August 29th, 2008

Evening Buzz: McCain's Surprise Pick

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/08/29/palin.bio/art.palin.podium.gi.jpg caption="John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate came as a surprise."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight, we have new details on John McCain's running mate. Have you heard of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin before today?  When McCain announced his pick, he called her "the running mate who can best help me shake up Washington."

Our reporters have been digging deeper into Palin's past. We've got all the angles tonight on 360.

Here are the basics: Palin, 44, is a first-term governor. The surprise choice, described herself a bipartisan reformer and a fighter against corruption in her speech today in front of 15,000 supporters in Dayton, Ohio. "To have been chosen brings a great challenge that will demand the best that I have to give, and I promise nothing less," she said.

What do you think of McCain's pick? See what our reporters uncovered about Palin tonight on 360.

Tonight, we're also tracking Hurricane Gustav. Anderson will be reporting live from New Orleans, which could be right in the path of the storm. Today the city marked the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Anderson says the memories still burn along the Gulf coast. Three years later, is Nola ready for another hurricane?

Don't miss 360 starting at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Erdell Maurice

The difference is that we have almost two years to get to know obama and decide on the experience/ judgement question. See just dropped out of the sky yesterday.

August 29, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  2. Carlos Albornoz

I can't wait to see how Palin swallows Biden alive, a smart woman against and old rethoric, you have see nothing yet!

August 29, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  3. Reggie

My first impression when I learned of choice, around 11 a.m., is that she is his nurse. I kept reading to see if she had a nursing background. But as I learned more throughout the day I began to consider her a Hail Mary pick and somewhat of insult to women.
    This reminds me of when Republicans dispatched Alan Keyes to run against Barack Obama for his senate seat. Keyes only qualification were that he is black and a Republican. Keyes wasn't even a resident of Chicago
    But to McCain's credit thisdid steal some of Barack's thunder. Instead of talking about the speech we are talking about his pick.

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  4. jay-Illinois

When I woke up this morning and saw that McCain had picked this woman (I say woman because I can't remember name), I couldent help but smile. I was smiling because McCain has just handed Obama the win. If McCain would have picked Romney (I was almost positive that he would) I would have been worried that the race could have been close. Who is this woman? She seems like some television politician who, when faced with a difficult question, will start crying and run off the stage. Personally I hope Joe Biden rips her apart during a debate just like Obama will rip up McCain up when they have their first debate!

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  5. James W. Payne

Gov. Palin has more executive experience than Sen. Obama. Gov. Palin could handle any challenge she could face and I am a democrat.

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  6. kornelia new york

Mc Cain have age related dementia . Who will like to have president without experience with 5 children / read problems/ She clearly have postpartum depression .....living her children for politics!!!Down sydrome is 24 hour job that child needs mother ...she is pro life? what kind of life?

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  7. Jack South Lake Tahoe

It is sadly ironic, that we are in the middle of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. The result of complicated financial vehicles like auction bonds, derivatives that have exploded freezing credit markets in the U.S. and around the world. The values of American homes, stock markets are and will continue to decline until tough solutions are found.
    What do both political parties do? Senator Obama has zero experience in finance or private sector business. Senator McCain admits he doesn't really understand economics and he chooses a running mate that 2 years ago was the major of a small Alaskan village.
    Don't kid yourself. No matter who wins, we are doomed.

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  8. jeff layton

My view is that moderate MALE voters, like myself, who may have considered voting for a McCain/Romney or other ticket that might have represented something in the way of reasserting america's image around the world will instead stray away from the funny talking Alaskan lady who presides over a State that has nothing to do with reality in the lower 48.

She is John McCain's version of Harriet Miers–she's some version of a "maverick," but in the final analysis she's SIMPLY NOT QUALIFIED TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Obama's experience might have been a close call, but Palin's choice by Obama's loudest critic who INITIATED THE QUALIFICATIONS DEBATE, proves McCain is turning his back on this Country.

McCain is the OLDEST to ever run, and she's the LEAST QUALIED since Agnew. When you add that up, it simply doesn't compute.

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Mark

Anderson,

McCain has mad the biggest mistake in his selection for VP. I would like to know how she would handle Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Kim Il Sung.

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  10. Crystal

I live in Wasilla, Alaska and I graduated from the same high school as Palin. You all may not know her and may not know alot about her but she is the most amazing woman you will ever meet. She has done alot for the state of Alaska and I know she will do so much more for the United States. We are in good hands with Palin in the White House, when she makes it there. She is straight forward and not a coward. I hope that you all learn to embrace and love her just as much as the State of Alaska does. We are behind her 100%.

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  11. Angela Burton

I am thrilled with McCain's choice for V.P. I was not going to vote for him, but I was not going to vote for Obama either. Now I will vote for McCain. I did not like Obama's acceptance speech, sounded like the professional politico's big give-away, solving everyone's problems like some magician with no knowledge of what he says. "I am my brother's keeper?" I think not. I live in America, not a Communist country. Now, I feel I really have a choice. This woman Palin is sharp, experienced as an executive leader, and absolutely HATES corrupt politicians, which is going to endear her to the hearts of women everywhere who have had to watch the corruption and graft of an unconscionable political agenda on the part of our current president and congress. She is going to be a winner, and she will help McCain win. I despise George W. Bush and everything he and Cheney stand for, but I think this woman, will guide McCain, and I think that's why he chose her, because she can advise him in areas where he needs her, and can help him stand up against the status quo created by the current administration.

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  12. Brenda Long

If John Mccain , thinks picking a young, goodlooking, woman VP , with no experience is going to change , my mind , a Hillary supporter, he is wrong, kind of scary to think he is old and anything could happen and leave her in chare, NO way , No how ,No Mcain , I wanted Hillary, but I now back Obama . As Obama said in his brilliant speech . Enough ! All anyone has to ask theirselves am I better off now than I was 8 years ago and will I be better off with John Mccain , No way , no how no Mccain ! and no palin !

August 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm |