August 27th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Bill Clinton's turn

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/27/art.bill.dnc.jpg caption="Bill Clinton listened to his wife Sen. Hillary Clinton, address the Democratic National Convention from the sidelines, Tuesday. Tonight, he'll be taking center stage."]

Ted Fine
AC360° Sr. Producer

Tonight Sen. Joe Biden gets his shot at the Democratic National Convention as his party's vice presidential nominee, but the most anticipated moment is when former President Bill Clinton takes the stage. Last night Sen. Hillary Clinton declared "Barack Obama is my candidate, and he must be our President" Tuesday night. Will her husband do the same?

In her speech Sen. Clinton urged her supporters "to unite as a single party with a single purpose". Obama arrives in Denver late this afternoon, on the day he will become the first African-American to win his party's nomination. The historic roll call is expected to see votes cast for Clinton before the voting will be cut short under a deal between the two camps, with Obama then nominated by acclimation.

Candy Crowley reported Wednesday that Senator Clinton will be in Invesco Field for Obama's acceptance speech, but a Bill Clinton source tells her the former President is not planning to attend.

The McCain campaign is releasing a new ad every day.Today's is called "Tiny" and, according to the campaign, highlights Barack Obama's statement that Iran "doesn't pose a serious threat."

Last night, McCain's people reacted quickly to Sen. Clinton's speech. Minutes after she left the stage, spokesman Tucker Bounds said, "Senator Clinton ran her presidential campaign making clear that Barack Obama is not prepared to lead as commander in chief. Nowhere tonight did she alter that assessment."

Watch for news about John McCain's running mate at any time. He's expected to unveil his pick at week's end – and that's soon.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Al from NJ

Michelle has convinced her husband not to select Hillary because Michelle would be overshadowed. Basically Michelle is jelous.

With Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama could have made history – but instead, Obama chose not to do so.

Obama hogged history. So Hillary’s speech will likely produce no gain for Obama. Instead, it will lay the basis for a lasting resentment at Obama’s failure to select her as VP.

Obama can't win the votes of women, especially older women.

Hillary's speech the other night made Obama's chance of winning those women voters a lot harder, if not impossible.

August 28, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  2. Sue Stephenitch

Just saw President Clinton's address and was very moved by his support for Senator Obama. Couldn't help but giggle when I heard the song the band was playing during his exit from the stage. "Addicted to Love?" Ooh, naughty!

August 27, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  3. Quincey

Give me a brreak, all you Michelle Obama HATERS, Mrs. Obama is a very classy lady, she sat and listened to a phoney faced Hillary deliever an obviously painful disingenuous speech that was supposed to unite the party behind her husband. I can only imagine, how I would respond if I were forced to sit and listen to someone who has schemed, conspired and contribed to destroy my loved one through lies, fabrication and manipulation. Mrs. Obama was as gracious and elegant as humanly possible under the circumstances!!

August 27, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  4. Bonnie/St. Louis

Mike–from Syracuse– I thought I was the only one that noticed Michelle was being very rude to Hillary. She did not crack a smile one time. They are not going to win over her supporters when she does things like that. I try real hard to like Michelle, but I just can't help but thing MEAN GIRL- when I see her. Not someone I would want to be friends with or see as First Lady. I think they made a BIG mistake not picking Hillary to be VP.

August 27, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  5. Kennar

Tonight, i will be watching Joe Biden...He is now the rock behind Obama..Let's see what he can deliver, everyone is talking about Unity,Unity,Unity.

It's going to take a new wave of people, not just One speech, but an Army of like minded people, to get the Democrats in the Big House..

Let's call Joe Biden's people the Average Joe Army...And get the Job done!!

August 27, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  6. Tom MacMillan

A little ironic that tonight Bill Clinton will be the elephant in the room.

August 27, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  7. Lacy

I am not optimistic about President Clinton's speech tonight. I am not sure it will be anything I want to hear. With all this anger and hatred I have seen displayed during the Primary I honestly will not believe anything that he says about supporting Obama or the democratic party.

I must say I always respected President Clinton and believe that he was a great person in office. And he is a man who people listen to and I would hope that he would seriously consider Senator Obama as the nominee and the next president but I just dont see it happening.

We all know President Clinton can not hide his true feelings they always show on his face. But we will see.

August 27, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  8. lampe

Allison: Kent: Nikkita, and Irene: you Obama supporters are a real trip: If he had lost can you honestly sit there and say you wouldn't be upset, or maybe even feel like crying? Sen. Clinton did exactly what Obama, asked her to do. If he didn't want her or Pres. Clinton there, they wouldn't be. In case you don't know this, there has NEVER EVER BEEN a nominee that lost, that has said those kind of nice remarks abot the winner like Sen. Clinton said. Not Kennedy not Regan, not anyone. So if you don't think she did a good job, I don't care , but if you don't stop the hate-filled remarks from your side, don't for one minute think it will stop from the other. Party Unity can only happen with everbody that's a Democrat, not with only the losers.

August 27, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  9. Saad, Ramsey, NJ

Irene,

Though I disagree with few of your arguments but I completely understand where you are coming from. Not only that, I totally agree with you about the spotlight ratio which is totally wrong and unjust.

But you think Bill Clinton is the most embarrassing President of our country..... really, even more than my beloved President Bush........ LOL.

August 27, 2008 at 12:32 pm |
  10. Jan

Bill Clinton's exit will be a long time coming tonight. Can't wait until his speech is finished as that means the Clinton era is finally OVER.
    He is not even attending Obama speech tomorrow – not a surprise at all. Clintons are very poor losers. Something that wasn't taught in their upbringing & unfortunately passed on to their daughter.
    Bye bye Clintons
    Obama for President
    Obama/Biden '08

August 27, 2008 at 12:32 pm |
  11. Chris, Ohio

I watched Hillary Clinton's speech last night and was blown away. Here is a woman who saw the brass ring snatched from her grasp, yet she was powerful, enthusiastic and gracious. Hillary had the audience in the palm of her hand. Not once did I get a sense of "pity me – I lost" or whining about fate. If the Democrats can't pull together after this, they don't deserve to win!

Now Obama better be able to get it together and show the American people he can do the job! I haven't seen enough to impress me enough to vote for him. Can he do it? Will Obama's speech galvanize the party and the undecided voters? Can he be gracious to Hillary tomorrow night? That remains to be seen.

I was most disappointed in Michelle Obama last night. She looked as if she'd rather have been anywhere else then at the convention. Could she have scowled anymore then she was? Hillary was gracious in her speech, could Michelle Obama have shown the same courtesy? I don't want Michelle Obama to sit there with a false smile on her face, but she needs to remember that this is her husband's future – the rest of the world and the voters are watching what she does. Looking pleasant shouldn't be a difficult chore, isn't this what she wanted?

August 27, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  12. Sheila

What is wrong with everyone this morning, and what the hell are the Democrats doing in Denver?

No-one seems to be able to comprehend that the woman in the pumpkin colored (apt choice) pantsuit lost the Primary!!! Obama won!! Why is so much time and effort being given to the Clintons and their cohorts? Those crazy women who refuse to accept that Clinton lost are never going to "get on board," and her speech was 95% "Look at me, I'm the won you should have chosen!! Me! Me! Me!"
    and 5% about uniting the party behind Obama.

She did just the hatchet job I expected her to do, and I'm sure that Bill will continue the "Isn't she wonderful" b.s. tonight. How do the Dems. expect to win in November when they gave the Clinton not one Bully Pulpet but two!

I hope with all my heart that Obama wins in November – four more years of George Bush's economics and foreign policy will change our great country, which is already on its knees, into a third world power owned by China, Dubai, and all the others who purchased out debts.

August 27, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  13. Mindy Chatsworth, Ca.

I have to commend CNN and Suzanne Malveaux for that extraordinary interview with the woman delegate last night. That is what this convention is all about. She moved me to tears with her heartfelt words. Yes, many middle aged women like myself and older women like my Mom saw our dreams in Hillary Clinton. I was so proud of her last night. I said on this blog yesterday that she would raise the roof and she did that and more. It was an incredibly generous, brilliant, masterfully crafted speech that made the case for her supporters to rally around Barack Obama. It can't be done any better than that.

To see this woman articulate my feelings so eloquently was moving and real. She had more to say than all of your political analysts combined. She embodies what we are all struggling with here. I have already made my decision to support Obama. I will not desert my party in this critical election. I hope this woman will be motivated to support the ticket after Obama gives his acceptance speech. Frankly, he has his work cut out for him. Hillary did her part and now the ball is in his court. This speech will be the most important one of his career. It's now up to him to seal the deal. Hillary answered all of the questions about her commitment to Obama last night. She is on board and we should be, too.

Reading the comment here about how the Democrats lie and will raise ALL our taxes, shows that we have to get the message out to those who will listen to reason and rational argument. The Republicans only have fear to use in this election. They dare not run on their record, because it is truly absymal.

It's so true, as Hillary reminded us, that the future of our country and ourselves is at stake. We simply cannot afford to lose this election.

August 27, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  14. sandra williams

I would like to see the roll call go all the way with the magnitude of Hillary Clinton's supporters being registered and documented for the future. Obama doesn't want that...maybe he is a little afraid that super delegates might really vote for the person most prepared to be our next President...and that is not him. He proved to me that he has serous judgment flaws when he did not pick, or even serously consider, Hillary Clinton as the V.P. I really had every intention of voting for him until he made that decision – now I am undecided. I really wish a great third party candidate would step up!

Hillary Clinton is the class act here. The playgound fight with supporters has only been escalating with Obama's choice to throw gas on the flames of the fire. Hillary has been the wiser and more mature person to throw her support over those flames to smother the fire...not fan it. What if this was a world incident instead of a political party incident – what approach would you like our leader to take!?! In these turbulent times in our world we need a person who will turn fires into smoldering embers not a person who turns fires into infernos.

August 27, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  15. Vegas

Hillary did a great job... she will be ready for 2012.

Bill will add to it as well... fully knowing Obama is a tool and keeps falling... even after his VP selection and two days of convention he loses in the polls.

The DNC became fully aware last night they made a terrible mistake... in a year when it was all theirs... they snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Obama's done... put the tool back in the box!

August 27, 2008 at 10:45 am |
  16. Irene

You know Hillary lost the nomination. Yet she's been in the news limelight continuously. Letting her speak at the convention may be to show a united front for the Dems, but people are still acting like she's the candidate instead of giving Obama his day. Get out of the limelight, lady, you lost because you weren't as good as your opponent! And I thank God for that regardless of the fact I'm a white, catholic, 50+ woman. I'm ashamed of how you conducted yourself during your campaign, & I do hope you've paid all those venders the $9M you owed them. Shame on you Hillary Clinton.
    And Bill Clinton speaking? There is NO good reason on this earth to let Bill Clinton speak. NONE! He was not a good president, he couldn't keep it in his pants then lied to everyone who'd listen tryng to get out of it, lost his law license because of his lying, and was the cause of impeachment proceedings that made our entire country look like a joke in front of the whole world. And he's allowed not only to talk at the convention, but there are people out there who actually CARE if Clinton will back Obama. Why should anyone care what this fool thinks.
    Maybe if everyone wasn't so busy commenting on Hillary's speech, they'd pay more attention to what Michelle Obama had to say. Just look at the difference in the two women's news coverages! Why should the losing candidate rate higher news coverage than the future first lady? Once again Clintons' in the limelight while the Obamas' get second class news treatment. Who's the candidate here? Barack Obama. Please remember that. I will not be listening to what the most embarassing president of this country has to say tonight, he's done enough damage to my country already.

August 27, 2008 at 10:44 am |
  17. Susan

Ted:

It is not Senator Clinton job to unify the Democratic Party. She lost !!!
    As Senator Obama is the head of the party, that job falls on his shoulders. Let us see if HE is up to that task !!!!

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

P.S. Senator Clinton's speech was brilliant. A perfect set up for her run in 2012.

August 27, 2008 at 10:38 am |
  18. Saad, Ramsey, NJ

God only knows what's cooking in Bill's mind and his heart. However, one thing we all know is that he is one of the most charismatic of the people and perhaps the most dashing of a speaker that we have ever seen. For those who disagree with the above are jealous of him, if not consciously, then perhaps in their subconscious.

Even as believer that Bill is one of the legendary leaders of our time, I must admit that he has acted a little out of character lately. Maybe because he truly started believing that his wife was the best and the only person for the job. Still, it does not take away from the fact that he is an amazing person and an ardent speaker which he has proved over time and for many years.

So he will be just fine and I guarantee he will deliver an awesome speech and it will be a great few minutes to watch.

August 27, 2008 at 10:33 am |
  19. ginger from STL

I was overwhelmed with admiration for Hillary as a speaker, a leader, and a voice for the women of this great nation. She showed everyone what she is made of with grace, eloquence and clarity. She is a great woman that would make an incredible president. Her speech was filled with words of unity for the democratic party and she did an outstanding job. I think she did her job well – to move her 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling to support Obama because we need a united democratic party to get the Republicans OUT. We cannot afford more of the same kind of leadership. I don't understand the comments regarding support for McCain. Our country is in poor shape from whatever angle you view it. We need CHANGE to get our country back on track economically and to regain our position as a world leader of the world.

August 27, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  20. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Good Morning
    AC 360
    Hillary's speech was fantastic she could have united the democratic party had she been picked as V.P. It was a mistake on Obama's part but Biden will hepl turn things around and bring more suppoters from Hillary's side to his vote . Ican't wait to see Bill's speech tonight thanks for all the great poltical coverage it's great

Hve a great day
    Michelle

August 27, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  21. Mike, Syracuse NY

On Hillary: good speech, but she did nothing to repudiate her comments on Obama not being ready to lead. Lots on why she ran, and why Democrats need to come together (basically just because they are Democrats). Nothing on Obama, why he is qualified, or whyat he will do. Lots of hope/change fluff. She did what she had to do to secure a future in the party, and to be able to claim it's not her fault when he loses.

On Michelle: Will someone tell her the world was watching that sour puss.

August 27, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  22. Alex

Bill's speech tonight could be anti-climactic. Hillary Clinton, in my estimation, gave the best speech of her career and showed everyone what a true and talented leader she is. The ball is in your court Barack, but I don't think you'll get the gold in this event.

August 27, 2008 at 9:59 am |
  23. Anne Krick

Hillary's speech was incredible by any standards. But Anderson Cooper disappointed me when, while analyzing the reaction, he read a comment from Senator McCain. Cooper seemed to be intentionally stirring up trouble. He should have stayed with comments from the convention floor. Larry King's show the next hour would have been the place for McCain's comments. What did he expect McCain to say, "Way to go, Hillary!" ? Now Cooper has to be just as intrusive with the Republican campaign. There is a difference between reporting the news and fanning the flames! Get with it guys.

August 27, 2008 at 9:58 am |
  24. Nikkita

This whole debate is stupid in the truest sense of the word. These "Billary" supporters are the reason why so many people have said that a woman could never be president. For all of their rallying, parading, and shouting is a farce: What they really are doing is crying and stomping their feet, yelling like brats "This isn't fair!" Guess what, a vote for McCain is a vote for funding terrorism through oil profiteering and war-mongering. A vote for McCain is a vote for ending access to contraception, comprehensive sexuality education, and eventually CHOICE. A vote for McCain is saying that drilling for oil offshore of the U.S. is good because it emotionally soothes Americans...we're just that dumb that even though it won't help gas costs or our dependence on this fuel that is destroying our planets, we really just want to feel good. A vote for McCain is telling the various industries in the United States that shipping our jobs off to India, China, and other countries is just what the doctor ordered to fix the foreclosure debacle.

How is it that these Hillary supporters can actually, with a straight face, insist that they will either sit home or vote for McCain? That tells me one thing...your support of her was NEVER for AMERICA.

And by the way, I'm a woman who for a split-second actually supported Hillary. Once it became clear that her winning was a pipe-dream (and this was long before that so-called "concession" speech that she gave), I began to fully support Barack Obama. ANYONE WHO CALLS THEMSELVES AN AMERICAN DEMOCRAT WOULD DO NO LESS. No, this is not about party politics, I have been known to vote for a Republican or two. This is simply about beginning to address the nonsense that has been called "The Bush Administration." PLEASE QUIT YOUR CRYING, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. KEEP IT MOVING, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, HILLARY IS OUT OF THE RUNNING!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

August 27, 2008 at 9:44 am |
  25. Heather

I think Hillary's speech was monumental and incredible.I think Michelle Obama needs to work on her poker face and look less miserable when Pres Clinton gives his speech.She needs to remember the world is literally watching and so are all of Hillary's supporter's.

August 27, 2008 at 9:39 am |
  26. Markus Thorndike

Hillary Clinton needs to follow up personally - yes, with a videocamera taping the scene (thus upping the political risk she is taking by doing so) - with the woman Suzanne Malveaux interviewed just after her big speech.

Her interaction with that woman directly, while CNN.com cameras rolled, would make powerful television - that's what CNN gets out of it, regardless of how it turns out. Not to mention my goal (and what quite quite evidently is her goal): the clip generated by her interaction could very well become the critical linchpin needed to sway remaining undecided or even oppositional Clinton supporters toward Obama.

August 27, 2008 at 8:53 am |
  27. Jim

The far left can expect little support from the center. They have made their bed and now they can can lie in it. This is not about Hillary. This about rejecting the far left. Alas, McCain 2008!

August 27, 2008 at 8:45 am |
  28. Kent, Illinois

If you are a Democrat Delegate and you cannot get unified, you need to stop being a delegate and go home. The last thing the Party needs is someone who doesn't believe in the ideals of the Democratic Party. This Party is the party of the people. The Republican Party is the Party of big business. Any GOP people who say otherwise are terribly misguided............or lying. Something the Repubs are incredibly good at...........

August 27, 2008 at 8:44 am |
  29. Kent, Illinois

I really like the statement by Hillary........

No Way........No how........No McCain...........very catchy.......

She was terrific last night...........and very believable. She will be in the new administration's cabinet. Bill will be on board tonight for Obama also.

August 27, 2008 at 8:39 am |
  30. Cindy

While Hillary did a good speech I still did not hear anything at all about how they plan to implement these changes. She and the others only talked about wanting to change and help the country. But the fact is that they have no concise plan.

All I heard was a bunch of bashing which means nothing. Because the reality is that all three, Biden, Hillary and Obama, all take money from lobbyist, ( Biden's son is one!!) they all take millions a year for earmarks which they then dole out to their "friends" that back them, they all voted for the 2008 Dem. Budget which will increase taxes for everyone making $42,000 or more...not just the "rich" as they claim, I can go on and on but will spare you.

So the fact of the matter is that they all three are worse than McCain because he does none of the above! They try to smooth talk people with their rhetoric and bashing but the truth is that they are only in it for themselves. And if you all think that they won't raise taxes then you are crazy! How do you think that they are going to pay for health care, a "greener" country, Moving off of oil...the 2008 Dem Budget proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that they will and are planning on raising taxes for EVERYONE!

They are worse than the Reps because they lie to your face and do the opposite behind your back. Get a clue people. Look up what these people are for. Everything I mentioned you can find on the net!! And there is A LOT that I didn't mention.

Hillary did what she had to do to keep her place in the Dem party so that she can run again in 2012. It's very obvious that she does not like the Obama's and judging from Michelle's scowls last night as Hillary was speaking that they don't like her either. Yep...that's real unity!!

Cindy...Ga.

August 27, 2008 at 8:34 am |
  31. Allison

Hillary hit it out of the ballpark. Which is why is was particularly astonishing to hear the delegate (from Kentucky, I think) afterward expressing doubts about Obama.

That woman had to be the most self-absorbed, it's-all-about-me indication of what's disconcerting to those of us who want a Democrat to be president.

Her candidate lost. That's happened to me, too. It didn't mean I sat it out. That woman, complete with her theatrics, typify what's wrong with some people. I pray there aren't many more like her. Someone should tell her to get over herself.

August 27, 2008 at 7:27 am |