August 29th, 2008

The Game-Changer

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/29/art.palin2.jpg]

John P. Avlon
Author, Independent Nation: How Centrists Can Change American Politics

The secretive selection of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as John McCain's vice president is a small masterpiece of tactical and strategic triangulation intended to drive a deeper wedge between Hilary and Obama supporters. With both parties now offering historic campaigns of change, Obama loses exclusive use of that emotional real estate, and Republicans may gain a new edge with swing voters by offering both change and more of the same.

The downside for Republicans is that Palin's selection will undermine their attacks on Barack Obama's youth and inexperience. Governor Palin was first elected governor in 2006 – and before that she was mayor of her home town in Alaska, Wasilla, with an operating budget of less than $6 million. But Democrats will have a difficult time attacking her without provoking accusations of sexism – Joe Biden's attack-dog instincts could backfire badly in the VP debate. That is a variation off the same problem Republicans had with Obama until they stumbled upon using humor with the Achilles heel of the "celebrity" argument.

Governor Palin's status as a pro-life second amendment soccer mom keeps conservatives happy while offering the only (albeit brief) experience with executive leadership on either ticket.

McCain was grinning the grin of the successful gambler as he unveiled his pick in Dayton today. Palin's introductory speech hit themes designed to appeal across the political spectrum – saying "this is a moment when principles and political independence matter a lot more than just the party line."

Fiscal conservatives who felt betrayed by the GOP during the era of Tom Delay found plenty to like in her record of cutting taxes and government spending – she actually refused the federal funding for the infamous Bridge to Nowhere.

Independents and centrists will appreciate her role in filing ethics charges against the Republican State Party Chairman and Alaska Attorney General – she is an outsider and a relative reformer in the home state party of indicted Senator Ted Stevens.

Liberals may appreciate her shout outs to Geraldine Ferrarro and Hillary Clinton – and her status as a 44-year old working-mother, married to her union-member high-school sweetheart, and their 5 kids – including an eldest who is due to ship out to Iraq.

The McCain campaign did an M15-job of keeping her selection under-wraps – there were no leaks or rumors even in the early morning of the announcement. In some ways it was a counter to the selection of Joe Biden and McCain's "7 houses" gaffe. Just as Biden was an acknowledgement of Obama's weaknesses on experience and foreign policy, Palin brings youth and a blue collar background to the McCain ticket – without angering social conservatives who were threatening to revolt if he defied their pro-life litmus tests.

Palin fits the Republican bill perfectly – but her fast rise from obscurity to being a candidate for vice-president was fast even by Obama-era standards. This is a person who had not been on the national political radar screen at all when the 08 presidential race began in the build to the 06 midterm elections. Whether she will prove to be a seasoned campaigner in the 67‑day sprint to Election Day remains to be seen.

Her selection speaks in part to the striking lack of diversity on the Republican bench, even when it comes to women. And more seasoned figures like Senator Olympia Snowe – who routinely wins 70% re-elections in the blue state of Maine – were never considered due to her liberal social positions. But Palin is an appealing young face – disarming decades old conservative stereotypes – and the Democrats must be on defense the day after their convention.

On a side note, the 2008 election has proved to be big-time for our non-continental states – Hawaii and Alaska, traditional presidential politics after-thoughts, now have native sons and daughters on the each ticket in the form of Obama and Palin. Our 49th and 50th states have come along way since Ike, and half a century since reaching statehood they've reached political maturity.

The bottom line: this already historic campaign just got more historic, and more competitive. Sarah Palin's selection represents an extraordinary evolutionary step forward for the Republican Party, and by extension, for our nation's politics. Neither the ticket looks like those of the past –and that's a good thing for America in the 21st Century.

Filed under: John P. Avlon • Raw Politics
  1. Ken

I really feel sorry for John McCain's desperate attempts at slowing down the inevitable momentum that will take Obama to the White House. If he thinks that by bringing Palin onto his ticket in some way gives him an upper hand to the Obama-Biden ticket, I am encouraged that my decision to vote for Obama-Biden is the right one.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  2. David

Will McCain have an affair with this woman than leave his wife just like he did with his first wife for the woman he's with now.

Or will McCain devorce his wife before he leave her for the other woman.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  3. David- TX

I am an Obama supporter and I watched the primary and enjoyed hillary debate my candidate because she was tough but this woman Palin is nothing close to Hillary whether with her speech which did not connect today, or the way she tried to use Hillary's analogy. I might not have supported Hillary in the primary but you can tell who knows what they are talking about and who does not. Hillary is no fairy tale unlike..............

August 29, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Heather

Give me a break. Palin is just a "token" to pull in woman votes. She is no Hillary Clinton. She is a glorified baby making PTA soccer mom turned governor– and now a far right conservative VP candidate. How is this working class June Cleaver going to tend to her baby and effectively serve in the position? If this beauty queen wasn't such a showpiece to the aging McCain, she wouldn't stand a chance. Is she qualified to take charge if God forbid, McCain didn't complete his term? I think not. Vote for real change. Vote Obama/Biden!

August 29, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Evelyn

I have always been an Obama supporter but I respected Hillary. If I had been a Hillary supporter I would be very insulted. To compare this woman to Hillary just because they have similar body parts is unbelievable. She has absolutely no experience in world affairs. She has a BA degree from Idaho University 5 kids, a mayor of a town of 8000 people and the Governor of a very small state. She has accomplished much but not to be Pres. of the US. I fear for our country if they win.

August 29, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Dot

Wow- is Sarah Palin a dynamo or what!! Give her chance, she has SO much to contribute to our nation. If you want change, you're sure to get it with Gov. Palin, and I mean change for the better. Just listen to a few interviews she has given and you can't help but support her.
    John McCain- kudos to you! You hit a home run with your new running mate!

August 29, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Pamela Gravitt

I could not be happier with the choice that was made. I am not of a particular party, I am for the person who I believe can manage fairly, uphold our lives as if they were their own, and holds values similar to my own. The strongest information provided was that she chose across party lines. She chose based on values rather than affiliation only. There is absolutely too much of that. Hiliary looks pretty rediculous standing so strong behind her party candidate when it is obvious that she did not feel he was the right choice from the beginning. I am not voting because she is a women because I certainly had no intent to vote for Hiliary. As for the foreign policy, does it not make more sense for the VP to be taught/assisted by the president than it does for the president (Obama) to be taught by the VP. Besides, if she has as much tack and common sense as it appears, she should be able to master that task. We need to worry as much about our country as we seem to be worried about foreign policy.

August 29, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Elior Miller

Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton competed for the attention of the nation with their platforms and their ideas for almost eighteen months. John McCain met Sara Palin twice and chose her to be his VP, as Anderson would say, it's the raw politics. I agree with David Gergen, given the fact that she has zero foreign policy experience, this is a very risky choice, and hardly a patriotic one.

August 29, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Amina from TN

@ karen
    i feel the same way. i am very very insulted by this.
    what a desperate plea.

August 29, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Jessica

As a woman I am very insulted that McCain thinks he can win our votes based on the fact that Palin is a woman. Hillary supporters weren't only supporting her because she was a woman...they were supporting her because of her stance on the issues and all of her hard work on healthcare, etc. while she was the first lady. I think McCain just ended it for himself. Would we seriously chance having her as our president if something were to happen to him? NO!

August 29, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  11. lloyd

i thought that mccain put his country first but i see that he is just trying to win the election. if he win i'm moving to canada

August 29, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Justin Nappier

look Obama questioning Palin experence is like a member of a fortune five hundred board of trustee saying that the President of Foryune 1000 company is not qualifed to be president. Let's be honest being the one in charge is a hole lot different then being just a member of the board. He is only 45 and she is 44 I don't see the big difference.

August 29, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Lawrence Deanette

Hillary is my president. She will shatter and blown into pieces the glass ceiling!!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Lawrence Deanette

Democrats treated Hillary bad. Republicans panders Hillary Supportes. Hillay should run as independent for President. Lets see who will will the 3 way circus.Im voiting Hillary for President in 08

August 29, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  15. GAIL Centre,Al;

I'll vote for a gov. any time before a community organizer. MCcain- Palin ticket is the winning ticket I am so thrilled there's a woman on the ticket. Dems do you know now that you have the wrong nominee.

August 29, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Robin

The 'good old boys club' will never let any intelligence get in their way. Sarah Palin has an oil feild in her back yard, and her back pocket, literally. It's about the oil money, stupid! Wake up America! Four more years of McSame will have most of us living in the cars we can not afford to drive!!!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  17. rich

I'm an Alaskan. I know Palin. She is a winner. Strategically, McCain could not have made a better choice. When America gets to know her, they will wonder why she is not at the top of the ticket...someday...in the mean time, I hope she pushes for as many VP debates as possible – she steals the show in that venue. This will change the race as much as Clinton's focus on the economy vs Bush 1. She is the best representative women could have. This is not a political hail mary, but a shrewd and wise choice for VP. It fundamentally changes the nature of this race, and makes the Obama/Biden call for 'change' look superficial and weak. Palin is the real deal and is not being taken advantage of, McCain is lucky to have her...that's why Obama said, "the race is about McCain" in response today...hmmm...I think Obama is about to get Obama'ed...by a very capable woman.

August 29, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Ingrid D

There seems to be a lot of knee jerk reaction here, and a few comments are a bit mean. Let's see what she brings to the table. The governor of a state that is sandwiched between Canada and Russia must have some idea of foreign affairs. I know it isn’t the Middle East and not the best compairison but governing land that is an ice bridge from the Russian Navy at least deserves a chance to make her case. I find the pick intrigueing and want to hear more. Let’s not forget that we are still learning a lot about Obama (well delivered speech last night).

Just an aside…I find it curious that most of the compairisons are between Palin and Obama and not between VPs. Let’s give it some time.

August 29, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. lampe

I don't care is Gov. Palen is Pro-life. So what if she takes away your right to have an abortion. The DNC, took away your right as a women to have your vote count. Obama, did not win this election, it was handed to him on a silver platter. This man was a first term Senator (ie) 4 years, of which he has campaigned to be president 2 of those years. Gov. Palin, has 13 years experience, as aMAYOR, and aGOVERNOR. I would rather have her in the White House with her experience, in case GOD-FORBID something would happen to McCain, then to have no-experience Obama, there if nothing happens to McCain. I am a proud supporter of HRC, and I will be casting my vote for any women,who has a chance at doing anything The DNC, said Sen. Clinton, was not allowed to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Deb Green

I actually was considering voting for McCain before today and hearing of his VP selection. Now, you could not pay me to vote for this ticket and his choice solidfied who to support this coming Nov. I am concerned with McCain's health and who would be left in charge. I'm not convinced Palin was picked for any reason outside of her sex and connections to big oil. Sorry gang but as a working single mom of three kids, one with disabilites, I do not see how Palin can run for office and still be a "good" mom...and I certainly cannot vision her as our country's VP,managing five kids, well, one which requires special attention and extra commitment. I know...I do it everyday and would not change anything other than wishing for more hours in a day to help my child. The Repulican family values?? come on....if she really wants to be the kind of parent they brag about, does the McCain party really think she can be an effective VP and Mom to five while still learning the world of politics. John McCain is thinking about how to win...not about what is best for his country. Selfish. Sad. Disturbing.

August 29, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  21. lynn

John McCain would rather pander to win an election than put Contry First. Doing something "bold" is not something to commend especially when he today when he nominated her was the THIRD time they had been together in person. Thinking it will win him TRUE Hillary supporters is insulting to the deoth and wisdom of Hillary and the woman who really supported her for what she stood for.

August 29, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  22. Paul

He selected the Sera Palin, just because she is a women, and just to deal the business of 18 million holes, did not he had any other descent choice to compete. Is not he insulting women intelligence, did not he insulted the 50% population of the world. Are these the values he is so proud of ????????

August 29, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  23. GAIL Centre,Al;

I am so exicited about MCcain v.p. pick. I think she brings great appell to the women voters. When Obama left Hillary out, there went the dems chance to win the whitehouse. MCcain and Palin is the winning ticket. They're really is a God, and he's looking out for this country. Can't wait for the debates. Bring it on Obama. That glass ceiling is going to crumble around the dems. GO MCCAIN-PALIN

August 29, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  24. Karen

Talk about judgement! . In one fell swoop he has insulted Hillary Clinton, all her supporters, and women in general.
    A couple of things I really need to say. Sen. Obama did not get the nomination because of any rock star status. His campaign was run better than the others. He has already demonstrated executive ability by the choices he's made in the hiring of those running his campaign and a solid, serious choice in his running mate Joe Biden. If anything were to happen to him, I would feel confident with Biden taking over.
    McCain, on his 72nd birthday, with a history of recurring melanoma picks this person, that no one could feel confident about in the oval office.
    His judgement is seriously flawed and he really does not "get it" as Obama said . If it wasn't so sad for our country, it would be funny.

August 29, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  25. Shannon

For those of you who would like to discredit Governor Sarah Palin because she happens to be a strong, beautiful, woman, please take some time to find out everything she has accomplished during her years as a Mayor and Governor in the Great State of Alaska. Just because a woman is good looking doesn't mean that she is unintelligent!

She is an excellent example to all women of the good that we can do....pretty or not.

August 29, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  26. michele pagano

The republicans tried this already and didn’t work. For example, Condolezza Rice has been the first black woman to serve as National Security Advisor and the first black woman to serve as Secretary of State, and look at the results!
    This race has nothing with the gender or race of the candidates but with their leadership, efficiency, and vision.
    Michele Pagano, NYC

August 29, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  27. Arachnae

Sarah Palin is John McCain's Harriet Miers.

August 29, 2008 at 9:33 pm |
  28. Ree

The republicans have reached a new low today! I am a woman and I'm insulted that they thought that picking Sarah Palin would make Clinton supporters satisfied with settling with a woman with no experience as the vice president. Women were voting for Clinton because we were confident that she could change things in the white house as PRESIDENT. This just shows that McCain is willing to do anything just to win. He wasn't thinking about the American people with his choice he was only thinking of himself.

This little stunt that he has pulled has made Barack Obama have my vote he could have belittled women also for a vote but he picked the high road. He made a choice for America! John McCain waited to see who Obama picked and then chose a woman. Repulican Party hear this: Impress me by backing a WOMAN for President. He couldn't even let her have her moment. Way to go McCain that's showing a woman can stand on her own.

August 29, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  29. kim-chicago

Impulsive, reckless and downright scary...but I expect nothing less of John McCain.

August 29, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  30. Jyl Barber

I am appalled, insulted, and terrified over John McCain's pick for his running mate. It frankly shows that John McCain is either senile, or has very poor judgment. How dare he play politics with the future and security of this nation? But I want to make one important point. The Republican parrots are arguing that she has as much or more experience and credentials as Barack Obama. That is ridiculous, and someone needs to point out that she just flew in here and has done absolutely NOTHING to qualify her for possibly the highest position in the world. She has not campaigned, she has not debated, she has no relevent experience, no plan, no vision, she was just dragged in here from her hockey mom car pool. Barack Obama has the education, the vision, and real experience and relationships on a national level, and has been tested by the grueling presidential campaign against the greatest leaders of our nation! Look, we have just gone through 8 years of rule by a totally incompetent former governor and his pit bull. I can't even stand the thought of four more years. God HELP America!

August 29, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  31. Dee T

Well, we have a level playing field now, don't we? Two inexperienced candidates and two seasoned candidates. Only difference between the two inexperienced candidates is one is trying for the top spot and the other for No. 2. Maybe the two parties could actually start talking about issues – their exact plans for taking this country forward. I'm sick of the mud slinging on both sides. Get off the petty stuff and tell me, exactly, how you plan to tackle the illegal immigration issue, how you plan to increase the military (draft?), or how you plan to prioritize our oil consumption. I'm on the fence and need answers not "pretty words" or "war experiences." And maybe the media could stop the yellow journalism and start reporting the news?

August 29, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  32. Cory

Don't let the name fool you. I am a female. I consider myself an independent and I am far from a liberal feminist. I believe all persons can achieve anything on their own record and merit. I am an independent and undecided for the upcoming election so I have no bias. That being said it is deplorable that the first thing Paul Begala stated was that the poise of the new VP nominee was thanks to her beauty pageant days. What is worse is that he didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with it. What, sexism is acceptable is racism is not? Could you imagine if anyone made such a remark about someone's race? Media can't talk about the candidates character first (good or bad) without "low blow" first about their gender? Don't think that would fly if it was about race. Paul seems like a likable guy overall but he needs to be very careful with his language especially if he wants to keep any of Hiliary's voters in the democratic party. Why does sexism get a free pass for ridicule? Even if it's light hearted, when it's the first thing out a someone's mouth it shows we have a long way to go.

August 29, 2008 at 9:17 pm |
  33. Karnbir Singh

Ok I'm 14 and I have something to say about this. First off I applaud the women for reaching such milestones, but McCain is being tactical which shows that he's not confident if he's going to win or not. I want a confident president, someone will not hesitate to make a decision. In this time period and circumstances we cannot afford conservatives in the white house. If people vote for McCain just because there is a female on the ticket they have to think it over. You can get a women in the white house but at the cost of another 4 years of this non sense. It's already terrible I mean bags of chips went from .25$ to .35$ gum went from .25$ to .35$ your probably thinking what effect do those little items have but it shows how truly poor the economy is that little thing like chips and gum and candy prices are going high. Sarah Palin is only their to draw votes for McCain so he can win and have power, it doesn't show that he wants to be president to bring change.

August 29, 2008 at 9:14 pm |
  34. Evans Oluoha

If by chance McCain wins and the inevitable finally happens during his term, please use your imagination and picture Palin sitting next to Puttin, Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong-il, Musharraf, Chavez.....scary, isn't it?

August 29, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  35. jamesN

Dang!, She's fine!

August 29, 2008 at 9:07 pm |
  36. AJ in Arkansas

oh this is just wonderful! I am thrilled with McCains VP choice. I have been a registered voter voting Democrat for almost 20 years now and was a true Hillary Clinton backer because I believed that she would spearhead the fight for equal pay for women everywhere as President. I was very happy to hear that McCain and the Republican party reached out to a qualified female candidate such as Palin.

As I watched the Democratic debocle unfold with the DNC ,CNN,and CNBC news and the negative views of Clinton being seen so obviously I knew that I wouldn't be voting for Obama. The media constantly portrayed Senator Clinton in a negative way and Obama was shoved down the publics throat as the medias "Golden Child".
    I have never voted for someone because it was "popular" or the new "coolest" thing to do or because the press tells me to. I do not intend to start now. I will always hold the Clintons in great regard and would be willing to vote for Hillary should she run again in the future,however I will be voting McCain / Palin in November!
    After all, She does have more executive experience than Obama does which is truelly telling of Obamas lack of experience!

McCain / Palin.............

Shout out to Hillary! "Please run again in the future, I will vote for you!

August 29, 2008 at 9:07 pm |
  37. Deanna-California

You're kidding me McCain!! I'm a woman that would never vote for a Patlin, a beauty pageant with no brains, just cutie pie smiles and phony beliefs...and his wife was a beauty pageant winner, and he picked one for his running mate, he is a dirty old man!!! She has no qualifications, but she's cute, that all and that's why he picked her! We're not stupid McCain! You Hillary people should see through this!!!
    She will take woman back 20 years, she is no reformer, just window dressing.

I want an OBAMA/BIDEN! Take the idiot McCainaics and trash them!

August 29, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  38. craig

now.......we can really tell who the real candidate for change is.....barak obama, who made the choice to hire someone with the american peoples best interest in hand, with experience in foreign affairs and a person we know and feel can be the president if something were to happen. Or, McCain, who made his choice based upon his need to win votes of women (hilarys) supporters in order to win the white house, forgetting about the interest of the american people.......thinking about the votes!!!
    now you tell me whos ready to be in the white house, someone who is for the people or the person whos in it for himself???? No way, No time, no mccain.....obama/biden 08

August 29, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  39. Brittany Webber

John McCains choice is going to prove to give him a huge advantage over Obama. When Sen. Hillary Clinton made her speech, Obama, Biden, and everybody watching had to of thought that he had made a mistake by not choosing her for his VP. By not doing so may ultimately be the reason why we end up with not four more years of the same, but much, much, worse. If Obama really believes that this Election is not about him, but about US, then he should have chosen our second choice for President as his Vice President regardless of how he felt about it. It would have been real difficult for the republicans to beat an Obama/Clinton ticket, By not choosing Hillary Clinton, he risked the Democrats opportunity we have waited 8 years for. 8 years of Bush and the Democrats allow this to happen. Thanks!

August 29, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  40. Shannon

This is the best choice McCain could make! Sarah Palin is a party reformer, an ethical person and exactly what our country needs. As a democrat I voted for her when she ran for governor because she was the BEST person for the job. She has never disappointed. Her consistently high approval rating shows that she has done an excellent job here in Alaska and I'm sure she will do just as excellent a job as our nation's Vice President. I was a supporter of Hillary Clinton and just could not buy the hype of Barak Obama. So as a woman & a mother, an American & an Alaskan the McCain/Palin ticket will get my vote as well as my husband's!
    Palin for President 2012!!!

August 29, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  41. Mike Wadner

A note to all those Hillary supporters who are still pissed and want to vote for McCain or not vote at all: 1) get over it. 2) If Obama wins the presidency, there is a very really chance that Bill and/or Hillary could end up in cabinet positions or similar. Start thinking long term – if Obama doesn't make the White House, Bill and Hillary are going to be left waiting another four years – what a waste that would be. And the Republicans get another fours years to F**K it up some more .....

August 29, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  42. Dennis Bundi

Anderson,
    Check this out. McCain's pick today was, on the higher percentile, HILLARY'S 'PUMAS'. Why...you might ask...
    Look at the body language. McCain is literally fidgeting, playing with his knuckles waiting for when Sarah Palin mentions and 'acknowledges' Hillary. He is so impatient, you can see him on his toes, leaning forward and sneaking a peak with the look of 'Are we there yet?'.
    The moment arrives and you can see his eyes light up with a mighty 'mission accomplished' look.
    Look at this moment and tell me what you think!!!

August 29, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  43. Deirdre

SHAME ON YOU, JOHN MC CAIN! How dare you allow your pundits to scramble all over TV calling this Palin person "Commander in Chief" of Alaska's National Guard. A Governor of any state can only MOBILIZE the Guard and the title of Commander in Chief is reserved solely for the President of the United States.
    SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

August 29, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  44. Jim

Did you notice John checking out Sarah Palin's butt while she was speaking.

August 29, 2008 at 8:54 pm |
  45. Bill

Come on John Mccain, where's the beef? Sarah you my be a delightful women in your own right but your no Hillary. This Governor being a heart beat away is frighting.

August 29, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  46. Mike Wadner

Sarah Palin for Vice President is as ridiculous and inappropriate as the Harriet Miers nomination for was for the Supreme Court (remember her? obviously not). Yeah it is the same thing. Pick a good Vice President and it is a non-issue, pick a bad one and it is a disaster. Had Bush picked a better VP than Cheney, he may have been a better President.

Sarah Palin isn't Hillary Clinton by a long shot and the women of this country won't be taken in by a pretty face.

August 29, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  47. Alan

If you watch the clip where McCain introduces Palin it won't take you long to realize exactly why he selected her. Watch carefully and you will see McCain looking at her in a way that has made me the recipient of a back hand from my wife.

August 29, 2008 at 8:46 pm |
  48. Laura, Alabama

If the democractic characterization of Sarah Palin as a small town mayor stands, then I guess we should call Obama a community organizer. As an independent voter I see no one on the political scene that I am anxious to see receive the keys to the kingdom. I do find it ironic that the dems seem so outraged that McCain would choose a VP pick with so little foreign policy experience but are willing to place such ardent worship on Obama and offer him as the leader of the free world. At least Palin is not at the top of the ticket for Republicans.

August 29, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  49. Albert

Game-Changer?
    By definition: "Conservatism is a term used to describe political philosophies that favour tradition, to seek to preserve the status quo or to reform society slowly."
    "Change, is the process of becoming different, social change."
    "Hypocrisy is the act of preaching a certain belief or way of life, but not, in fact, holding these same virtues oneself."
    So, conservative means change now? What a hypocrisy.

August 29, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  50. Aaron

Cripes, the mayor of Indianapolis governs more people, and probably has a bigger budget, than Governor Palin. Your average customs agent on the Mexican border has more foreign policy experience. And even a 5th grader knows more about the role of the VP than does Palin.

The McCain campaign has made no secret that they wanted a woman so that they could pick up disgruntled Clinton supporters. Meanwhile, evangelicals have made it clear that only a pro-life candidate will do. So in order to satisfy these two "qualifications" they have to pass over women (and men) FAR better prepared and capable. She's not the best for the job, she's the best to address two very specific perceived needs.

The fact that McCain only met her once just reinforces this analysis – he couldn't possibly be choosing her on anything other than a checklist of campaign strategies. Unfortunately, good on paper is not so good in person and awful for actual governing.

August 29, 2008 at 8:43 pm |