August 29th, 2008

Meeting Sarah Palin – hockey mom

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/29/art.palin.hockey.jpg caption="Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin standing beside her husband, Todd Palin, in Anchorage, Alaska in October, 2006. "]

David Mattingly
CNN National Correspondent

My interview request with Governor Sarah Palin was last-minute. I had a day in Anchorage while en route home from a shoot in Prince William Sound and wanted to talk with the woman who seemed to be on most GOP short lists for VP. She managed to fit me into her schedule between the time she registered one of her children for school and the time she was due in the office.

She arrived wearing sunglasses and a windbreaker. She drove herself to the interview location in a black SUV. There was no police escort, driver or entourage. She described herself as a "hockey mom" and certainly looked the part.

This was in early August and Palin seemed to believe she was a long shot. She thought Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue would make a good choice, and wrote herself off as someone who was "not one of the movers and shakers in the Republican Party" that would normally be picked.

Looking back, that was probably the main reason Palin was selected. She is a politician with a reputation for reform that was built about as far outside the beltway as you can get.

Filed under: Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. patricia

Let's get this straight re: the respective levels of credentials and experience for Mr. Obama and Miss Runner-Up Wasilla 1984.

Obama is a graduate of Columbia and Harvard Law.
    Miss Runner-Up Wasilla 84 has an undergrad from some school in Idaho

Obama is a civil rights attorney
    Miss Runner-Up Wasilla 84 is is a year into governorship of Alaska

Obama is a constitutional law professor
    Mis Runner-Up Wasilla 84 was mayor of a hamlet in Alaska

Obama was a state senator in one of the most populous states in the US
    Mis Runner-Up Wasilla 84 has governed a population of a small fraction of Mr. Obama's state and national senate districts

Obama chairs the Senate Subcommittee on European Affairs (a subcommittee of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which is chaired by Joe Biden)
    Miss Runner-Up Wasilla 84 is...is...........I got nothin'.

August 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  2. Christopher Estep

ADaniel, you hit the nail on the head. Liz from NY, obviously you didn't watch AC360 tonight (or read the interview posted above). The choice of Gov. Palin was not made to go after the women that supported Hillary that are hardcore-liberal (they by and large vote Democrat based on party platform, and no Republican stands a chance there).

However, selecting Gov. Palin *does* go after three groups that McCain (and Obama) have issues with (that includes a rather large number of Hillary Clinton supporters):

1. Blue-collar workers in the *battleground states* (areas like the T of Pennsylvania). While some of them may vote party-line, a lot more vote based on the issues. McCain-Palin is the only ticket, from either party, with someone that actually has chief-executive experience.

2. "No more business-as-usual!" Barack Obama's selection of Joe Biden is very much business-as-usual; he's been in Washington longer than even McCain! McCain's a known maverick; the fact that his running-mate is also a maverick should surprise absolutely nobody. (Would anyone care to wager that part of the reason for all the anger over McCain's choice is that it actually is as outside-the-box as McCain himself, not to mention utterly undercutting the linchpin of the entire Obama effort to paint McCain with the "Bush brush"?)

3. Pro-gun groups (especially the NRA). When the Supreme Court killed Washington, DC's gun-control law, groups like the Brady Center (formerly HCI) started to sweat. Break out the Secret; here's a Vice-Presidential candidate that is not only a Life Member of the NRA, but an avid hunter. (Camel, get your nose out of my tent, lest I shoot it off.)

As I said before; pure McCain, and purely brilliant. (Maybe that's why the pundits are worried; they are realizing that McCain is serious!)

That is why this Democrat is voting for McCain-Palin, and urging as many other voters as feel comfortable to follow suit.

August 29, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  3. Lorraine Sargent

I can not comprehend how this is considered a compliment to women. Instead it is a slap in the face. The decision represents itself to be based on the fact that the letters WO in front of MAN were the only deciding factor in choosing her. McCain took such a stance on the fact that choosing someone as his Vice President would be someone that could step into his shoes the next day. What does she have in her shoes to do that? And just as a side thought as a Mother myself....who takes care of her children if that were too happen? I guess Obama's viewpoint of ensuring a Mother the ability to take time off when a child is sick would have to come into play here...and she would still get paid...!!! but then who will answer the phone at 3am when her baby is crying at the same time. I have small children myself and certainly realize that there are many hands that come into raising our children, but how can the control of our country be a top priority? I certainly wouldn't enjoy someone who didn't know me, to be spewing at the mouth, so this is not meant as a personal attack. I am just utterly amazed that she could even remotely compare herself to Hillary Clinton as the new woman that will break through that glass ceiling. There have already been numerous mentions that McCain has had many indepth conversations with Palin...I want to know how many is considered many when you have only met someone once before choosing them for the second highest position in the country? Breaking thru that glass ceiling is only something that is looked upon as a success when someone has earned their steps up the ladder. When the break is created so the person above you can get there first well, that is no success...it is a true insult to womens rights everywhere.

August 29, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  4. Sarah

Wake up America... this woman is just whar Washington needs to shake up and REFORM the corruption going on there... and McCain had the cookies to pick her to help him do the job...The last time we had politicians that where Reformers was in 1876 – Samuel Tilden...As an Independent – the deal is sealed for me...I am voting McCain/Palin...

August 29, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  5. Rod Janssen

Hi, it looks to me that Sarah Palin has more experience at running government than Barak Oboma, she has run the state of Alaska as governor, seems like that is more experience than being a senator.

August 29, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  6. tara

I am so not shocked that John McCain would be so obvious in showing that this is an absolutley game. Don't we deserve more? Total let down. I am not impressed with her at all, really take time to read her credentials. We don't need another puppet running this country.

August 29, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  7. Darryl

I think the choice of Governor Palin was an excellent selection. She is articulate, carriers strong beliefs in the work of government and actually seems to get things done. I think she will scare the hell out of the status quo in Washington. I watched a past MSNBC interview with Maria Bartoramo tonight and noticed one thing. When Ms. Palin was being interviewed she constantly kept eye contact with Ms. Bartoramo. I've watched Obama interviews and he very rarely makes eye contact. Sincerity trumps shadiness!

August 29, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  8. John from RI

As this Sarah Palin scenario plays out, it seems that some of her remarks in her introduction today don't quite pass the smell test. It was very easy to find news items in legitimate publications that point out her initial support of the Ketchikan "Bridge to Nowhere". When the flak about it surfaced, she changed her tune and adopted the new stance before her nomination. McCain seems to have the VP judgement of G.H.W. Bush or George McGovern.

August 29, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  9. Jer

After this, the whole world is waiting for november 4th, crossing their fingers, hoping that americans will be smart enough to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States.

August 29, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  10. Diane Fritz

I think McCains choice for VP is insane and scares me to death. With his age and health history I doubt that he will complete his first term and if so and we have her to lead us, god help us. She has no idea what's ahead of her and how to do it. Let alone even do what a VP has to do. Especially with a new baby to take care of too. I thought all along that he was showing his age and now I'm sure of it. Have you noticed that he always reads from a paper when speaking. He'll have one hellava time in debates without that paper in front of him.

August 29, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  11. Jer

After this, the whole world is waiting for november 4th, crossing there fingers, hoping that americans will be smart enough to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States.

August 29, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  12. joe

This prompted me to actually read and research a bit about Gov. Sarah Palin. Very impressive lady!! Mother of 5. Youngest person ever elected AK Governor. And the first woman. Self-depreciating. Smart and tough on defense. Athlete. Strong family values, with working class roots. Amazingly strong on ethics, where as a young governor she jammed the extremely powerful inside-dealing republican leadership...stopped the infamous "bridge to nowhere"...she fined the republican leader for ethics violations. Heck, she likes to go fishing. I love it!!!

August 29, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  13. Dr. Johnson

Since my 18th birthday (I’m now 51), I’ve voted for every Democratic presidential candidate (all white) because I believe in the Democratic Party. If J.C. Watts (or any Black) was a vice president on the Republican presidential ticket, I would not switch parties and vote for him because he was an African American. Fundamentally though we share commonalities, we have diverse belief systems which govern us. I’m voting for Senator Obama for President. Not because he is Black. I’m voting for the candidate who can invoke “change” in American…and I’m proud that he is an African American male. In the past, I voted for the Democratic nominee even though the candidates were always white…Americans should not cast their vote for the Republican Party simply because Senator McCain is white.

If my wife and many other women voted for Senator Hillary Clinton, they voted for her because she upheld the morals, principles, and ethics of “change” reflected in the Democratic Party…and it is great that Hillary is a woman. My wife and millions of other women are not voting Republican simply because there is a woman on the presidential ticket. Democratic women are smarthe and more sophisticated than that. My wife and million of other women will not fall for the duplicitous nature of Senator John McCain and the Republican Party.

August 29, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  14. David

I am an independent who is not a McCain supporter. I voted for Obama in the primaries. Ever since he chose Biden I lost my faith him; he is surrounding himself with party core and throwing out the intelligent advisers he'd kept close to him at the start; the advisers that convinced me he might ever speak for me. I had decided that now I just wasn't going to vote. I heard of Palin a year ago and like her. So much so that I will vote for her... even if I have to vote for McCain to get her into the eventual presidency.

August 29, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  15. Ani

This shows another example of Mccain's bad judgement. Obama spends weeks, consults with people to make his decision. Mccain base his decision on what???? No idea...this is a disaster.

August 29, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  16. Christopher Estep

All this hate-mongering over McCain's choice of Governor Sarah Palin (R-Alaska) as his running-mate....and much of it from my fellow Democrats (most of whom claim to support Barack Obama). And for the most amazing of reasons.

She's too attractive. (Former beauty-contest winner; this is a minus? I have a cousin that is a former beauty-contest winner; she used the scholarship she won to start her on her way to medical school. She's now an MD, runs her own business, and still found time to be a mom with three lovely kids!)

She doesn't have enough experience. (Former mayor, and currently governor of Alaska. That is more CEO experience than McCain, Obama, and Biden – combined.)

Not enough experience running a major city or state (in short, picking on Alaska because it's too sparsely populated). Would you prefer someone like Maryland's governor, Martin O'Malley? (A disaster as mayor of Baltimore, I think that he was forced into the governor's mansion simply to evict him from city hall. His approval rating is the lowest for a sitting governor since Marvin Mandel.)

Not enough experience dealing with Washington. (She's already gone eye-to-eye with Washington – specifically with the current President – and made Bush blink.) Condoleeza Rice (the current Secretary of State)? Had McCain chosen her, Barack Obama would have been able to crow that McCain is *sticking to the Bush playbook*. Now, that dog literally has no chance of hunting.

Why did Gov. Palin refer to Geraldine Ferarro and Hillary (the first female nominee for Vice-President from a major party and the current junior Senator from New York)? Because if it weren't for them (both of them) she would not be where she is today (either as governor of Alaska or as McCain's running-mate). It's called *paying tribute to who lifted you up on their shoulders*. Yes, they are both Democrats. However, it doesn't mean they didn't help pave her road, either. She, at least, gets it.

August 29, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  17. Nadya Miles

IT'S ABOUT ME...MORE? IT'S ABOUT YOU !

As a woman on the brink of senior citizenship...
    As a mother and grandmother.
    As a woman who's succeeded ...against all the odds...in
    surviving and raising a daughter as a single divorced mother.
    A daughter who's now happily married.
    And is the mother of my 3 wonderful grandchildren.
    A bonus? My adopted granddaughter Meg...now 12.
    Well...12 1/2 to be exact.
    Quite important, at that age.
    Enough about me.
    It's about Obama and McCain and our beloved country.
    I'm insulted and outraged by McCain's choice of Governor
    Palin as his "running mate".
    right.
    sure.
    excuse me?
    Governor Palin?
    I see it simply as a desperate move on McCain's part.
    As admirable as she may be? She'll be? "A woman who knows
    who she works for".
    "A woman who knows who she works for".
    Exactly.
    Unless I misheard? McCain said that today.
    That remark alone? Makes me shudder.
    Let me know your thoughts.

Nadya in New York
    Gimme a break.
    Keep up the great work, Anderson!

Nadya Miles
    New York, NY

August 29, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  18. Joy - Dayton, OH

Finally, something to get really excited about! The thing I like the most is that she has not been tainted by the Washington scene. She is a breath of fresh air.
    I am getting a little tired of hearing about John McCain's health problems. Geesh, you make him sound like he shouldn't buy green bananas! Heaven forbid something happen to President McCain, she will be a better qualified president than Barack Obama.
    Please don't compare her to Hillary Clinton. It is uncanny how short our memories are of how corrupt the Clintons were. Sorry, Anderson.
    Also, I really am offended by the continued use of anti-abortion vs Pro Life. I wish John McCain and Sarah Palin the very best!!!!

August 29, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  19. Julie San Diego, CA

Nice.

Now playing in theaters, the sequal: Fargo 2 – Police Chief Marge Gunderson goes to the White House.

You guys earned your pay tonight. I didn't count one eyeroll.

Just when we think things can't get any sillier...

August 29, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  20. Jasmine

A Journalism major, beauty queen of a small town with 20 months as a Governor of a state with a population of a mid-sized city.......... Come on America. I don't care if she is a "Hockey Mom" or Mother Theresa, she is not qualified to be the Vice President of the United States of America. Sarah Palin, as a woman, I ask you to stick to your day job, develop your resume and creditials for the next 5-10 years (except for the oil drilling part) then run for, o I don't know, perhaps the Senate?

August 29, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  21. Bridgette O'Neil

As a woman and a Democrat, I am insulted and angered by John McCain’s VP pick of Sarah Palin.

The fact that he chose the VP primarily because she is a woman is an insult to my intelligence. The equal rights movement is based on the empowerment of women. An integral part of empowerment is the ability to think and act freely not as a monolithic group. Truly independent women will see through this façade and vote for a president/VP based on the issues and one’s governing ability.

I am a supporter of Barack Obama. I also recognize and admire Hillary Clinton’s contributions to the Democratic Party and to the Country. Her position on universal healthcare and women’s issues is unwavering. If it were not for Barack Obama running at this time, I most definitely would have supported Hillary Clinton-NOT because of her sex, but because of her stances on the issues and her ability to govern. It angers me that Hillary Clinton or someone of her caliber may not be the first female President, but instead someone who is a right-wing conservative who is riding the coattails (coffin) of an elder statesman and who doesn’t value the sanctity of choice, equality, human rights, environment etc may. For those Clinton supporters who are considering voting for McCain based on his VP pick, please consider that you are not only undermining women everywhere, but also you are also undermining Hillary Clinton and her message.

August 29, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  22. Annie Kate

I'm really disappointed McCain didn't go with Romney – hopefully Romney could have turned our economy around. Maybe Romney will get a cabinet post where he can help do that still....but to say I'm disappointed with McCain's choice doesn't even begin to describe it.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 29, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  23. Gilbert Moore

This is not the best way to sell Palin to HRC supporters it is manipulative, deceitful and insulting. Hilary got 18 million supporters because she is Hilary not because she is a woman. By the way, when I saw Palin today I thought I saw Britney spears’ “older sister”

August 29, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  24. Ann

HELLO PEOPLE:

Let us be REAL for one moment; By Picking the Gov. of Alaska for VP he single handedly set the womens rights movement back 40 years. This woman was NOT choosen for her credentials or even her experience. She has a BA in Communications-that is is and not even from an Ivy League school. In addition the only experience that she has comes from the most remote and disconnec ted; but pain sakingly beautiful state in America. Whose beauty and ecosystem will only be damaged when McCain (if elected) begins to drill off shore.

AND....I have yet to understand how people (especially McCain) can say that Obama cannot cross the aisle and be bi-partisan when he has crossed bigger social barriers to get where he is today......and lets talk about his experience....Bush is President and look what a long way experience brought his while running this country..to the worst it has been in over 60 years!

America is an awesome country but gone are the days that America has the luxury of acting and reacting to the rest of the World like we are the Big Brother and the only ticket in town...we need to work on ourselves at home and then we need to mend the broken relationships across the globe-I truely believe that McCain cannot accomplish this goal. War is not always the answer you cannot Bully respect out of the other nations...in my opinion McCain is still stuck in
    Wars f the past all be it-40+ years ago...I urge society to give Obama a chance-the GOP had theirs and destroyed it, it is time to TRY something new imagine what an impact that will have on the perception of America and lets not forget this man is extremely intelligent. To my GOP brothers and Sisters...if you truely put COUNTRY FIRST you will make the right decision for everyone involved put your arrogance aside adn really show the love that you have for this country.

ANN-40 yr old wht woman from GA.

I am a typical middle class citizen and I am PRO Obama!

August 29, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  25. Gilbert Moore

This is not the best way to sell Palin to HRC supporters it manipulative, deceitful and insulting, Hilary got 18 million supporters because she is Hilary not because she is a woman. By the way, when I saw Palin today I thought I saw Britney spears' "older sister"

August 29, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  26. betty

Being a woman from Peoria Illinois, I can guarantee McCain's tactic to woo women votes by putting a woman in the VP slot is the worst thing he could have done. He looks more pathetic now standing next to her. To assume that women wanted " a woman " no matter who on a ticket is ridiculous! I was a Hillary Clinton supporter and still am. But, I will be voting for Obama. I once thought McCain was courageous in speaking up against other Republicans. Now, I think he just followed the expedient path. I respect Obama for not choosing Hillary to get the women vote. He has more integrity! As usual Republicans are using the end to justify the means – the White House!

August 29, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  27. Mary Greene

Give me a break! John McCain just insulted and is probably saying Hilliary's supporters are stupid. As it once was said in a debate by Lloyd Bensen, "You are no Hilliary Clinton." Shame on you John McCain, you are 72, probably not in the best of health and you pick a soccer mom to run our country if something happens to you. These times are too perilous for you to select someone that you meet for one time which proved that you do have bad judgement when you could have picked, R. P. L. H.
    I am an Obama supporter from day 1, but to insult Hilliary's supporters is making me mad. I hope Hilliary's supporters have more sense than to fall for such a trick as this to get them to vote for John McSame.

August 29, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Will

I was both surprised and excited that John McCain chose Palin to be his running mate. People are always talking about McCain’s age but there’s nothing like having an attractive woman by your side to make people forget that. I think the Republican ticket has stolen the thunder away from the Democrats. And there’s the excitement of seeing history in the making as well.

Some say, she is not qualified to be a “heratbeat” away from no. 1. Well, I think she has a lot more experience than the guy who is running for no. 1, Obama. On CNN, someone commented that millions through the democratic process selected Obama to lead the Democrats while one person was responsible for selecting the VP candidate for the Republicans. So, now it’s no longer experience but popularity as qualification criteria? Make up your mind.

August 29, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Will

August 29, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Sharon from Michigan

I have long been a prolife advocate–albeit I think that means more than being against abortion. I have also been a volunteer worker with children with Down’s Syndrome. I cannot understand how a woman who just gave birth to a child with very special needs (and a very young daughter, Piper) could put a campaign for the Presidency above the needs that her children have. It is my understanding that her husband also has a career, and isn’t Mr. Mom. Do social conservatives and Evangelicals think this is a good thing??Many moms have to work, but it doesn’t appear that Palin is one of them. It is wonderful to have women shattering the glass ceiling, and making a national “splash”. I would rather Sarah Palin would do so AFTER she raises her youngest son and daughter.

August 29, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  31. elaine w

I was one of the women on the line, but I can tell you now that the line no longer exists. I think it is GREAT that women have been able to take such a part in history this year. But I am insulted that John McCain thinks that I would vote for him because has chosen a woman running mate. Clearly, he does not get it. These two women can not even be compared to each other in the political arena. Does he really think that we cast our votes just because she is a woman? I believe he thinks we are shallow. The dumb blonde joke went out with his Hilton-Spears ad. I just watched a moment in history that sickened me. This woman was clearly just a stepping stone for McCain. His respect for women is more obvious now than ever. He has impressed me less in the past 3 weeks than ever. I wanted to see 15 minutes of her blowing her horn not his. It truly became clear to me what her position is. Watch how he conducts himself with people. Very cold. No real warmth. I saw this with the young woman in Phoenix. A student with true excitement had the opportunity to introduce him at her school. When he walked out, I wanted to just reach out and bop him on the head. He gave her little to no acknowledgement of a thank you. (Oh by the way thank you) does not count. How can you tell us that you are interested in we the people when you treat them so coldly. P & VP are important to me. He has lost my vote. I think you will find we are way above you on the scale Mr. McCain. Oh yes by the way, I am not a feminist. I am a woman who is interested in the future of my children and my grandchildren and you never will get it. Long after this is over you will still be asking yourself what was it?

August 29, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  32. barb bear

Jessica nailed it, Alaska is the size of a medium sized town.
    This choice is indeed insulting to women, and she is being USED!
    Prayin needs to wake up and smell the coffee......she would be most powerless human being on earth, with the Rove-Cheneyites pulling
    the strings for 4 more years.

August 29, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  33. gonzalez

This speaks volume to John Mccain's lack of judgement and confusion of 21st century challenges we face. If the tactical reason is to lure the women vote, especially Hillary supporters, once the dust settles, women will be insulted and appalled. Second, when the hypes receeds , one fundamental question wil put the race in perspective: if by an unfortunate event Mccain is not able to serve, can you imagine Pulin taking over the enormous responsibility of the presidency or manning the red button? Mccain first executive decision and he batched it. Had Obama made collossal blunder, it would have sunk his candidacy.

August 29, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Demetria Nelson-McNaulty

Is John McCain serious, happy to be a democrat!

August 29, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  35. lucylle

i believe what Mccain is doing is stupid and insulting putting a woman whom nobady really know but that prove that Obama is ready for be our president ,because if the case that he does not have enought experience and judgment what says to put a woman much younger and without any experience out of alaska ,what Mccain did today show me so clear that we need something new ,fresh , no the same old politic ,they will do anything to be elected. so please go Obama

August 29, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  36. jean simeone

What a stupid choice. I am a female who would have voted for Hillary. After she lost, I was undecided on Obama and was considering to cast my vote for Mc Cain. After this stupid move, I made up my mind . I will vote for Obama.

By the way , I am an independent. How dare he think we women would vote for just any woman. Hillary was and is a brilliant and highly experience woman.
    Obama has a good chance of filling his term. Do we think McCain will? I was a PTA mom and a soccer, baseball and football mom. Can I be V.P. PLEASSSSE and possibly the President. Pretty Pleassse! Thanks John for making up my mind for me.

August 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  37. jivajen

Is this some kind of sick joke? A beauty queen hockey mom governing a tiny tiny state (come on people research the population of places she's served). The right-wing spinners are talking like she did real things in real places not who-ville in a tiny little snowflake.
    McCain is insulting us women in such an obvious way, I think we ladies should file a class action sexism law suit.!

August 29, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Marlene Nelson

What an insult for McCain to think that Hillary supporters voted for her merely because she's a woman. We supported Hillary based on her 35 years of consistent excellent public service, her character, admiration we have for the Clinton family, and the list continues. We like Hillary because she's pro-choice; because we see the passion in her regarding health care coverage for all. The fact that she's a woman is just a bonus. To think that McCain elected a female vp to attract Hillary's 18M supporters is a total insult to our political intelligence. I am one of Hillary's support who is deeply hurt because she was not selected VP and I am slow to come around and support my party. However, at the end of the day we are one democratic family.

August 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Bill

Liberals just crack me up.......

Scared to death; arn't you?

The Rep VP is more qualified than the Dem's Pres. candidate; don't blame you all from being afraid.

It is obvious that not only is CNN biased towards Democrats. Their viewers are too..so don't get to inside yourself thinking that everyone is against McCain/Palin. It's not the case.

Tune in to Fox news for a more balanced assesment than you are hearing on CNN.

You all should really try to look past that dem retoric. It's so condesending to people that can think for themselves.

McCain/Palin in 2008!!!!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Veronica Young

She may be a wonderful mother but we do not know anything about her. It is surprising to me that the Republicans have discussed the experience of Barack Obama, but we have seen him during a long campaign first to obtain the Democratic Nomination and we will see it during the rest of the campaign. Plus he has history as leader of the Harvard Law Review, working with people in Illinois and in the Congress as well as . But the point is this was a major point in the view of the Republicans and now it is acceptable because she has been governor for less than two years and a HOCKEY mom! It is just surprising to me how the Republicans change their views and no one calls them on their flip flops. This was THEIR concern and now it is no longer a concern? That is extremely surprising to me.

August 29, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Al

All I can do is shake my head in amazement and befuddlement. It is like the the cards have flipped. McCain, who has run as the "Security" candidate, has picked someone who has no experience in international policy. He has no backup. Obama has been criticized for his age and lack of experience. (She's younger) Obama found Biden, who fills the void in all of the things his opponents say are lacking and is available to give sound advice. Palin fills no void should McCain kick the bucket. If McCain thinks he will appeal to Hillary's supporters, he obviously still does not know Hillary's supporters. Palin will not appeal to them because she does not represent their agenda. Running a state with a huge land mass but a small population for about two years is not the same as running a country with billions. How many times has she been in the lower 48 other than going to college in Idaho and attending some govenors meetings? She's been to Iraq but has she ever spoken with other world leaders? Does she know anything about national security or intelligence? And what does she really know about the needs of the people of the south, the north, the east, or the west? In the cities and surburbs? I know I don't feel "secure" with this choice. In fact, I think I am insulted. I have to wonder if, after last night, McCain decided he wanted to vote for Obama too and did this to destroy his own campaign?

August 29, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Lori Sullivan

One thing came to mind when I first heard of Gov. Palin's nomination. Bush's unfulfilled desire to open the Alaskan Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling. Now I just heard on Anderson Cooper 360 that Bush supports McCain's choice for VP...Hmm? Does little Georgy have a new project he wants to start after he leaves the Oval Office?

What do you think about when you associate the words Alaska and the Republicans?

August 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Mike, NJ

The Maverick has struck. The truth is she is a briliant choice. A portion of Hillary Clinton's supporters were behind her because she is a woman. The may not have been the only reason, but it was the first one. Palin is a normal person. Regarding experience, no education is harsher than to be in the White House. No one has the experience to be President until a second term.

However, McCain just took his own primary argument off the table. He will have a hard time arguing the experience card, with Palin at his side. His words will call his own judgement into question. This is a good portion of his message.

August 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Perplexed! No outraged

I have been a card carrying Republican all my life. I just destroyed the card AND the check that McCain asked for by August 31. I am incredulous. What is he thinking? Where are his advisors? Does he really think that we going to fall for this? He himself just voted for Obama/Biden and so will a lot of us, I should think, who will be leaving the Party since the Party seems to be leaving us. A heatbeat away? Come on, Senator McCain, do you really think that we are going to fall for this? No way!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  45. RCT

Choosing this woman as v.p. nominee is like choosing a bus driver to pilot the space shuttle. She has no experience, education or intellectual ability even close to that needed to do the job. She is an amateur and a novice. Clearly the Republicans put winning the election before the national interest.

Don't believe the McCain campaign's story that this decision was made last week. It was made last night, after Obama's terrific speech. The campaign realized that it would not beat Obama on the experience issue alone, and made a desperate attempt to grab enough women's votes in PA, MI and OH to squeak by.

Shameful and frightening.

August 29, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  46. James Dylan

You can't find anyone farther outside Washington than Palin; geographically or ideologically. She is a reformer and just resolidified McCain as one. The courage McCain showed with this pick is just what this country needs. What did Obama do? He was forced to pick Biden despite the many negative things he said about Obama because of his lack of expirence. And I can't agree more with those who think this election is over and said so when Obama won the nomination. But look at it this way, we'll have a chance to vote for Clinton in 2012.

August 29, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  47. sarah, pa

Clinton has more experience than Palin and Obama combined. Experience argument needs to end. The ISSUES need to be front and center. Tell me something that Obama said last week that will make a difference?

Sarah

August 29, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  48. max

This is a political ploy that puts the spotlight on McCain's campaign. It's not taking in the consideration that this person could step into the Presidency and that's scary.

August 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  49. babs

I am appalled at this strange woman trying to take away Hillary's supporters. I was a Hillary supporter and I would never vote for a woman just because she IS a woman. Does McCain think we're weak imbeciles or what.

Do that man not realize that we have heads with brains in them. Do he really think we can be bought like a woman of the street? He needs to be taught a BIG lesson ladies, and I believe we can give it to him. All those for Hillary, let's give McCain and his "other" woman our butts to kiss.

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  50. John

I wasn't excited about the GOP race until now. Obama is running on change but the change he offers is a mystery, he has yet to define it. Sarah Palin has made a huge change in her home state and will bring that fight to national politics. So while Obama touts change, she has a proven record of change. Whats important about that is she didn't fight Democrats to bring about change, she went after her own party on behalf of the people of Alaska and we need that attitude in Washington. A proven record of fighting on behalf of the people regardless of party. Great choice John McCain, not on behalf of the Republican party but on behalf of the nation.

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |