August 27th, 2008

Has Hillary changed any minds?

Watch Anne Price-Mill's emotional response to Sen. Hillary Clinton's speech.
Watch Anne Price-Mill's emotional response to Sen. Hillary Clinton's speech.

Editor's note: After Hillary Clinton's speech CNN Suzanne Maveaux, interviwed Democratic delegate, Anne Price-Mills, a Hillary Clinton supporter, about her emotional reaction to Clinton's speech. What was your take on Price-Mills' reaction?

COOPER: Suzanne Malveaux is down on the floor with some very strong Hillary Clinton supporters. Apparently they had tears in their eyes during some parts of the speech. Suzanne, what are you hearing from them?

MALVEAUX: Joining us here obviously very strong Clinton supporters.

Tell me, why is this so important to you? What does this moment mean to you?

PRICE-MILLS: Hillary Clinton proved to me tonight that she would have made an excellent president. She was presidential tonight. She's the evidence that women have come so far and to let gender be a hindrance, to let a phenomenal, an intelligent, a powerful, a moving, a motivating person not move us into the next generation, not move us into the future that we deserve, not move us into the green economy that we deserve, not being able to address the concerns that we deserve, and now everybody just want us to suddenly shift.

You just saw it yourselves. You saw it yourself; you know that was a presidential speech. You know it. When you guys look back at the end of this week and you start to tear apart the speeches and you will, you know that was a presidential speech.

She did everything for Obama that she was supposed to do. Now it's time for him to step up and do what he's supposed to do.

MALVEAUX: Will you vote for her when you cast your votes later in the week?

PRICE-MILLS:
I was selected to come here as a delegate for Clinton. I will vote for Clinton.

You ask me about my personal vote in November? Obama has two months. I won't vote for McCain. But he has to get me there and I haven't connected with him. Experience speaks to me. I ask everybody all the time, I said, would you take us to heal us? Would you take somebody straight out of Harvard, even if they had the education, and put them as a CEO in the company?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/27/art.hillaryforprez.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton urged supporters to vote for Barack Obama in her speech last night. Some still want 'Hillary for President', like Los Angeles celebrity lawyer, Gloria Allred."]

MALVEAUX: Tell me the kind of connection you felt with Hillary Clinton.

PRICE-MILLS: I see in Hillary, I saw in Hillary what my potential future could be. I saw more than just dreams. I saw things that could be reality.

In her eyes and in her words, I could envision the reality of knowing that we can actually have green jobs instead of talks. That we could have the image that we once have of a United States that was respected and that went out and did the jobs that we're supposed to do on the global level. I saw the country that we strived to be and wanted to be and she could have made it happen.

MALVEAUX: Will you cast that vote for him in November? Will you cast your vote for Barack Obama in November or will you vote for McCain or not vote at all?

PRICE-MILLS: I will not vote for McCain. I will not vote for McCain. But for the first time since I was 18, and that's been a long time, I may be faced with something I don't want to have to deal with.

I've never not voted. I am one of the strongest Democrats I know. I call up all my family and say, Carl, you need to get out the house, I don't care how much rain is pouring down. I don't what's going on in your schedule, you need to vote.

For the first time I'm faced with not being a person who calls them and says go vote. They may have to call me and tell me and remind me of how hard and how long we strived to get to the right to vote, the right to be here.

Experience counts. I don't care what anybody told you. And his resume is just -

MALVEAUX: Okay. Anne Price-Mills, thank you so much for joining us here on CNN. I appreciate it.

Obviously a very emotional delegate who says that she doesn't even know at this point whether or not she's going to vote in November; a very difficult decision for her - Wolf, Anderson.

COOPER: Suzanne, on Thursday night after Barack Obama's speech, let's try to find that delegate and see if she has changed her mind after hearing from Barack Obama and from Joe Biden.

1. Mary Williams

We who are Sen Clinton's supporters are going to vote for Sen Obama! We are voting for Sen Obama to show America we are taking action. Sen Clinton delivers! You can stand on her words – she can and will back them up! When it's all said and done Sen Obama will see the number of women who voted for him; he will know the helping hands of Sen Clinton has worked with him in achieving the White House for America. We are going to make Sen Clinton look great! The Power of sister hood is strong! We are NOT going to vote for Sen Mccain just because he has added a women as his running mate. OH NO! We would not insult Sen Clinton like that. To vote just because he has a women would send the wrong message that any women will do. That's not what we believe! Sen Clinton said MCCAIN NO WAY! We her supporters are going to carry out this charge- we are telling everyone we know "Girl, vote for Sen Obama!!! I'll sister has need of us...let us show up in record numbers!!! Show America we are achievers!!!!

August 31, 2008 at 2:34 am |
  2. Jenny

I was a Hillary supporter but now obama or John not sure anymore
    I know am one of the undecided voters out there and I can't see neither one of them bring in me or others, they need to speak more regarding issues with middle class and immigration what are they going to do about the border, but at the end I might just not vote this year it sucks but true

August 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  3. Charles

It's unfortunate that so many of these people seem hostile toward Obama just because Hillary didn't win the Primary. Are you really so torn up about her not winning the Primary that you'll consider action that could tip the scales in favor of another four years of war in Iraq? Apparently none of you has lost a child to that senseless war, and I pray you don't. Maybe you'll one day understand that there's more at stake here than whether or not your personal favorite is picked to lead the cause.

August 28, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  4. George S

Blackmother of 5, what is it you cannot stand. We are not to vote for people we like. Al Gore lost the election because people thought he was smarter than them. Well, guess what: HE WAS AND IS.

Give us some reasons for why you cannot stand seeing he and Michelle in the white house. I would love to hear them.

I am curious to know why people cannot stand Obama.

August 28, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  5. Lisa

I just don't get this.

If you have a multi-million dollar company, would you hand the CEO position over to some guy who just came out of grad school. Of course not. You would hire a guy or gal, who has experience, has a good record, and makes good decisions even though some of them may be difficult and unpopular. You need a responsible person.

I don't see why we are handing over our country to a guy that has no record. I have no faith in his words or plans. He is all talk. He puts his finger up to see which way the wind is blowing, and then tells you what you want to hear.

I hope people wake up to this guy soon.

August 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  6. Lisa

I think a lot of people had buyers remorse last night during Hillary's speech. I can't believe Obama is the candidate.

The "rock concert" Obama is going to throw tomorrow night only confirms my thoughts about him. A lot of fluff with no substance.
    (Buy the way, who is paying for that?? Who's paying for the security??)

I have voted democrat in every presidential election since 1988. This year, my vote will go to John McCain.

August 27, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  7. From California

Obama is not qualified to be President and nothing Hillary or anyone else says can change that fact. DNC really blew it this time. I am planning to vote for Ralph Nader, he is the only one who makes any sense to me. Yes, I know imy vote will be wasted, but I refuse to vote for either OBama or McCain. I can't stand either one!

August 27, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  8. Rendy Farrar

As an Independant and a woman my vote was going to Hillary, but now i'm forced to vote for John McCain! Thanks once again democrats to choose yet another candidate based on anything but what this country needs. Change? Barack will not give you dems. change but more of the same. You can look at the latest polls of the good ole folks in DC, less than 10% approval rating . Now with the possibility of Obama getting in the White House we will have 10 times of one of the worst political machines in history. GOD HELP AMERICA.

August 27, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  9. Deborah Andulini

Well, I am a single mother of 2 children, both of which are in college. I am a strong Clinton supporter. Senator Clinton is experienced but also sincere. She does not do business with illegal business people. Senator Clinton is honest and has brought much hope to many like myself.

I will not exercise my right to vote this coming November because Senator Obama and Senator McCain are the only 2 choices. This tells me one has no experience and the other, well I disagree with his policies. Experience, sincerity, honesty, and bringing true hope to this country are what we need. Not the false promise from Senator Obama and the same old story from Senator McCain.

Just because Senator Obama is a democrat does not mean he is a great democrat and has the experience to lead our nation.

Peace!

August 27, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  10. Zia

I see the same repub talking heads here – again.

HERE IS MY PROMISE – The way the repubs are muddling in Dems convenion, I will make it a point to support Ron Paul and will make sure all Dems like me tunes to his "Parrallel" convention. Repubs don't realize that there is always reaction to any acion that they take.

August 27, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  11. Christina, Windber, PA

Anne Price-Mills expressed feelings many of us share, and so much more eloquently than I could have. I'm sure her eloquence was inspired by her passion and belief in Hillary Clinton. There are many out here who agree with her: we were inspired and believed in her and we were robbed.

I was watchng the roll call and was once again dissillusioned. Hillary won the state of Massachusetts but during the roll call the majority of votes were given to Obama. If votes can change during the convention, they should have switched in Hillary's favor.

The unfairness in this is that we the people are the ones who will suffer the consequences if Obama can't live up to the hype and faith that the party elders created around him.

It was a great interview though, thanks Suzanne for giving Ms Price-Mills a chance to speak. I'm looking forward to hearing from her again on Thursday as Anderson suggested.

August 27, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  12. blackmotherof 5 ,VA

no change for me I will never vote for Obama. rather see Mccain in office, i kind of gotting use to the high gas and bill that i can ride for another 4 yrs , I cant stand the thought of Obama and Michele in office..

August 27, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  13. George Schultz

What was Bush's qualifications to be president?
    A couple failed companies and running a losing baseball franchise.
    Give me a break on the lack of experience issue.
    All I heard about Bush 8 years ago was that he wasn't the smartest tool in the shed, but he was a good leader who would appoint smart people around him.
    Let's look at those people: Rumsfeld (disgraced), Powell (disgusted), and Cheney who personifies evil.
    Wake up America!
    What are you afraid of?
    Higher Taxes? How many of you are in the top 20% of earners?
    Health Care? Isn't taxing your earnings on Health Care benefits an increase in taxes?
    The Mis-Managed War in Iraq? It is time to focus our money elsewhere like maybe on our own infrastructure.
    Abortion? The Supreme Court will eventually have final say and Bush made sure of that so it should be a non-issue.
    Money is a weapon and this country is out of it. It is time to take it on the chin financially for a few years so that we may prosper in the future as a whole.
    Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.
    What terrorists has Obama hung with Al?
    How will the McCain Plan help you personally?
    Will it help gas go below $4, will it help Coffee go below $12, Will it help milk go below $4?
    Wake up.

August 27, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  14. GAIL Centre,Al;

I am a Hillary supporter, but nobody 's changed my mind about Obama. I'll never vote for a community organizer, to run our country. All the hateful preachers, deals with Tony Rezko, crooked chicago politics, and terrorist he's hung with for years are shameful.Michelle Obama is worse, just read her thesis. My vote won't be for the likes of him, can't take that risk. I know MCcain he's been the senate for years, even if I had to vote for Bush, at least we know their backgrounds. NO OBAMA for me . Nobody could ever say anything to make me change my mind.

August 27, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  15. Sandy Pennsylvania

Well said Anne Price-Mills!

August 27, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  16. GAIL Centre,Al;

I cannot believe that we are about to nominate Obama for the highest office of the land.I think the democrates have lost their minds. After Hillary's speech last night I think the dems know they have the wrong candidate. Our country is in a crisis that needs to be addressed quickly, and we're going to let a community organizer help us. God help us all. People had better wake up or this country is doomed.

August 27, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  17. George Schultz

How is it possible that Malveaux be called a journalist and not ask the obvious question to this emotional woman how she feels about Obama breaking the glass ceiling for the African American?
    It is our right and our duty to vote for our leaders and for someone to say that they will not cast a vote because their candidate in the primary did not win. Let me repeat this: Hillary did not win the primary.
    I almost voted for her in the primary, and I feel she was a good candidate. She fights like a republican which is what the Democratic Party needs, but she lost.
    She has done a great thing by setting this precedence for women.
    But, how can we forget what Obama has done for African Americans?
    I am not African American, but I am an American. All people should have basic rights and opportunities whether male, female, black, white, christian, muslim, or atheist.
    I feel the pain of this lady that was interviewed. I felt this pain when Al Gore lost. I felt it even more when John Kerry lost.
    But, she must look at the big picture here. Let's not cry for four more years.
    I ask this woman that has not been won over by Obama:
    Please listen to him. He will win you over.
    How has John McCain won her over?
    A non-vote in still a vote for McCain if she is truly a Democrat.
    I am a pragmatist. Kennedy was right for his time. Reagan was right for his time. Clinton was right for his time.
    It is now Obama's time. Give him a chance. Please.

August 27, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  18. William A

If experience is a major credential for President America has had many that didn't fit the criteria! Why do you think Nominee select VP'S and other Cabinet Members? No one can be experienced in every aspect that encompasses the appointed position of President! If experience is your only concern regarding Obama you'll have much more dire concerns regarding McSame. To mention only a few, More War, No change in the current economic status unless for the worse, No Universal Health Coverage, No Equal Wage for Equal Work, No AId for University Students, No Education Programs, No Green Programs, shall I go on. In other words, with McSame you will have exactly what your experiencing now only with a louder drum beat!

In my opinion, Americans decision should be on what is the best for all Americans and the Nation not what Party I like better or what Nominee I like best. These are dire times that require dire solutions!

August 27, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  19. Marlon

Obama is the youngest of all the politicians who wanted to run for president. Everyone else is old. We don't have time for a person like Obama to be in the senate for a hundred before people feel he has enough experience. And he has great experience. He is a Constitutional scholar which is what the repulsives want to take away from us.

The reality is, he's the only one who wants to do something different. While everyone was screaming WAR WAR WAR and siding with President Bush. Obama and a minority of others were saying no war! When McCain and Clinton were talking about the gas tax holiday and windfall profit tax Obama was saying that would not help. And now Clinton realized that it wouldn't have helped...she admitted it in her speech last night. Obama does not rush to make decisions just to be the first one out making announcements. He evaluate situations and make sound judgements. So experience does not equal good judgement which is what Obama has shown.

Also, for all you Hillary supporters, if there are so many of you why did you allow her to borrow money from her own bank account.? Where was your money when she needed it?

To quote the famous journalist Wendy Williams "how you doing?"

August 27, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  20. Audrey

You all keep hollering no experience how can you judge someone if you have no experience if you do then you run for the office otherwise be quiet"

Well, the difference is I'm not running for president. Frankly, I don't think I have enough experience to run this country. However, as inexperienced as I am, I think I have the right to expect that the next president actually has experience.

August 27, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  21. Donald Of Orange County

I dnt have to wonder know I see why all billary voters lack EDUCATION , if you thinking abt switching to REP or staying home then it shows you intelligence. Dont forget if BO losses and billary runs in 2012 dont come a begging for are vote.

August 27, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  22. kp

Hillary is no leader. Who is she leading? Her own supporters won't listen to her.

August 27, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  23. Bart from Chicago

Not around the northside of Chicago,everyone is against Obama ,Mayor Daley, and the IL. Legislature.

August 27, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  24. Heather

Lampe?
    I live in Cal and I can write Hillary in the blank provided on the ballot.Thank you for your comment.

Voting is a very personal decision and I know that I am lucky to live in a country where I can even have this type of conversation.People in other countries are often threatned just to vote or to vote for someone they don't like.We don't have that problem and we are lucky. I could never not vote. But I can vote in my own way that I am confortable with. Writing Hillary in let's me stick with my principles. I think the world we live in both nationally and internationally tells us the kind of experience needed for being president at that time. Right now with the world we live in we need someone who is tough and a moderate. Obama is totally lacks it. If it was Colin Powell I would think otherwise. I'm sorry Oprah, Obama is not one of my favorite things.

August 27, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  25. Cindy

Everyone of Obama's supporters keep harping on why do people say he has no experience yet Hillary and McCain do? Well that is because they have lived, breathed and ate politics for more than 25 or more years. That is what you call experience. No one means that they have been president before. Get a clue! Obama hasn't even cut his teeth yet in politics that is where the no experience comes in. Why do you think he chose Biden....35 years in politics. HELLO!

Either you have it or you don't. You can't fake it or learn it as you go.

Cindy...Ga.