August 29th, 2008

Alaska Gov. Palin is McCain's VP pick

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/29/art.palin.jpg]

Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House, CNN has learned. The 44-year-old Palin, now in her first term as governor, is a pioneering figure in Alaska, the first woman and the youngest person to hold the state's top political job.

Developing story...

Filed under: John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. Judy Reynolds

YOu have got to be kidding me. The only thing Palin and Clinton
    share is their gender. To expect the folks who voted for Clinton to vote for Palin is unbelievably insulting.
    And how utterly selfish of John McCain to put this utterly inexeprienced
    woman just a moment away from the White House....it is appalling.
    Any respect I retained for John McCain has completely evaporated.

August 29, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  2. Natasha

Humm...was it not throughout the past 19 weeks that McCain has spouted that Barack Obama does not have an experience to be commander-in-chief, the president of the United States of America?!?! Well I think justice has been served and McCain has shown his true judgment. Thank God he did now, explicitly showing America that he himself is incompetent for the highest and most important seat in our government. I had no intention of voting for McCain this November, but his lack of long term thought and choice of vice president has simply added the cherry on top. There is no doubt whom the American public will chose now, the only candidate able to lead our nation into the future, to give us change, and restore our hope; the candidate who will get us out of Iraq and bring our boys back home. We do not want 4 more years of the past 8 years. See what is going on and so, when November comes, VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA!!!

August 29, 2008 at 9:05 pm |
  3. Shadiya

As a woman I am insulted. As an American I am ashamed. To compare Palin to Hillary is appalling. Palin, a former sportscaster, with a communications degree, who is abusing her power in Alaska to settle a family grudge will not do it for me. Republicans are reaching.....and assuming. Can you say desperate?

August 29, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  4. Shaune

This is beyond insulting. For McCain to think women will vote for her just because she is a woman is ridiculous. That's just like saying all black people vote for black people – or all latinos will only vote for latinos. This is typical of a party so out of touch with America as it is today – this is no longer the America of the few. I plan to watch thier convention with friends like we do each go round to count the number of minorities and young people that are staged in the audience to "create the illusion of diversity". McCain's wife would have been a better pick – obviously not the first one – the one he cheated on his first wife with and left her for – oh yeah Cindy – that's her name.

August 29, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  5. Toni from PA

If there were to be a woman VP is should have been Hillary Clinton. This woman, Ms. Palin has 5 children and she's going to leave them??? I stayed at home to watch my children until they were old enough before I went back to work. What if this baby gets sick and she's in another country? Be a mother FIRST. There are already too many latch-key children in this country..also, watch out..she's also into guns!!!! Go Obama! You now have my VOTE for sure.

August 29, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  6. Carol St. Onge

McCain's choice shows how out of touch he really is concerning the women's vote.  It's not "pick a woman, any woman", it was that Hillary was THE woman for the job for many women.  Second choice is Barack, not McCain with a token woman as VP with no experience.  Given John's age and cancer history, she would most probably be President if they pull off this prank.

August 29, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  7. Heather

I congratulate her but that's about it.She isn't pro choice so all McCain is trying to do is make history as well.

August 29, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  8. WA

John what were you thinking ? Time for your pill!

OBAMA our Next President! Congratulations!

August 29, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  9. nettison

McCain you might as well have pick your wife Cindy – Hell she use to run a company.

August 29, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  10. Kimberly - Charleston, SC

I'm finding these comments to be hillarious! HELLO, to those who keep saying Hillary supporters can not be swayed by this tactic....WRONG.

I've been on the phone all day with my fellow Hillary supporters who also happen to be Indepenents, NOT DEMOCRATS. 16 and of 17 were thrilled. Wake up Obamanoids, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

August 29, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  11. Sherry B of Illinois

Congratulations and Thank you to Sen. McCain! You hit this one OUT OF THE PARK!... Gov. Palin is an AWESOME CHOICE! Wishing you continued success....Bring it home to the White House! To all you naysayers: "Not experienced" you say? She has FIVE kids and IS the Governor of Alaska!!! That pretty much COVERS ALL job experience!!!!! (Now CNN can go cry in their beer tonight).

August 29, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  12. Courtney, Fl

i'm amazed at how blantantly obvious McCain's moves are and people are still so simple as to fall for his lackluster tricks. as a woman i'm deeply offended that he could believe that he could win our vote by slapping a woman's name on the ticket. he's old as dirt and who know's if he'll live for 4yrs and this is his pick. i pray for the simple minded who fall for his crap even Ms.Palin who is an obvious pawn.

August 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  13. KURTIS PHILLIPS

How can McCain now make the argument that Obama has no experience when he pick's a vice president who has no experience
    and most americans have never heard of and it's a total disrespect
    to Hillary a woman wtih along record in politics who had a record breaking campign to choose a unknow woman to try and steal women voters this should really wake up those undecided voters and thoose who are independent's to what type of person he is and the type of campign he's running
    they dont want change they want more of the same ,they just want to win, where's the substance in his VP choice outside of her being a woman

August 29, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  14. b.smart

I think somebody should have pick Mrs C.Rice for the VP pick.
    I think she has a lot of experience for the job.

August 29, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  15. George Fernan

Was the best VP choice someone who is someone is currently under ethics investigations and has very limited experience. I like the aspect of conservatism that both bring to the ticket, but I think Mc Cain made a serious mistake by throwing the argument of experience as the central theme of the party. The choice this November will be change and experience vs. experience and moral conservatism.

August 29, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  16. Suellen

My GOP female friend took one look at Palin's "experience" and said, "Looks like I'll be voting for Obama." She observed that there aren't many GOP women over fifty who will think being a beauty queen runner-up, the mayor of a town of 10,000 (in Alaska), and spending two years as a gov. (of Alaska) AND currently under investigation for nepotism as a poster woman for the best American woman to be president. McCain is mistaken with this choice to attract older women voters.

August 29, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  17. James

John,
    you have lost your mind.

August 29, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  18. Pamela

How can virtually an unknown candidate come in to the political arena and profess to shatter the glass ceiling just because she is a woman? She had nothing to do with those 18 million cracks. Hillary dedicated her entire life to reaching for that ceiling with her experience, intelligence, diplomacy and diligence.

How can the public think that a woman with 5 children (one infant) be focused enough on anything other than her family and be potentially entrusted with the United States of America? Talk about someone not ready to run the country!!

I think McCain gave Obama a gift today!

August 29, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  19. Doug C.

I'm very disappointed with McCain choice for VP. Prior to McCain choice, i was leaning towards Mccain in the pimary, but now i know for certain i wll not vote for McCain. In my opinion, Romney would have been a much better choice. The Democrat side has too much fire power with Hillary, Oprah & the Kennedy Family....Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin won't be able to help him much among women voters.

August 29, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  20. Cindy Jenkins

This choice just shows how desperate the McCain camp is to win. Anyone can see the strategy behind this! This is why I will not explain it. You know, it's like accepting a position you did not work for.

This will not make a difference!

August 29, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  21. K E Y

Today Is A Special Day Being The 72nd Birthday Of Presidential Candidate Senator John McCain And The 20th Marriage Anniversary Of His Chosen Running Mate, Governor Of Alaska Sarah Palin. Of Course Democrats Immediately Raise The Issue That McCain’s Choice Negates His Argument About The Level Of Experience In The Oval Office.

The Fatal Flaw With This Argument Is That This “Lesser Level Of Experience” Is Only Applicable IF McCain Dies While In Office BUT Would Be Effective On The Day That Obama Would Assume Office And Only “Exacted” IF He Died While In Office.

So To Those That Want The Greater Level Of Experience In The Oval Office, I ask You, Do You Want To Vote For It Or Hope For It ???
    ======

August 29, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  22. Jan from Wood Dale IL

I just heard Gov. Palin speak at her introduction in Ohio. I was impressed. I was also impressed that John McCain made such a bold move. Looks like it's "Game On!" until November.

August 29, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  23. Susan

This is CHANGE that you can believe in !!!!!

Sarah Palin is smart, accomplished and real. A breath of fresh air in the old politics as usual.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

August 29, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  24. Gregg Brevoort

Wow. What kind of mother would go on the campaign trail with a 4-month old baby – with Down Syndrome, no less??? And McCain says that he is fighting against a Me-First Washington mentality? Sure sounds like My-Political-Ambitions-First to me. Talk about Family Values!

August 29, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  25. Orlando

Well, I believe that none of the reputable republicans would be willing to be on the ticket with McCain because they want to reserve their chance for a white house bid in the future. They know that McCain will not win the election against Obama-Biden. So McCain had to pick a looser. Someone that would not loose much from loosing in November

August 29, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  26. Mrs Wyse

Atlanta, GA

Earn your place or be placed to earn!
    John McCain picks Sarah Palin in hopes of winning Senator Clinton voters. But once again "out of touch" John McCain unlike Senator Obama doesn't get it.
    Senator Clinton EARNED her place as the first WOMAN to have a successful run for the White House. However, Palin was GIVEN this opportunity to play second. For me being a woman and hearing Palin's 1st speech trying to pull Clinton voters over to McCain simply because Palin happens to be a woman is an insult, and shows that sexism is being played but Senator Obama isn't the one playing it. Also, due to the fact that no one knows her I feel was the wrong way to be introduced. Almost a slap in the face.
    Lastly, McCain picks Palin because he wants to win.
    Obama picks Biden because he wants AMERICA to Win.
    So is Country REALLY FIRST McCain?

August 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  27. Nitin M.

McCain's age is bit of an issue. Should an unfortunate event occur, the question becomes is Gov. Palin ready to be commander-in-chief? And would she be on top of any conservative's list. If she wanted to serve her country in that capacity why did she not run in the presential race.

August 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  28. Richard A Stacy

She's smart.
    She's a woman.
    She has executive management experience.
    If the Dems criticize her lack of experience, they will draw attention to Obama's own inexperience.
    She represents the vast number of Americans who "cling to their guns and religion," and are proud of it.
    She's an attractive personable mother of 5, who has a son who will soon deploy to Iraq.
    She has ALWAYS been proud of her country.
    She is far removed from the beltway mentality.
    Did I mention, she is a woman??

August 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  29. KJ

On CNN you keep talking about Palin's inexperience and youth- that is the same argument made against Obama. How silly that sounds!

I am a Hillary supporter. Gov. Palin is not Hillary, but she is a person, a mother, and politician that I truly like. If I can't have Hillary as my next President- I want Palin as my next VP.

Great Job McCain Camp.....

August 29, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  30. Bunny Bennett

McCain had to do something to take the attention away from Barack. I don't understand why he chose a running mate that has no experience in National government. McCain has pounded Barack because of his supposed inexperience. Gov. Palin has no experience in foreign policy, national economy, health care or the myriad of other issues that plague this country. I really do not believe that either McCain or Palin can lead this country. Obama and Biden have the vision and the experience needed to turn our country around. It scares me to death to think that a Bush clone and an inexperienced woman from small town america might be leading this country. Don't get me wrong, I am not putting Palin down. I don't know enough about her to do so and I absolutely love Alaska, but just because she is a woman, mother of 5 and governor of Alaska does not make her ready to govern the USA.

August 29, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  31. Rhonda Sands

Trying to get the Hillary Clinton vote by tapping Sarah Palin is like attacking a grizzly with birdshot. Nothing against her, but she just isn't in the same league as Hillary!

August 29, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  32. Nova

Wow! we've heard that Hillary was to strong. Michelle Obama too strong maybe angry even. Then McCain goes and pick a woman who's known as a barracuda! and is just as wild as him! and is a maverick. I don't see the compliment, and worst his campaign against Obama is lack of experience but yet he insist that his VP choice with similar credential's as Obama young, fairly new in the political arena,can step up to the plate of Presidency if need be.Well we Know that in Obama! Thanks Sen. McCain For endorsing what we've said all along. Obama is ready to lead! you still just dont get it.

August 29, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  33. Kathie Sobczak

I will Not vote for Mr. Obama and I am a card carring democrat. I did not vote for him in the Texas primary, I did vote for Hiiiary Clinton. I don't think it would be in our countries' best interest to have another president who has no real experience in pretty much any arena. We have barely made it through the past 8 years with someone who had no experience.. I am not willing to have even 1 more year of the same. I had made up my mind that had Hillary not been nominated as the DNC's candidate for president that I would vote for John McCain. I am intrigued By Govenor Palin and intend to learn as much as possible about her. I believe that other Clinton supporters will be won over as well by the McCain/Palin ticket.

August 29, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  34. david bowman

john mcCains pick for the vice president reminds me of the day that george bush nominated harriet miers for the supreme court.

August 29, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  35. david bowman

john mcCains pick for the vice president reminds me of the day that george bush nominated harriet miers to the supreme court.

August 29, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  36. Kency

II am sure there is logic behind John MCcain's choice for VP, but I am afraid I do not see it. I can only speculate that it is because he is trying to pick up the "Hillary-fans" who will not be voting for Obama. And if that is the case, well then, I say good luck, because I don’t believe that will work. I believe that MCcain missed the point. Even if I was a Hillary voter prior to Obama winning the nomination, I would not vote for MCcain because he has a woman on the ticket, an unknown and someone with little to no experience. Which by the way makes MCcain a hypocrite, because his whole platform before was that Obama did not have enough experience. Having a woman on the ticket will not change my mind about MCcain. I believe he is out of touch and not to mention nothing he says makes any sense to me or for that matter relatable. I want change and Obama is going to deliver the change that "we the people" need. Eight years of BushMCcain is "enough." This is will be my first time voting and I am elated that he will be for the first African American who has ever been nominated by "the people."

August 29, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  37. Candace DeVries

I'm sure I'm not the only American that's thinking about John McCains' age at this moment. Sarah Palin could be our next president? Really Mr.McCain..you questioned Baracks judgement ...now what does this say about yours? I am not only confident that Barack Obama can handle the responsibility of being our president I also have the same faith is his running mate Joe Biden. I will not sleep at night if McCain ends up in an 8th house and the possibility of a virtual stranger with no experience at all could at any moment be in charge of our country.

August 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  38. WR

John McCain's choice in picking a woman was offensive to women. To think women are so stupid that we would vote for a woman just because she's a woman is offensive. Hillary Clinton had the qualifications to be president. This woman clearly doesn't. How dare he think he can just pick a woman and we women are just supposed to fall in line? All Clinton voters are supposed to monolithic thinkers? Clinton took a chance, raised money, campaigned FOR HERSELF AND NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE. She wasn't in a SUPPORT ROLE! SHE WAS IN CHARGE!!! McCain is using her. If anything, she was gullible for accepting it. What kind of woman is she? Can't she see that he is only using her for what she can bring...shoring up his conservative credentials so "HE" can win. It's disgusting is what this is. She can't walk in CLINTON'S SHOES. How dare she try to compare herself to Hillary. It's demeaning. What is going on is the desparation of a campaign. McCain had no intensions of putting any woman or minority on his ticket until Obama won. IT'S OBVIOUS. Woman across America should be offended today. Egomanic. How dare he think woman are so stupid that he could do this. John McCain doesn't get it. Any woman just won't do!

August 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  39. Kimberly - Charleston, SC

Call it pandering if you like, it was still a smart move. Everyone who assumed the 18 million were appeased by the Clinton's show of support, are in for a surprise.

And for the record, I am not a bitter-Hillary-Supporting-Democrat. I am an independent, who preferred Hillary and will now vote for McCain.

August 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  40. jody.gernandt

i've been totally relating to the reluctant hillary supporters, as you both=
    know. but after last night's speech, i could feel the new day dawning, so=
    i'm sure my reluctant hillary girls felt it too. now, mr republican, ju=
    st smacked a bunch of already 'been though the ringer' women with his pick =
    for vp. insulting? one woman is as good as the next? look, girls...we ha=
    ve a woman like you wanted? phew...barack and michelle can start picking =
    out the new china....

August 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  41. Mary Jane

As an independent voter who supported Hillary, I finally have a reason to hasd to the polls in November. I was going to give the all-male election a pass, now my vote is firmly for the McCain/Palin ticket. Way to go John McCain on this superlative choice!

Amazing how the TV media is already beginning to undercut Sarah Palin the same it they did Hillary Cinton. Seems that only the female candidates need "closer scrutiny," and not the men, including Mr. Obama who has been given a softball pass by the media.

August 29, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  42. Cynthia

The only reason that I can see that he would pick her is to try and get some of the Hilliary Clinton supporters. I'm sure those voters will take a really close look at Palin and recognize that number one she is not Hilliary Clinton and does not have the experience that Senator Clinton has. Senator McCain is 72 yrs old and has had several bouts with cancer. I know for sure that I don't want Palin a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

August 29, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  43. Richard

There is no comparison between Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton. Clinton speaks with authority and knowledge. She was a credible candidate. Palin looks like she is auditioning for "Gidget goes to Washington." I'm sure she is a great mom and does a wonderful job of coaching youth soccer, but she is totally unqualified to be a heartbeat away from the Oval Office, especially serving with someone as old and increasingly frail as McCain. And do we really want a VP from a corrupt state that gave us the Bridge to Nowhere? Even Palin is now under investigation for corruption.

August 29, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  44. Darnell in Atlanta

This choice is so transparent, it is obvious with this pick that we are getting more of the same. The highest offices in the land controled by the oil companies. Just like George Bush being control by the big oil companies, know Sarah Palin who is also controled by the big oil companies. Yes it will be more of the same if they are elected to the Offices of the President and Vice President.

August 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  45. Michelle

John McCain just lost the election. All along he as been bashing
    Obama for inexperience and leadership. Woman are not monolithic.
    Stop thinking she connects with women. Obama is having the
    American public transform politics. It will not distract from the
    policies of McCain. It means nothing since a lot of the older
    female supporters of HRC are liberal feminist. I am at a lost,
    who is he trying to appeal to?

August 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  46. Jen

Congradulations to Gov. Palin although it is our first time ever hearing of you, you seem to have the spunk that Mc Cain needs it will be interesting to see and hear who you really are.

I am convinced that this is a desperate ask on McCain side to fight abortion, the war in Iraq, and women rights. But the bottom line is McCain vote 90% with George Bush and will be head of the Ticket.

He wants someone who will Not have an opinion.

McCain is NOT original. NO MORE 4 MORE. Like Palin Thanks but NO THANKS

Texas

August 29, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  47. Andrea Hanson

I have NEVER voted republican...neither did my mother...that's a combined 100 years of voting democrat....this year because of bungling democratic party and McCain's reputation and VP choice and her reputation, I will be voting republican! Why didn't Obama choose Hillary???

August 29, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  48. Deborah Moore

They Talked about Obama not having enough experience too run for president what about mccain running mate not too many people know anything about her including the media.

August 29, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  49. Gladys

She's up and coming – and definitely no Hillary Clinton.

After being governor for 2 years she's under investigation, she doesn't agree with McCain on offshore drilling, she's an unknown, and no match for Biden.

And, furthermore, she looks like a last ditch effort to draw away attention from Obama's convention.

August 29, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  50. Jean

The Republicans have not conceded anything on experience. Sarah Palin, a popular governor, with executive branch experience. And Obama? and a junior senator from Illinois with a limited voting record. I will take Sarah's experience any day!

August 29, 2008 at 1:25 pm |