August 26th, 2008

Michelle more emotive than Barack?

Editor's note: During CNN's coverage of the Democratic National convention last night, CNN's Senior Political Analyst, David Gergen made some observations after Michelle Obama's speech. The transcript is found below. What did you think of Michelle Obama's speech?

CAMPBELL BROWN: Anderson, I want to ask David to follow up on the point that he had made earlier, a complaint, David, that you had had earlier, about sort of the lack of compelling message coming out of this convention so far. Did that change, do you think, when she took the stage tonight?

DAVID GERGEN: I think she rescued the evening for the Democrats. But much more importantly, she gave the validation for Barack Obama and the Obama family that I think Americans were looking for. You wanted to have some better sense of who are these people, what are their values, where do they come from? And more importantly, what do they believe our future ought to be about?

And it was a very deft speech in all sorts of ways. Not just the grace points - I mean, she did this so well about reaching out to Hillary Clinton, talking about the 80th anniversary. She did it well by wrapping together the anniversary for women and the anniversary for Martin Luther King, the two strands that define her as an African- American woman.

And she was - but she spoke so movingly about her own personal life and where she came from and why she went to public allies and began to get so interested in public service but then linked it up to Barack Obama and what he's all about.

I don't think I've heard a more interesting conversation about what he did when he went as a community organizer. How he went block to block and how he was serving a lot of people who were working class people or people who'd lost their jobs.

And from that point of view, I actually thought in some ways, she, for all of the wonderful speeches he gives in rallies in big, big speeches, this was actually more emotionally connective than his speeches. And somehow - there was no - you couldn't possibly accuse her of elitism after that kind of speech.

And she did demonstrate a love of country and showed that does not define somebody by military service although that so valuable and she honored that. But it also comes in other forms of service. And that's what she and her husband stand for.

So I thought it was a first class speech and I think she gave us a glimpse of somebody who might be a very different model for a First Lady. People will have to wrestle with whether that's something they want whether or not.

And that John McCain story, let's face it, is a very compelling story and they're going to have a new story to tell next week about who he is.

But I thought that tonight they made that connection on values and on sort of sensible, who these pertinent people are and why they care about people like you in ways that were a breakthrough for the campaign.

1. GAIL Centre,Al;

Michelle Obama can talk till she is blue in the face, but I'll never vote for Obama.He is not the man we need for this country. All his associates are hateful preachers, crooks, and terrorist. God help us all if he is elected. He's a wolf in sheeps clothing, and she is worse. Just read her thesis, wake up America before it's too late.

August 26, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  2. Kate Fergus

Michelle Obama did a great job last night. There is no denying that. However, it is exactly what is expected of a first lady in the 21st century. Nothing extraordinary, just a performance expected of her if she wants to wear the first lady crown – no less.

August 26, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  3. Dennis

Once you read Michelle's thesis you'll have an objective insight into this woman, in her own words.

August 26, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  4. Jeff in Los Angeles

To Cindy from GA. You said the following:

"As far as her speech goes…it was the same old thing that she has been saying all along. I heard nothing new in it. The only thing that saved last night from being a total bomb was Ted Kennedy and his speech and the tribute given to him."

First off, I think there have been many comments from you on the different blog postings here on AC360. From what I can remember, you aren't an Obama supporter. I believe you might be a Hillary gal. So, the bottom line is, you've made up your mind, and you aren't open to listening to anything objectively. If you listened to her speech, there was alot of new things she said. I knew nothing of her childhood, her upbringing, her children, the way she met and fell in love with Barack.

The bottom line I am trying to say to all of you Hillary people who have made up your mind to not like this guy and his wife, open up your minds a little. If Hillary was the nominee, you would want the same respect in return.

August 26, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  5. Sandy C.

My comment relates to Rob's charge regarding Michelle Obama's Princeton thesis, specifically his claim that it expresses hatred toward whites and blames whites for everything. Give me a break, Rob! Have you even read her thesis? I just finished reading it. I'm white, by the way. I’m not voting for Obama, but it has nothing to do with his race or his wife's thesis. Her study was related to the effect of a Princeton education and the predominately white Ivy League environment on its black students. She found that black students who assimilated felt less connected to the black community and less desire to help lower class blacks following graduation than those who considered themselves separationists. She does address the fact that the university academic and co-curricular programs catered to the overwhelming white majority, but I doubt you could counter that claim with any degree of success. I think it is a valid and well done study and that her findings were significant.

The only conflict I can see in relation to her role as first lady is in her opinion that black individuals who reach this level of success are morally obligated to defining a hierarchy by which to prioritize the groups that they will devote their efforts to helping. In essence, she notes that a person can only have one group at the top of the priorities list and that in the case of an affluent black individual; the group that they should help most is lower class blacks.

While I don't see this as faulty reasoning or even morally questionable, I do think that if you are seeking the presidency of the United States, as is her husband, you cannot make these kinds of distinctions, and your duty is to help all people within your borders, without regard to race, sex, creed . . . yadda yadda.

But to attack her as racist based on her thesis is outrageous. Before you go blasting someone for their graduate school opinions, at least take the time and effort to read what you're attacking.

August 26, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  6. Pat

I am a white lady in the middle income bracket in my fifties. I have neices and nephews of African descent.

After all the commentary on last night's speakers, especially Michelle Obama, and after listening to reporters trying to initiate attacks by the Democrats against the Republicans, I have come to this conclusion, –
    The true reasons hiding behind the hate and fear of an African American being elected President are – (although when convenient the argument is made that he is one of us as he is half white)

1) Americans still hold a large dark secret where racism is concerned and it is indeed still alive, kicking and doing well.
    2) There is as much divisiveness in the Republican Party as there is in the Deomocratic Party. However, there is one larg difference and that is the blantant Hatred the Republicans hold against the Democrats which is more than obvious on these blogs.

And I don't believe for one minute that the so called Hillary supporters are what they claim to be. I think they're problem is that there are only two choices and they like neither. When Hillary was in the race they could make history by electing th first female President and gender difference is much easier to swallor than racial differences. But regardless I feel very confident that the next President of the United States will be Barack Obama in spite of the obvious hatred and fear. As the Republicans only have one thing to offer, more of the same Bush policies which equal the same devastation the Nation bears now!

August 26, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  7. lyn-NY

Michelle made history for all women last night. No where in history as any woman or 1st lady to be or 1st lady have ever addressed any political party in such a compelling manner.

Michelle made all women proud of whom they are over and over again. Michelle is one in a million.
    (Forget about the little pieces that want to drag us all down, because at the end of the day THEY LOST)

She stated her position, answered question that needed not to be asked. Michelle was in your face outstanding and very profound.

Michelle was not only awesome, she was extraordinary

August 26, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  8. Ted

to Carol Ann-***YAWN***
    This is about Michelle Obama's speech, not yours.

August 26, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  9. Ted

I watched her entire speech. It was very dry and rehearsed. I am sure she is not used to talking to groups made up of many different people from all races and backgrounds. She has more passion when she speaks about her own race and its trials and tribulations. The part with the kids and their father was the most touching, but as a white male the Obama's platform does not speak to me or my needs.

August 26, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  10. Enrique

I don't think is fair to criticize the convention as being soft on Republicans when the networks refuse to show most speeches and rather focus on endless punditry. There were plenty of attacks but they were just not covered by people who apparently prefer to hear the sounds of their own voices in an echo chamber.

August 26, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  11. liz-nyc

Answer to KJ;

Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.
    The haters are on the war path no matter what the Obama's do or say.

Let them wallow in their own dung, because our world does not need or want the stench or the smell of bogotry.

Obama-08.

August 26, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  12. KJ

Why is there so much talk of race on here? I thought the whole point was to look at the issues and not at race or ethnicity.

If you liked Michelle be proud of her for being a fine speaker, not because she is a woman or her race. If the person has the merit give them the respect because of their actions.

Personally I am interested in what her thesis in college was about? Someone mentioned it earlier on here. Did she really write such an awful paper about whites??? I can not see such a sweet and beautiful woman saying such terrible things.

August 26, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  13. MJN34

The media missed a couple important points in Michelle's speech that I believe we made to distinguish the Obamas from the McCains:

First, Michelle focused on their love story and their commitment to family values, particularly with the stories about how Barack met her, pursued her, the ice cream, the nervous car-ride home from the hospital, etc. The McCains don't have a similar story. She was an attractive and wealthy 20-something and he was a married man in his mid-40s when they began dating. Then he left his first wife with 3 kids and married Cindy just a few weeks after the divorce. That is a striking comparison to the Obama story.

Second, Michelle focused on her parents and Barack's mother and grandparents, particularly with regard to their economic struggles in life. While John's family has a distinguished and privileged military history, Cindy's is a bit more sketchy. Her father - like John, come to think of it (there's a reverse Oedipus joke somewhere in here) - left his first wife and their child to chase a younger woman (Cindy's mom) after being wounded during the war. It's been reported that he left nothing in his estate to his first daughter. And I think he had some federal convictions in addition to his potential part in the Keating Five scandal. That's a striking contrast when compared with Michelle's stories about her father's blue collar background, his undying love for her mother and their children and his struggles with MS.

For me as a voter, I don't care about scandal in the candidates' personal lives and it doesn't affect my vote. But I did feel like the Dems were sending a direct (albeit subtle) message that the Obama ticket is the clear Family Values ticket in way that the McCains could not compete. I was surprised that no one in the media picked up on it.

Just a theory.

August 26, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  14. Mike in NYC

Sharon wrote:

"...but can they keep the true Michelle pent up for long?"

For her husband's sake, they'd better.

Brilliant? LOL.

Face it folks. By rational standards, she's not that impressive.

August 26, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  15. Ken

Michelle Obama is first-class-first-lady material. She is solid spiritually, professionally and personally. She is the All-American embodiment of a great wife, mother, sister and daughter.

If you did not hear that in her Monday night Democratic Convention message, it is because you had already decided in advance not to listen.

August 26, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  16. Caren in Los Angeles/soon-to-be Boston

When I heard Michelle speak, I really felt like I was already watching her as our First Lady. That's how clear that picture was to me. It was almost a certainty. David Gergen is right- she will be a different take on a First Lady, but it's what we need. She's real, she's intelligent, she's honest, and she's inspiring. It's the first time throughout this entire 19 month campaign that I have ever clearly seen Barack as our President. Now I don't know what that says really, considering she is the one who gave the speech, and not him, but she made me agree with and believe everything she said, and that is the point of this whole convention after all, isn't it? It's like one big, long church sermon or something (I'm Jewish, so I don't know what church sermons are like, but it made me think of that, listening to all the speeches back to back yesterday.) It's a big pep rally, and she was the biggest cheerleader of them all, so I agree completely with David on all his thoughts.

August 26, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  17. Deb (NY)

Very well said Carol Ann.

August 26, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  18. Carol Ann

I have been watching political analysis and reading these types of blogs for many months and what amazes me is the level of hatred that exists in this country. No matter what Sen Oabama and his lovely wife says and does, it will not be enough to please some people.

For those who don't want to vote for Sen. Obama because he sat in Trinity Church for 20 years (even though the highly explosive excerpts that we watched for weeks on end were from 3 sermons that he did NOT witness) I say go ahead and vote for Sen McCain. But DON'T complain when the fallout begins.

For those who don't want to vote for Sen Obama because he is inexperienced, remind yourselves how well the economy is running, try toimagine how much damage has been done to military veterans and their families (we haven't even scratched the surface on that yet)
    and watch international news to see our standing in the rest of the world thanks to the experienced President that we now have.

For those of you thinking that I am some angry black person trying to defend my candidate, GUESS AGAIN...

August 26, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  19. JC- Los Angeles

David, the last thing Michelle did was give validation for Barack Obama.

That validation needs to come from the Senator himself; Michelle, in her painfully scripted and bland recitation, showed that she is a loving spouse and mother but little more.

In the past Michelle Obama has come across as the born leader while her husband is the born face man and politician; unfortunately, last night Michelle seemed more like a politician.

Her husband's inability to shake the Clintons is inexcusable; any real leader preaching unity would have strategically brought the party together and put aside any lingering discomfort with rivals.

Now it's up to Barack Obama to validate why he should be our next President; with his wife sitting on six boards, with pricey book advances and questionable real estate deals with Rezko, Barack Obama needs to finally show why the Obamas are different and why things will change.

August 26, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  20. S Applebee

If Obama is such a great father he should do us and his children a favor and wait eight more years to run for president. These next eight years are very important years for his children and the country. It will also give him eight more years of “experience”. You can not be a “great” father to your children and give 100% to your country. I think this very fact says it all about Obama! It’s all about HIM!!

August 26, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  21. Fay, CA

Michelle Obama effectively established who she and her husband are as people and what their dreams and hopes are for the future of this country in her excellent speech last night. Hopefully the "meat" that many of the pundits are looking for from this campaign will become more evident as the convention progresses, but since there are so many misconceptions out there about her and her husband, it was important that she, and not the pundits, define exactly where they stand.

August 26, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  22. Steve - Philadelphia, PA

Dave, I loved it! and I've been watching TV coverage of conventions since Adlai Stevenson and Estes Kefauver - those two first names compete with Barack! I am a white male Catholic age 63 and will be voting for Obama-Biden! It would be wonderful to see a Young Family in the White House - especially this young family. Michelle made the point that there is nothing more important in America and American than beinging a loving husband and wife (very conservative view point when the institution of marriage is under attack) - and a family with a deep desire to raise your children the right way with good values - that seems to me to have been her very touching and well delivered message.

August 26, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  23. Sharon

Maybe the Make over is working on Michelle.

She seems to have been turned into a Stepford wife.

Mentally, emotionally or chemically some how, but can they keep the true Michelle pent up for long?

August 26, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  24. TEDD

Here's a hot one guys. I would love for Cindy Mccain to tell us the whole story, yes the "whole" story , just like Mrs. Obama did, without hiding those details (where we can get those values if at all there are any ).of how she and her huband John Mccain Met,and got married.we would also like to know more about her because we Americans "feel like we don't know her yet ".she needs to tell us all about her life story ,the seven houses and all the glam.for us to be able to relate to her, or judge who is the elitist here , who lived the "Paris Hilton" drinking "celebrity" party life style , and who is out of touch with hard working ordinary american people, like the ones who work all thier life to archive the American dream. Is she enspiring at all to America and to young girls inAmerica and around the world as a potential first lady?? tell me guys.or would her hand just hurt again when you need her and want to grab on to it.

August 26, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  25. Jan from Wood Dale IL

Michelle Obama delivered her speech perfectly. But the speech dealt only with the selling of the Obama's to the public, and had nothing to do with the theme of the night "One Nation".

I also found it disturbing that Michelle's only reference to Hillary Clinton was the "18 million cracks in the glass ceiling". Hillary's presidential campaign wasn't about cracking through the glass ceiling. Her entire campaign dealt with ways she would fight to improve the lives of others. Rather than giving Hillary credit for reaching out to so many people across the country, in all walks of life, Michelle reduced Hillary's campaign down to one based on sexism. Then in the same respect, should we consider Barack's entire presidential campaign is only based on him being an African American, and not on the policy issues he represents?

August 26, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  26. Pat

Let's put Michelle in a proper perspective by comparison.
    Laura Bush and Michelle – there is no comparison. Michelle is heads above Laura like Obama is Heads above George!

Michelle is a Leader in her own right. The only one in decades I felt that matched Baracks' compassion, charm and charisma as an orator.

I felt she was very open, truthful and forthright and came across as very compassionate with a desire to share her, their personal life with all. She was very direct but with a light, among friends aura.

Anyone who can criticize this woman's spectacular, heartwarming, heartmoving, genuinely felt life story could only be an Obama antagonist.

August 26, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  27. april lee

I'm a 29 year old African America women who has be supporting Michelle and obama from day one. The first time I seen her I knew that their was something special by her. Ehen I first seen Cindy I knew she took medication, you can only tell. I believe Michelle speech was great, as a African women she made me feel as if I accomplaished something by voting for her husband. During her speech she talked about how we will be able to tell our children of this day. She brought both blacks and white to tears, and that show that the tread is being mend. Her husband being the first African American presdient is the truth and it will set us all free.

August 26, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  28. peggy

we have to elect Obama for president,I cant believe anyone looks at
    McCain as a president. 4 more years of Bush will destory this country
    the families of this country.me my life.cant people see this.
    Fox news has done everything but Crush Obama with their shoes.
    chris wallace today was everthing But "fair and balanced"
    wake up america vote for obama
    Peggy

August 26, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  29. Bryce ATL GA

This was a great speech by MO. For the people who still don't get it and think it lack substance you may never get it. The speech wasn't design to go deep in policy and issues. It was designed for you Americans who are not on board with the Obama's not because you disagree on issue, but because you may find them hard to accept for what ever reason. What she did was speak on the similarty that we have. She tried to convay that her family has come up from humble beginnings, to achieve the American dream.

The Obama's are not some sort of anti-christ family that only concern is African American struggles. They are a American family that believe Barack Obama is best person to take this country in a new and correct direction. If you are still scared you may forever be.

August 26, 2008 at 1:07 pm |
  30. Raphael

I absolutely agree with Gergen. We are tired of seeing polite and rehearsed people talking to us about important issues. Mrs. Obama is brilliant and genuine, a perfect example of what a first lady should be. I disagree with all negative comments about her. The reality is we need the Obama family to represent us and help us achieve the overdue change we americans deserve. My only concern is Racism in America, a profound wound needing to heal and this is the perfect opportunity to treat such an infectious institutionalized behavior. Wake up America and vote for Obama!!!

August 26, 2008 at 1:01 pm |
  31. JT

I am troubled on her line "I left a big law firm" to go back and work in the community.

I heard she was working in a hospital making almost $300,000 a year.
    I am almost sure she was not making that much money in that big law firm she is talking about. Maybe that is the reason why she left the law firm.

If she really wants to served this country, she should joined the military.

Her speech sounded good. But something is not believable.

August 26, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  32. Paris

Anderson last night you kept saying this is a first, this is a first.

My god are you that biased?
    You mean you can’t even remember that Hillary was also very well educated and a wife of a nominee?
    When I say your coverage is a disgrace to journalism this is exactly why.

Hillary was the one that changed the way we look at first ladies, and no matter what you do CNN you can’t take that away.

August 26, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  33. ginger

Why is it that African Americans always have to prove two to three times above White Americans that we love this country? Main stream America jumped all over this beatiful lady before getting to know her as a person. But last night she spoke from her heart & soul. Michelle grew up in blue color family just like so many of us have. She excelled in school and went on to become a beautiful wife and mother. Why can't we just celebrate this?

This is one special woman!!!!

August 26, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  34. Don Mitchell

I agree with you 100% Mr. Gergen as I so often do...Michelle Obama was marvellous. Strong, passionate, extremely intelligent and an excellent speaker yet down-to-earth as well. James Carville seems to think the evening was a wash and that it should all be about attack, attack, attack. He's back in "Hillary-ville" methinks. The GOP are down in the mud and will continue the same old dirty tricks and slimy tactics that they always have (Hey Karl – are you back there somewhere?!?) but you know what? Maybe it's time to wrap our heads around the fact that it may be possible...just maybe...to elevate this election in the manner of the lovely Mrs. Obama and her husband the soon-to-be (I fervently hope) next President. Pipe dream, right?? Probably, but Senator Obama truly makes me believe it's possible and Michelle Obama set just the right tone for that. What a terrific First Lady she will be.

August 26, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  35. Mark, VA

No, no, no!!! All she did is say what you all thought she needed to say. There is nothing genuine about a "prepare" politically motivated speech. Again, details on issues is what we undecided voters are looking for. Pretty speeches and feel good stories do not fill my car with gas or put food on my table.

August 26, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  36. TESAP; SAVANNAH, GA

CONCERN.............. I FULLY AGREE............

🙂

August 26, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  37. Frieda

She looked good and pretty. But there were some statements that left me wondering:

She mentioned she left the law firm to be community organizer. she gets paid $300,000 a year in a hospital ...so she sounded that she sacrificed a lot to be community organizer..

She talked about Obama being in the state senate, but what does that mean?? He voted "present" 103 times and he has not taken any side...THAT IS NOT CHANGE, THAT IS NOT COURAGE...so what does Obama has done that I should vote for him?

August 26, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  38. C. D. MARSH

I would prefer to see CNN Reporters stick to the true fundamentals of journalism. By reporting the news as objectively rather than been subjective. Many times they tried to be Pundits and Prophets.

For example, they are trying to tell the Public and Senator Borak Obama how to run his campaign, to start off on Monday by attacking their opponents and offering red-meat.

If they know so much about politics, why are they not running for political office?

August 26, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse NY

On Michelle: She was articulate but failed to deliver any reason to vote for her husband. They both have nice American dream stories, as do tens of millions of other Americans; the vast majority of whom don't have the qualifications to be President. The themes in Michelle's speech could reasily been from any one of the many 'hope' speeches going back to the 1960's. I suppose that the values aspect might influence some, but probably not many. It's not about values, it's about who is qualified and who is not.

On Kennedy: Why does the Dem party lionize someone with such a sordid past?

August 26, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  40. rob

yes, she did make a good speech and looked nice. BUT, WHAT ABOUT HER SENIOR THESIS IN COLLEGE! what a HYPOCRITE! she wrote her thesis on how SHE HATES WHITES, and blaming them for everything under the sun. let someone publish that and we will see how much she is liked , and how much of a hypocrite she really is .

August 26, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  41. Ron from Philly

A couple of points I would like to address about Mr. Gergen's remarks. First, I agree she delivered a very emotional speech. You could tell it was heart felt . Her love for her family and country was clear and moved me to tears. I wanted them to adopt me. I loved it when her brother proudly pointed out the fact that she has many accomplishments in her own right. I can't help but think, why would they put themselves through the rigor of a presidential campaign. They have a wonderful loving family, both could have sustained very lucrative careers, but they chose to make a difference.

Second, I do not think Mr. Gergen's remark that she "saved the night" was completely accurate. If CNN's correspondents would have shut their mouths and let us hear from the speakers onstage, we could have got a true sense of what was being said onstage. The reporters were so focused on the fact that they were the only cable news network on the floor (showing off to Fox) and more interested in their techie toys and displaying their own communicating skills. They forgot that the viewers were tuned in to see the speakers, not the reporters.

Last, I'm curious as to what Mr. Gergen meant by "she gave us a glimpse of somebody who might be a very different model for a First Lady. People will have to wrestle with whether that’s something they want." Exactly what is it about her that people would be wrestling with wanting or not?

August 26, 2008 at 11:52 am |
  42. Candice

I thought Michele was terrific. One thing I do want to note is that the pundits are suggesting that the convention hasn't gone negative enough against J. McCain. I realize that Barack has got to fight back. But I worry about the future of this country when we elect people based on how well they can assassinate their opponents character.
    The Republicans are going so negative b/c apparently it works. THey have trivialized Barack's success without asking why he's been successful. They laugh at the audacity of hope without questioning why they don't seem to have any of their own.
    Our problems in this country are dire. We need hope, solutions, and everything in between to solve them. We MUST believe that there is a way to a brighter, safer, and healthier future for this country. If we refuse to believe in those possibilities, then we will believe the negative ads.
    I know Barack has to go negative now b/c he really has no choice if he wants to win the election. But if this turns into a slug fest, were all headed for an unhappy result. No matter what.
    Go America! Go Barack!

August 26, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  43. Jean

Michelle did an excellent job in letting the country know they are no different from any other family, but because they are African American White america cannot get past her husband's color.

White's who will not vote for him becaue of his color need to be honest and just say so. People need to know what is for you will happen.

August 26, 2008 at 11:50 am |
  44. Michelle

People that have anything negative to say about Michelle Obama and her speech is obviously envious of her and her accomplishments. She is awesome and so is Barack and her family.

August 26, 2008 at 11:44 am |
  45. Jolene

I'm in agreement with Gergen's assessment. I saw a completely different side to Michelle Obama last night. She executed that speech eloquently and I felt it came from her heart, especially the love for her mother, father, brother, husband, and her girls. The part about her father, his struggle with MS, and the fact that she feels he is with her every day was very touching.

It seems like we tend to see Michelle as this strong, determined person and as a woman, I admire that. However last night, we got to see her softer side and I don't believe it was an act at all.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 26, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  46. Concern

AS a African American female, I was extremely proud of Michelle Obama. You ask to know who they are but instead you want bash of Bush's policies. You apparently hear what you want to hear, I heard varies people comment on the points that Barack will do when he wins this election. But what I see is the FEAR that is felt because he is BLACK. If he were WHITE and had exhibited his experiences,everyone would be on board. I am ashame at times of my country, we say one thing and show something else. You as media will not truly state the real fear because it is not politically correct. Barack Obama will fullfill the "DREAM" and when he does American will be EQUAL as express and exhibited what we say and will finally believe. Listen closely and you will hear that his campaign has been stating the point you just have not be listening.

August 26, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  47. Cynthia

David you are so correct in your analysis of the Michelle Obama speech. A lot of women in the audience were moved to tears because they heard something in Michelle's speech that spoke to their lives. Anyone that did not see the same or at least something good obviously have something within themselves that won't allow them and that is something that they will have to work out within themselves or the higher being they serve.

It will be interesting to see if Cindy McCain gives a speech when the Republicans have their convention.

August 26, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  48. Mike in NYC

Gergen is way too kind. One thinks he's following his own script.

MO's presentation was lackluster, and the content of her speech was generic.

August 26, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  49. Rahni, Connecticut

Michelle Obama did an excellent job personalizing her life and Barack's. Unfortunately, Michelle had to tell the people who feel uncomfortable with them that they are similar to them. Because they're African-American and intelligent, middle American don't feel comfortable with them due to their race not experience. The truth hurts!

Rahni, Connecticut

August 26, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  50. Cindy

I disagree with Gergen. I think that Michelle wasn't emotive enough. She seemed very subdued to me as if she was playing the roll of supportive housewife and not what she really is...a great lawyer and business woman. The image change doesn't work for me.

As far as her speech goes...it was the same old thing that she has been saying all along. I heard nothing new in it.

Cindy...Ga.