August 29th, 2008

Veepstakes, swine and carnies

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/29/art.pawlenty.fair.jpg caption="Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty walks through the State Fairgrounds in Falcon Heights, Minn., Friday."]
Steve Brusk
CNN political desk, senior assignment editor
AC360° contributor

For Governor Tim Pawlenty, Friday had to be a surreal morning. At the same time he could have been headed to an Ohio rally be named John McCain’s running mate, he instead was at the Minnesota State Fair talking about pigs and carnies.

Pawlenty hosted his weekly radio show from a white porch on the fairgrounds in St. Paul, just as the nation was learning of McCain’s choice. The radio booth for WCCO sits under the skyride, behind the Icee booth in the middle of the midway.

Wearing a blue and white striped golf shirt, a smiling Pawlenty was greeted by cheers as he walked through the crowd. The man who was among the finalists to be McCain’s vice presidential nominee took the mic as Elvis’ Burning Love played. “Hunk-a –hunk-a burning love”, he said as the show began.

The show would feature a swine judge for the fair judging he said, telling the audience to laughter, “you should know about the quality of pigs.” His second guest in the fair-themed show would describe the life of a carnie.

Pawlenty says he likes the weekly show to be free of politics, but politics could not be ignored this morning. The first question from the audience was how he slept the night before, and what is next for Minnesota since he wouldn’t be leaving.

The Governor told Mark from St. Paul “I slept great last night”. He said they had a busy day, highlighted by his daughter winning a volleyball game he was able to attend.

“It was a good night for our family”, he said.

Sitting just 50 feet from the booth for the state Republican Party, covered in McCain signs, Pawlenty said, “I’m delighted to be an advocate for the McCain campaign. I’m just honored to be Governor of Minnesota, and I couldn’t ask for a better state.”

The crowd of 300 to 400 people thinned out after the running mate question. But seven television cameras and a herd of reporters remained.

As Pawlenty’s show took a break, the radio station aired a special report announcing Governor Sarah Palin had been chosen by McCain instead. She was en route to the Dayton arena, as Pawlenty prepared to go back on the air. There was no discernable reaction as the report played on the loudspeakers.

After the show, he came out to the group of reporters waiting for his reaction. He called Palin a “wonderful, terrific outstanding pick.”

“She’s an executive, she’s a reformer, dynamic”, he said. Calling her a “hockey mom”, he said Palin has a “compelling personal story”.

Pawlenty revealed he got the news from McCain himself early Friday morning, and “congratulated him” on the choice. He called the conversation “personal”, declining to share details but said it was an “upbeat, positive call”.

Showing no signs of disappointment, Pawlenty said he didn’t get into the McCain campaign “with the idea I wanted or needed anything out of it”> He said he remains a top supporter and will actively work for the ticket. He wouldn’t say if he had interest in the cabinet post.

More fairgoers and television cameras swarmed Pawlenty as he departed. It was a fun morning at the fair, but perhaps not the morning he hoped for a day earlier, as the vice presidential speculation centered on him.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes • Raw Politics • Tim Pawlenty
  1. joyce searcy

I haven't heard how this woman feels about equal pay for women. So far she has been against women rights. I would like to know where she stands on this one.

August 30, 2008 at 5:29 am |
  2. Susu

John McCain's nuts! I am a fan of Hillary, but voted for Obama, at this time in our nation's history, because of his ability to lead the people of this country from the bottom up. What better measure of a leader than someone who can inspire and surround himself/herself with good people (**Biden for VP). As a female, I am insulted that McCain chose "a woman" in an obvious attempt to sway the female vote. How insulting to Hillary and all her supporters. I think you just managed to unite the Democrats even tighter. Way to go!

August 30, 2008 at 5:02 am |
  3. Alison

McCain's true colors are starting to show. I wish we could do our primary over again. What were we thinking electing this old scumbag? Oh yeah **sigh** Bush wrecked it for a more decent choice. I guess Palin has better legs than Pawlenty or Conde Rice. Shame on you Mr. McCain – you have officially embarassed our party today.

August 30, 2008 at 3:59 am |
  4. Jerry Chaverri

Its really funny to see the Democrats this scared about McCain's VP pick. Someone on CNN accused her of being inexperienced, hilarious!. My God, Obama has less experience and the Democrats picked him!

August 30, 2008 at 2:35 am |
  5. Jason

The four-month old special-needs child is a highly relevant point, and should absolutely be reported on. Voters need to know that she's putting her career before this child. Voters need to know that in the event McCain dies she'll have to debate herself about whether she can nurture a toddler while leading the country (god forbid in a time of war). If Democrats were to put up a candidate like this Republicans would be all over them claiming that the woman had no "family values." It is very very relevant.

I agree that she is being exploited for her gender as well, which ought to be troublesome to Republicans. Picks should be based on qualifications, not gender (or looks).

Further, regarding her "executive" experience, winning her governorship with less votes than the current mayor of San Francisco got when he entered office doesn't say really point to her being a dynamite contender. San Francisco, the 14th most populous city in the nation, has more citizens than the entire state of Alaska. That should put things into perspective.

August 30, 2008 at 2:31 am |
  6. ann

Having given birth once in my life, and having had the good fortune of sharing the pregnancies of many friends and colleagues, I can say with great confidence that Sarah is probably completely out of her mind. 4 months after giving birth is not enough time for hormonal levels to even come close to being 'back to normal'. Most women don't know if they are even on the planet for months after giving birth, both because of wild hormonal changes and extreme sleep deprivation. Yeah. This is who we need in the VP position. Not trying to be sexist. Just saying it like it is. The fact that she agreed to run as McCain's VP is evidence that shehas completely lost it. On the other hand, perhaps that makes her the perfect running mate for McCain. They are both completely off the radar screen. Yikes!!

August 30, 2008 at 2:28 am |
  7. K. Smith, Denver,Co

Oh...you guys are too funny....getting kinda scary for you left wingers? Having a smart, attractive, ambitious woman, not to mention....... someone with a compassionate heart, to help lead our great nation..kind of foreign for ya huh? Oh well hopefully you will learn to know good when you see it!

August 30, 2008 at 2:25 am |
  8. ann

You know, I thought I had seen it all. But now I KNOW McCain is insane. "War hero" or not, his first decision of his 'pre-presidency' is to pick a nobody from Alaska as his VP? How stupid does he think American women are? Like this is going to make up for Hillary biting the dust? NOT. It is insulting and makes McCain look like the complete embalmed bozo that he is. I hope this completely sinks his campaign. I told my husband that McCain should have asked me to be his VP. I am a 58 year old woman, older and wiser than Sarah, I have 3 advanced degrees, I am a wife and mother, a doctor no less, I an a Independent thinker, a Democrat and the most important of all, I have a VAGINA. Now that should put me at the top of the the 'short list'. Oh, and I'm short. Only 5 feet tall, with blue eyes and cute as a button. As I said, I thought I had seen it all. Scotty, beam me up!!!

August 30, 2008 at 2:20 am |
  9. Soul Divia

I am a mother of three kids and I am 47. I have the executive experience of George Bush as I run a business ( that has not failed). I have had over 30 years of community service all they way back to being a representative delegate to the 1976 International Women conference in Texas I have traveled abroad to Jamaica, Trinidad, Bermuda, Israel and Greece. Can I apply for the job as vice president? Oh by the way I am married to a gun touting law enforcement guy and I am a republican. If Palin is ready to server then I know I am too. I have never met McCain, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem either since Palin only met him once before as well. Sorry I am simply not impressed at all. I am rather insulted by this choice. I think I will go with Obama-Biden I can see killing Bambi and serving him up on the dinner table.Dam she got me on that one. She is truly the poster girl for why 44 year old women should not have children. Can you say downs syndrome?

August 30, 2008 at 2:16 am |
  10. Daniel Sylvie

As the parents of a Down Syndrome child, we would like to comment on the choice and acceptance of Sarah Palin as John Mccains VP. We question both the judgment of John Mccain (for asking Mrs Palin) and Mrs Palin for accepting this job at a time when her infant Child with Down Syndrome needs her most. This is a critical time for the child and the family that will require undivided and full time attention. We can only surmise that Mrs Palin is ill informed of the challenges, importance and dedication required at this critical stage of development of this special child, or her personal ambitions have clouded her judgement.

August 30, 2008 at 2:10 am |
  11. I. Stevens

It was great to see the latest Palen Family images. As a retired teacher and advocate of teenagers, I was puzzled when I saw that the baby had been passed to the teenager for their first national appearance. The father's hands were FREE.

August 30, 2008 at 2:09 am |
  12. Kris

Anderson, I was actually impressed with a bit of fairness you displayed while reporting this breaking news. Also, thank you and CNN for atleast giving both sides for a change. You all reported the distortions/exagerations made by Mr. Obama re: his attacks and demeaning remarks towards Mr. McCain. I think, yes you have many liberal viewers who would only like their side shown/expressed but if you wish to have a diverse group of viewers and show yourselves fair.......tonight was a good start. Good for you! P.S. You might want to relay that to Campbell Brown....she got rather mean spirited tonight on her views re: Mr. McCain's VP pick.

August 30, 2008 at 2:05 am |
  13. Janet

Compelling story?? I'm a soccer Mom, does that make me qaulified for VP? I go to business school, I could be a CEO in the near future!!!
    McCain's reasoning is hogwash.
    It is now up to the Republican media to sell Palin to ignorant people. I think it is very annoying of McCain campaign to attack Obama for lack of experience, then he arms himself with a hockey Mom who is supposed to be the "answer America needs" Give me a break. McCain, you are no authority on what America needs.

I am horrified of the idea of Palin representing America abroad, especially in Countries like Russia, China and Iran.

Hell no....she needs to go. Sorry McCain, you blew my vote

August 30, 2008 at 1:58 am |
  14. ddd

the republican party has lost its way.

August 30, 2008 at 1:41 am |
  15. dh

john mccane is a desperate old fool. It is very simple.He cares more for the party than the country. The republicans are trying to sell gov paulin like they they sold the war.Further more this women should be tested for smoking pot to a greater margin.I undrestand this history is more than she admitted too.

August 30, 2008 at 1:30 am |
  16. Ed

PALIN? I am just trying to picture her sitting across the table from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, or Putin, and how they are ever going to take her seriously... COME ON..!!
    I think McCain needs to be checked for altzheimers.
    As a democrat I am smiling from ear to ear, but as an American, I cannot imagine how completely inept we must appear to the rest of the world by saying that she is ready to lead this country.

August 30, 2008 at 1:27 am |
  17. thomas

This is just ugly..... and strange! I don't get it... Is he going for sex appeal?!?!?!? She is attractive.... and sex does sell... and he needs all the help he can get!

August 30, 2008 at 1:27 am |
  18. Pat

McCain must be senile. I hope that the Amercan public is able to see through McCain's hope to gather the supporters of Hillary Clinton by choosing Palin in as VP. She is not qualified by her own admission. Earlier she wanted to know what a vice president does all day. She has paid no attention to the war in Iraq – does this qualify her to be commander-in-chief if the 72 year-old doesn't make it 4 years. I believe the Hillary supporters are smarter than to fall for this.

August 30, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  19. Dori in AZ

Senator John McCain, with this EXTREMELY reckless move to win votes, is potentially placing us all in harm's way. As far as I'm concerned, should John McCain win the election with Palin as his VP, he is placing the entire United States of America in a clear and present danger.

McCain is obviously far more concerned with winning an election than he is in protecting the U.S. A governor who is currently being investigated by her state for ethics violations in regard to abuse of power has obviously not been "vetted." What kind of judgment does McCain have that he would not automatically place her aside with this very dark cloud engulfing her?

This is not a game, sir. These are our LIVES you are toying with. And, you are an abomination!

August 30, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  20. Gary Chandler in Canada

Have NOT found anyone who has pointed out that McCain and Palin disagree on the abortion issue!!!!???
    Palin is a full blown pro lifer who does NOT condone abortion in rape and incest cases or if tests show physical problems like downs.
    From a prolife BLOG (not sure if true)>>>
    In a debate with George W. Bush in May of 2000, John McCain attacked Bush's support for the pro-life plank in the Republican Party. Still today, John McCain believes that babies who are conceived via rape or incest should be murdered.
    John McCain has repeatedly voted to fund pro-abortion providers such as Planned Parenthood with federal tax dollars. In fact, McCain has voted to use federal tax dollars to support abortion providers at home and overseas.
    In 2000, he boldly said he did not favor the overturn of Roe v. Wade. John McCain was a member of the infamous "Gang of 14" senators from both parties whose purpose was to oppose pro-life, strict constructionist judges. Speaking of judges, John McCain voted for the pro-abortion justice, Stephen Breyer, and the radical, pro-abortion, ACLU attorney, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. So much for the argument that we need John McCain for the sake of appointing conservative justices to the Supreme Court.

August 30, 2008 at 1:21 am |
  21. Gary Dickson

McCain picking a female Vice President running mate is a desparate measure to attempt to obtain the votes of Clinton female supporters. This is insulting to the women of America who have formed great bonds with Hillary Clinton. Insulting in the sense that McCain believes he can manipulate the votes of unsophistcated working class American, who arre primarily Clinton supporters. The Republicans are set out to destroy our American spirit.

August 30, 2008 at 1:19 am |
  22. Barb

Thank you for the wonderful Birthday present to President Obama. All one can say WHAT WERE YOU THINKING

August 30, 2008 at 1:00 am |
  23. Herb

Gov Palin's executive experience and good judgement exceeds that of B. Hussein Obama.

B. Hussein Obama has no executive experience and exercised poor judgement by being associated with: Rev Wright, Father Pfleger, Bill Ayers, Larry Sinclair, Tony Rezko, Willie Barrow, Luis Farrakhan etc.

August 30, 2008 at 12:37 am |
  24. Cheryl

Did anyone else notice McCain fidgeting with his wedding ring during her acceptance speech? That is some uncomfortable body language there! And when she said something to the effect that her husband was the greatest man to stand next to...he was all mr fidget and fake smile.

I think the Christians are too smart to be played like this. I hear talk about how women are upset at having a token female up there; that they are insulted that someone would think them dumb enough to vote for her. Where is this same line from the Christians. The religious right elected Bush yet he killed thousands of people in the wars. They won't do it again. They want a world for their children to grow up in!

August 30, 2008 at 12:27 am |
  25. Tina

OMGosh! What a group of manipulators the McCain camp have become. Talk about desperation. They see what is taking place and choose to attack and spread lies. Just like a dysfunctional family. Do you really think we are that stupid. No more! Enough! No way, No How, No McCain.

August 30, 2008 at 12:24 am |
  26. Susan

Pollster Scott Rasmussen said months ago that Sarah Palin is the ONLY one who can help McCain do the three things he needs to do to win: Energize the Republican base, attract women and bring in blue-collar workers (the voters that Obama keeps insulting).

Palin is a true crusader – While Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska oil board, she found corruption and reported it. Turns out that the head of the oil board, the Attorney General and the incumbent Gov. were all involved in the corruption, and they tried to get her fired. She fought back and got the oil board head & AG fired, then turned around, ran against the Gov. and won. This is the stuff that books and movies are made of. They were all Republican, by the way.

And Nancy – What do you find so appalling about Palin's baby being present at the speech? Except for her son who is in the Army and couldn't be there, every other family member was there. Do you think he should be hidden because he isn't "normal"? That's the beauty about Sarah Palin – when she found out he has Down's Syndrome, she wanted him anyway, and welcomed him into this world!

August 30, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  27. Tim

Govenor Sarah Palin is a good person and has a lot to offer to the people of the state of Alaska i lived there for 15 years and did support her for govenor,However i will not support her to become VP of this country. She does not have enough experience outside of the state. Senator McCain and the republican party is using Gov. Palin to get hold of the precious state of Alaska. Also Senator McCain does not think women deserve equal pay. She is very socially concervative and this will help with the base....

DON'T VOTE FOR THIS TICKET WE WILL HAVE NO SAY FOR 4 MORE YEARS ABORTION WILL BE ILLEGAL AND MUCH MORE SOCIAL RIGHTS WILL BE TAKEN AWAY.

August 30, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  28. Thomas-Arizona

As a Republican, I must admit I was at first a bit surprised by his choice. I am a little concerned after reading the comments on this blog however; the controversy may over shadow the reality. She appears to be someone who is truly about affecting change. The facts as I have watched them tonight show her as a strong leader, although somewhat limited in time in service, and apparently unafraid of differing from the party line. To all of the people who have written her off without even coming to know or understand who she is or what she stands for is puzzling to me. I would ask everyone who is so firmly trenched in the Obama / Biden camp, really if we are to write her off without even affording her the ability to speak to her limited time in politics, are you really comfortable with your choice as Commander and Chief?

August 30, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  29. Simon

Sorry Democrats this Presidency is more important than you. Common sense is what the people want not speeches and rhetoric.

August 30, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  30. Sonia JENNINGS

I think McCain choice was based on his pride of loosing instead of considering the concerns of the people. Being that he is 72 years old, history of sickly near death, leaving this mother and needless to say inexperienced with terrorist to protect our country. Country! Not a town that only consist of less than 6,000 people but a Country to protect: Can she really handle that job? Alaska? What real crimes or horror things happen there that she can fear? To me this choice is more about competing with a Black African minority and a comparison to win by selecting another minority. Just like the amendments, Caucasian or white women were given the right to vote before black people (men) were given the right to vote. In my opinion if she wins it would be another blow to Black Africans for its repetitious not historical. Obama is historical. I'm not 100% sure about Obama but McCain choice has convinced me to be 110%. Last of all, it's scary if God forbid he passed and her as VP became President. I would feel unsafe. This choice is equivalent to Nancy Reagan running the country into debt while Ronald suffered with his illness, alteimers.

August 29, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  31. Nikki

Truely John McCain does not get it. Clinton supporters are too smart to vote for Palin. Also now tell me who is a celeberity? Obama or Miss Congeneality? Putting such an inexperienced person on Natl Security shows how insincere and unpatriotic McCain is. He is literally risking national security (if something would happen to him) to win a political campaign..

August 29, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  32. Mark

lampe is basically a small minority of HRC supporters. You are only voting for McCain because of gender. If you were to hear the issues and differences between Palin and HRC without gender running through your arteries you would see differently.

August 29, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  33. Nnanna Onukogu

Well, let's all just settle down a minute here and carefully put some thoughts together. McCain's VP choice is clearly a political motive. Sarah Palin was picked for the following reasons: (1) In other for the republicans to exercise a fake demonstration of change in washington, (2) in other for the republicans to try their luck of winning the hearts of some of the still delusional indecisive Clinton voters/ women voters, (3) in other for McCain to take the risky chances of him appearing to stick to his "Maverick" identity, and (4) in other for McCain to incorporate into his hopeful candidacy someone he can easily overshadow with his already outlined political intentions. In additional, by picking Paulin, I believe McCain intends to see if he could overturn Obama's message of change. By the way didn't he return to the old washington politics by picking Biden. After all is said and done, this does not reflect change rather Paulin reflects that change from the old ways of washington to the news ways americans intend to see however her overall credentials belittles McCains assumed positions of experience, reliability, confidence and results.

August 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  34. Kevin Keough

Governor Sarah Palin will prove to be a clever selection for VP.

Palin made an extraordinarily positive first impression. She is sharp, solid, sensible, strong, attractive, formidable, and .......Very likable. Importantly, she put Sen Ted Stevens in his place-not too shabby.

While Hillary's resume is more impressive let's not forget 50 % of Americans won't allow her to be in their living rooms for the next 4 years–she rubs people the wrong way.

Governor Palin is a breath of fresh air who seems more substantial than Obama. America will never permit a repeat of Hillary and Bill. McCain and Palin will slowly win over enough people to get elected. We will be comfortable more comfortable with Palin and McCain in our homes than Obama.

Imagine a Biden-Palin ticket or McCain-Palin ticket with Biden as Sec. of State and Powell or Hagel as Sec of Defense. Hey, I am a native Delawarean. Biden dominated the debates.

Bottom line: Palin is at least as presidential as Obama. Biden was tapped to be VP for same reason Cheney joined the Bush ticket.

Palin will surprise.

August 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  35. Alvin from WA

Palin has more experience than Obama. Obama has no accomplishment an abysmal record and no guts to take McCain's offer for debate. Should I mention his questionable affiliations? The media would say its a Democratic year but its an American year and the highest office in the land doesn't go to a person with a weak character and lack of judgment. Your record shows where you stand and the people that know you and that you surround yourself speaks to your judgment.

August 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  36. Chris Bertison

I think Palin's personal political aspirations taking the front seat to her direct care of her months old Down's syndrome baby is appalling.

August 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  37. Nnanna Onukogu

Well, let's all just settle down a minute here and carefully put some thoughts together. McCain's VP choice is clearly a political motive. Sarah Palin was picked for the following reasons: (1) In other for the republicans to exercise a fake demonstration of change in washington, (2) in other for the republicans to try their luck of winning the hearts of some of the still delusional indecisive Clinton voters/ women voters, (3) in other for McCain to take the risky chances of him appearing to stick to his "Maverick" identity, and (4) in other for McCain to incorporate into his hopeful candidacy someone he can easily overshadow with his already outlined political intentions. In additional, by picking Paulin, I believe McCain intends to see if he could overturn Obama's message of change. By the way didn't he return to the old washington politics by picking Biden. After all is said and done, this does not reflect change rather Paulin reflects that change from the old ways of washington to the news ways americans intend to see however her overall credentials McCains assumed positions of experience, reliability, confidence and results.

August 29, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  38. Paul Evans

It seems that McCain thinks if you put a paper bag on their politics; they all look alike.

August 29, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  39. Tabella

The choice of the the Governor of Alaska’s Governor will be detrimental to wildlife across America.

“While the former Governor of Alaska, Tony Knowles, vetoed a bill that would have allowed aerial wolf hunting in Alaska, the present Governor and vice Presidential choice of John McCain, Sarah Palin, said she supports aerial wolf hunting, she is a life-long member of the NRA (National Rifle Association) and a hunter, and has not protected the polar bears. If she is in the Whitehouse, along with McCain, our wildlife will be in peril even more than they are now based on her beliefs and policies as Governor.

Direct quote from Governor Palin:
    "I am a lifetime member of the NRA, I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska's youth….I have always strongly supported the personal use of fish and game by Alaskans. I grew up hunting and fishing in Alaska, and I am proud to raise my children with this same uniquely Alaskan heritage. … Anti-hunting groups who oppose hunting and fishing rights will be the winners if we allow them to pit us against ourselves….As an Alaskan with strong beliefs on this issue, I am confident in my ability to build consensus among diverse user groups and reconcile the many competing interests in a manner.”

August 29, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  40. Patrick

The choice of Palin is so off-the-wall that even your commentators don't seem to understand the implications. A couple kept mentioning how much of a risk and gamble she is to McCain's candidacy when in fact the more important and bigger story is that we, the American people, at the ones who've been put truly at risk by this irresponsible, cavalier decision. America and Americans are the ones who stand to lose the most by the choice of this clearly underqualified candidate should she ever become commander-in-chief. It is we who are most at risk! The VP pick is generally agreed to be a candidates first major decision. If this the kind of risk-taking with our lives and country that McCain is willing to take as a candidate, what can we expect should he be granted the full power of the presidency? This choice pushes McCain beyond maverick to mystic.

August 29, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  41. marcos nj 2 nc

Can some one please point out. how john mclame, overlooked Bobby gindal with gustav coming he can really prove himself if he handles it well……some judgement he has.

August 29, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  42. Dan Aubeuf

Palin will withdraw her name and Dick Cheney will be the Vice President again ?

I'm just joking, right?

Republicans don't play FAIR!

Palin will withdraw her name from the Republican choice for Vice-President and Dick Cheney will be the same old "Vice" Vice Presidential choice.

Dick Cheney can do anything he wants!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  43. Annie Kate

McCain blew this pick. In trying to best the Democrats he left himself open to a lot of criticism from the Dems as well as his own party. His VP pick was more important than the Dems because of his age – and he blew it. Not a good start.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 29, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  44. Delores Pardner

This is one time Mr. McCain should have consulted his wife. I'm sure she would have pointed out all of the pro's and con's – the con's winning. President Regan, I'm told listened to his wife and did'nt do so bad. If you have a good marriage and relationship with your spouse, you come to trust their judgement. It seems his advisors let him down this time, if they are with whom he was consulting.

August 29, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  45. Alas, My Countrymen

Must feel terrible to have been so badly used! Guess Pawlenty, Romney, Ridge et al now know the true meaning of being a Republcan. Don't worry, your turns will come like McCain's did, when you will be able to kiss A** and bow down to the very men who disparaged and disrespected you.

Oh. To all those blue collar Pennsylvania workers who say they will now vote for McCain, I say go ahead. I will be laugheing all the way to my retirement swimming pool when you are without a job or pension, your healthcare is being taxed and you are wondering what happened to your middle class dream. Just be sure to tell your sons and daughters and grandchildren that you are responsible for their declining fate as creationism takes over for real science, the draft comes into being to replenish our army destroyed by McCain's over reach, and foreign nations outstrip us educationally and technologically.

The Roman Empire declined from within due to the ignorance of its populus. America is headed on that same path significantly due to the complicity of the mass media.

Heaven help America!

America will have been not olny BUSHED but McCained, and I will laugh all the way to the bank knowing I have mine and you will never get yours, although I tried desperately to help you to do so!

August 29, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  46. ME, from the Land of Sky Blue Waters

Poor Tim! He wasn't 2nd runner up in the Miss Alaska Beauty Pageant like McCain's new "winner." Cindy McCain is a former Beauty Pageant Barbie, too. Gee! John McCain Jefferson Clinton all over again?

August 29, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  47. nancy

Mc Cain's pick is appalling. Has dementia set in? This woman is not Vice President material. Furthermore, it is irresponsible and tasteless to get the NEWS out about Palin's recent pregnancy and amniocentesis test resulting in the diagnosis of her fetus as a Down's Syndrome child and her decision to continue the pregnancy....PLUS bringing the sleeping child to "show" us. This we learned in just minutes from the announcement of McCain's VP choice. These are PRIVATE matters. This is an abomination of decent behavior....putting on public display such private matters in a CAMPAIGN in hopes to win over votes of a certain segment of our society. Smacks of a "side show" or some ridiculous soap opera.

One would think people who deign to think themselves worthy of the highest office in the land would know how to behave in a proper and dignified manner.

August 29, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  48. s. lehman

gov palin not qualified, too conservative and inexperienced, from a small state in a remote region.

August 29, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  49. lampe

Well, at least they didn't throw him under the BUS, like they threw The Clintons . I live in Pa. and think McCain made a lovely choice. I as well as many of my friends, who are HRC Supporters, will be voting McCain\Palin 2008 NO-OBAMA NO WAY NO HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  50. John C, St Paul, Mn

Pawlenty may be a weasel but he's OUR weasel.

August 29, 2008 at 8:30 pm |