August 29th, 2008

Alaska Gov. Palin is McCain's VP pick

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/29/art.palin.jpg]

Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House, CNN has learned. The 44-year-old Palin, now in her first term as governor, is a pioneering figure in Alaska, the first woman and the youngest person to hold the state's top political job.

Developing story...

Filed under: John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. Will

Biden needs to be careful when he debates Gov. Sarah Palin. How may arguements have you ever won against a woman. Most women are better orators than men and this is coming from a very experienced man.

August 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  2. Christine Nyholm

Obama may be the world's most intelligent man, but McCain is the definitely the smartest. Obama made a rookie error by snubbing Hillary Clinton and now is is having trouble bringing her supporters to his camp. McCain probably never really considered Mitt Romney seriously for the VP post, but he fooled everyone into thinking he did. This kept Romney's criticism of McCain out of the public discourse. McCain is going after Hillary supporters bigtime and naming a woman VP was a shrewd move in getting the vote of some of these mostly middle-aged women who feel disenfranchised by Obama. Given the present circumstances, I think Obama should have a double-digit lead over McCain but because he acted so small in the eyes of Hillary supporters, he'll be lucky to win this election at all.

August 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  3. Mia

So, Sara, how does it feel to be played? Who are you? We know that you are a woman but you are no Hilarly Clinton. Do you not know that you are just another one of John McCain's gimmicks to get into the White House. You are just being used, I am too a woman and a mother of 6. I do not like being used and I would not subject my children to being used in the way McCain is using you and your family, but maybe you do. Maybe you see this as a way to be apart of American history and that is okay to be important.

Just as Obama said, "I see" and so does all America. John McCain's repeated words of Obama who McCain said is inexperienced and that America needs someone that is experienced and you have less experienced than Obama. I find this be very contradicting of John McCain, slithering like a snake to pick a woman as his vice president to get voters to vote for him.

This is another one of McCain's untruthful tactics. Now I really don't trust him and I don't trust you. Alaska, hmm... so what policy did you endorse here other than Alaska. If women vote for you, it will only be because you are a female, not as a woman running for vice president that is taken seriously. You are a quick fix, not a long-term fix!

Hilarly was different and unique, we know her and love her, we know nothing about you and America does not have time to wait in getting to know you. The presidential elections is just around the corner and John McCain has ran out of time. Furthermore, Alaska is Alaska not Washingston, you may have proved yourself in Alaska but you are far from proving yourself to the American people of the United States.

August 29, 2008 at 12:12 pm |
  4. Angel

I aint feeling this duo at all.

She sure is pretty though. And a family woman at that.

Do we really want her as VP in the event that McCain kicks the bucket?

August 29, 2008 at 12:12 pm |
  5. Jack - Bali, Indonesia

I have just one question for Sarah Palin: "How do you spell potato"?

August 29, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  6. Alex

This is an insult to Hillary supporters in the fact that John McCain thinks we were just attracted to GENDER rather than the substance and issues that Hillary stand for. It was not that Hillary is a WOMAN that attracted her supporters, it was her knowledge and experience in Washington. To suggest that Palin is a Hillary alternative is simply INSULTING to the intelligence of women and Democrats!

August 29, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  7. kim-chicago

Typical Impulsive John McCain...This isn't out of the box...it is reckless.
    Can she really handle the likes of Ahmadinejad? This woman is no Hillary Clinton. But maybe the big oil companies are looking forward to drilling in Alaska. As much as I disagree with Mitt Romney I would feel much more secure with him in the second slot considering John McCain is 72....

August 29, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  8. Judi Smith

I am an ex-Hillary supporter who will still vote for John McCain even though I think his choice of a V.P. is very wrong! Who the heck is this Sarah Pulin? And where is Alaska? I simply can not vote for B.O. so I have to vote for John McCain unhappily. I think that this choice has very much to do with getting back at the Clintons and B.O. because Hillary will not go down in History as becomming the first woman V.P. I also have to wonder if this fact will tear apart the new found relationship between the Clintons and BO.? Sincerely, Judi Smith from Warren, Michigan

August 29, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  9. John

Anderson,
    I have watched yours and CNN's coverage of the DNC the entire week. Despite what I perceive as a general sympathy to the Democratic side of the arguments, the CNN team framed topics as journalists of profesionallsim, highlighting both sides of the story. Not so this a.m. as CNN covers the announcement of Sarah Palin as McCain's VP running mate. Please get in there and get some balance to the tonality of the coverage! Thanks for the professionalism your DNC team brought to the equation.

August 29, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  10. Will

Everyone is shuttering that someone not from Washington is nominated for VP. Being that what most people still consider the frontier, She probably has more common sense than everyone in Washington combined. It takes common sense to lead and I'd trust her to lead over most people in Washington.

August 29, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  11. Betsy Novack

I am a disappointed Hillary supporter, leaning now towards Obama, and yet willing to listen to McCain before finally deciding.However, with his choice today of his V.P. I won't even consider watching the Rep. Convention! What an insult to all women in this country. Does the Rep. party think that Hillary supporters are uneducated or what? Yes, some Hillary supporters were of the notion that because she is a woman we'll vote for her. The majority of women were voting for Hillary because she is a brilliant woman who was ready to lead.
    What is this? A bait and hook women just to get McCain elected? No way, no how, no McCain!

August 29, 2008 at 12:01 pm |
  12. Victoria

Oh my! ......... There goes McCain's experience argument.

August 29, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  13. Zachary

As a democrat I am thrilled with John McSame's pick. So much for balancing his ticket and finding a VP with economic, foreign affairs or any type of experience. The republicans are now left with a candidate the party is still unsure of a vice president no one has heard of. This should do wonders for the conservative talk show host, sounds like the other party now has Unity and Experience issues. Thanks John for being the Maverick and dealing this election to our man.

August 29, 2008 at 11:56 am |
  14. don brown

Palin - MIchael Palin - no - Sarah Palin - now that's funny.

Don Brown
    Fordyce, Ark

August 29, 2008 at 11:54 am |
  15. Sista Tabia

The nomination of Ms.Sarah into international politics is a disgrace to America. I believe her priority must be to attend to her sickly child. Nor, is she in a position of educational knowledge, experience nor political wits to take over as the President of the United States. Just because she has a pretty face, and a female Governor of "Alaska", does McCain really think he could send her tino an Islamic country or Communist nation to represent and negotiate the democracties of America? Does he really think she can receive a braindump in two months on the multiplicities on homeland issues? Clearly, this is another attempt to mislead the Americans and this is a public reminder that "eight is enough!"

August 29, 2008 at 11:52 am |
  16. don brown

Anderson:

McCain's pick - trendy, very trendy.

Don Brown
    Fordyce, Ark

August 29, 2008 at 11:52 am |
  17. Paula Bowers

Well have been a backer of Hillary all the way. Was waiting to see who McCain picked for VP. Does he really think just because its a wo
    man that is going to get my vote. Please, didn't want Hillary just because she is a woman. As a nurse McCain's age and health has always been a big concern to me. I just can not believe this short term woman governor will be ready to lead this country if she needs to step into the role. I will be voting for Obama in Nov. I can't believe I have changed my mind again. It will be the last time.

August 29, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  18. Frieda

Now we have a "CHANGE" we can believe in. Obama talks the talk and McCain walks the walk.

wow!

August 29, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  19. John

WOW, a women for VP. This is historical. The war hero and the working mom. Both hero's. Isn't that great?

August 29, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  20. don brown

Anderson:

If Hillary's constituency was mostly pirates and not women - would McCain have picked Johnny Depp - have him campaign as Cap'n Sparrow –Pirates of the Caribbean

Don Brown
    Fordyce, Arkansas

August 29, 2008 at 11:47 am |
  21. Mario

This a slam on the face of PALIN. McSame use her for his own purposes. Laughing at wamen will turn against him .He never check her legal record about an investigation against her before he picked her what kinf of judgement is .. No McSame

August 29, 2008 at 11:44 am |
  22. Teri, Arkansas

Now the Republicans, can't say Obama is to young to be in office....I think this was just a way to try to get the votes of the women that were hoping for a women in office. Myself, I was a little dissappointed Obama didn't pick Hillary. But, I think Obama is what we NEED.

August 29, 2008 at 11:42 am |
  23. Frank, Quebec

Oh man! I am laughing so much right now it hurts. John McCain as been saying that Obama was too young and did not have enough experience and he picks up some noname 2 years governor girl. The choice of a running mate was the most important choice he had to make and he blew it completely, thus showing his lack of judgement.

Considering his age and health, the chances that John McCain would not finish his first term are astronomical, which means that a virtually unknown hockey girl would be propelled to lead the US and make it safe. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

It is evident that Joe Biden would be able to take Obama's place if something happens to him but that little girl would never ever be ready to lead the US. It's just like if he would have gone to take any women on the street to be his running mate. I am glad he made such a stupid choice. Hillary fans won't buy into this, John McCain is totally toasted now.

August 29, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  24. Hugh Andrew

Being somewhat of a political addict in Canada, when a political party in Canada is doing so badly that they think they will lose an election, they bring in a token candidate, – crudely an expendable that will leave preferred candidates protected for the following election.

Is there something devious going on in the Republican Party?

August 29, 2008 at 11:40 am |
  25. Lynn

I think in Sarah Palin we are seeing an example of the Peter Principle, "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence" from Laurence Peters 1968 book, The Peter Principle.

August 29, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  26. carol

It's a girl! We might have the first female president in a few years after all!

August 29, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  27. KJ

Great Job!!! I think this was a great and smart move for McCain. I know as a working mother, I respect and love what Gov. Palin stands for.

I think some will try to make something of the fact of her experience- however, I think that would backfire greatly upon Obama. There has always been the question of his experience and he is running for President verse her as VP.

Personal note to the Newscasters on CNN right now- how dare you indicate she is incapable of being the VP choice because she has a child diagnosed with downs. That she may not be able to give the time to this child that she needs? Would you ask the same question is she was a man? No, you would not! Shame on you for such a male dominated view point!

August 29, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  28. Judy in AZ

Can we say "token"? Choosing a novice female politican, former beauty quenn no less, is actually not surprising for McCain, who had not one but two beauty queen wives. The value of eye candy has never been lost on McCain. But seriously, this is simply a ploy that shows McCain's sad desire to win no matter what and no matter that given his age, the VP choice should have been taken even more seriously on the preparedness issue that a guy running who is not 72 with a cancer history. I can't even believe that the McCain of 2008 is even related to the McCain that I supported in 2000 in his bid to challenge Bush for the Republican nomination. She's probably just a nice, decent lady who frankly cannot see that her presence is nothing more than token. How sad.

Finally, already pundits are asking if Biden can be the same in the debates with Palin as he would have been with male VP noms? C'mon, pluh-eeeese, if Palin can't take the heat in a pre-election VP debate, how on earth will she handle heads of state, countries that don't like us, or McCain's temper or Washington DC itself? Are we saying that Biden needs to be nicer because she is a woman???? That question alone begs the question, have we "come a long baby" or not?

August 29, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  29. Hannah Storm

Sorry to the people of Alaska, but WHO?????????

McCain just gave this election to Obama.....THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Biden is going to destroy her in the debate. Should be fun 😛

August 29, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  30. Jerry from Shreveport, LA

I believe that John McCain unadmittedly agrees with many of Barack Obama's ideas for change. John McCain's choice of Gov. Palin is a clear personal decision to willfully yet gracefully lose this presidential race. There are approx. 60 days to election day and McCain knows that there is no way that America will be confident enough to vote for this lady within 60 days. Good way to bow out gracefully McCain.
    Thank You.

Jerry
    Shreveport, LA

August 29, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  31. Debbie

Are you kidding me???? Does McCain think that women are so stupid that they will vote for him just because he chose a woman as VP??? We are not so shallow and baseless to vote for ANY woman JUST BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN!!! We vote for a PERSON who may have to step into the shoes of the President.

This is so transparent that I'm almost dancing with joy to see again how much McCain's judgement is so flawed...

August 29, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  32. ks

Mcsame mccain is more stupid than I thought!! He picked a woman no one has ever heard of?? Good for him!!! He ist 73 years old....should this 44 year old woman from Alaska be president if something was to happen?? Go OBAMA 08

August 29, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  33. Robert O'Dor

Doesn't this take the "not qualified to be president" off the table for McCain?? She has been governor for less than 2 years, her experience before that ....... mayor of a city with a total population of 8,400 people...... are you kidding me?? The entire state of Alaska has less than 700,000 people...... Just the City of Chicago has over 2 millon people !
    This is so obvious, he picked her for one reason and one reason only, to try to make a home for the upset Hillary voters......well its not going to work. She's a life long member of the NRA, shes pro-life, not going to happen!!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN for PRESIDENT!

August 29, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  34. saleem chaudhary

Obama is inexperienced; however, Palin is ready to be the President if an emergency arises. Fascinating!

August 29, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  35. Del Watson

After continuously berating Barack Obama about a lack of experience to be president, how will the Republican party and/or John McCain justify this VP pick...one 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency?

August 29, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  36. WA

Sarah Who? In the realm of excitement I don't think McSame hit a home run with Sarah! But on the bright side, his pick for VP doesn't light a candle next to Biden! Another notch in Obama's belt! Then who did Mcsame have to pick from that would have brought excitement? No one. It looks McSame is trying to loose to me! And he's doing a pretty good job! She must be the only one that was on the right side of the Abortion issue! Ha

August 29, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  37. Toni Egan

What is John McCain thinking? Who is this woman? People need to realize that McCain is getting up in years..does this woman have what it takes to run the country should anything happen to McCain. I don't believe his strategy will work choosing a woman for VP as she's no Hillary Clinton..After watching Obama's speech, he now has my vote. I only wish Hillary Clinton was his VP choice, but I do like Joe Biden!!

August 29, 2008 at 11:15 am |
  38. Gary Chandler in Canada

Google – Palin + Scandal (Investigates self!?)
    I guess McCain's vetting team did not.
    Jay Ramras (chair of the House Judiciary Committee, Alaska:

“I think it is harmful to the credibility of the administration, harmful to the process and harmful to all the parties involved. It’s just the worst possible thing to be doing.”

John Cyr, executive director of the troopers union:

“It’s an abuse of her office” for Palin to involve the attorney general.

Legislators and Alaska citizens who have an ounce of common sense:

“Ummm. Witness intimidation? Witness tampering? Misuse of the Attorney General? Misuse of state resources? Are you kidding me???”

August 29, 2008 at 11:13 am |
  39. F.Shaw

Ok...I honestly do not think he could have found anyone less qualified for the VP job. I am a mom of five, but that does not qualify me to run the country. MC Cain is OLD, there is some chance that the VP will need to take over at some point. She even said in June on Glen Beck that she was not interested in going to Washington. I am all for a woman canidate, but she is not qualified. Thats all there is to it.

August 29, 2008 at 11:13 am |
  40. Mike

If Obama had picked Hillary John McCain would not have chosen Sarah Palin. This pick was not based on who would be the best VP or President but who could deliver the female vote

August 29, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  41. Tracey M.

Mccain made a the choice Obama wasn't "Big Enough" to make!

I was so disapointed in Obama for not choosing Hillary Clinton who had earned the Job. As Obama had said during his speech " [his]Grandmother was passed over because she was a woman".

Obama had the chance to make it right for his Grandmother, his Daughters and for all Women – Obama choose NOT TO make it right...

Good going Mccain!

You just won my vote!

August 29, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  42. Neil

I have seen political moves and then there is this one. Obama doesnt pick Hillary so McCain picks a woman, very smart on his part, almost believable. This doesnt worry me though, no one really cares who he chose.

August 29, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  43. Annie Kate

From an environmental and wildlife perspective Sarah Palin is probably the worst person McCain could pick. She is always on the side of business development and drilling in the Arctic National Reserve as well as routinely authorizing aerial hunting trips for people to hunt down the Alaska wolf and kill them from the air.

Picking Palin doesn't get McCain points for having a woman on his ticket – but it certainly shows his lack of committment to seriously dealing with our energy and climate change issues – he uses the same "OLD" answers – drill more and use coal. I guess when you get to his stage of life you don't worry about what something will do to degrade the environment for the future because you probably won't be around to notice.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 29, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  44. Lauren Johnson

I don't understand how McCain, constantly raves through the media about how Obama is "too inexperienced", and then goes and appointments Palin as his V.P. (someone who obviously has even less "experience" than Obama). His attempt to win over women voters by appointing a woman vice president is not going to over-rule the fact that McCain does NOT support the right for women to have equal pay. Someone needs to tell him to get with the program. It's one mistake after another

August 29, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  45. Lacy

I am very puzzled at why the Republicans picked this Govenor for the Vice Presidential nominee. It is not that she may not be qualified for the job but she is truly an unkown person.

Futhermore this only plays right into the Democratic complaints and allegations that the Repulicans are for oil companies. Sarah Palin's husband, Todd, works for BP at an oil field on the North Slope.

Well I sure hope that Govenor Palin is ready for the same treatment that they have given the Obama family.

August 29, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  46. Bryan Wells

Big Oil strikes again!

August 29, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  47. Gary Chandler in Canada

Everybody else said NO to him.
    Now to see if Lamebox approves.

August 29, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  48. Cindy

Well I guess McCain isn't afraid of a woman in power like another candidate!!

Cindy...Ga.

August 29, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  49. Joshua

John McCain believes a first term governor has enough experience to run a country really! Baracks inexperienced? Are the Republicans hearing themselves right now that’s a good choice for America if something happens to McCain Obama ticket has more combined experienced than the McCain ticket 28 years experience vs. nearly 45 years experience I think the democratic ticket has experience in the bag

August 29, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  50. Marta Niconchuk

As a woman I feel insulted by Mc Cain. How dare he believe that woman will vote for a woman just based on gender and not experience. Hillary is a woman but also hes a resume for the job. Woman were voting for her not because she is a woman but because of her intelligence and experience.

August 29, 2008 at 10:57 am |