September 1st, 2008

McCain’s V.P. pick: What if…

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/01/art.jindal.jpg caption="Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal"]

David M. Reisner
AC360° Digital Producer

As Hurricane Gustav pounds Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal has stood strong, holding press conferences every day since the threat increased in the warm Gulf waters.

He is stationed at the command center in Louisiana’s capitol, Baton Rouge.

Up until a few days ago he was on the short list for a potential promotion to the nation’s capitol as Sen. McCain’s “second in command.”

Widely considered a rising star in his party, speculation on Jindal as McCain’s V.P. choice increased this summer when he was one of a handful of politicians McCain invited to his home in Arizona.

The nation’s youngest governor is a staunch social conservative who could have possibly offset any reservations Republicans had about McCain’s conservative credentials.

Jindal will spend this week protecting his citizens, and the nation will become more familiar with the face behind a name.

Although Jindal is in the hot seat, he is also in the spotlight; it’s a spotlight that was supposed to be focused on another young Republican governor.

We all now know that Alaska’s Sarah Palin was McCain’s surprise pick as a running mate. This was the week where she was to introduce herself to the nation on the convention floor in St. Paul, as the young Washington outsider ready to take on the nation's tough challenges.

But first we're seeing the governor of Louisiana lead his state through the challenge posed by Gustav.

So far we’ve seen Gov. Jindal address the nation more than the Republican presidential candidate; we have already seen him briefing President Bush, working closely with FEMA, and planning a strategy with Department of Homeland Security’s Michael Chertoff.

If Jindal succeeds it will show the nation that a Republican governor with little experience in Washington can help manage a disaster, and rally a nation.

...just the thing McCain was looking for.

1. Jordan

Hey Fred-

Being a man doesnt add 10 years to ones 'experience tally'. But lets see what they were doing 10 years ago. Palin was serving in her first year on the Wasilla city council while Obama was serving on the Illinois Senate. They are both light in the 'experience tally' but lets be serious. Palin's experience is far far less than Obama's.

September 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  2. Uma, Liverpool, UK

Er. As a woman, and a feminist, I disevow and repudiate Sarah Palin with every cell of my (working, well-educated) brain, and (not working so well, but who's complaining?) body. She is obviously both part of 'humanity', and of the half that have two XX chromosomes.

But she's no woman! She's a silly girl. She's ANTI-woman. She's against sex-education, contraception, abortion (even in cases of rape and incest - I have personal experience with the latter), and appears to be a grossly irresponsible mother... Anyone who knows about Down's Syndrome knows that DS babies NEED committed attention from their primary caregiver - and given Palin's politics, SHE should be that person. She went back to work two days after giving birth to him!

The phrases 'criminal neglect' and 'reckless endangerment' come to mind. (Yes, I have worked with abused and neglected kids, and yeah, it made me angry!).

If John McCain wanted a raving social conservative, there are PLENTY in the Republican Party. Bobby Jindal didn't want the VP job. Good for him!

(BTW 'Jindal' is as foreign a name as 'Obama'! :-P)

McCain twisted himself into a knot, trying to make the Republican ticket 'historic', too. (Ahh... the error of envy!)

Sadly, he pulled Sarah Palin out of a hat on Friday, and she'll be rubber-stamped as his VP without the need for any inconvenient questions, in this truncated RNC.

September 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  3. Danny Farmer

I was commenting on troopergate, sorry my w does not work on the keyboard. Hey where did Bill Bennet go after he tried to trash Kyra P?

September 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  4. eric

"As a woman, I think there needs to be a woman’s point of view at the table for these big presidential decisions. No man can offer that point of view. Kudos to McCain for recognizing that."

you are ridiculous to vote for anyone because you think someone of a certain sex, race or ethnicity deserves it. we are all humans and so long as they vote for the common good and peoples best interest, it should not affect if a man or woman, black white red or yellow person is in charge.

republicans right now want to take away rights from people. gay rights, the right to choose, and proper educational standards. i dont understand how someone can agree with them. we are all people. we all have the same rights.

September 1, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  5. Einar A. Elsner

Gov. Palin will prove to be the one decision McCain wished he hadn't made. It has nothing to do wit her being a woman. It has to do with the fact that she was not vetted properly. Her ghosts will come flying out of that closet like bats from hell. That combined with her total and absolute lack of experience in foreign affairs or national politics will sink her. It's not her fault. It's McCain's and his advisors who, looking for a "game changer", put the short-temr interests of his campaign over the interests of our country.

September 1, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  6. Nathan

Lillian, I agree with you that the double-standard lives on. If a male politician had a daughter who got pregnant it would barely be mentioned - it certainly wouldn't be used as a reason to question his credentials as a politician.

But please check and share your sources about Obama's "awful associations". Do you really think he spends his time hanging out with terrorists? As for tycoons and religious radicals, they are all too prevalent in this country, especially DC, don't you think? I'd be curious to hear what your concerns really are here.

September 1, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  7. flip flop Obama

Jindal and FEMA have come along way in 3 years. The Democrats definately do not want to bring experience in to the picture when their candidate is a Junior senator with no real substance.
    With no bounce in the polls for Obama after the millions of dollars he spent on his grand speech in Denver, the Republicans are in a great position. Its going to be an interesting week and a bad week for liberals.

McCain/Palin – An American war hero/Pro Life Champion
    Obama/Biden – Teleprompter King/Plagerist

September 1, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  8. Alice in PA

The issue isn't that Sarah Palin is a woman - it's that she has no experience. Even many Republican commentators admit that (as do the newspapers in Alaska - though, of course, they can be dismissed as "liberal"). If state politics gives you experience, then Obama (with 6 years representing a district with 10 times the population of Wasilla, AK) has 3 times more than Palin; if national politics gives you experience, then Obama has a lot more than Palin (how many debates did he participate in during the primaries? 10? 20? I would guess that he has a pretty good handle on domestic and international policy issues - does Palin?) For me, the problem is that this choice demonstrates that McCain is so anxious to win, he will 1. nominate a neophyte in order to make the Right happy, regardless of her qualifications, and 2. ignore his own call to "put country first" by doing so. If elected, she will be A HEARTBEAT AWAY from the Presidency - and, given that the heart in question will be 72 and pumping blood through a body that has had 4 bouts with cancer, that scares me.

September 1, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  9. Dotie

I am not sure what McCain was thinking when he selected Govenor Palin. They look uncomfortable together. I never heard of Govenor Pallin prior to her being selected. Great she is a women, but that is where the similarities between this registered independent and the Govenor stop. She is way off base with the rest of the main stream American women on the important issues. Let us also not forget that she is under investigation for the firing of her brother-in-law. As a wife, mother, and sister I would probably want my brother-in-law fired if the allegation are true, but as a public figure a person has to remember their ethical responsibilities to the people who elected them to office. This investigation gives me a perception I am not sure the rebulican party can afford. Also Govenor's Palin's daughter's pregnancy raised some serious family value questions. I agree that a family dealing with teenage pregnancy should be a private family manner, but the govenor is a public official. Did the Govenor Palin stop to think about how her accepting the V.P. position affects her family and the consequences. As a mother I could not and would not subject my daughter to the media scrutiny Bristol now faces.

September 1, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  10. Neil

Interesting thought David. Unfortunately our electorate just doesn't pick up on these nuances. She has the "street creds" to be a great VP and perhaps take the top job in future. Just think of the heck she'll raise as President of the Senate?

It is obvious that Gov. Palin is a great choice for Sen. McCain.
    People are talking.
    People are excited.
    People are sending money.
    The Democrats hit teams such as KOlbermann and RMaddow are getting no traction attacking the Governor.
    This is very exciting politics.

She reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt...but better looking!

September 1, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  11. Lisa

I gotta say, I like her. I like her spunk, I like that she took on corruption, that she hunts (tho i'm support gun control), that she seems to be a remaissance woman. Not gonna vote for that ticket, tho. I'm a thinking Hillary supporter, not some stupid woman who's just happy to see a woman on the ticket. While I have a few reservations about Obama, he's right about one thing – McCain doesn't get it.

September 1, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  12. Keegan from PA

Jindal for President, '12 or '16!

I've spent alot of time in Louisiana recently, more than I ever guessed I would, helping with the recovery efforts from Rita and Katrina. Since getting there I couldn't help but see the rising star in Governor Bobby Jindal. He's a fresh new face for a state that was tarnished by bad politics. Jindal said goodbye to the power struggles that hurt Louisiana during Katrina, and has worked earnestly and effectively to improve the lives of Louisianans.

I was here in June, and to respond to Mr. Goodall, the reason the governor had to hesitate on taking on that payraise was that he needed legislators' support for his very proactive plan to help Louisiana's recovery and growth. The angry and greedy legislators were holding his agenda hostage for a pay raise.

Ultimately he risked looking unpopular in order to support the greater good of Louisiana.

Bobby's was a tough decision and ultimately the right choice for Louisiana, and someday he will be the right choice for the USA.

September 1, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  13. Danny Farmer

But what did she do next? She fired the public safety commissioner who wouldn't fire her ex brother in law and then hired her old high school class mate who as the police chief of Kethchikan. How's that for ethical violations and cronyism?

September 1, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  14. jas

It just shows that there is a lot of strong leadership in the Republican party. I am a democrat who will be voting for McCain/Palin but I have to say that McCain has been looking so presidential through this crisis that I will probably completely switch parties. This whole Obama / Rock Star thing (whether real or perceived) has completely turned me off.

September 1, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  15. marvinohio

Sarah Palin can't manage her home life let alone our country the rest of the world has to be laughing please don't let whese two talking heads win the election!!!!

We may have to move to third world country!!!

September 1, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  16. Bill in Louisiana

I am a congenital Democrat, having voted for every Democratic candidate for the presidency since Hubert Humphrey. But I have been consistently impressed by Bobby Jindal throughout his career, and did enthusiastically cross over and vote for Bobby Jindal for Governor. I would vote for him again, or for any public office he would seek - including President. He is one of the brightest and most energetic public officials I have ever encountered in my 63 years. I wish he had the better judgment to be a Democrat, but, alas, one can't have everything! Regardless of party, this guy is the real deal.

September 1, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  17. Susan from Scotts Valley

Obama had eight years in the state legislature getting things done. Before that he addressed real issues that face Americans–unemployment, poverty, housing. And he has been a U.S. Senator for nearly four years addressing issues facing our country. She doesn't even have positions on these issues. He's on the Foreign Affairs committee and the Veterans Affairs committee–two committees tackling issues that are also vital to the country. On top of that he has run one of the most successful organizations in the United States this past year–his campaign. He manages more people than Sarah Palin does and thus has MORE management experience than she has.

September 1, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  18. Manny Doe

I can't BELIEVE McCain picked Palin. He is friggin INSANE.

September 1, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  19. John

I like the Palin pick. It's so refreshing to see someone in the Federal government that doesn't have degrees from Ivy League schools, that isn't a lawyer, that has never made more than $125,000 a year and isn't worth millions. We need more diversity in government. She seems like the real deal. Let's see how she does in the campaign before everyone judges her.

September 1, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  20. joereal

Is Jindal's performance really that spectacular? Or is the fact that it is more in line with expectations of someone with his responsibility, as oppossed to those state and city officials who oversaw the debacle of Katrina? Let's not get carried away just because Jindal followed a well laid out disaster contingency plan that was developed and implemented well before he ascended to the governorship. I need to see more from both Jindal and Palin before I would consider either as a candidate for President in waiting.

September 1, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  21. Stephen

I take it Sarita does not remember Thomas Eagleton who was ousted from the VP candidate slot for having gone to a mental institution several times and having had electric shock treatments, In 1972, McGovern was 1000% behind him until Sargeant Shriver took his place.

September 1, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  22. Carol, So Cal

Jindal has HUGE problems that DO reflect on his judgement. The pay raise mess this past June is a good example. It is not his time, and perhaps he can recover some of his good name through his very adept handling of Gustav.

Palin will do just fine. She is smart, savvy, and tough – as those who have followed her career know. The country is only going to gain respect for her as they watch her in action. Frankly, I prefer her over BOTH of the democratic candidates. And no, not because she is a woman. I'm just sick of "raising taxes" being the answer to everything, while politicians live so high on the hog (read: the constituents). It is really refreshing to see someone REFUSE money from Washington. Palin has already saved me money!

September 1, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  23. Michael

It really makes no difference.
    No one cares.
    McCain himself is the worst possible choice for the job.
    Enough said.

September 1, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  24. Benjamin Brown

I feel that there are quite a few Republican governors out there who would do a great job. I think Jindal or Palin would both do well. I speak for my self and others when I say I am very glad to see Palin on the ticker for VP. It REALLY is about time that we get some of Americas best women in positions such as VP and president. I think it is pathetic and sad that people are bringing up so much dirt on Palin's family, stuff that really doesnt have any thing to do with how well she is going to help John McCain run this country. She is a great lady, and any intelligent person would agree with me on that. She is just what this country needs.

McCain Palin 08'

September 1, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  25. Lamont austin

Dummys, republicans have to be the dumbest creatures on earth, they treat Americans like retarded kids that cant think on there on, not to mention a publican is a person who collects taxes a republican re-invents taxes and thay constantly say Obama will raise taxes, yes he will but on the rich only, if i was rich and had basically everything i wanted and needed i wouldnt be mad over a couple of more dollars per pay check
    so, what? are republicans greedy too, of course..
    Your power reign is about to end.

ARIZONA RON FROM TUCSON
    ex-republican

September 1, 2008 at 6:38 pm |
  26. Sam Notting

If Bobby Jindal can accomplish what he set out to do, he can run in 2012 or 2016 (at which point he will be only 45). Katrina destroyed former governor Kathleen Blanco's political career for good. Bobby is better off learning a lesson from that and hence, he refused to be VP and is staying put, working to make sure Gustav is handled properly. When he does run, he'll have experience in not only the cabinet, the house and as governor.

September 1, 2008 at 6:38 pm |
  27. CARMEN

I wanted Rommey, but I like Patin. FINALLY WE HAVE A WOMAN IN THE TICKET, a woman who made her OWN WAY UP TO THE TOP.

McCain, you're a smart guy!! You turned the table around and gave us a way more interesting VP.

Hope McCain uses Rommney as a cabinet member dealing with the economy.

Got my vote for sure.

September 1, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  28. Alfred Tompkins

All of this just proves the Good Book right on women in leadership roles. Perhaps if she'd stayed home to look after her family the kid wouldn't have got pregnant. Dad obviously hasn't a clue. And what about the fifth child, born so recently? How in the 'heck is she going to manage being vice pres and look after the baby?

September 1, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  29. Carrie, CO

This whole Sarah Palin seems far to stupid to have come from the Republicans. She's not the nominee yet. Last week a hurricane was forecast, McCain needed a game changer, there's a gov. in Alaska with a pregnant daughter and a governor ready to show his abilities during a hurricane. It's the 4th quarter and your way behind – nothing like a play fake to get you some points. Trouble is I'm betting the defense being able to read this one and the crowd could erupt into a steady chant of boos if they used a disaster for political points. But – desperate times call for desperate measures!

September 1, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  30. Sarita

It's too bad McCain didn't pick Jindal to start with. I'm not aware that there has ever been a VP nom withdraw in election history. Does anyone know? I'm also not so sure Jindal would accept the invitation to be on the ticket with McCain after all that has gone on.

September 1, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  31. Lillian (Michigan)

Let me guess, every politician and new caster here has angels for children. How dare any of you attack a child. Do you know this young lady hears your newscast. Won't it be wonderful if you blast this woman right out of politics with all your negative comments and this young lady has to bear that weight on her shoulders for the rest of her life. Hope it makes all of you feel good about yourselves. Oh and by the way McCain and Palin are busy raising money for the victims of this hurricane. Do you think maybe you could curtail your criticisms until you have a chance to sit down and interview the Vice President candidate????

September 1, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  32. BJ

I can see why Jindal was on McCain's short list for second in command! He has impressed me with how he is handling this crisis in his state, and taking steps not to repeat what happened 3 years ago. Putting the people in his great state first! Definitely qualities that are needed for VP or even President. I can see why McCain chose Palin. She also has a record of puting the people in her state first, and is not afraid of reform, in her own party. Plus, she is not known for taking the easy road, she is tough and I admire that. .

September 1, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  33. Adam R Kennedy

Honestly I think McCain could have picked a monkey to run as VP and it would have been a better choice than Sarah Palin. Where is this "experience" of hers? Did she get it in the city council of a town comprised of a few thousand people? Does running a town of 8500 people into 20 million dollars of debt prepare her to sit down with Russia and Iran? It's ludicrous to insinuate she has more experience than Obama... who was in his state legislation for 8 years, was a well-respected community organizer in chicago for nearly a decade, and taught constitutional law...

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Now I'll be honest and say that I wasn't a McCain supporter before... but still greatly respected the man and felt comfortable with either candidate winning the presidency. But now a woman with no foreign policy experience and no respectable economic credentials from an oversized igloo could be a heartbeat away from the most powerful position in the world.... I'm cringing, and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

I'm also offended as a former clinton supporter by this obvious pandering for the clinton electorate, and Palin is far too transparent about this cheap political ploy ( I'm going to vomit if she talks about shattering that glass ceiling again). If you want to put a woman on your ticket, that's all good and well... just pick a qualified one.

So back to the original question, was Jindal a better choice.... absolutely... but Lieberman would have given him a winning ticket, or at least a formidable one

September 1, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  34. Rose from southern Calif-

I am a Dem and Hillary supporter. I wasn't going to vote for Obama but now Obama look's better ever day! Sarah needs to go back home and take care of her family. IF SARAH PALIN CAN'T KEEP HER FAMILY INTACK HOW THE HELL SHE CAN RUN A COUNTRY!

September 1, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  35. Lillian (Michigan)

Wow what a surprise a teenager pregnant in America. Could it be that Sarah Palin's family is truly the typical American family. I think it is far less way out then Obama being associated with terrorists, real estate tycoons and religious radicals. Let's not forget though this is a woman and here we go again in the media and the good ol' boys club. Attack, attack, attack but ignore the faults of the one man that has no experience and has all those awful associations in his life.

September 1, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  36. Sam

I'd been saying for weeks that Bobby Jindal would be a great choice for McCain's running mate; I'd seen him on Glenn Beck's show a few times. When Glenn asked Gov. Jindal if he would accept the offer he said no; that he had just been elected Gov. of Louisiana and that he wanted to get his state in order.

He was also supposed to speak at the rnc, but bowed out to face Gustav with the people who elected him. Hope he seeks a national office in the future. This man knows his priorities and is acting on them.

September 1, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  37. jmrohan

Sarah's ideal family has just exhibited they are broken. If Sarah were not governor of Alaska, getting pregnant at 17 would otherwise pave the way to a life of hardship for her daughter. Let's do better for the 2008 election.

September 1, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  38. Teresa Chicago

Mc Cain VP have mess like hell inside her family ....she simply abort family for politics. That Down syndrome baby need special care special treatments how is she going perform ..? Her daughter pregnancy is a answer how she handle family and this way she will handle our Country. AMERICA WAKE -UP!!!!!.Obama HAVE MY VOTE!

September 1, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  39. Cathy in Vermont

I agree totally. I really think Jindal would have been a much wiser pick and this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Sarah Palin is a woman.

September 1, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  40. Bonnie Schmidt

I see serious issues with Sarah Palin – mostly, how is she going to be able to focus and spend the time on the vital issues of this nation as is required of a vice president while dealing with all the emotional issues of her daughter's situation as well as her own of having a Down's Syndrome child not yet even a year old? I'm not trying to take anything away from her success in a very unique state with unique issues – however, I think she was a very questionable choice and thinking of her as the vice president – never mind the possibility of her being president should anything happen to Senator McCain is very unsettling.
    I support Obama – but even if I didn't – I think the nation is going to have to view this choice very critically. I don't think this is Sarah Palin's time.

September 1, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  41. JJ

I voted for DEM. all the time. But this time ... I would rather vote McCain than Obama unless the Dem reverses their nominees as: Biden / Obama.

An inexperienced VP IS much better than an inexperienced President. The SHOW is over. My feet touched the ground.

September 1, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  42. lampe

Jindal; told Sen. McCain, that he was more interestedin staying where he's at and doing good work there. Once again it appears, that people are saying that a woman, is not able to do anything, that a man can do. If you think Biden, is a good pick, I can't wait till he opens his big mouth, and sinks the Obama Ship.

September 1, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  43. Fred Smith

"I’d feel much safer knowing Joe Biden was at the helm, as second in command."

As opposed to having someone with less experience than Palin being first in command?

How many days of Obama's last 4 years have been spent working for the people that voted for him and how many days have been spent campaigning?

Seems the Dems think that being a man somehow adds 10 years to ones 'experience' tally.

September 1, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  44. Allan Goodall

The reason Bobby Jindal fell off the short list is the embarrassment he suffered earlier this summer. The state congress in Louisiana voted itself a 125% pay increase, making Louisiana's politicians some of the highest paid in the nation. Worse than that, their pay was to be tied to the consumer price index, a luxury not afforded to the vast majority of the state's residents.

The people of Louisiana were livid, yet Bobby Jindal refused to veto the bill. Oh, he spoke out against the raise and urged the state congress not to pass it, but he refused to pit himself against Louisiana's senators and representatives. Instead, he chose not to sign the bill into law, legal sleight-of-hand given that if the governor doesn't sign a bill it goes into law within a month anyway. Only after a grassroots campaign to recall several Louisiana politicians - including Jindal - gathered momentum did Jindal realize he had misread the public, at which point he vetoed the bill.

Louisianians were openly speculating that Jindal would be a one-term governor, so angry were they over the raise debacle. His chance of being picked as McCain's running mate was essentially sunk by his actions back in June. It remains to be seen if his handling of Gustav will be enough to reform him in the eyes of Louisianians.

September 1, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  45. SS

As a woman, I think there needs to be a woman's point of view at the table for these big presidential decisions. No man can offer that point of view. Kudos to McCain for recognizing that.

IT's. About. Time.

September 1, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  46. Kathy, Chicago

I would have loved to have been listening to John McCain as he debated his choices for VP. Gov Palin seems to have come from left field, but she is refreshing and not a boring white man, as Cokie Roberts called most of the other choices. I do think that Gov Jindal is handling Gustav better than others handled Katrina. I'm sure high level Rep's will be watching.

September 1, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  47. Maria

I would have voted for John McCain had he used better judgment and chosen a great leader like Jindal. As it stands, I also trust Biden over Palen any day.

September 1, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  48. susan

I think he may have made a huge mistake not picking Jindal. As a woman, I cannot relate to Gov. Palin at all. While I haven't yet decided on my pick, somehow, I'd feel much safer knowing Joe Biden was at the helm, as second in command.

September 1, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  49. Jay

I'm confused. Are you saying Jindal's successes mean Palin will be an automatic success, or that Jindal should have been the VP candidate? If it's the latter, I agree. If it's the former, that's ridiculous.

September 1, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  50. JP in Kentucky

Perhaps Gov. Palin will shortly (be asked to) stage an emotional departure from the ticket to stay home, run Alaska, and be a new grandma, but somehow I doubt it. That would be the best thing to happen to the Republicans though, especially if it were followed by choosing someone such as Gov. Jindal as a replacement VP candidate.

September 1, 2008 at 3:50 pm |