August 28th, 2008

Morning Buzz – Enter Gustav

Ted Fine
AC360 Sr. Producer

I am sitting at Mile High Stadium this morning. Got here at 1am local time to get ready to help John Roberts and American Morning start the CNN day. The stage is set – really – for Barack Obama's acceptance speech tonight.

But my eyes are on Gustav. The storm is spinning in the Caribbean, not sure where it will hit, or when. But it could be Monday, and it could be New Orleans, and that could be another disaster. I'm heading from Denver to New Orleans with Anderson tomorrow morning. We'll see what the new day brings.

The effects of Gustav could be felt as far north as Minneapolis. Not wind and rain, but attention on the storm could sap attention from the Republican Convention which starts Monday.

We hear that John McCain has decided on his running mate, but his pick does not know. That lucky person will get the call today. And my CNN friends say McCain will reveal his pick on Friday in Ohio.

And all that – Gustav and McCain – will fight for attention with Barack Obama's big night. The Democratic National Convention wraps up tonight with the now official Democratic presidential nominee addressing about 75,000 people at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Should be lots of fun.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Michelle

I hope CNN is smart enough to realize the setting in Mile High
    is the Lincoln Memorial. If you use Google Earth you would notice.
    I think you all have been mentioning MLK's " I have a Dream "
    speech held on the same day 45 years ago. My guess is there
    will be hundreds of ordinary people sharing the stadium stage
    with Obama. The media is so in with the McCain campaign.

August 28, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  2. Ryan Field

My eyes are set on Obama's speech too. And the back drop with the Greek columns that are supposed to represent the White House. Has anyone noticed this quasi scenery isn't painted white? The White House isn't beige; it's white. I don't think Barack Obama did this by accident.

August 28, 2008 at 10:40 am |
  3. Dolores, Austin Texas

Morning Anderson, Last nights coverage of the Democratic convention was the best yet. As always President Clinton was great, but I have to say that the speech by Beau Biden was very emotional for me. I loved the acceptance speech by Senator Joe Biden, it made it even better when his son talked about the personal tragedies this wonderful man has endured. I am so looking forward to the tonight’s coverage. Thanks to you and the rest of the crew for doing a wonderful job.

'Obama/Biden 08

August 28, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  4. Peter

Obama is by far a better speaker than Hillary and even Bill Clinton. Besides that, he is more intelligent than either and has a natural ability to inspire people with not only his words but his body language. The Clintons have attested to his power influence and as good as their speeches were, I guarantee Obama will deliver not only the best speech of this convention, but with the venue and the significance of this event, this speech will be remembered as the most dramatic and world changing speeches in history.
    i wish I could be there.

August 28, 2008 at 9:36 am |
  5. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Good Mrning to 360 staff
    I'm looking forward to hearing Obama's speech tonight can he truly deliever the change we can beleive in ? I hope so in the wake of the strugling economy and rising costs everywhere it would be nice to have someone for the poeple for a change ,

Have a great day
    Michelle

August 28, 2008 at 9:21 am |
  6. Sandra, Wadley Ga

Good morning Ted. When Bill Clinton took center stage last evening, and due to the thunderous applause, sternly ordered everyone to "sit down" I thought he said lay down so I did and dropped off into a sound sleep. I will check out the videos from cnnPolitics.com later today. I do pray Gustav and tropical depression eight will weaken in the days ahead.

August 28, 2008 at 9:14 am |
  7. Heather

I just hope the mayor of New Orleans has more than just hope this time. I hope he has any actual evacuation plan. I hope all stay safe.

At least McCain won't waste our time with a stupid text message!

August 28, 2008 at 8:42 am |
  8. Cindy

Last night Bill Clinton did an awesome speech. I knew that he would do as good of a job as Hillary. Now no one can say that they are trying to sabotage Obama's chances.

But Biden on the other hand...well his speech was a snooze-fest. It took all I could do to listen and not fall asleep!

So far this convention has done nothing for me. I still haven't heard one word as to how they plan to make these changes that they are harping on. Obama better do that tonight or this thing will be a bust!

I've been keeping an eye on Gustav too. It's sad that lives were lost in Haiti. I hope that it turns on it's way here and does not go anywhere near NOLA. Really I wish it'd turn and miss land all together. I just don't think that NOLA is anywhere near ready for this no matter what Nagin told Anderson yesterday.

I am glad that Anderson will be there on the 3rd anniversary of Katrina though. Glad he finally decided to go again. But maybe Anderson and the media ought to focus on it more when there is no anniversary or hurricane headed that way. Just a thought!

Cindy...Ga.

August 28, 2008 at 8:25 am |
  9. Annie Kate

The Democratic convention has been fun to watch. Some of the decorated clothes and hats we got glimpses of when the reporters were interviewing people added to an almost festive quality.

Glad Anderson and you are going to New Orleans; Friday will be the 3rd anniversary of Katrina won't it? I hope Gustav steers clear of New Orleans; if Gustav does visit NOLA I hope the response is better than last time and that people evacuate so they don't' put themselves and their rescuers in danger by staying. When Anderson was interviewing Nagin last night I wondered if anyplace got hit as badly as Katrina hit the Gulf Coast would the federal government respond any better, faster, more competently than it did 3 years ago? And if it doesn't what impact that would have on the election. I don't think the GOP really wants people reminded of how bad it was on the GOP watch after Katrina. McCain's slim lead (according to polls) I think would be "gone with the wind". I just hope it doesn't take lives with it.

Annie Kate