August 27th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Down & Up

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

Gustav has me worried. The storm may only be a topical depression as I type this, but the latest forecast has Gustav heading into the Gulf of Mexico this weekend as a Category 3 hurricane. Friday is the third anniversary of Katrina. Shell Oil is already evacuating some Gulf staff. I am a firm believer in “better safe than sorry," and I am not an alarmist…but I am a little worried. I’ll be keeping a close eye on Gustav and will stay tuned to the CNN Weather Center.

_________

One million people’s personal security now compromised for a mere $64. A computer loaded with account numbers, passwords, cell numbers and signatures of customers at Royal Bank of Scotland, NatWest and American Express was sold for that tiny sum, causing an enormous amount of concern. Wow. Seems a bit irresponsible, no?

________

I don’t want to be Debbie Downer today, so how about a CNN Hero to end on a high note? Anne Mahlum runs most days at 5 a.m. – that’s an inspiration in itself! But she took that love of running and turned it into so much more.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Hi Erica
    That's a case of deja vu all over again with Gustev and the anniversary of Katrina ,it's scary for al of the people who are having to be evacuated from their homes .My prayers are with them and their families.
    Thanks Erica for your post
    see you later: Michelle

August 28, 2008 at 9:19 am |
  2. Annie Kate

I'm getting really concerned about the hurricane. During Katrina we got some of the aftermath of the storm after it struck the Gulf Coast and it brought power down for an entire week during the hottest and most humid part of the summer. I'm an inside girl and I love my air conditioning – I hope Gustav goes and strikes some uninhabited place somewhere else. I worry for the people on the coast who went through this with Katrina – I hope they all evacuate if it comes their way. They can head up to Birmingham – we have a lot of hotels and a lot of churches who stepped in last time to help feed the refugees and we'll do it again. Just everyone please stay safe.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  3. Melissa, Los Angeles

I'm surprised no one contacted eBay to notify them of the listing. With all the transactions that go on, I understand that eBay can't screen every posting so shame on the public who saw this posting and did nothing. Now a million people have their lives compromised because no one spoke up.

August 27, 2008 at 6:38 pm |
  4. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I have received two emails from Gov. Jindal (through Friends of Bobby Jindal) about hurricane preps. Last administration I was working for the government, and we were on our own to figure things out. This time, we're being warned, double warned, and triple warned. What a difference an administration change makes! Today I went to the bank, gassed up my car, and checked non-perishable food and bottled water just in case. When I went to pick up my scripts at the pharmacy I was reminded that Hurricane Andrew's anniversary was yesterday (and my home area was hit right on by him). Katrina is this weekend, Gustav is in the Gulf....just strange. My students are freaked already. Can anyone blame them? PTSD all over the place. And what is so sad is Mary Landrieu and Joe Biden are both tacky enough to milk this as a campaign issue when reality says she sucked after the storm, Biden only came because his kid was connected to Tulane, and everyone around here knows the dem mayor of New Orleans and governor of the state are the real reasons so little was done so late.

August 27, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  5. Sandra, Wadley Ga.

Good evening Erica. We should all be a little worried, especially the partying politicians. I hope and pray they will never forget Katrina. In the past days, I have been so focused on the convention, however, at this time, my heart is with the people on the Gulf Coast. God Bless them.

Way to go Anne; you are an inspiration.

August 27, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  6. Claire

I, too, am worried about the Hurricane. No matter where it hits a Cat 3 or 4 storm will cause a lot of damage! And as others have said it will probably hurt gas prices again.

Miss seeing you on the coverage, Erica. Thanks for your posts.

August 27, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  7. Lilibeth

Kind of strange about Gustav, that it is happening around the same time Katrina hit. I’m praying that a miracle will happen and Gustav will move away from land. Let’s hope for the best.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 27, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  8. Tina

I live in Crystal Springs, MS and I am worried too. I live inland about 145 miles. When Katrina hit , Crystal Springs was out of power for a week. I cleaned out the freezer today just to be on the safe side. It could go anywhere as these things do, but I'm also worried.
    Oh.....here we go again with the gas prices.

August 27, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  9. Dennis

Glad to hear that Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal is staying in his state in event that Gustav hits there. He was supposed to speak at the Republican Convention. This man has his priorities and this country in perspective. I hope that one day he will seek a national political office.

August 27, 2008 at 3:09 pm |