August 29th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor desk 08/29/08

Good evening folks, tonight marks the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Anderson reports live from NOLA, as residents prepare themselves for Hurricane Gustav. We'll track Gustav as NOLA and the nation remembers Hurricane Katrina three years later...

There's also a whirlwind in the political arena. Take a look at our evening buzz for a complete lineup of tonight's show... an in depth look at McCain's VP Pick, Alaska Governer Sarah Palin. Who is Sarah Palin? Our reporters will tell you what they learned tonight.

Let us know your thoughts.

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Susan

Paul Begala didn't want Obama, but "democracy" prevailed in allowing a guy without any experience to run at the top of the ticket?

I am one of the soccer moms both sides wanted – you what – this VP selection sold me.

McCain's senate record and Palin's gov record show me that do more than talk the talk like Obama/Biden – they WALK THE WALK. They are exactly what America needs right now.

August 29, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Gin

There is no way John McCain put "country first" with the choice of Sarah Palin as his VP! It is all about him, and politics. Karl Rove will use anyone in order to hang onto power! John McCain is his puppet!

August 29, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Richard

If Mr. Obama is correct that "change does not come from Washington but to Washington" then Ms. Palin is the only choice on either ticket who is not from Washington. By his own logic, it seems we should all vote Republican.

August 29, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

So what does Anderson think of Governor Palin? LOL

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Susan - Oklahoma

All McCain did with this choice is point up his age, his past cancer, and playing politics.

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Rene Rodriguez

If this is McCain idea of a rounded ticket, he is terrible mistaken. It is an insult to Hilary Clinton and to the american people that Palin can be position at the same level as Hilary. She is no Hilary and cannot even pretend that this woman is qualified to be commander in chief.

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Joe

I'm a conservative and I am torn. McCain threw a Hail Mary. He sure did shake it up. He was tied w/Obama. If he were 20 points down then throw a Hail Mary. But when the race is this close play it safe and go with Pawlenty or Romney. I like what I have learned about her but I question her age & qualifications.

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Shannon

Senator Obama has been vetted for the past 19 months by we the people and was elected into his position. Ms. Palin was not. As a Democrat, I am completely with Paul Begala I think this is the greatest choice McCain could have made!! I am thrilled. He made it that much easier for Obama to prove McCain has incredibly poor judgment.

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Leo

This is putting country first huh? This just shows he will do whatever it takes to win this election

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  10. inga

as a 68 year old women, I will not vote for mccain. putting a women on the ticket feels like he's conning me. I, like many tonight feel that the vp in this day and age should be ready to be president from day one. no on -site training.

August 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not crazy about McCain's choice of Palin in the VP spot, but I have more problems with Obama in the top spot.

August 29, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Ken in NC

You tell umm Susan – Oklahoma and Kim. I am insulted by his selection and I am not a woman. I saw it as a slap in the face of all the women who were supporters of HRC. To me it was sending the message "Come vote for me. I will PUT a woman on the ticket for your vote" That is insulting.

August 29, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Pat

I am a huge Hillary Clinton supporter and I can tell you I am not insulted by Gov. Palin's selection. I doubt that I will vote for McCain but I am not voting for Obama either. I am very proud to have a women in this presidential election. You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Lorna (NY)

Hi everyone!
    Simply because Obama didn't pick Sen. Clinton as a running mate this doesn't mean that McCain's choice will guarantee him those 18 million votes from Hillary's supporter - or rather those 13% (maybe 9%?) of Hillary's supporters who might not vote for Obama. What's more, McCain is losing the opportunity to go against Obama for his "lack of experience." Rather "irrisponsible," as Begala said. Not very well thought; predictable almost. What is his pretext going to be now that he's chosen a running mate with no experience whatsoever?!
    The next two months will be fun - filled with debates that run in circles.

August 29, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Claire

I was a Hillary supporter but it was because of her position on the issues so why would I vote for the McCain/Palin who's positions are the exact opposite? Just because she is a woman doesn't make me vote for her. Obama believes in what I do and I will vote for him because of that, not because he's black nor did I support Hillary because she was a woman.

August 29, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I am keeping an open mind. Everyone has the right to vote for the candidate of their choice. And we'll all do that in November. We don't know Palin enough to rip her to shreds.

August 29, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Neil

Crazy, what a day it has been in the politcal side of things, John McCain is nuts!

August 29, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Gail Young

Did anyone else notice that when McCain was announcing his v.p. choice, that he had to look down at and read her name? He apparently didn't know what it was and had to read it to remind himself. He just looks so old and forgetful.

August 29, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Christine

I like McCain's choice. As a democrate I will vote for McCain and Palin. I would rather take a chance on her maybe becoming president than Obama being president.

August 29, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Mary

I am surprised at everyone's reaction. Is it because she is not from Washington D.C.? Doesn't she deserve a closer look before everyone decides that she is not worthy? How can you say that she is not qualified after making the case that Senator Obama is?

August 29, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Sarah

Ken, I think McCain already handed Obama the election.

August 29, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Shannon

I think this is very insulting to the women in his party with experience. I saw Kay Bailey Hutchinson this morning at a loss for words to say one thing about this woman.

August 29, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Shelley

I agree with everyone. Gov of Alaska is the next Veep? NO WAY! This is crazy and I think McCain blew it. I am shocked. How does he plan to win the major states???

August 29, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Brandon

Paul Begala is right this is a poses a scary situation for all americans not just democrats. Mccain drops she is in charge...thats crazy

August 29, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Amy

I know McCain wanted to throw out something that would get people talking about the Republican parties but this move shows that McCain reacts and not thinks about the big decisions. What a sad move for the Republican party.

August 29, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Will in California

Now there is finally a person with governing experience on any ticket. A youthful, gun-toting, former beauty queen, and successful soccer mom-type who leads an entire state, not to mention being a conservative who believes in the core, wholesome values that has helped build America, yet still is tough enough to stand up against big government and special interest groups. Is she the modern-day Annie Oakley of government who, with Maverick McCain, will help reform the government and establish fiscal responsibility in the government finally?

August 29, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Hannah Storm

Paul Begala just hit the nail on the head.....this is almost petrifying

August 29, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Ken in NC

David Gergen knows his stuff. Hit the nail on the head. The "Pant Suits" will be insulted by McCains selection. McCain has taken the gamble of his lifetime. If it blows up in his face he will have handed the election to Obama without even a vote.

August 29, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  29. lynn

Instead of talking to pundits and surrogates who really know nothing about her, why don't you do as PBS did and interview Alaskan press and legislators who actually know her.

Comparing her to the Obama is ridiculous. He has been vetted for nineteen months by the voters and media and has received accalades from legislators that have actually worked with him.

Trying to tie her to Hillary because she is a woman is ludirous.

August 29, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  30. kim-chicago

I am one of those women who agree with the fact that I find this reckless and impulsive...typical McCain...

August 29, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Claire

Personally, to me, the experience thing doesn't bother me about Obama or Palin it's just McCain's hypocritical attitude about it.

August 29, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Susan - Oklahoma

As a Hillary Democrat, I am appalled if McCain thinks that by picking a woman I would be swayed to vote for the McCain/Palin ticket. I am not that shallow. I want qualified people, regardless of gender or color to lead this country.

I had not made my mind up about Obama, but I would sure as heck feel more comfortable with Binden as a heartbeat away from the presidency than with Palin a hearbeat away.

August 29, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Michelle, CA

She has experience in a state with a population that you can fit into Chicago at least three times. There were more people at that rally today, than the population of the town she was mayor of. At least Obama has more experience than that.

August 29, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Brandon

you should know and trust your running mate with all of your heart can you honestly say that you trust someone to run this country if youve met them once!

August 29, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Claire

Yes, Cindy, but McCain has been complaining about Obama's lack of experience since the beginning so why would he turn around and pick her? It doesn't show much judgement to me. How can you know if someone will do a good job if you've only met them once?

August 29, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  36. lynn

John McCain would rather win an election than put his Country First!!

August 29, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Shannon

Wow, McCain surprised me. This is a shocking indication of what he thinks would be a great step in if something happens to him?

August 29, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Ken in NC

I thought McCain scared me before today. Now I know he scares me. This man meets one time and is willing to entrust the nation to a person. I must say I would question that judgement. Not to take from his VP choice because I know nothing about her but I do question his judgement.

August 29, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Hannah Storm

dang scandal already and republicians want her to be VP

August 29, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Cindy

Well Obama has absolutely no experience and he is at the top of the ticket. So Obama supporters can't down Palin too much!

Cindy..Ga.

August 29, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Sarah

Hello everyone. I'm completely surprised by McCains vp pick. It seems like he picked her out of thin air.

August 29, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Michelle, CA

I totally question his judgement now. She seems like an awesome woman, but there were so many people more qualified!

August 29, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. EJ (USA)

John McCain is desperate with this pick. The other ones he had considered are far more experienced. What a dumb move – but that's good for us Obama supporters.

August 29, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Paul

Sure doesn't feel like 3 years ago...

On the Palin note: I totally agree with missy. This was a cheap shot to get some media attention.

August 29, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Hannah Storm

McCain absolutely stunned me today by his choice. I just can't believe he would practically hand the election over to Obama. McCain can never bring up experience again. Thank you for the present on your birthday McCain

August 29, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Brandon

I wanted to start by talking about Mccain's VP pick. This is a deliberate attempt by mccain to steal the Hillary supporters from the democrats and if this works it shows how uninformed American voters can be. We need to open our eyes and started voting for what represents our interests personally and politically. Look, I know a lot of people were looking forward to the first female president this election
    but you need to understand Mccain and Palin are Hillarys polar opposites and we need to start voting on the issues NOT for gender or race.

August 29, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. missy

I agree totally with Paul Begala – one has to seriously question McCain's judgement in selecting Palin after meeting her ONCE? He barely knows her!

August 29, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. JImmy in California

Good evening Anderson and all best bloggers. Lots to discuss tonight. Hope you can get it all in Anderson and make sure you get out of New Orleans before the storm makes its visit. Anderson how did you enjoy your DNC experience?

August 29, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Rhonda Ruffin

I think the process McCain went through to choose Palin as his running mate raises serious questions about how he would staff his administration. To select someone he only met in February and spoke to once since to possibly lead this nation is inconceivable. I've had more interviews than that for a lateral position in a company I've worked for over 29 years. This causes me to seriously question his character.

August 29, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Hannah Storm

wow I made it through live blog withdrawals......hello everyone

August 29, 2008 at 10:00 pm |