August 29th, 2008

Meeting Sarah Palin – hockey mom

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/29/art.palin.hockey.jpg caption="Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin standing beside her husband, Todd Palin, in Anchorage, Alaska in October, 2006. "]

David Mattingly
CNN National Correspondent

My interview request with Governor Sarah Palin was last-minute. I had a day in Anchorage while en route home from a shoot in Prince William Sound and wanted to talk with the woman who seemed to be on most GOP short lists for VP. She managed to fit me into her schedule between the time she registered one of her children for school and the time she was due in the office.

She arrived wearing sunglasses and a windbreaker. She drove herself to the interview location in a black SUV. There was no police escort, driver or entourage. She described herself as a "hockey mom" and certainly looked the part.

This was in early August and Palin seemed to believe she was a long shot. She thought Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue would make a good choice, and wrote herself off as someone who was "not one of the movers and shakers in the Republican Party" that would normally be picked.

Looking back, that was probably the main reason Palin was selected. She is a politician with a reputation for reform that was built about as far outside the beltway as you can get.

Filed under: Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Anne C

Oh my gosh!
    I have been reading so many comments about Ms Palin written by people who do not know her or anything about her.
    Can we please just wait to get to know her and what she is all about before we say that she was a failure in her education and that she wrongly fired her briother-in-law and all the other things we do not have clear fact on just yet?
    As far as I'm concerned I did not know about Obama or Biden until the beginning of this years campaign.
    Let's try to be fair and speak first and get fact later.
    You might be a hypocrite if you do.

August 29, 2008 at 7:37 pm |
  2. Lucy

Wow, what a strange choice from McCain. I do feel that he is pandering and attempting to bring women into his camp. How strange that he would pass on Christy Todd Whitman or Candoliza Rice, two well know Republican woman with loads of executive experience.

Honestly, should something happen to McCain in office (like second term Reagan when he started showing signs of senility) How our country feel 'safe' with such an unproven person? The fact that she is a woman is totally overshadowed by the fact that she was chosen purely because she is a woman and not for her experience, reputation or ability. It is truly shocking how much Senator wants to win this election, not because he wants to serve our country, but because he believes its his last shot.

I really wanted a reason to vote for McCain and his choice for vice president (and his reason for doing it) has made my decision easy. Senator Obama and Senator Biden -you boys get my vote!!!!! I will gladly wait 8 years to vote for Senator Clinton for president.

August 29, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  3. Lisa Hemenway

I am still in a state of disbelief that McCain has chosen a woman govenor from Alaska for his VP. I am a Hillary supporter who is supporting Obama. I assume that McCain is trying to get the vote of the Hillary supporters that are still on the fence about Obama. It will not work! McCain is 72 years old and needed to choose a VP that is experienced to take over this country. He met this woman on one occasion and he cannot know her well enough to make this crucial decision. I really believe that McCain's decision will help the democratic ticket.

August 29, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  4. Laurie, Northern California

I agree with Jason M. This is just McCain's way of pandering for the Hillary Clinton supporters.

This woman has such little experience it is frightening. McCain is an old man and could die of melanoma or a stroke or many other things. He is not in good health. Just because his mother is still alive does not mean that he shares all her genes. His years of smoking could also cause him to have serious illnesses and even death.

Being a governor of a small state like Alaska does not give her the foreign experience she needs. At least Barack Obama chose someone with a lot of foreign policy experience. Joe Biden has far more experience than Gov. Palin.

She is a very beautiful woman and probably very intelligent but this is not a beauty contest this is a serious election with serious consequences. This is just a total joke on the part of McCain.

August 29, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  5. Judy, Pottstown, PA

When I first heard of who McCain picked I thought-who? Then I thought why? When I really started thinking about the why I started to get really mad. I am a 29 year old female, mother of 2, and I work as a full time scientist in the pharmaceutical business. So I'm a mother and a career woman-two things I have in common with his VP pick. Based on that does he really think I'm going to vote for her? I mean does he really think women are that mindless and that we'll just vote for a woman just for the sake of her gender alone? He must because I haven't read yet on what qualifies her as a VP. The last time I checked the VP would need to be ready at a moment's notice if something were to happen to the POTUS. She hardly seems to have any qualifications. All I have heard about her today is that she is a hockey mom with a lifetime membership to the NRA. Can she even name the head of state of Iraq, Iran, Russia, or Afghanistan?

August 29, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  6. LK

I asked a close friend of mine who is a native Alaskan on what his take on this since I never heard of Sarah Palin. In is own words, "she has been a good governor but im surprised cuz 3 years ago she was a hockey mom (no political experience) i dont know why they would choose here cuz she literally has zero experience. she is pretty good to natives , but terrible on environment issues and resource issues, . We really need our governor right now with big stuff going on here and she will be away on the campaign trail".
    If John Mccain thinks that Palin will take Hillary's female supporters, he doesn't realize that we are more intelligent than he thinks. If Mccain is voted as President and during his term he becomes unable to lead, can we as a nation trust that Palin will be capable of being our leader?

August 29, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  7. mekonnen

this is a shame for the republicans unexperianced?what was mccain had been saied for the past few months?very elementary tacktic to take clintons women vote.is this the best they can do?

August 29, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  8. Jan

Watching Sara Palin's acceptance was so unbelievable, surrealistic. It was like "Saturday Night Live" - live. It was like Tina Fey. accepting the nomination. Five children!! A baby!! How can any woman worth her 'salt' - accept this nomination?? What are her values?? I need to know!!

As a woman, I am insulted. There are VERY limited creditionals to back this up – especially highlighted with his – question over Obama's experience!

She is a heartbeat way – beside the oldest candidate ever!

This seals my decision on experience and McCain's judgement. This has become SCARY. McCain's judgement is erroneous on the War and now proven with this choice of a Woman as a mere puppet to attain votes. Maybe once he had good judgement, clearly he has lost it. He is out of touch.

August 29, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  9. Cher

I am tired of the political game and people chosing running mates or voting just because a person is of a certain race or gender.

What about electing someone to office who is best qualified to run this country?

August 29, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  10. Gdz

"That not [reform] we can believe in"

Republican Veepwatch: The "Grave" Reaches Out To The "Cradle"; John McCain Places Alaska Governor Sarah Palin A Heartbeat Away

And Alaskans, including myself, are just as stunned as most other Americans at this selection. I genuinely believed that what chances she actually ever had died with the onset of the scandal unleashed beginning with the firing of former Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. Then she compounded that error by hiring former Kenai Police Chief Chuck Kopp as Monegan's replacement without properly vetting him; he turned out to have had a past as a sexual harasser, and he also resigned, under fire.

And many Alaskans remain strongly critical of Sarah Palin's Alaska Gasline Inducement Act (AGIA) as well as her legislatively rubber-stamped decision to select Trans-Canada to build the pipeline, even though Trans-Canada, by their own admission, will not begin construction until 2015, AFTER their Canadian gas lines are built and AFTER the value of Alaskan gas is weakened by the expected flood of Canadian gas.

August 29, 2008 at 7:17 pm |
  11. Peter

What's up with all these people arguing that Palin being very light on experience is ok because she's only running for the VP spot? I think the VP candidate should be just as qualified for president as the Presidential candidate himself. That's why I'm happy that Obama chose Biden. If anything were to happen to Obama we will have a fantastic VP to accept his responsibilities.
    If McCain would win the election and his cancer comes back for a 4th time, or if his memory further deteriorates, or he simply dies of old age, this country would be deep in deep trouble if Palin had to take over. She was a mayor of a 6500 pop. town in Alaska just 20 months ago!

August 29, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  12. Uma, Liverpool, UK

People who are sore about Senator Clinton's having lost the nomination, are sore because an experienced, educated, long-term social-justice, civil-rights, education, and health-care activist, lost the nomination.

Alaskan 'soccer-mom' and Governor of a State with a miniscule population... who was TWO when Senator Clinton was finishing her BA from Wellesley College? LOL This silly girl (whose extremist Christian fundamentalist views, like McCain's, exceed Dubya Bush's) is simply funny! She started her political life by winning a beauty pageant in a town of 7000. Isn't that twee?

Thanks John, for trying too hard, to not be McSame, by tapping another white, old, man. You tried so much too hard, you've virtually gift-wrapped this election.

Barack Obama started his political life the way I did: by having an international background and upbringing, which OPENS a child's mind. He started by being brown in Hawaii, where there are so many races and shades of skin, that being biracial was no stigma. He did learn about the stigma... a bit late. I lived in NYC. I REMEMBER the Voting Rights Act of 1965 - though I am actually 4 months younger than Barack Obama. My parents followed the Civil Rights Movements, closely. Senator Bobby Kennedy was OUR Senator.

What early-life experience does Sarah Palin have, that was formative for her, as a person in the world? Nil, evidently. She actually SUPPORTS drilling for oil in the Alaskan Wilderness and Nature Preserve. She obviously missed the 'ecology' movement we had, on the Mainland, in the late '60s. Oh, right. She was also four.

Wow. A heartbeat away, huh? This girl (a pejorative term - to be clear - as I have been a feminist since I WAS a girl) and her 'experience' might appeal to those people whose imaginations do not extend to the possibility of John McCain actually dying in office!

Fortunately, even Republicans are not usually that stupid. Christian extremists, like ALL religious extremists, are stupid, by definition.

August 29, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  13. Libby

I think that choosing Sarah Palin seems to be a ridiculous decision. This is a decision of a gambler, not of a reasonable Presidantial candidate.

Her choice is an insult to Democrats and Hillary Clinton personally. Just because Mrs. palin is a female, does not mean that she is an equivalent of Hillary for Republicans. And that Hilalry's female voters will automatically vote for Palin.

This woman is strictly against any abortions (even resulting from rape), she is a disgrace to modern women. She does not make a good impression as a bad speaker. She has no political experience, and apparently had never traveled abroad.

August 29, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  14. WA

DAVID: Great Comments enjoyed.

Cindy: Maybe you could write a book on Bush and McCain's more human qualities, or maybe It Wasn't Their Fault Our Economy is Failing or the World Sees Us As Power Hungry Parasites! Sure either would be best sellers. Everyone loves Fiction!

August 29, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  15. carl

go obama go 2008

john mccain has lost his mind by picking her.

he will lose in nov for sure.

their's no way she could be president.
    john mccain is stupid.

all i can say is everybody better vote for obama / biden. 2008

August 29, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  16. carl

you got to be kiddding. what is he thinking,
    she can't be president. well he just lost the election.

mccain must have lost his mind. can't believe he picked her.

i know i want vote for him now,

he's stupid.

August 29, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  17. Greg H

How much is known on her views? I say provide Sarah Palin a chance and let her enlighten us as to her views. How much was known on Obama before he started running for President. If the selection was to solely obtain women voters then yes shame on the tactics of the Republican Party. How ever if it is to bring in change and outside source may be what is needed after 8 years of what America has been through. Is the theme for Obama change? if so McCain is differently thinking change.

August 29, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  18. Barbara

this just proves to me that McCain is not capable of running the country. He may want to hand over his kids future to someone with little exprience, but I'm not. We are living in dangerous times and with our economy like it is, you would think he would have the intelgence to get someone who would have experience to run the us and relate to the rest of the world. This was just a slap in my face and my intelgence. Heck she couldn't fill Hillarys shoes, and insulting her supporters like she did, using her words, hoping to sway them. Well she needs earn her way to the white house. She hasn't earned nothing. I thought about voting for McCain, but not anymore. Thank you McCain for proving to the world and to the republicans out in the world your chosing a real unexperinced running mate. Why don't you just say to the world here come and get it, US is here for the picking. GOOD SHOW McCain, But I'm not willing to waste my Vote, OBama is the man with real intelligence. McCain needs a straight Jacket.

August 29, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  19. Kelly

I'm so tired of working hard week after week, year after year and not getting anywhere-going backwards. I think starting from 'scratch' with leaders who REALLY want to help the american people is quite refreshing and I look forward to it. FINALLY! I think what really counts is their experience in walking in MY shoes. I can't wait to see what she accomplishes.

August 29, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  20. Steve - Hendersonville, NC

Mcain, your pick for VP is very strange, even for you. I feel it is an insult to Hilary for Sarah Palin to swoop in and take all the benifits of Hilarys hard work without having to pay any dues herself! And ask yourselves one question, if McCain died the first 6 months of his term, would you really want Gov. Palin in command of the free world, NOT ME !!

August 29, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  21. Speechless!

No one should be surprised that McCain picked this lady, I mean the standards for VP that the GOP picks isn't that high. Just look @ Dick!

August 29, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  22. jack of all

LET THE OFF SHORE DRILLING BEGIN!
    The only reason I can see that her choose Palin is that if he is elected, which now seems to be a long shot, that the oil drilling can begin in Alaskan protected land and offshore. Anyone else see this?

August 29, 2008 at 6:55 pm |
  23. jack of all

I’ve been saying all along. That if McCain were to choose a female as his running mate that it would have been someone more with more notoriety and more gualified, as if they don’t exist! Condi would have been a more reasonable choice….but she is one out of a dozen others he could have chosen. Instead he goes for the beauty queen! I can’t wait for the pictures to start surfacing of Palin in her tiara and bathing suit. It’s so over for the Republicans!

The only reason I can see that her choose Palin is that if he is elected, which now seems to be a long shot, that the oil drilling can begin in Alaskan protected land and offshore. Anyone see this?

August 29, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  24. Susan

David:

Everyone is entitled to their views on Governor Sarah Palin, but the personal attacks are not warranted. We seem to have lost our civility!!!!! You get what you give!!!!!!!

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

August 29, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  25. Jeff in Los Angeles

I am blown away from the comments I am reading. People have been bashing Obama for months that they don't know enough about him. A guy people have been getting to know for 19 months now on the campaign trail, yet after today's announcement, they are now all "definitely" going to vote for McCain because he chose her without knowing ANYTHING about her. Kay Bailey Hutchensen said today, she doesn't even know who she is.

I find it very hypocritical that all of a sudden, because McCain announces a woman on the ticket, that they will just immediately vote for her, again without even knowing ANYTHING about her, other than she is a woman and a Republican. Seems very shallow and hypocritical to me. Which is it, do you want to know more about the candidate as you've been stating for months or not? If so, you need to look at the person and her record before making a judgment.

Lets all hold our horses for a few weeks. Let the honeymoon period of excitement end for Palin, and then we can take a good look and see if we think she is qualified to be Vice President, and POSSIBLY President of the U.S. And don't think Hillary women are just going to vote McCain now because he has a woman on the ticket. Once people find out how anti-abortion she is, they will think twice about electing a woman who will overturn Roe v. Wade.

August 29, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  26. Mare M.

SHE IS A WOMAN MY AGE AND SHE HAS A FREAKIN BOUFFANT???? SHE'S NOT EVEN IN THE B-52s!!!! WHAT YEAR IS THIS? 1968?

Get that throwback to a bad day at the local diner out of my face, off my tv set, and to a hairdresser. PRONTO.

Seriously. That is just pathetic.

August 29, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  27. Jon B, Palm Springs California

Sad state of affairs.
    WE are all in TERRIBLE trouble when Grandpa forgets the most important house, the White House, and Ms. Runner Up thinks she's still the Mayor of Mooseville.
    Course the Republicans won't admit it's their fault we are all in this mess to begin with. 8 years of Mr. We're-Gonna-Get-Em has driven this country into the ground – and they still think Mr. McDumber is gonna fix it? WAKE UP Republicans and realize your judgement is flawed. Take your warmongering, lying, torturing, wiretapping ideals to a country where they will be embraced – Russia, and leave the rest of us to break the cycle of insanity; repeating the same behavior over and over and expecting different results.
    And BTW, Hillary Clinton she is NOT!

August 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  28. Ann Bauleke

Where is the outrage? McCain's pick is a mockery of the office and of American voters. It's got Rove all over it.

August 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  29. Emma

We are so concerned with experience all of a sudden. If Palin is not qualified to be VP, what makes Obama qualified to be President? Palin has two years of experience as Governor while Obama has two years of experience as a Senator. However, if you look at what she has done in her limited time in office, she has far more experience than Obama. I'm interested to see how the Obama campaign will attack this.

August 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  30. Daisy

It's 3am in the morning and the phone rings in the white house, America is being attacked, who are you going to trust to make the the right decision:

Sarah Palin, soccer mom

or

Joe Biden

August 29, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  31. suki

Governor of Alaska for 2 years and mayor of a town no one ever heard of – If this is the kind of judgement McCain brings to the table he is nuts – a trophy wife is one thing – she can't become President but as a woman I am insulted that he thinks he can pick a woman and we should embrace him for forward thinking – I have supported Obama since 2004 and now more than ever I know why

August 29, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  32. missy

McCain just handed the election over to Obama on a silver platter with his selection of Palin as a running mate. Bet she makes a mean chocolate chip cookie.

August 29, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  33. Peach

Choosing Palin is a insult to women in my view . Does McCain think we're stupid? She has very little political experience . Mayor of a small town with 6700 residents. And less than two years as governor. Who is McCain kidding? He is 72 years old and has had two major bouts with his health. Palin could be a heartbeat from the presidency.

And as a working woman who raised three kids I can say we can't do it all. I am highly offended that she would embark on a VP race which will take virtually 24/7 of her time leaving behind three young daughters and a newborn infant with downs syndrome.

This does not speak well for the family values of the Republicans

August 29, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  34. Mauri

To those Hillary supporters who defiantly say they will NOT support Sarah Palin on the McCain ticket, I say you are not in the majority. I, for one, will vote for McCain and "the other woman."

August 29, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  35. KJ Western, MA

Pandering sometimes works............ look at what happened at the DNC.

August 29, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  36. Pamela Biery

HEY CUTIE, COME STAND BY ME!

McCain’s selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate smacks of the worst kind of base reverse sexism—making a choice because of the convenient fact that she is a woman, perhaps able to inspire those disgruntled Hillary-ites, after spending most of the month seriously vetting several men for the job.

I hope women everywhere see this move for what it is—more of the same familiar manipulation and objectification that keeps women down.

Sorry Sarah, but I think you’re being used to portray McCain as something he isn’t.

August 29, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  37. Dennis

No posting of pro palin on here, only spiteful remarks are welcome.

This is cnn the home of the chicago news network

August 29, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  38. Jason M

Does anyone else see the selection of Sarah Palin as the absolute worst kind of pandering? If John McCain dies three days after taking office, which is possible at 72, this unknown, untested, and unqualified person would become president. Great, shes the Governor of Alaska. There are Mayor's of cities with more people than the entire state of Alaska that are more qualified to be the second highest ranking official in the US. I'm a lifelong Republican, but this is the end of the road. John McCain sounds like a smart alec old man half the time, and his time past him by in 2000. Picking a young woman as a running mate does not change the fact that our country is in deep trouble and faces serious problems. Obama inspires people. While short on experience, he does have the ability to make the people feel hope, and that my friends, is something in short supply these days.

August 29, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  39. KJ Western, MA

As a Hillary supporter, I think the pick of Gov. Palin was brilliant! I love what this woman stands for. She has more experience then the Dem. pick- Obama. It also shows how stupid it was for Obama not to pick Clinton as her VP pick. It is a choice that I am afraid (as an Independent voter) that will cost him the election.

I think either way the Obama party goes on this is tricky. If they are seen attacking her for being ill experienced. It makes them look stupid, as she has just as much if not more experience than Obama. (and she is a VP choice not a Presidental choice) They can not attack her as being young- as Obama is young. They can not attack her as a mother – as that will angry many Mothers through out the US.

August 29, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  40. Jodi Franks

An Insult to Clinton Supporters

McCain’s pick for Vice President is an obvious case of pandering to Hillary Clinton’s former supporters. Nice try. Luckily, I have faith that these intelligent women have the wisdom to see through McCain’s tactics and will not vote away the hard-fought gains that women have made simply to have a woman on the ticket. Palin does NOT support the right of a woman to have control over her own body, and both she and McCain would appoint Supreme Court justices who represent the radical right and would overturn Roe vs. Wade.

Palin, whose husband works for an oil company, still believes that we can drill our way out of our energy crisis. She wants to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling, despite the fact that it would devastate the habitat of many fragile Arctic species, despite the fact that sixty percent of the caribou-based diet of many indigenous groups comes from the wildlife that lives on ANWR, and despite the fact that the amount of oil in this National Wildlife Refuge is not large enough to have an affect on the global price of oil.

McCain’s choice of Palin proves that he does not respect the intelligence of Clinton’s supporters who will not accept a right-wing substitute, merely because she is a woman and completely negates McCain’s assertion that he is a friend of the environment. Furthermore, it shows that McCain is a reckless decision maker who is willing to put the nation at risk with a Vice President who has no knowledge of or experience in foreign policy simply in order to pander to a group of voters who will never vote for a man at the top of the ticket that has agreed with the failed policies of Bush and Cheney 90% of the time.

August 29, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  41. Chris

When Pat Buchanan was at his nastiest and most hateful, Ms. Palin SIGNED ON with his campaign - the fact that she had the chance to see what he stood for then, and said "That's for me!" should chill your bones.

August 29, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  42. Florida Daryl

This is just so corny...and stale.....

The Republicans are running their campaign like a huge corporation.
    There bottom line is votes- They don't care how, but the want them!

America– don't allow Republicans to use America's nature (freedom and equality) against us. They did the same thing with 9/11. America was fearful...and rightfully so...BUT Bush decided to capitalize on our fears instead of our strenght and ability to endure.

History was being made... not just because Hillary is a woman-or because Barrack is black. Wake up!!

America is making history because we are calling for ground shifting change-and louder than ever.

McCain just doesn't get it.... he just doesn't... realllyyyyy.
    He can't get it if he thinks America is going to fall for this one.

This wont work because America wont let it this time.

Eight is Enough- that's too long!
    Twelve is Irresponsible.

August 29, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  43. Eric Gibson

Sarah Palin looks like Karen Walker of Will & Grace and I suspect as effective should she be called upon to fill the presidential shoes.

McCain has HANDED the Democrats a win.

Thanks!

August 29, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  44. Mark

Palin has a lovely life and has done great work in Alaska. I cringe at this deliberate choice, using a young woman who has a child with DS – McCain is trying to sway the women of this country and get the empathy vote. It wreaks of desperation on the part of Republicans. Did you notice the "Country First" poster on the podium? Sounds a little like a reaction to the Dems Convention which made it about us – the people of America. McCain's whole campaign has just been reactive rather than proactive.

August 29, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  45. sharky

Give me a break hockey mom we dont need a beauty queen hockey mom to be vp of this country. We need solid leaders, i see nothing about her that shows me that. I would love to know why you CNN, a place i count on is not talking about the fact that she is under investigation for abuse of power. Let us wake up America.

August 29, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  46. Dixie Tienken

We of Lincoln County, Nevada think she 's great choice & a good balance for the McCain ticket. She's energetic, free thinking, young, smart, & not afraid to cut nonessential items from the budget. What more could we ask for & she's not afraid to be a Christian Lady.

August 29, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  47. L. E. Burnette

Why do supposedly unbiased reporters, such as Bash and Costello, describe Palin as "anti-abortion rights"? Whatever happened to the non-partisan terms "pro-choice" and "pro-life"? When the media insists on showing a liberal bias, they unite the right-wingers and alienate moderate Independents like myself.

August 29, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  48. Cindy

I think Palin was chosen because picking her would unite the Rep party since she has all of the conservative beliefs. And also because she isn't in the "in" crowd of Washington. She isn't afraid of taking them on either and has proven it by calling out corrupt people in her Alaskan government.

Cindy...Ga.

August 29, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  49. David

The John McCain selection of Sarah Palin for vice president is nothing short of a slap in the face to the Hillary Clinton supporters and Democratic Party. Voting for a woman for the sake of voting for a woman is insulting to everything Hillary Clinton stood for. Hillary Clinton ran for the democratic nominee for President on a legitimate claim to the head of the party. It just so happen, that Barack Obama won over her. Sarah Palin is no Hillary.
    By not selection Hillary Clinton as a running mate, Obama left the door open for her to run for President in 4 or 8 years depending on the out of this current election. This would have made her the 1st elected female to the White house. John McCain is trying to snatch history from the Democratic Party. In his mind, McCain thinks: History is History and there is no real reference of purpose behind it.
    Last night I watch real history being made when Barack Obama accepted his party’s nomination for the President of the United States. Because of the “shock and Awe” of his acceptance and the amount of people who traveled from far and wide, over 80,000 people came to listen, to see, to bare witness to History being made.
    Let’s purpose that Hillary won the nomination of her party, would John McCain tap Allen Keys for his VP to please Blacks in America? This is a clear example that John McCain does not get it.

In the words of my next President of the United States: ENOUGH!

August 29, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  50. WA

Whether she is a mover and shaker or a reformer I doubt will make any difference. She has little to her credit for the position of VP. And her friendly association to the absolute evil of society OIL and the knowledge that friendship with oil has given her cause to choose oil over the preservation of the Wastelands won't sit well with Republicans or Americans in general! But it comes as no surprise as isn't it just like McSame and Bush to make long lasting friendships with people who view Oil as an investment!

August 29, 2008 at 5:11 pm |