, she needs to go back to Alaska and take care of the family. I can't imagine the "moral majority" thinks this is all good. Palin is a good example of having it all at her family's expense. Yes teen agers are having babies every day in America but most if those teenagers don't have a mother who could be vice president. Palins daughters pregnancy is off limits but I question a women who wants to be vice president but can't controll her own home life. She sure ain't no Hillary!!! Hillary's a women who can have it all and raised a child who made good choices in her life.

September 1, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  14. isabella

The republicans have out done themselves with this move appointing PALIN as VP. How can a republican or any american fall for this. Think about it... Also, this woman did not just have a four month old baby..who's baby is it? I could be VP, I have more experience than her. How can the republicans defend this and why are they going along with a man that obviously has mental problems in pulling off one of the biggest jokes in AMERICAN history...JUST THINK ABOUT IT... bY the way, I'm a democrat. She throws around the million broken glasses like it's a punchline to her...I wonder if she knows what it really means? Ahh!!! I guess the rest of the world is laughing at the republicans just like I am. Someone please help me understand how this mental case pulled this off on millions of educated people...that includes the MEDIA.

September 1, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  15. Mike Cobb

I am a strong Obama supporter ... because of the qualities of his mind and his policy positions. His pick of Joe Biden reflected those qualties ... and created a great team that I am happy to vote FOR. That said, this move by McCain is politically very clever, because it is a blatant appeal to the PUMAs and other disaffected Hillary supporters. And, given what we have heard from many of them, it could work. This choice does many things to complicate the presidential race: It takes Obama’s supposed lack of experience off the table ... and puts McCain’s age and health directly on the table. It will motivate the Relgious Right. And it will make it more difficult for Obama/Biden to appeal to a constituency they should absolutely own ... women, and particularly younger women. For women, this is a clear line in the sand about reproductive choice ... a vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to repeal Roe v. Wade and maybe even to make contraception illegal because it is a form of abortion in the eyes of some people in the GOP (Bush’s ‘health’ people have already made moves in this direction.) Bottom line ... this is a purely political decision which is an attempt to play women into voting for a ticket that will be against their most personal best interests. It will be interesting to see if the women of America will be taken in by this ploy. If they are, one result will be a right wing Supreme Court majority that will set back women’s rights for my granddaughters and their children. One other thing is sure ... Obama now needs Hilary’s support more than ever.

September 1, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  16. adams

You republicans are kidding yourself. I like McCain but I refuse to give the VP of the US to someone who knows less about the real world then I do. Palin was governor for two years in a state that has a smaller population than most American cities. Alaska is so remote how do you possible think she can relate to anyone besides Alsakans? Absolutley absurd...Michele Obama, who is a very successful Chicago lawyer, is way more qualified then some poduk ex-mayor of a town that has less people then my neighborhood block. Do you think the mayor of your town could be president in two years? I strongly doubt it.

September 1, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  17. bob from michigan

Let's review some of the life choices Gov. Palin has made since being governor:
    1. Become pregnant while governor at the age of 43, even though she had 4 kids already. I guess having 4 kids and being a governor wasn't enough. Mother's over 40 have increased risk of complications..everyone knows that (especially women that age).
    2. Decided to continue her pregnancy even though she knew the child had down's syndrome during pregnancy (while still trying to be governor of Alaska).
    3. Her daughter become pregnant about the same time as her down syndrome child's birth (hmm, doesn't seem to have a grip on her own family matters).
    4. Promoted abstinance until marrage...a fine cause but obviously doesn't apply to her own family.
    5. Wanted to discontinue sex education in schools. Sex education in schools is there because most parents want it.
    5. And despite all this, she wants to be vice president.

If she doesn't have a grip on her own family, how is she possibly going to have a grip on being vice president? The wisest choice for her (if she really has her family as top priority) would have been to step down as governor once her special needs child was born. It's really sad to see her putting her own career ambitions above the needs of her family. I am the father of 2, so I'm well aware of the challenges in raising a family. I was going to vote for McCain, but Palin's irresponsibility has changed my vote.

September 1, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  18. Lucy

It's impossible for me, as the mother of two successful young adults, to imagine that Sarah Palin can be both the Vice President and the mother of a teenage mother and a 4 monrh old downs syndrome child. If she really believes in family this is absolutely no time foir her to be in such a time consuming role. If she really plans to be a "heart beat away..." she cannot possibly be devoted to her family, let alone a family with these challenges. .It's time to make a choice Sarah...your family, or yourself and your personal ambitions. If you choose the vice presidential nomination, think of what that means for the first 4 years of life for your downs syndrome child.

September 1, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  19. PD

McCain and company could push Palin to back out... and replace her with Jindal, Pawlenty or Romney... a "do-over", if you will. But he'll never recover from what will always be viewed as an impulsive, irresponsible and incompetent decision. This is NOT the kind of leadership we need to replace Bush.

September 1, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  20. Patty from Pennsylvania

Sarah Palin paints herself as a maverick who stood up and stopped the "Bridge to nowhere" project. Unfortunately, she campaigned for governor on the promise that she strongly supported the project,, even if the state of Alaska had to foot the entire bill. Then when it became such a national joke backed away from it. What really makes this insulting is she took the $300 million anyway and used it for other state purposes. If she really meant "thank, but no thanks" she would have given the money back!!!

September 1, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  21. bob

This Palin for VP has all the makings of Bush's Harriet Meyers for Supreme Court justice fiasco

September 1, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  22. Rhonda

Don't think Democrats are 'attacking' Palin or choice of her, matter of fact Obama has been very supportive of keeping family out of media. Instead of bashing Obama or McCain, get facts. The election should be about issues, not personal lives of the candidates and Obama continues to tell reporters that, I respect that. Part of elections I cannot stand is the personal attacking, I just want to hear issues.

The problem I have with Palin has nothing to do with experience or her daughter getting pregnant, other than the fact that it makes her seem very hypocritical in her views. You cannot preach on view on an issue yet show something totally different.....preaching that all kids should not be taught sex in school, parents should teach abstinence; and then your daughter becomes pregnant is very hypocritical.

So, before attacking someone for their opinion, perhaps you should give them a chance to explain, could have a reason other than "just because' Thank you for listening.

September 1, 2008 at 7:47 pm |
  23. Judy Purdy

I don't know if McCain believes all women are shallow in their thinking, but to try and think that by selecting Governor Palin as an alternative to Senator Clinton, he is crazy. They are polar oposits and as a Democrate I can't even think of voting for Him or Her.

September 1, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  24. JSG

to Mariam in Chicago – enough to get her hair restyled!

September 1, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  25. Maggie

The bottom line is that McCain wanted to trump the DNC's historic nomination of Obama. He succeeded in appointing Palin the next morning. This political move has had positive short-term gains for McCains election campaign, but will have disasterous long-term fall-outs.

September 1, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  26. william

McCain's whole campaign slogan is COUNTRY 1st.
    So ! If Sarah Palin is asked.... if the country AND her family were both having an emergency at the same time ...What would her response be ? Family 1st or county 1st,
    This is not a trick question 🙂
    Is there anyone out there who can ask her this important question?
    wm.

September 1, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  27. Ty

Did Jindal know the specific duties of the VP before July 31st 2008?

Ms Palin told us she did not. Not exactly instilling a lot of confidence in my independent vote.

September 1, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  28. Paul in Maryland

Up until last week, I was on the fence. Jindal would have been a proper choice. McCain's pick for VP only keeps showing me how pathetically he continues to pander all sides. Where is the McCain of old? I have not seen him since his campaign went bust and he began scrambling to make deals with the devil(s) to save it.

Heavily experienced or not, Obama has shown the greatest leadership and integrity during these past 18 months. With all due respect to Hillary and McCain, Obama has been the only one of the Final Three NOT to bankrupt their campaign or to greatly change his/her message in order to gain more public support. It seems more and more Obama has been ahead of the "more experienced" from the beginning,

September 1, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  29. David Timmerman

Quite frankly, you cannot even compare Gov. Jindal and Gov. Palin, because if you look at Mr. Jindal's past, it shows an intelligent, hungry, capable person who has always looked to excel, and always looked at things indepth. I mean, Jindal was running a Louisiana agency that took 40 percent of the state's budget a decade ago, and has been a member of the House, and nearly won the governor's mansion back in 2003. Jindal went to Brown, Palin went to a series of schools, including Hawaii Pacific College, before getting a degree in Idaho, and sitting on the Wasilla city council. Jindal, as well as Tim Pawlenty, have been tested much more than Palin ever has, and trying to say because one is competent the other will be is laughable. I think while Jindal should be recognized thus far (and surely he had to be more prepared seeing the aftermath of Katrina) trying to imply this means Palin will be ready to take over the presidency, is truly poor comentary.

September 1, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  30. Terence Conklin

The Gov. Bobby Jindal analogy is a good one. Detractors are quick to call Governor Palin anything BUT Governor Palin. She is young and not as experienced as others within spitting range of Washington with all the baggage that fact brings but what we need now, more than ever before, is change. What better way is there to bring fresh ideas to the table than to add a woman to a formerly male dominated game? With Palin we get a person with a great track record of change and bucking the "good old boys". Only she among ALL the candidates, has actual administrative experience, as governor, not city council or PTA or hockey mom club. So stop calling her by lesser terms than she is. She is a governor and a fine one at that. We would do well to have her in the white house in either job! McCain/Palin in 2008 ***Palin in 2012 ***

September 1, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  31. Jordan

Palin is a joke. She wants her daughter's pregnancy to be a private matter, and I agree, but she she would invade another family's privacy in a second if they didn't subsribe to her strict right wing moral beliefs. This pick demonstrates that John McCain is not a renegade, but simply reckless. I for one don't want to spend the next four years praying that McCain survive the odds of recurrent cancer lest we be faced with the spector of the former mayor of Wasilla, Alaska trying to run the free world.

September 1, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  32. Timothy

Carmen,

You do know that Barack Obama didn't exactly have a priveleged background either, right? If you are voting for John McCain just because he picked a woman for Veep, then you are just the type of sucker that the G.O.P. wants. Honestly, the choice says to me, "Women are ignorant and vote with their emotions... who cares about the issues; they see a woman up there and will vote for us no matter what she does." Call me crazy, but I would be incredibly insulted by the pick if I were a female. Not only that, but most of the women I know can think for themselves and understand the issues... not just the gender of a vice presidential candidate. Senator McCain has not done anything to close the "gender gap" and does not support equal pay for women... therefore, he doesn't believe women are equal to men. (Just so you know, I was being facetious there... unfortunately, Republicans use this tactic extremely well. They run their campaigns on the assumption that Americans are idiots; which has been proven correct over and over again.)

Oh well, vote for McCain, have him make the Bush tax cuts permanent, watch our budget and current accounts deficit balloon, the dollar fall, the income gap increase as wages stay stagnant and successful companies keep their profits for trips overseas and all sorts of luxuries instead of investing it back into their companies, creating jobs and doing the sorts of things that exist in the fantasy world of supply side economics. Americans say they care about issues, but it is becoming blatantly obvious every day that they do not... in all honesty, I'm not sure many Americans have the intellectual capacity or independent thinking skills to understand them anyway. Keep listening to Fox News and repeating those ridiculous talking points to yourself. If you feel like educating yourself, find out how our government works... you may be surprised at how naive your current views are.

September 1, 2008 at 7:37 pm |
  33. Nancy Navarro

First off I believe a teenager can get pregnant whether her mom is an at stay at home mother or a working mother be very careful how to criticque this. No mother wants to have their daughter or son go through this and so I am sure this has been a gut wrenching experience having this private family matter played out all over the Nation. Temptation is all around for our kids today as well as for ourselves so we need not to be very careful how we judge! It must have been really tough for this 17 year old to be in the public spotlight holding her brother last week when her mother, Sarah Pallin was announced last week. This about being a teenager and knowing what was coming down the road and how she was going to be on every news show in a short time discussing her life.

I feel like the road ahead for Sarah Pallin and her family will be a tough one. A special needs infant and a teenage daughter to become a wife/mother in the next 4 months will not be an easy road. Now you add to this the vice presidency and campaigning like mad. While I think it is noble of Sarah Pallin to help the country in these trying times for the country and the world. I take my hat off to Sarah Pallin for accepting the nomination full knowing what lies ahead for her family.

September 1, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  34. Kansas Maureen

So you're saying that in McCain's efforts not to politicize this crisis, it would be better if Jindal were on the ticket, so they could "not politicize" it even more? I don't know exactly how the media's mind works–in your minds, apparently, the next best thing for the Republicans would be to have a life-threatening tragedy in Alaska that could be not politicized to Palin's benefit.

All of the politicians are behaving better than the media.

September 1, 2008 at 7:22 pm |
  35. Mike

It would appear that the decision to pick Governor Palin is wrought with potential downfalls and that a much safer and saner approach would have been to give the other presidential hopefuls a second glance. As she has not been nominated yet it would probably be in McCain's best interests to re-evaluate her perspective nomination. She could simply back out of the offer and McCain could try again. No matter the choice, things are going to get a lot messier than they are now. McCain's "Hail Mary" looks like it failed, the ball is dropped, and the other team has recovered the ball. It doesn't surprise me.

September 1, 2008 at 7:21 pm |
  36. bob

Republicans and Democrats remind me of Sears, Roebuck vs Montgomery Ward.-=-in a manner of speaking... Sears thrashes around in the dark, trashes its nice catalogs, acquires a new catalog (lands end) and then goes over to the dark side, economically speaking, by buying Kmart, a loser. Meanhwile, Montgomery Ward watched the way Sears was going, wanting to succeed, be a winner too. ....
    .he blind lead the blind......

Years ago, you might remember, Mobile Oil bought Monkey Ward as a tax writeoff. Monkey Ward is ancient history. And Sears -Read Geo Bush and Co . trying to crash our own economy with a billion dollar war. Maybe Geo W is thinking that if he spends enough in Iraq, he can write it off his company"s income to offset his oil profits, Sorry, Geo W, you're no longer in charge of losing money for a third rate baseball franchise. But its too late for Daddy Bush to send you back to Texas.
    As was said one time, George, you aint JR, Laura aint Sue Ellen, and this aint Dallas.
    and It's not reality, it's actuality,
    To the KARL ROVES, DICK CHENEYS, AND OTHER Rasputins and Cardinal Richelieus of this age-–get the Hell of of the US before you take the US to Hell! and take Geo with you. I recommend Devil's Island.

September 1, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  37. Mariam -Chicago, IL

Sarah Palin has no experience, living in Alaska what does she know about urban inner city problems? Domestic issues? She herself is under investigation for "firing" or trying to fire her ex-brother-in-law.. Isn't that a fact to all of you republicans out there? You really think getting Mc Cain elected will solve problems? John Mc Cain has always sided with President Bush, and has adopted a lot of his views and ways of handling things.. Now where has that gotten our country?

In addition, Mc Cain has not shown a devotion to listing to the people even if everyone does not agree, he has not made an effort to strengthen our allies, and look for alternative energy. We do not need a dependence on oil, that not only hurts out economy but it hurts our people the most.

We should have started with developing alternative energy a long time ago. We have to change things. And I think by picking Sarah Palin as the VP pick was a bad idea. She has no experience, and just because she is for reform and has worked her way up doesn't mean that if something happens to Mc Cain that she is ready to be President.

TO ALL REPUBLICANS: When your voting for Mc Cain, your actually voting for Sarah Palin for President? Doesn't that scare you? Scares the heck out of me.

September 1, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  38. Maya Henson

I feel that the choice of Palin is a blatent ploy to get the women votes that were going towards Hillary. I feel as though this is an insult to women because this is obvious a cheap shot to get the woman vote. It's so obvious because what other reason would you have for choosing Palin as your running mate after only meeting her once? That shows very poor judgement on the part of John McCain.

Also, one of the main points of the Republican campaign has been Obama's lack of experience; however, McCain is 73, and is in poor health(probably even worse than the public knows about). Therefore, if something happens to him, that will leave the country in the hands of Palin who has even less experience than Obama.

September 1, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  39. TB

Yes, I am sure not every newscaster or person on this board has angels for children. But I am sure none of them have pontificating right wing parents who bump around the poltical arena preaching absitinence only education. Furthermore, I am sure that they also dont have parents who decry sex before marriage in all cases except for her own daughter. I am also sure none of their parents are already under investigation for possible hiring/firing practices after only 18 months as a governor. If Sarah Palin's hard lessons can't even find purchase in her own household, how are we supposed to take her seriously in public life.

Oh, and Barack Obama and his associations with terrorists, please, stop repeating this made up baloney, that is about as serious as his connections with the tooth fairy or the easter bunny.

Maybe you should do some research about John McCain's connection with the Keating Scandal, that is actual fact, not fiction

Of course, if you believed in facts, fair attacks, and werent a big blowhard hypocrite, you probably wouldnt be a typical right wingnut!!

I am sure you weren't outraged as a woman when the McCain people were attacking Michelle Obama everyday.

September 1, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  40. Stepho

As a woman I am appalled at McCain's choice for VP. I almost fell off the treadmill at the gym and thought it was some kind of joke when the news came out. I had to check with everyone to make sure this was serious.

If this was his ploy to get Hillary voters, I am severely disturbed. This woman goes against the grain of everything Hillary stood for, a NRA gun-toting – anti-choice – decrying climate change – wants to drill in one of the best land reserves in Alaska for her own state's greed. Not to mention that she would have a great chance at the Presidency considering McCain's age. I am cringing with fear that Madam Palin could one day be at the helm.

The worst part of this whole thing is that McCain is trying to court Hillary supporters. Just by picking any woman to be your VP does not make it the correct choice in order to "break the glass ceiling." As a woman, I would love to see the glass ceiling broken, but not at the cost of having someone like her leading us. I am deeply disturbed by her lack of concern that her work may interfere with taking care of her family.

His choice tells me that he believes women will vote for a woman merely for the fact that she is a woman, and not clearly look at her credentials. Before his pick for VP, I would have been happy with Obama or McCain, but his pick for VP has thoroughly insulted my intelligence. As stated before, I could not be more appalled.

September 1, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  41. Cary in OK

As a former resident of Alaska, I've seen the challenges Gov. Palin has faced dealing with the state legislature there. But as a woman, I am deeply offended at McCain's blatant pandering to those women angry that Hillary wasn't chosen as the Democratic VP candidate. To tout Gov. Palin's "life experience" as sufficient to possibly lead this nation is laughable. She has experience as the mayor of a small Alaskan town, has been governor for only 2 years, has little national experience and NO experience in the foreign affairs department. Beyond that, she's a 44 year old mother of 5. She's been a small business owner and was briefly a T.V. sportscaster. I hardly think that's enough experience to qualify her to lead the nation should McCain fall ill (or worse.) And yet he questions Obama's experience to lead? To think that to choose her because she's a woman is enough is insulting! And any one of Hillary's supporters who fall for it deserve to have their voter registration cards revoked!

September 1, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  42. Heather

A woman on the ticket is a great idea but not just for the sake of having a woman on the ticket. Bush selected a group of people to government-level positions with diverse appearances. Yet they all had the mind-set of George Bush. That's not real diversity.

September 1, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  43. JimBeam

So less than one year of experience as governor is ok for Jindal, but less than two makes Palin inexperienced?

Did anyone say that Bush was unqualified to be President because of the "Twins Gone Wild?"

I don't agree with Sarah Palin on a lot of the issues, but this level of sexism is disgusting.

September 1, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  44. Colette

McCain is trying to get Clinton's supporters by hiring a woman for the job. Unfortunately, he picked the first woman who said I do. Clinton supporters were routing mainly for Hillary as an accomplished politician and not merely for the fact that she's a woman. And Lillian from Michigan, I don't know where you're getting your info about Obama and the terrorists, could it be from the KKK press release?

September 1, 2008 at 7:07 pm |
  45. AK from Jersey

Sarah Palin became Mayor of Wasilla with only 909 votes. In many high schools, the student body president needs to receive more votes than that! Becoming governor of Alaska required less than 120,000 votes. No wonder so few people know her.

September 1, 2008 at 7:07 pm |
  46. Meghan

I wrestled with this question extensively. If he wanted a young "rising star", why not pick Jindal? If he wanted a safe bet, why not Romney? If he wanted a woman, why not Susan Collins or Kay Bailey Hutchinson or Olympia Snowe or Christine Whitman or Elizabeth Dole or...well, virtually any other female Republican? The only thing I can come up with is that the "higher ups" don't expect McCain to win, and that Jindal is being "saved" for the 2012 VP slot (under Romney). The RNC is generally more crafty than this Palin pick. As a Democrat, I applaud it. Loudly.

September 1, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  47. charles h.

McCain said it best:
    Time to take off our 'Republican Hats' and put on our 'American Hats'.

Gee I didn't know the Republicans had this one cornered. They think they do – they think they are the only True Patriots.

They make me sick with their 'Family Values' talk and their abstinence only plan and their anti-science stance. Someone ask this lady how is her husband going to handle dinners with Heads of State, are they going to discuss the one that got away ?? Someone ask this lady if McCain died is she ready to go toe to toe with Putin and the like.

Tell me how being the Mayor of a town of 7000 and the Gov. of a State ( less than 2 yrs ) for a population less than the city of Chicago gives her the right. My wife had to have more education and experience for her job as a professor.

I don't think so America.

September 1, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  48. James in CA

Everytime you criticize Palin for her inexperience you are hypcritical if you do not criticize Obama. I think Palin and Obama are qualified, but I do think there is some elitism and some sexism going on. If the governor of Alaska was a man with a Harvard education with only a few years of executive experience, would we be having the same discussion about qualifications? If so, why is Biden the vp candidate and not the presidential candidate if it's all about experience?

September 1, 2008 at 7:04 pm |
  49. Susan--Kentucky

Prior to his announcement, I agreely anticipated seeing who John McCain would select as his VP. I was shocked when he chose Gov. Palin, a selection that is such a blatant attempt to capture the female vote.

As a woman, I'm increasingly disenchanted by Palin, a mother of five children, the youngest of whom is a five-month-old with special needs and the oldest a 17 year old expectant mother. Far from an illustration of the balance between work and family, Palin strikes me as a woman who should devote more time and attention to family, not be Vice President of the United States.

September 1, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  50. Adam

In 1972 George McGovern tapped Thomas Eagleton, a Missouri Senator to be his running mate. After it came out that Eagleton had sought electric shock therapy to treat his depression. Even though George McGovern said that he would back Eagleton "1000 %", he asked Eagleton to step down and replaced him with Sargent Shriver, Arnold Schwartzenegger's father in law.

So, it's not unheard of for a president to announce a VP and then decide to switch, but it should be noted that the last time that happened, George McGovern lost every state but Massachusetts and the District of Columbia. He even lost his home state of South Dakota. Last time I checked, the Dems viewed Arizona as a battleground state.

Good Luck McCain, you'll need it.

September 1, 2008 at 7:02 pm |