August 29th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor desk 08/29/08

Good evening folks, tonight marks the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Anderson reports live from NOLA, as residents prepare themselves for Hurricane Gustav. We'll track Gustav as NOLA and the nation remembers Hurricane Katrina three years later...

There's also a whirlwind in the political arena. Take a look at our evening buzz for a complete lineup of tonight's show... an in depth look at McCain's VP Pick, Alaska Governer Sarah Palin. Who is Sarah Palin? Our reporters will tell you what they learned tonight.

Let us know your thoughts.

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gene L

John McCain's $5M figure will stand up until he actually answers the question. McCain dodged the question. So much for straight talk. What does McCain think is rich versus middle class?

August 29, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Sherry FitzGibbon, North Carolina

As a Democrat who has backed Obama from the beginning this McCain choice makes me happy and terrified at the same time. What is McCain thinking? Hillary supporters are now going to be running over to the Obama Biden ticket. I just have to believe that the American people are smarter than McCain thinks.

August 29, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama's speech was good, but he'll never be able to deliver 10% of what he's promised.

August 29, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  4. eric Walker

John Mcain thinks the VP of the United States should be a two term mayor of a city the size of a NY City High School and a 500 day Governor of a state with the population of Charlotte, NC. Oh Yea, he's talked to her twice in the last 6 months. He's not a maverick he's got a touch of senile dementia

August 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, The pomp and circumstance may have been spectacular, but the speech left a lot to be desired.

August 29, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Dee Stevens

The McCain/Palin ticket will bring a good check and balance team. Love you reporting from New Orleans post Katrina. Pre-Gustav. I hope the storms won't be too strong. After a week of Hurricane Fay Fatigue in Florida the wet weather I wish would be passive.

August 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Nicole

As a woman I am insulted. As an American I am scared. As an Obama supporter I am delighted. This is not about Palin, this is about McCain and his jugdement or lack there of. He met her once or twice and she was not vetted. He only chose her to win. If winning was the only thing Obama cared about he would have chose Clinton. Obama is putting his country first.

August 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Julie -- Dem in Arkansas

After last night's acceptance speech, could it be that the McCain camp knows they're beat and are simply putting forward a new, fresh face for the future? If so, their irresponsibility to our nation knows no bounds.

August 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Mandy Lee

The Dems are united! All is right in the world. Regardless of who we wanted to win.. between Hillary and Barck we all want to win the White house!

August 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The Democrats may have been united at the DNC, but those at the convention center and in that stadium in Denver are not the entire country.

August 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Marci

Is McCain kidding. I understand trying to get the female vote, but I thought experience mattered! It is quite possible that his VP will be running the country, and honey, this ain't no soccer game!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Kathy

I think McCain is insane and this move just proves it. Does he really think Hillary supporters are going to drop the ideology she represented and vote for his ticket because he adds a woman? She has no fundamental similarity to Hillary except that they are women. It's insulting and further proof that Obama/Biden is the way to go in November.

August 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. lynn

Paolo: Believe me there is nothing in Palin's resume that will attract Obama's supporters!!! A VP pick has to be picked for other considerations than just giving you a bump in the polls.

August 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  14. missy

She is also under investigation (for the firing of a town official? did I get that right?) Was she not vetted?

August 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Ted Weiss

Enough with politics this weekend, your keeping up with Gustav, is fine. The big question we should be asking is: Is FEMA ready? prepared to move like lightning, fully facilitated, competently planned for the various potential outcomes of Gustav and/or the next weather
    catastrophy? Let's get some answers on tonight's 360.

August 29, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Heather

At this point I can say with total honesty that I do not feel like I'm being represented by anybody currently running. I'm not a Rep so McCain and his vp pick don't change how I feel.

August 29, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  17. Jacqueline, NY

I wonder if he is actually trying to lose by doing this. Maybe he, too has gotten cuaght up in the “DREAM” of possibilities and “CHANGE for a better way of life for all Americans and not some. Just maybe this John McCain’s way of subtly trying to lose without dropping out. May John McCain is secretly an Obamamanian like mikeself. LOL!

August 29, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

McCain is going at the womens vote from a different direction, that's all, also balancing the ticket in some ways. Alaska is a big state.

Have to say, I feel that the democratic party showed it's big heart at the convention. Kind of uplifting. This hand wringing about McCain's vp pick sort of a contrast.

August 29, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Brandon

I think when Biden and Palin debate Biden is just going to eat her alive.

August 29, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Katie, CA

I'm deeply concerned that McCain made a bet on our country with this selection and believes that we as former Hillary supporters are so ignorant that we would vote for a woman just because of gender and not on the issues. If you remember, Hillary said" did you vote just for me? or did you vote for me because of the issues?" Be careful, do your research, Obama Biden has more experience, credentials and more well rounded than McCain and Palin combined.

August 29, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Heather

I think this is McCain's way of trying to make history on his terms. I am a Hillary supporter,but I wasn't voting for her because she is a women but because I know her.The good and the bad. I know what to expect.

August 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Andria

I'd like to thank John McCain for handing over this election lock, stock and barrel. This was one of the most irresponsible decisions I've ever seen a Republican make. No wait, it's just like the last eight years.

Once again: John McCain - More of the same!!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Cheryl M

gotta disagree w/Amy Holmes assesment. where are those figures coming from? I'm a married women and I can't remember the last time I voted republican.

August 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Rudy

I agree with Michelle from CA...this has shown me that John McCain has shown poor judgment.

August 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  25. kim-chicago

I have lived through a lot of elections...and I am seriously in shock. Does John McCain think this is a joke? He doesn't even know her! What is wrong with him? I hope even republicans come to the realization that this guy is a loose cannon. I hope nobody goes easy on her because she is a woman...we need to find out who this woman is...no one went easy on Hillary Clinton!

Sorry Amy... I don't need the cute and folksy...I need to know this woman is capable leader in a scary world.

August 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Susan - Oklahoma

Behind closed doors, I wonder what the other Republican VP wantabees are thinking?

August 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Paul

McCain is obviously grasping for those middle ground voters and Hilary supporters. It seems like he was shooting for the shock value to get momentum for his campaign going into the GOP convention. It seems to be working as everyone is talking about how shocking the choice of Palin truly is, where as we have barely had time to take in Barack's speech. This I fear may be a stunt to get those votes just to get to Washington. He's just adding appeal. I am excited to see what she's got in the VP debate in October.
    Paul, Denver

August 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Kim D

2 meetings, are you kidding me. As a woman I am insulted and pissed off.

August 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Stephane, Seattle

A very sad day for GOP,,,,McCain really underestimate Americans women voters by thinking that they will just vote for somebody he just met once. You kind have to wonder how bad he would like to get this job...

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Ken in NC

McCain and his surrogates hit Obama hard claiming he does not have the experience to be President. Taking that into consideration Obama named a VP choice with a ton of world experience. Now here you have the conditions where a VP can give advice to the President but with McCain’s choice if anything happens to him she has no VP in place to give her that experience and knowledge she needs on day one. She would have to wing it and I do not like the idea of our country being run on a wing.

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Joanna Staino

Paul Begala is SOOO RIGHT!! This is not only scary it is petrifying to think that this woman could be president should McCain drop!!! What is he thinking?? Oh I forgot, he's not thinking! Does he think so little of women, that he actually believes he would receive their vote just because his VP choice is a woman?! I find that not only insulting, but ludicrous! I think McCain is in for a rude awakening...and what about her children? Who will be caring for her youngest while she's on the campaign trail???

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Lauren from Louisiana

It's funny....McCain gets knocked for trying to get Hillary's voters, but Obama doesn't receive any grief for picking Biden, who one could say is a strategy for trying to appeal to military with his son in Iraq. You can disagree, but that's the way I see it. Maybe McCain picking someone who describes herself as a "hockey mom" is just what this country needs because to me the government is way out of touch with the middle class. They have no idea how different policies affect the average person. Maybe a well qualified "hockey mom" will have the touch. I'm more comfortable with Palin being a heartbeat away than with Obama being the actual President!

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Judie

I wonder how many countries are laughing themselves silly over McCains vp pick. Does anyone think that this will improve the way we are viewed world wide. I certainly hope the USA is not judged by one old foolish mans choice. Shame on McCain.

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Allison

Why does anyone think that she has the credentials or the right to put her name anywhere near the list of great men that have occupied that office. It's an insult to this country and to the great men who founded it.

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Jacqueline, NY

So McCain really is the flip-flopper the Dems have been saying he is. No surprise there. Remember Senator, was Kerry's speech? The "old" McCain verses the "new" McCain

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  36. mark

How can Obama be quilfied to be a president with bo experiance and
    Gov.Palin not qulified even though she has more execitve experiace than all the men on the ticket

August 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  37. lynn

She only has 63 days to make her case. I am not a McCain supporter because I don't think he has the judgment or the temperment to be Commander in Chief and this proves it.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Mary

If you are a woman and feel so strongly about Hillary and so negative about Gov. Palin, you wouldn't have voted for Senator McCain anyway. I have a lot of respect for Senator Clinton, I was disappointed that she wasn't chosen as the VP. I have not make my choice yet and refuse to make it before I have all of the facts.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Sandra

I agree with everyone. This lady can't be compared to Hillary Clinton.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Elizabeth

I'm a woman and yes I am insulted.This is just pandering and anyone who can't see that is blind as a bad.She doesn't represent my values and McCain is just about winning which is what he said Obama was.This is pandering for votes and reckless.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Kathy

Thank you Senator McCain....what the democrats would not do, you have done. Governor Palin is an awesome choice.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Ingrid D, You have a good point. Maybe we should wait until we see a Biden/Palin debate before passing final judgement.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Diane Barker

I wonder if John McCain would have chosen Sarah to be his running mate if Obama chose Hilary as his VP. I doubt she would have been his choice and feel this is a game of checkers....your move, my move.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Christy Horne

It was obviously more important to him to energize his base rather than pickup moderate and Independent voters. I can't help but feel that the evangelical base of the Republican Party would have turned out to support McCain if only to prevent an Obama win. By choosing such an inexperienced running mate and particularly such a social conservative, McCain has left all of those moderate and independent voters out in the cold. I've been a McCain supporter for years, but I can't help feeling a little offended at this choice. Obama has my vote.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Tom

Selecting a woman who has goverened a population Half the size of Orlando, to possibly be the leader of the free world is insane. She's outside the beltway, and Mccain's out of his mind.

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Presley

Evening....
    Sarah Palin reminded of Tina Fey at first glance this morning.
    But, like many, I too am confused by this choice. And a co-worker from across the office said out loud "Who the hell is she?" and he is a die hard Republican, he was confused too. I do not know what to make of it.
    From what I have been hearing and reading all day, I'm still sort of "what the-?"

August 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Jackie

Now how would he know all that after only meeting her once! And plus she's under investigation for abuse of power just like Bush and his cronies! Please America this is a very dangerous choice! She may be a dynamite person but she's not ready!

August 29, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Stephanie

This young woman has a very young child with Down's Syndrome. How can she be a good and caring mother for her baby and be a heartbeat away from the Presidency at the same time. How could she even consider taking this on? It is totally ludicrous and a very bad move by McCain. I think that it is a disgrace to women. She is a mother!

August 29, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Peter

What does this say about McCain's beliefs? He has talked for months that he believes Sen Obama is not qualified enough to be president because of his lack of experience. His pick for VP reflects the fact that he does not actually believe that (and instead it's just him playing politics). What does this say about his other things he says he "believes" in? How many other things is he just playing politics with?

August 29, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  50. liz drady

I think John McCain actually wants to loose this race for President,
    he must feel that Obahma is the better choice, otherwise he would not choose in such an irresponsible way. God forbid that anything would happen to him, could I feel safe and trust that Ms Palin could run the country????!!!!!!
    This certainly is not the caliber and quality of Hillary Clinton. I am insulted as a women with a brain that this has become just a matter of women vs. men.

August 29, 2008 at 10:23 pm |